View Full Version : Did anyone ever successfully quit smoking?

*Johnny's Angel*
08-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Since this is a health forum, being smoke free is definatly a part of staying healthy. I was a smoker for the past 8 years almost. I recently quit cold turkey. I get cravings once in awhile. I was wondering if anyone else quit smoking. There reasons why. And how long the cravings lasted for. Where there health reasons why you quit? Or maybe just couldnt take the smell of it anymore. Do you smoke now while drinking?

Well i quit because sometimes i was shortness of breath. Also it STINKS i hate the smell of the smoke even when i was smokin!! Aldo john doesn't smoke and he hated kissing after a cigarette.

Although there were times when smoking was "necessary" after meals, or while drinking.

I'm learning to break the habits, after eating (since Im not eating big meals anymore ) I don't get the urge to go outside and have a smoke.

As for drinkin , I wasn't gonna have a drink cause i was afraid of lighting up, but the i told my self i have to learn that the 2 don't go together. So i had a smirnoff twist to start off. And boy was I craving, but didnt fall into it. That was a start. Iím still not confident enough to drink a beer or anything else yet, but I have to BREAK THE HABIT.

jeffsprincess
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
i would love to quit smoking. the only times i ever quit was when i was pregnant with my children, but i went back. it took me 10 months after i had my daughter to go back but only 2 hours after i brought my son home to go back. that is one of my goals. its just so hard.

BeyondBorders
08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
This should make you feel better:

What happens to the body when you quit smoking

Within 20 minutes of smoking that last cigarette, the body begins a series of changes that continues for years.

20 Minutes

Blood pressure drops to normal
Pulse rate drops to normal
Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal

8 Hours

Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
Oxygen level in blood increases to normal

24 Hours

Chance of a heart attack decreases

48 Hours

Nerve endings start regrowing
Ability to smell and taste is enhanced

2 Weeks to 3 months

Circulation improves
Walking becomes easier
Lung Function increases up to 30 percent

1 to 9 Months

Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
Body's overall energy increases

1 Year

Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker

5 Years

Lung cancer death rate for average former smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half
Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's

10 Years

Lung Cancer death rate similar to that on non-smokers
Precancerous cells are replaced
Risk of cancer to the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases

15 Years

Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker

*Johnny's Angel*
08-30-2004, 01:47 PM
thanks i did appreciate that. Well its kind of weird (may sound gross but..) you know when your sick and you get phlem in your throat, its a sign of healing or something. Well since i quit , for the first few days, i had that and i was always spttin out, and i felt like my lungs were healing. This also helped me to continue not smokin.

BeyondBorders
08-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Your lungs are detoxing.. Congrats on quitting!!

meadow22
08-30-2004, 02:17 PM
i would LOVE to quit. i have tried a few times, but i just can't do it cold turkey! and it is very hard. how did you just do it cold turkey??? i thought about buying the patch but i am not sure. it's like you have to have the WANT to quit, otherwise it wont work. i don't really like the smell and i don't like to taste like an ash tray, but it's my comfort zone still i guess you would say. everytime i am stressed i have a smoke, on the phone i smoke, driving i am smoking, just everything. how in the world did you do do it, just like that?

Luann
08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi
I quit smoking in 1998.. I used the nicoret gum, it was really hard at 1st because I had smoked for 30 yrs.. I took it one day at a time.. The things that keeps me from going back to smoking ,, are I feel 100% better now.. The cost of smoking .. plus its so inconvient to smoke now.. Its an accomplishment I'm very proud of.. YOU can do it too !!!!

strongernow
08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I started smoking when I was 14 years old. From that point forward, I smoked until I found out I was pregnant with my son when I was 19. I quit cold turkey the day I found out. I did well after I gave birth to him until I stopped nursing and started to go out drinking again. Started smoking as soon as I hit the bar! Smoked for a couple years and then decided I wanted to quit when I got real sick back in early 2002. That last about a month or so. I started smoking again and then quit 2 months before I got pregnant with my daughter, so that was February of 2003. After I had my daughter and had stopped nursing, the stress of my fiance being in prison, working full time and having the 2 kids, house, etc. on my own was enough to make the need for a cigaretta come back to surface quickly. I smoked and when he got out we decided to quit together since he had been smoking at the last prison he was at. So far, I haven't smoked since July 5, 2004. Approaching 2 months quickly! Woo hooo! This time I am not going to let myself start up again!!!!

haswtch
08-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Smoking is such a nasty self-inflicted curse. I keep saying I want to quit, and I have a couple times but always fell back. I hate it though. If I quit for good I could probably save up enough to move (I'm a 2 pack a day junkie)

*Johnny's Angel*
08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
What I think motivated me was doing all this at once, quit smokin go to the gym, eat healthier, I think its all because i know john will be home in about a month and i've changed SOOOO much since he got arrested, i had to do it all. He wanted me to gain weight LOL now hes supportive of my choice to eat healthy and lose a few inches in my tummy and tone up. He LOVES that I quit smokin, and most importantly he plans on joining me to the gym when he gets home. So i guess my dearly beloved has encouraged me. Yup that's the reason

irisheyes66
08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I was never a heavy smoker....but in my late teens/early 20's, I was what you'd call a "social smoker". In the clubs, bars, etc.....never at home, or in the car. At that time, my asthma was minimal, and it didn't bother me to inhale.

When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter (4 weeks), I quit cold turkey. My Mom smoked heavily while carrying me, and I believe that may have contributed to my respiratory problems. After my daughter was born, I just never went back....but I was never as addicted as some of my girlfriends; I really didn't want it anymore (the stench, the cost, etc).

Here's the funny part, tho....in times of stress for many years after quitting, I would have a physical "jones" for a cigarette. I would pace all over, go from room to room thinking, what did I want in here? And that's what it was.

One time, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, I took a drag of a friend's cigarette....and almost threw up on myself, it was so awful. I can't even imagine smoking today. Asthma aside, it is one of the worst things you can do to your body...and it ages you too quickly ;)

Now, chocolate.....is another story altogether!

meadow22
08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
did someone say chocolate???????? LOL LOL oh gosh I love chocolate! i have recently been working out and eating better as well! i am trying to gain some weight since i have been the same weight for years now. i guess there is only one thing left for me to do, which would be to quit smoking. i really have been thinking about it, but i am not sure if i am completely ready? does that make sense?

irisheyes66
08-30-2004, 09:40 PM
It makes perfect sense, actually....to me quitting smoking is just like quitting overeating, or drinking, or any other addiction. It's a learned behvaior, and the underlying issues (stress, depression, fatigue, etc.) must also be dealt with as well, for there to be success.

When you're ready, you'll know...and there won't be any more "maybes" in your head. Good luck!

*Johnny's Angel*
08-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Yeah you will definitly know when yuo are ready. I always wanted to quit but i was never ready. Oneday I woke up adn that was it, I was ready to change a lot of things.

Retired-10
08-31-2004, 08:15 AM
My mom quit over a year and a half ago by using the Quest cigs that take you down slowly over 3 cartons. The month following her quitting she also had to be given tranquilizers by her doctor....she smoked for 40 years.

My dad quit cold turkey when I was in 6th grade when he was put in the hospital with pneumonia on Christmas Eve. He saw how it ruined my Christmas...GUILT DOES WORK! :) He's since died from smoking for so long... :(

*Johnny's Angel*
08-31-2004, 08:33 AM
im so sorry to hear that mlg. he did the right thing by quitting tho.

And for some funny reason I am not addicted to chocolate at all. I dont eat sweets, cake, or anything (except ice cream), actaully i can say i do about once a year if that

francis
09-05-2004, 06:06 PM
i'll write more later..
but, i quit aug 95'
about 2 packs a day for at least 10 years...when younger smoked casually...

i weaned myself off..

exercise helps produce endorphins which helps the craving for cigs..

and, of course chewing gum, when i need oral fixation=} hand to mouth thing=}

i was a chain smoking could careless gurl...yeah, i was skinny...cigs kills the appetite...but, i like being healthy and clean now!!

plus, eventually cig catch up with you and ages you!!!

and, then of course health reasons....at the time i didn't care!!

but, now i wouldn't want the consequences..

fresh smelling car, hair, bedroom...white teeth...no burn marks everywhere in car=}

save a lot of $

congradulations to all that have quit...you know one day at a time!!

Kyla
09-05-2004, 08:48 PM
IrishEyes66
Now, chocolate.....is another story altogether!

I got a quit pack, (Im still a smoker :( ) and it said that chocolate let endorphines out that stopped the nicotine cravings. I ate chocolate like no tomorrow, gained weight, and still smoked (cause everytime I wanted a ciggie, I would eat chocolate). I guess if I bought enough choccie, I might of quit my habit.
I tried the nicotine patches as well, they didnt work either. I just took it after chocolate and nicotine patches not working, I was destinied to remain a smoker.