View Full Version : I just found out where I'm Going!

NYtoJAX22
08-29-2004, 10:20 PM
I've been designated to Edgefield SC Camp. I would like to get some information on this camp, any body with a loved one there or any ex residents? Any information will be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks! ;)

arleneb
08-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi there! Good thing I decided to take a look at was going on tonight. My husband is in that location, at the camp that is.... Are you referring to that one?

arleneb
08-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Sorry I read it so fast that I did not notice you put the word camp. As I mentioned to you that my husband is there and he seems to be adjusting okay, if you are able to self surrender you should request it because if you have to go thru the holding pen in Atlanta, it is a nightmare. The town is pretty small, about 40 miles from Augusta, ga. My husband really hasn't had a complaint about the place, the only thing that you can study in there is for your ged or the substance abuse program. If you have any others questions feel free to ask, I'll be on for a little while.

NYtoJAX22
08-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Hey Arlene I'm glad to find someone with some information on this place. Yes I am already self surrendering there. Any other information that you may know about? How about the visits? The food? ...lol how does the camp look like from the outside? ( I'm actually writing for my husband he's in the living room playing a game but we are both interested in this info.

arleneb
08-29-2004, 11:07 PM
The visit was pretty easy as long as you have stated your family for the presentencing investigation your immediate family (wife and kids) will be able to see you without filling visitation request forms. As for the food..well it's bland but there is a variety of foods I guess you can hook it up to your liking thats what my husband does. The camp is very simple gray concrete walls and it has one barb wire fence on top (which did not exist before- they only put up a year ago, apparently the some of the inmates would jump the wall and leave at night to be with there loved ones (there is a hotel literally three minutes around the corner -edgefield inn) and return in the morning, someone got caught and they put the wire. There is a mobile library that comes and you can check out books, I just went for my first visit a few weeks ago, the visiting room is has chairs and I guess a coffe table where you can gather with family they also have boardgames so you canplay as well. THere is also a sitting area outside so you can get fresh air with your visitors. They have vending machines also. When I went to visit I made sure that I was dress properly (no wired bras) and only to get there and they do not even screen you thru a machine, the correction officers were pretty nice as well, nothing like what I expected. I would say it went fairly well. My husband had self surrender and ended up getting sick and the only reason I am saying it better to self surrender is because atlanta is a nightmare. HE will be able to get plenty of exercise if he likes and pretty much you keep to yourself (in other words not being a trouble maker) and you should not have any problems my husband says that the correction officers would put an inmate in the "hole" in a minute.

arleneb
08-29-2004, 11:09 PM
The visit was pretty easy as long as you have stated your family for the presentencing investigation your immediate family (wife and kids) will be able to see you without filling visitation request forms. As for the food..well it's bland but there is a variety of foods I guess you can hook it up to your liking thats what my husband does. The camp is very simple gray concrete walls and it has one barb wire fence on top (which did not exist before- they only put up a year ago, apparently the some of the inmates would jump the wall and leave at night to be with there loved ones (there is a hotel literally three minutes around the corner -edgefield inn) and return in the morning, someone got caught and they put the wire. There is a mobile library that comes and you can check out books, I just went for my first visit a few weeks ago, the visiting room is has chairs and I guess a coffe table where you can gather with family they also have boardgames so you canplay as well. THere is also a sitting area outside so you can get fresh air with your visitors. They have vending machines also. When I went to visit I made sure that I was dress properly (no wired bras) and only to get there and they do not even screen you thru a machine, the correction officers were pretty nice as well, nothing like what I expected. I would say it went fairly well. My husband had self surrender and ended up getting sick and the only reason I am saying it better to self surrender is because atlanta is a nightmare. HE will be able to get plenty of exercise if he likes and pretty much you keep to yourself (in other words not being a trouble maker) and you should not have any problems my husband says that the correction officers would put an inmate in the "hole" in a minute.

Alynn528
08-29-2004, 11:09 PM
I am glad that you now know where you are going, good luck & take care

NYtoJAX22
08-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the so much needed helpful information. It was very informative. When your husband self surrendered was he allowed to bring in anything. Also are you allowed to mail him books your self or does it have to be from a book company.

NYtoJAX22
08-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I am calling the Camp today and see what type of info I can get....

arleneb
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I am calling the Camp today and see what type of info I can get.... Hi I just got in and decided to take a look before I had to leave again. THe books were sent directly from barnes and nobles or perhaps amazon.com , you can also send magazine subscription from the publisher itself. As for calling the facility i'm unsure how much info you will get as he is not there yet, when he is assigned to a counselor and goes thru orientation they will let him know in detail what he can/cannot do also.

Dcanizares
08-30-2004, 06:29 PM
I called No answer... I heard that I can take correspondence course through a college that I must pay out of pocket. I will most definitely be doing that. It will sure make my time go by quick. Does anyone know of any good colleges that offer correspondence courses.?

arleneb
08-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I called No answer... I heard that I can take correspondence course through a college that I must pay out of pocket. I will most definitely be doing that. It will sure make my time go by quick. Does anyone know of any good colleges that offer correspondence courses.? Go to the dept of education website and should find many schools, the reason I went to that site, i figured if the dept of education is endorsing it should be legit. I signed my husband up for school with no problemand he is already studying.

Dcanizares
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
I went to the Dept of Education and really couldn't find much but we were going to take some courses from Ashworth College but I decided to go against it because an associates degree is not really where we are trying to head and they didn't have much in the fields that we were interested. If you know of any schools offering Medical and Sales and Marketing let me know!