View Full Version : Health Department Investigates Women's Jail in Flowood

Amy
08-19-2004, 07:36 PM
I only have the link to the story from WLBT and it is very short. Hopefully, I will be able to get a better article soon.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=2197063&nav=2CSfQ3gR

The State Department of Health is investigating environmental conditions at a satellite prison for women in Flowood.

A spokesperson would not release details about the investigation at the Rankin County Restitutional Facility, located on Highway 80, but WLBT News has received calls about inmates with sores on their bodies.

Flowood Mayor Gary Rhoads says the inmates are utilized for work detail at city hall every day, so he's concerned about the results of the investigation.

The Mississippi Department of Corrections says it has received no complaints or medical requests from inmates.

I-Care
08-20-2004, 05:56 AM
MDOC's reply sounds typical. I work with inmates not far from Flowood at Pearl ( CMCF). I have seen for myself "sores" inside there but most were "spider bites". At one time they had "staph" infections rampant at CMCF. But MDOC's comment is about always the same or "inmates exaggerate"!!!!! God Bless these ladies and I hope help is on the way. I know a simple thing like Chlorox was not allowed that could have helped.

Amy
08-20-2004, 02:10 PM
I know a simple thing like Chlorox was not allowed that could have helped.
That is my feeling exactly. When I was hearing about staph infections at Parchman, I asked him what they had to clean with. The things he told me were not enough to make a difference. I don't understand why they can't use bleach. It wouldn't take that long to closely monitor someone while they are cleaning.

I-Care
08-20-2004, 02:28 PM
I know why they can not have Chlorox. Some one threw it in someone's eyes I think and also probably suicide issues but there are MANY things that can cause any of this that they have access to daily. The spider bites are what were so bad at CMCF. If my love one had not been an ER TRAUMA NURSE before this tragedy she would have lost a finger for sure from a spider bite. She took care of it herself. I contacted CDC and they told me they have NO jurisdiction at any MDOC site. However I am not sure if it was the spider bots, staph or food area that had birds, Pigeons, flying in and pooping all over the walls and God only knows where else in the eating area. So much has gone on in 2.5 years I can not be sure which issue I contacted them on. BUT they had no jurisdiction. From what I have heard I do not see why someone can not DROP BY and do SPOT CHECKS on the food to see if it is fit for "human consumption"!!!!!!

Amy
08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
From what I have heard I do not see why someone can not DROP BY and do SPOT CHECKS on the food to see if it is fit for "human consumption"!!!!!!
I wish that would happen too but from what I have seen, it won't. Even the fast food places here know when the inspectors are coming. I am positive that MDOC and any facility with in it would know as well. It is really sad to hear some of the horror stories about the food and not be able to do anything about it.

I-Care
08-20-2004, 03:32 PM
I know.. I am involved in 2 prison reform groups in MS. One is just trying to get it's feet on the ground. It is working SO WELL in AL and LA I am doing what I can to see this work this time. It is MS CURE or natinally known as CURE. You may be involved with them already. The other is mississippi-justice.com