View Full Version : A question about High Protein diets...any ideas?

MrsWest11
08-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody!!! Once again...I wanna say how happy I am that we have this forum now!!! :D
Okay...here's my question. I have just recently found out I have a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Well, one of the things about this is that...it makes it really hard to lose weight...or..when you DO lose it...it just comes right back (which is what happens to me...). Well, my doctor told me I need to follow a HIGH protein diet when my medicine got "into my system" and that it should allow me to start losing weight (and of course...he told me to exercise). Anyway...I may be having a blonde moment :p or something but....what all can you eat on a HIGH protein diet?? I know he told me to "cut back" on stuff like noodles and such...but, I guess what I'm wondering is...has anyone ever been on a HIGH protein diet? What did you eat? I think he wants me to cut down on sugar stuff too (cause with PCOS you produce to much insulin)...but, any ideas will be appreciated. :) Thanks so much (in advance).

huggs,
Selena

Oscar714
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM
MEAT, and more meat!!! I hope you like meat, or tofu if you are vegetarrian, and nuts, they are packed with protien too! You have heard of atkins before??? That is a high protien- low carb diet, which would work well for you. When I went high protien, I ate eggs and bacon for breakfast, or sasuage, whatever, and fruit. Lunch, was typically veggies and meat, like a piece of grilled chicken, a little platter of different veggies, and maybe a yogurt? or cottage cheese? And supper, salads, greek, house, club, ceaser.... salad, salad, salad! With meat too, so steak, or chicken, ribs, whatever. Snacks...... I ate nuts, like a trail mix, more veggies, beef jerkey, and also, for "low carb- high protien diets" the atkins book I have suggests pork rinds for a snack.... yes they are high in fat, but virtually no carbs so they are a great replacement for the chips you would usually eat watching tv, etc. Lots of water!!!!! I love a lot of food with carbs in it, so I modified it and made it into a high protien meal by not eating a bun with my burger, and eating it with more lettuce, or no wrap on my fajita or taco, and making all the ingredients into a salad instead, or ......... I could go on and on. I went high protien for a while, and had great success, so pm me if you want to know anything more!

MrsWest11
08-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Oscar!! I like meat...but, I'm more of a chicken person...I just have never really liked red meat..ya know? I know he said something about meat...I guess he was telling me to eat alot of it. :D I was gonna try the Atkins once before but...some people around here scared me with all the "risks" and stuff...so, I didn't ever do it. As far as nuts and pork rinds...I can handle that for sure! :D Especially at work on break...I never eat at work..actually I only eat once a day and my doctor kinda "chewed me out" for that the other day. :rolleyes: Cause he said "You may think that's better for you cause you dont eat alot..but, in all reality...you are burning LESS metabolism..than you would eating more. So, try your best to eat 2 or 3 times a day...and then a couple of snacks!!" But...it's hard for me to eat 3 meals a day with me working nights...cause I can't eat at work (makes me sick at my stomach...food and the smell of raw chicken just don't mix) :p and well, I sleep alllll day long so...that's why I only eat once a day (when i get home from work). Anyway...I'll probably be pm'ing you really soon...actually...I'm sure of it.
BTW: What kind of exercises are good with this kind of diet? Any inparticular? And...I seen someone mention Pilates (sp?)...what are those. I have heard of them alot but..(another blonde moment) :D I dont really know what they are. :rolleyes:

huggs,
Selena

Oscar714
08-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Het waiting again! I will wait for your pm and then I will answer all your questions...... and if I don't happen to know the answer, I will find it out for you.

jeffsprincess
08-28-2004, 05:41 PM
i had posted this in a previous thread. a low carb diet is good, but eating meat and cheese all day long is not. here it is for you and good luck to you.
broiled fish or grilled fish is so good for you. filet of sole, grouper, sea bass, flounder, yellow fin tuna (not more than once a week because it is known to have high levels of mercury), salmon is also a good choice, but it is more of a fatty fish. season with fresh pepper and the juice of a lemon or lime. lime is wonderful on fish.

-steamed or grilled shrimp (also limited because shrimp is high in cholesterol.)
-egg whites
-tuna fish (canned in water)
-grilled turkey
-grilled boneless skinless chicken breast
-lean beef. lauras lean is available at most grocery stores. again you pay a higher price per pound, but it is better cut and the cows are not injected with steroids or antibiotics.

-portabello mushrooms
-fresh asparagus
-fresh broccoli
-fresh spinach
-mesculin mix
-bean sprouts
-beans, black beans, kidney beans
-avacado
-olives

cheese, if you are going to eat cheese, i would suggest goat cheese. it is extremely low in salt and much lower in fat that other cheeses. also fresh grated pecorino romano to taste.

so there is a way to limit the carbs and keep the protein without all the fat!

MrsWest11
08-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Jeffs!!! :D Alot of that stuff...I have never ate before but...with the diet he's wanting me to go by...I'm gonna have to learn to eat it. This past week...I've been eating grilled chicken alot...and veggies (such as squash and okra, etc)...

What about those "smart ones" made by weight watchers...are they good. I love those things...LOL.

huggs,
Selena

jeffsprincess
08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
the weight watchers meals are loaded with carbs. i dont know if they made any low carb ones yet, but they might have. always read labels!!! thats the key!