View Full Version : Native American ceremony, what to expect?"

gabbygirl372001
09-01-2004, 10:30 AM
I have been invited by my boyfriend to a pow wow in October at the prison. I have no idea what to expect. Can anyone please give me some information. I know there's singing and dancing and that sort of thing, but what else? Has anyone here ever been to a pow wow at a prison?

Mistify
09-01-2004, 10:39 AM
What Prison is this at ???

gabbygirl372001
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Its at Airway Heights, in Washington

JJT
09-01-2004, 01:57 PM
AHCC allows NA ceremonies? That is somewhat shocking to me. But then, I have a deep setted dislike for the facility.

Well... obviously, I don't know....... so heading on outta here.......

JJT

JustLisa
09-01-2004, 03:12 PM
I am invited tomorrow to go to Monroe Minimum for some sort of ceremony to dedicate something.. oh gosh.. I am terrible.. I am not sure exactly what it even is.. but don't think that I can make it as I have to work.. I guess the news and everything is going to be there... It is some sort of Native American Sweat Wall - I don't know anything about the Native American culture so I hope I am calling it the right thing....

gabbygirl372001
09-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Funny! I know that the native americans have a 'sweat lodge', but Im pretty sure that the public isnt welcome to that sort of thing. Hmmm wonder what it is. Guess you'll find out when you get there. Yes, AHCC does occasional have religious ceremonies as do all of the prisons.

luvzreeceycups
09-01-2004, 03:44 PM
hmm i've been to alot of powwows but none at a prison..not sure how they will work that!

PTO56489
09-01-2004, 03:47 PM
I think that is awesome !!! I have been to quite a few pow-wows...it's a lot of fun. The one's I've been to are about drum circles, dancing, traditional dress, and singing. There is usually a lot of traditional food. I am amazed that they would hold one at the prison. That is super !!! Let us know what it was like :)

Wingy
09-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Different prisons allow some ceremony...depends on where and how hard people fight for it, and more...I'll never understand why the First Nations Peoples beliefs are treated differently than other religions..Recently, an organization i work with was invited to hold a pow wow at a prison, we havent got all the details yet, but i am thinking it will be mostly singing and dancing, some teachings, no vendors or traders and if we are really lucky a feast. We have been told that the entire prison, staff and inmates will be invited, and we will get some special time with the Circle we have become a part of, inside....To me it sounds more like a pow wow of days gone by...a simple gathering of the people

i am thinking that you wont be participating in the sweat lodge as a guest...but maybe a new lodge has been built and there is a dedication ceremony...any ceremony i have been to requires a skirt that goes below your knees and your shoulders to be covered...thats only what i have been taught, by no means is it standard...you could call local tribal offices and find out whats appropriate.

Mistify
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
That is so GREAT!!!

Both my children are Native American. POW WOWS are so Great!! My Daughter Traditinal Danced as my Son preferred to Fancy Dance. The Sweat Lodge is also Wonderful As it cleanses your mind Spirit Soul and Body. You might want to check, directly to the Native American Spiritual Advisor at the Prison itself as I'm sure they will have rules governing this most SACRED EVENT ENJOY!!! Please let me know how it was wishing I was going to POW WOW at my Sons Prison

gabbygirl372001
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Im excited to go, and have always wanted to go to a pow wow! I am not native myself, but am very interested in the native culture/traditions, so this should be fun and interesting to me. I am not going until mid October, but as soon as I get back, I will update you all on the fun!

just kimmie
09-01-2004, 11:51 PM
ok so you asked about prison pow wows. I have been to a couple at purdy,when my mom was there, but it was when i was really young. I am sure that they are all still pretty much the same. when I went the women had made their own native american dress. there was a big and i mean big tee-pee. there was also native dance and drumming. basicly it's like a big party. well as much of a party as you can have in prison. I had a good time and got to spend all day outside and meet my mom's friends. I would recomend going if you have the chance even if you think it's not your kinda thing.

kimmie

redphoenixx
09-04-2004, 02:01 AM
I've been to a powwow at a prison here in Wisconsin. There was dancing, drumming, singing. There was a women's only dance and he had me get up dance. Being rather rather shy, I was soo embarassed, but I could see it was important to him, so I did. There was also a drawing for door prizes which were gifts made and donated by the native brothers. There would have been more, like pipe smoking and native foods, but the institution canceled that shortly beforehand.

QBFamilyAdvocat
09-12-2004, 11:51 PM
I went to visit my boyfriend on Saturday and although I didn't attend the pow wow I witnessed many Indians coming into the prison carrying drums and blankets. I could hear them singing and drumming as well. It sounded so neat.