View Full Version : Product Reviews: Health and Fitness Related Products

irisheyes66
08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
I'd like to see some opinions on the healthy grocery items available these days....lots of times, I'll want to try a new product on the market, but hate to buy it if I don't have any info.

So, good or bad, let's hear it!

irisheyes66
08-30-2004, 07:09 PM
How's that last low-carb cookbook you bought? What about the new piece of cardio equipment you bought from that infomercial....it is all it's cracked up to be? And that workout tape; is it easy enough for a beginner, or so difficult you just turn it off halfway through?

This thread is for opinions on workout videos, equipment of all price ranges, and written materials in the diet/health field. Let's save each other the hassle and expense of a worthless purchase, and share the details on the products that really do make a difference!

Oscar714
08-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I just finished doing my daily TAE BO work out, and I gotta hand it to Billy Blanks, the workouts are amazing. I purchased my set of 4 tapes, ranging from instructional to advanced probably 4 years ago, and I still love them! The set was about 80$ back then and every penny worth it. He comes out with new videos all the time, but I haven't felt the need to further my collection just yet. Really, the workout is amazing...... in 1 hour of Tae bo, the amount of calories worked off is 800!!!!!!! That is an incredibly high comparison to any other workout that I know of out there. And it is in the comfort of your own home!! I love that part. In my set, it includes:

* The instructional video ( explaining all the "moves" )
* An 8 minute video ( for when you are crunched for time )
* A basic video ( for a 1/2 hour workout )
* An advanced video ( for an hour long workout )

I definatly reccomend these tapes to anyone of any fitness level because no matter where you are starting at, you really can reach your goals with a healthy eating plan and a commitment to do tae bo regularly.

"Where there is a will, tae bo is the way. Tae bo will get you there" - Billy Blanks

www.taebo.com (http://www.taebo.com/)

Try it!!!
:wave: Oscar

1dayatatime
08-30-2004, 09:17 PM
I purchased the Beachbody slim in 6 series a couple of weeks ago. Well I returned it this past week. I am 29 and weigh 129 pounds---I am very active with my children and I am a nurse so I am constantly on the go. Those exercises were SOOOO hard. I couldnt keep up-then I would be so sore I could barely sit down and stand back up from the toilet!! Waste of money on S and H.

ONE

irisheyes66
08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Oscar, I have one of the newer Tae Bo videos.....I like it, my daughter hates it! It's packed in my garage, so I can't remember the exact title, but I know I bought it for $5 at a clearance sale at Bob's in Massachusetts :)

One, I never heard of Beachbody....is it a new series?

ohiogirl
08-30-2004, 09:46 PM
You can go to Walmart and for very cheap, you can purchase hand weights. I have some really small weights (1 and 2 pounds), but I also purchased a 10# weight. I love it! It's hard. :)

ohiogirl
08-30-2004, 10:00 PM
We have a store called "Low Carbs". It has candy bars (good), cereals, bagels, breakfast bars. Not just Atkins either.

I really like the Atkins breakfast bars (blueberry, chocolate chip and apple). I don't like the cinnamon bun type. You can throw them in your purse and eat anytime.

The shakes are good too, but kinda expensive.

California Sunshine
08-30-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a subscription to "Cooking Light" magazine.....Lots of recepies and articles every month.I really like it

California Sunshine
08-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Skinny Cow Ice Cream Bars and Sandwiches are good! Thay are all low fat or no fat.....I have tried the fat free fudge and cookies and cream bars and the strawberry shortcake and Peanut Butter sandwices

In my personal opinion the best tasting low fat frozen meals are the Lean Cuisine ones.The Chicken Teryaki bowl is a good one so is the Spaghetti and meatballs

irisheyes66
08-31-2004, 02:20 AM
LOL, Cali....I have been a subscriber for 10 years now! It is the only cooking/health magazine I use faithfully, and I read every issue, front to back, the day I get it ;)

Susan,
enjoying the Roast Pork and Grilled Vegetable recipe on this month's cover :D

Jasonslite
08-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Where to begin. I bought the FIRM and the tapes are very helpful for someone with great cordination. NOT ME! They have one lady in the 3 videos for the beginners but they hardly show her. It cost a little over $100 and I got the 3 tapes, the weight stick and the 2 fanny steps. I use the steps and weight stick for other uses but not the videos. I had the Billy Blanks video but when I would workout with it my son would get in my way and I kicked him one time. I also use the balance exercise ball which I love and some toning bands, plus (2) 3lb weights.
I use to have the Total Gym so bulky and hard to switch the settings, that was a workout in itself. I would like to get a treadmill but we will see.
I don't have any cook books for I am not big on cooking. Need to change that, huh?

jeffsprincess
08-31-2004, 06:47 PM
HARVEST BARS -THEY ARE MADE BY POWER BAR. IT IS A MEAL REPLACEMENT BAR, ALL NATURAL LOADED WITH SOY AND FIBER. THE BEST PART IS, THEY ARE SO GOOD!!! TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP, SO GOOD. ABOUT 250 CALORIES AND 4 GRAMS OF FAT. THEY COME IN ALL DIFFERENT VARIETIES, BUT THAT ONE IS MY FAVORITE. THEY COST ABOUT $1.59 AT 7-11, BUT YOU CAN GET THEM FOR ABOUT A DOLLAR AT TARGET, KMART, OR WALMART.

ALSO SOY CRISPY. DIFFERENT COMPANY'S MAKE THEM, BUT I PREFER GLENNYS. THEY ARE SO GOOD. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE POTATO CHIPS BUT THEY DONT REALLY. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD THOUGH. THEY COME IN ALL DIFFERENT FLAVORS. BBQ, RANCH, SOUR CREAM AND ONION, ETC. THEY HAVE ONLY LIKE 1 OR 2 GRAMS OF FAT PER SERVING, ATLEAST 2 GRAMS OF FIBER AND LIKE 9 GRAMS OF SOY. THEY ARE AVAILABLE IN MOST HEALTH FOOD STORES, AND SOME GROCERY STORES.

California Sunshine
09-05-2004, 05:31 PM
I use Cellu-Sculpt from Avon and I swear it works to help diminish the appearance of cellulite! Now I'm not saying it makes it dissapear as I still have some cottage cheese looking thighs and butt LOL but it really does help make it look like it has gone away some in my opinion! It's $15.00 per bottle.

francis
09-05-2004, 05:44 PM
does anyone know of a product that curbs appetite....

i am healthy and what not..but, occassionally, just want to eat everything!!!

i go to the gym etc.

so i don't need advice...i just wondered if anyone knows of such a product=]
much peace, and love
francis

California Sunshine
09-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Oops my review should have been in the other review section sorry!!

1dayatatime
09-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I to would like to find something to curb the appetite and water dont cut it. I even bought stackers but now they are made without ephedra and they dont do anything for me. J raised cane about me taking them cause he used them in conjuction with the meth ----but he also used the ones with ephedra. Any ideas on appetite suppressants?

one

francis
09-05-2004, 08:16 PM
hey 1dayatatime...i'm waiting for the solution, too
if i come up with anything...i'll post immmediately!!!!!!!=}

one that helps lots, and lots of raw vegatables, and steamed vegatables..seriously fillls me up..

but, those crz cravings, are when i need extra help!!

onherown
09-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I have been using Relacor for about 5 months and it does work. It helps you get rid of that "inflatable tire" around the middle (you know, the one that won't budge no matter how much you diet or exercise) PLUS it is an anti-depressant at the same time! I started taking it while my husband awaited sentencing, figuring it would either help manage the stress or help the figure - it did both! It is kind of expensive, but there are cheaper internet sources for it than from the 800 number on TV.

jftazzy102
09-05-2004, 11:13 PM
What about trim spa. I think that is what it is called. I have also been interested about relacor, but does any of this stuff show up in drug test. Some time at work we have to do a random drung test. (i was randomly chosen for 5 mos. straight unitl I brought to someones attention). Becuase I do need help with that. Diets don't help me. I need something that is going to help me curb my appitiet. Any info on this. Thanks Jeanne

1dayatatime
09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
I heard Zantrex 3 was great so I ordered it today of the net got free shipping and handling. It should be here in about a week. I will let you all know. I really want to loose about 10-15 pounds before I buy winter clothes.

one

1dayatatime
09-06-2004, 05:31 PM
You can go to beachbody.com and view the series it's always on infomercials.

ONE

Oscar714
09-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Anyone else a die hard for Starbucks? I fell in love with Caramel Frapuchinos years ago, and when I found out that they had about the same amount of calories as a big mac, I could have died! BUT, since Starbucks is on the cutting edge of satisfying their customers, they have introdused a light version to the already famous beverage line:

A tall espresso light frap has 100 calories,
A tall caramel light frap has 140 calories ,
(I could go on, but I will spare you)

And the best part? You would never know the difference!!! Today when my drink was made I almost went back there to make sure it was made light.

Satisfy the sweet tooth, treat yourself without feeling guilty about it! I love it!

cjmess
10-03-2004, 06:26 AM
I'm terrible about trying to loose the weight, think I'll buy that and exercise. When he was home he was always in shape because of his work. He eats liike a horse and doesn't gain but all I have to do is look at it. He gets out in a few weeks and he has been working out on a Bowflex and said he would like one so I looked into it. It came on Monday. I've been putting it together and will finish it today. We are going to work out together on it so that will be good. He has talked about wanting one for a couple of years. So being in DOC and actually using one really excited me to the fact that we could work out together. I told him he could be my "personal trainer". But I have all of these other things collecting dust too. Ab Roller, treadmill, weights, bands, Tae Bo tapes, Richard Simmons, Gazzel (which I just started using and like). But he always laughed and said I didn't need it (But I do) he loves me the way I am. I am glad HE finally wants to work out. His Birthday is Halloween so its part his Birthday present, too. It has given him something to look forward to coming home in time for his Birthday, too.

JamesWifey
12-30-2004, 11:41 PM
I have just started taking Xenadrine EFX and it definitely works as an appetite suppressent. I don't know if it's just me, but some of these products tend to make me kinda nautious and that is not a good side effect :(

Some of these products also have enegry boosters which make me very ansy and I start shaking literally. I am trying to find something which will suppress my appetite, minus these negative side effects I've described.

If you know of anything, let me know PLEASE :thumbsup:

Mari

NovasGirl
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
How expensive is this product, and how much weight have you lost from taking it?

I have been using Relacor for about 5 months and it does work. It helps you get rid of that "inflatable tire" around the middle (you know, the one that won't budge no matter how much you diet or exercise) PLUS it is an anti-depressant at the same time! I started taking it while my husband awaited sentencing, figuring it would either help manage the stress or help the figure - it did both! It is kind of expensive, but there are cheaper internet sources for it than from the 800 number on TV.

monkeyonalimb
03-23-2005, 07:06 PM
www.advocare.com (http://www.advocare.com) i personally use it, i order through a lady named Lisa Strickler and i put in Texas, so try it, it works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr can look up in pdr also, if needed.

I to would like to find something to curb the appetite and water dont cut it. I even bought stackers but now they are made without ephedra and they dont do anything for me. J raised cane about me taking them cause he used them in conjuction with the meth ----but he also used the ones with ephedra. Any ideas on appetite suppressants?

one

monkeyonalimb
03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
www.advocare.com (http://www.advocare.com) i personally use it and i dont have those side affects not anyone else i know, i order under Lisa Strickler and put in Texas and it comes to me. fyi need anymore information let me know.

I have just started taking Xenadrine EFX and it definitely works as an appetite suppressent. I don't know if it's just me, but some of these products tend to make me kinda nautious and that is not a good side effect :(

Some of these products also have enegry boosters which make me very ansy and I start shaking literally. I am trying to find something which will suppress my appetite, minus these negative side effects I've described.

If you know of anything, let me know PLEASE :thumbsup:

Mari

MsAloha1018
04-01-2005, 02:03 AM
At the gym I go to, I met up with this machine called the Elliptor. It's one of those thingies that kind of simulates cross country skiing. Unlike the treadmill, it whipped my aspergillus in 3 minutes. Anything longer than that and I hyperventilate. And my trainer wants me to do 20 minutes on that sucker???

Just leave me the treadmill PLEASE??? I can now walk for 5 minutes, light jog for 10 minutes and cooldown walk for the last 5. Next week, I will add a little more incline...

1dayatatime
05-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Great Aloha--you are making progress!! I know the machine you are talking about and I hate it. I can walk on the treadmill for hours----its just getting me on it.

ONE