View Full Version : Visiting @ Millhaven

timeistheenemy
08-16-2004, 06:10 PM
:yay: Hey PTO Canada, I've been reading your posts for some time.
My friend is presently residing in the Millhaven Assessment Unit in Ontario. I'm waiting to be cleared for phone calls and I was wondering if visits there are in person or behind glass/with phone?

Thanks for all the great posts, btw....I was going insane before I found this site! :D

stevesboo23
08-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey girl,
Welcome!! I am not too sure about Milhaven but I can find out for you! MOst Federal penns are open visits at a table with limited contact, hugging,holding hands and a kiss. I have visited Kingston Penn but not Milhaven, he shouldnt be in Milhaven for very long though , I think at the most they can hold him there is 6 months. Good Luck!! Have youfilled out your visiting application yet???? IF you need anything just send me a PM!! Take care, Jill

strangeanimal
09-17-2004, 12:42 AM
I go down to visit my guy at Warkworth with the John Howard Society. I heard from the other vetran wives and mothers that Millhaven isn't the best place for a visit it's behind glass and the visiting hours are short. My guy didn't want me to visit him while he was there because of that reason. Where he is now it's open, with touching and the visits are 7hrs long.

tireddad6
10-08-2005, 01:59 PM
If any one knows Gord King and Benny Waters please let me know it's been awile

lilbabyc
10-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Hey my man is suppose to be at millhaven right now he got transfered on friday, how long does it take for them to use the phones, i heard they had to porocess the numbers first, i dont know how it works if anyone has any information about Millhaven please help me, it would be very much appreciated, thank you.

guitargirl
10-10-2005, 03:13 PM
my guy was in millhaven for almost 2years back in 02, and the way it works is that he puts u on his call list, and someone from the prison calls you to confirm that its ok to have the number on his list and that u will accept the charges. im not sure how long it takes for him to be able to use the phones, but i do remember that it wasnt very long, maybe a week or two at most. hope this helps!

Keepin6
06-06-2006, 10:27 PM
At Milhaven you are allowed one grace visit. I know this because I went for a visit at the Bay and got DENIED for traces of cocaine. Man, was I choked. I wanted them to bring out the dogs. I did not drive that far for small talk thru glass. Anyway, the other lady I drove up wanted to have a night visit too, so I cruised up to Milhaven to see my other boy there and got a visit, which was also thru the phone since I wasn't on his list. You can have open visits there, you just need to be approved. And I passed that stupid scan at that prison too. Grrrr. Makes me want to puke thinking about it now.

plow
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi There
My son is in reception in Millhaven.(Just over 1 month now). I want to eventually bring his sons to visit, but when I talked to Millhaven they said I would have to go to a notary public with the mother of the kids to have our signatures witnessed. I don't live near (1 hr drive) so I don't when that will take place. Anyway I would have a short visit between glass, and I would Not bring the kids. I was talking to a woman whose husband was in Millhaven for a while and she had a horrendous experience there. They did a strip search because a friend had handled her ID and something supicious was on it. So make sure ID is wiped clean and put in a baggie before you visit. She was very informative. She said a big mistake taking her daughter there. She said it would be better to wait and visit in the Mother Pen as she termed it, once the incarcerated person is settled. I am new to all of this, as are a lot of others and it is tough when you don't know. I think the best thing to do is just get as much info as possible.

Yoosgirl
06-07-2006, 05:52 PM
While in reception (Milhaven) I am sure that all visits are closed, behind glass and on the phone. That area in my opinion wa really dirty, tiles falling off of the ceiling and generally smelled bad. I would recommend waiting for open visits with children.

Keepin6
06-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes, after their assessment, if they are staying in J Unit or in Milhaven, they can have open visits. When you go for the closed visit, you walk right past the open visit. The whole visiting section I saw, open and closed was nasty. The guard told me when I got a hit that something like 90 per cent of the money in the world has been in contact with drugs and to swipe your ID with alcohol and keep it in a baggie untill you are walking in the prison. If you need any more help, just let me know. My friend is doing life 25 and while he was there, his mom wanted to come up and bring his siblings but his younger sister was 7 at the time, and she didn't want her to know he was in prison, so she didn't bring her until they got their trailer visits and then she just told his little sister that they were going camping for the weekend. LOL. She is older now, and in another year or so, she will be told the truth, but for now, it's best the way it is.

cloutier michel
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey my man is suppose to be at millhaven right now he got transfered on friday, how long does it take for them to use the phones, i heard they had to porocess the numbers first, i dont know how it works if anyone has any information about Millhaven please help me, it would be very much appreciated, thank you. he sould be able to cal you soon if he is in évaluation he is allowed to call every 2 days and not for long the evaluation is 60 or 90 days before he is been class.:thumbsup:

nicarty
11-07-2006, 05:55 PM
My husband was transfered to millhaven on friday too. I have been going crazy trying to find out info on the place. From reading ,I thank you all for the info on the visits.Now.how can one get there with out a car..if the visits are short .Then would anyone know about a close hotel or something ? I could make it a weekend thing..This is all new to me so please bare with my
' lostness'

cloutier michel
11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
My husband was transfered to millhaven on friday too. I have been going crazy trying to find out info on the place. From reading ,I thank you all for the info on the visits.Now.how can one get there with out a car..if the visits are short .Then would anyone know about a close hotel or something ? I could make it a weekend thing..This is all new to me so please bare with my
' lostness' HELLO I am looking for a hotel to or B&B around my friend as a agency travel so she will give me inf. on it so I will let you no but if your friend is an millhaven you will see him true a windows if he is still on évaluation and it is around 30 minutes visit. bye bye Michelle Cloutier

nicarty
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
My husband had put me on a call list too. only I never got a call from the prison. And he just called as usual. I also mail him letters once a week. i get a tracking number so i can see exactly where it is..and as for getting mail on a regular basis from him..well I haven't had any problems..it's been good..I know that's amazing..Hey does anyone know if Millhaven has a chapel.?

D's babydoll
01-11-2007, 06:09 PM
my fiance was transfered to millhaven yesterday and i was wondering if anyone knew how long it will take for me to hear from him and any other info you can tell me would be very helpfull. thanks D's babydoll

D's babydoll
01-15-2007, 07:10 AM
nobody has answered my last post and i was wondering if anyone had info about millhaven. my fiance went there last week and i need info..
THANX

Canuck_5
01-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey D's babydoll, it took about a month before my man was able to contact me by phone from Millhaven.

Yoosgirl
01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Yep, when my man first got there it was 3 weeks b4 i heard from him. They told him on his first day he would get a free call but he never did. Hang in there u'll from him soon :)

Oliver5
01-25-2007, 08:26 PM
My boyfriend is being tranferred to Millhaven in 4 days and I've been trying to search the net about this place and I can't find much. Can they work, is there schooling, how many hours will he be locked in his cell, is there a common room where he could watch TV?????????? I have so many questions.

Canuck_5
01-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Is he being transferred there for assessment? I know assessments are done there so they can determine what classifications they are and what institute they are then moved to, or may end up staying there. Assessments can take up to 6 months and I know during that time there is very limited things they are allowed, no contact or communication for the first little while.

shortytv
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
My boyfriend has been there for about 2 and a half months now. I was the same way at first so many questions with no answers until I actually talked to him. He was actually in Lindsay and they didn't even tell him he was being transferred until they took him and when we went to visit they told us he wasnt there... it was pretty stressful. But anyway back to Millhaven... he got his first call the second day there. It was considered his courtesy call and he was only allowed 1 for about 20 minutes. All other calls have to be approved. He said he just had to give names, phone numbers and addresses. It took a couple days. He will be sending you a visitors application which also takes a couple weeks to process so you may want to get it in as soon as possible. You only need to be approved once so once he gets transferred you will not have to get approved again.

In the assessment unit the inmates are locked up 23 hrs a day. Most cells have a TV, but if not they have to wait til someone is shipped out and request that TV if they dont have one. They usually get yard time for about an hour a day. During the week its at night anywhere between 7-10. On the weekends hes says its during the day, I dont write have those times figured out yet. They get to shower every 2 days and two cells are let out (4 people) at a time for 20 min. There are two showers they are brought to and two phones. So my boyfriend often calls during that time to because they basically get 10 min for each. The time can vary for this. He says there is not much else to do but watch TV, work out in cell, draw, or write letters. He has been lucky with cell mates that he gets along with so it helps kill time.

Hmm cant think of anything else off the top of my head.. If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer or ask him.

Tiffany

Oliver5
02-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Canuck_5 thanks for responding to my note. From my understanding, he was bring transferred to Millhaven from Maplehurst. I believe he was assessed at Maplehurst. So, I think he's supposed to be staying at Millhaven. I thank you too shortytv for responding. 23 hours lock-up wow! I just want him to get along with everybody there and get out. Does anyone know about APR-Accelerated Parole release??? My boyfriend said that when the federal agent was processing him at Maplehurst, she mentioned that he might meet the crieterias to be eligible for this but that it's not a garuntee. It takes about 2-6 months. It was based on the fact that there was no violence, he's a first time offender, has no past history problems with the law etc. That really got my hopes up. So he may be out sooner then a year, he was talking like Oct. he might be out, which is great news!. So if anyone has info on APR let me know. He told me that he was allowed books, pictures, cds and stuff like that. I just want to hear him....say my name or something so that I know that everything is ok. I know that it's tuff going in and being away from your loved ones. BUT it's also tuff not knowing what's going on. I feel like I'm going nuts.:angry: . Anyway thanks again. Have a great evening.

shortytv
02-03-2007, 12:41 AM
There is a posting by Robreid in this link that explains diff eligibility of parole that is good. Its under Canada Prison Forums - Canada Parole, Probation, & Legal Information - Work Release Eligibility dates - Posting by Robreid.

Hope it helps. My boyfriend was given a paper with all the various eligibility dates, I know that they have the accelerated parole at 1/6 of the time if its the first federal offence and non-violent so hopefully that will apply for you.

Canuck_5
02-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Great details shortytv on all that takes place in the assessment unit...all that is correct Oliver5. If your boyfriend is eligible for APR that is excellent news. If eligible they serve 1/6 of their time, or 6 months, whichever is greater before they are eligible for day parole, providing it is first-time federal and no record of violence. Mine spent 4 months in Millhaven and was then transferred to Beaver Creek for 2 months before getting day parole. Six months felt like forever at the time but in the long run, it is a short period of time. I hope all works out for you.

Oliver5
02-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks Canuck_5 and shortytv for all the information you've given me. It's much appreciated :thumbsup: . I finally heard from my boyfriend :D . He said he sent me a letter in the mail and that the letter contains the address and evrything so that I can write him. Do the "guards" read the letters that go out and come in???? He said that he's not really allowed to use the phone and when he can, it's in the evening. The nice thing is that he is by himself in his cell and that he has a t.v. He can watch the superbowl at least :) . He told me that he's allowed his cd player and cds, but am I allowed to send him a cd??? I have no more questions, but if you have any answers about the letters and cd's let me know. Thanks

Canuck_5
02-04-2007, 11:59 PM
You're welcome Oliver5. He's fortunate to be allowed his cd player, not sure about whether you are allowed to send cd's as I know I wasn't able to send anything except letters and photos. You may want to call the institute and check with them on that. All personal belongings are held back and not given back until they are out or transferred. My guy had a tv also which helped pass the time. As for letters sent and received, they are opened and "reviewed" for any criminal activity. As for phone calls, only a limited number of people are allowed on their call list and have to be approved first. The phone calls were allowed only at night during the weekdays and days on weekends, and they are monitored as well. You get 20 minutes, with a recording letting you know you have 1 minute left, before the phone call gets automatically disconnected. That can get frustrating. All calls are collect and with other charges if you are out of the area...can get quite expensive. Hope these answers help you.

badboybubba
02-09-2007, 08:10 PM
sounds like a lot of guys went up there recently. My brother went on Friday - so far I have only had 1 -5 minute call with him. My parents a little more. How often can they use the phone. And has anyone found a B&B or cheaper hotel yet in the area? Thanks

Oliver5
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I got my first letter from my boyfriend last Friday....it was a relief :yay:. He is hardly allowed to use the phone, so with his cantine money he bought writing materials. I received my letter opened by the way! They did not even bother to tape back the letter shut. I guess it was too much work for them. My boyfriend stated in the letter how to go about sending him money for his cantine. He siad that I have to send a money order with his full name and FPS # on it so that they can ID him. I'm scared that the people who open the letters and read the letters before handing them over to the inmates might take the money order. I just want to make sure he gets it. And since it is a money order, how does he actually get the cash? Do the personelle cashe it for him? I was very happy to hear from him. I am not sure how long he's going to be there, but I am glad that the letter writing has begun. Hopefully this is over sooner than later. Oh, he also stated that I could only send pictures, money and letters. Nothing else. Ahh well! :rolleyes:. That's it for my update.

Keepin6
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
The calls in Millhaven don't have a 20 miinute timer on them. My uncle was there before he went to Collins Bay and when he called there was no time limit. We would talk for about an hour, and it would be 11 dollars, if it was on a weekend or after 6. I hate the 20 minute calls. Just hearing that broads voice drives me nuts!

Keepin6
02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh and they can't take the money order, it will have his name on it, he has to sign for the money, and he will get a receipt and you should also keep your receipt for that reason. They just skim thru the letters looking to see if you are talking about anything you shouldn't be, such as breaking out, bringing drugs in, ect.

shortytv
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Oliver 5... like Keeping6 said they dont have any timer on calls, its until they get kicked off the phone by the guards or if someone else is waiting. The phone doesnt actually get cut off... Sometimes my boyfriend skips going to yard and uses the phone to call me and we get to talk for like 50 min - 1 hr. ANd for money orders I just mailed one in with his name on it and referenced his FPS#, and sent it directly to him. He chooses when to deposit it to his canteen ( I guess by signing it and giving it to them). I sent it in a card because i was a little uneasy about it but he got it fine. He says they are only allowed to do like 4 deposits a year or something and i forget the maximum amt.

I have too received letters that were not closed before... not really sure whats up with that too much work??...lol

Oliver5
02-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks to shortytv and Keepin6 for your responses.

I miss my boyfriend a lot, (lol, who doesn't right?). I think about him every day and it's been a little over a month since he's been gone. How do you cope? He got 5 years (for trying to import drugs) which means that in a year and 4 months he'll be out on parole, sooner if he eligible for the acelereated parole release (APR). Maybe even as soon as mid-Oct. I met him when he was out on bail. He was out on bail for a year. So I kind of had a year or so to prepare for his leaving, but you know when your having a great time in a new relationship, you forget. Time doesn't forget though. I just want to know how some of you cope? I'm a very busy person. Between school, work and gym...I have no social life, but yet I still have a lot of time to think about him. From his letters (only got two so far) he seems like he's doing good. That's all that counts. :cuffs:

Keepin6
02-18-2007, 01:27 PM
My bf is in prison in the Pennsylvania. I visit every other weekend and write lots. We talk on the phone daily, he gets one 15 minute call a day. I get atleast 3 8-12 page letters a week and stay busy with work to make me not think about it so much, but I miss the hell out of him. He gets out real soon and I am moving to PGH to live, and let me tell ya...I am counting the days!

Canuck_5
02-22-2007, 11:32 PM
The coping part is always difficult Oliver5 but if you keep yourself busy that helps. The letters are the best when there is constant communication as they help the most especially when they are nice and long, glad to hear you heard from your b/f. As for the timer on phone calls shortytv and Keepin6, I'm wondering if the monitoring of calls are different in certain areas of the institute. Ours were definately timed and I hated it. Maybe rules have changed or maybe it applied to certain inmates?

Oliver5
02-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Have you guys heard of the prison keeping a portion of cantiene money that's sent to inmates?? I sent my boyfriend $250 and he said that the guars/prison keeps $100. He explained to me the reason why, but I forgot. What's all that about??? :eek:

Leanne0106
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
yep they will keep $80.00 for a body bag in case the inmate dies while in custody. I'm serious. I didn't believe it when I was told about it so I made some calls to Corrections Canada.

Oliver5
02-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow are you serious Leanne0106! So everytime money is sent they take $80 out of it, or is it just the first time that money is sent??? That's disturbing. Do you get it back if your transferred out???

Leanne0106
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow are you serious Leanne0106! So everytime money is sent they take $80 out of it, or is it just the first time that money is sent??? That's disturbing. Do you get it back if your transferred out???

Its just the first time a deposit is made into the inmate's account. I agree it is very disturbing. It made me wonder how often it actually happens!!!! if the inmate is transferred, the money still stays in his account (but he doesn't have access to it) The inmate gets the money back the day he is released from the prison.

mybabylove
03-01-2007, 01:35 AM
OMG.... are you serious no wonder my honey wouldnt tell me exactly why they kept the 80 dollars he doged the question a couple of times and then he was like.. oh they just keep it as part of your savings so that when you get out you can take that money with you. Now i understand why he wouldnt tell me..... holy but thats crazy...... for a body bag... im floored

Oliver5
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I just got word that my baby is going to be transferred out of Millhaven assessment and he might be going to Frontenac or Pittsburg out in Ontario. Then hopefully by Nov. he'll be released by Nov. 2007, but he'll be on probation for a few years and he has to live in a half way house first for a while also. Trying to stay optimistic.

Dayle_H
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
:yay: Hey PTO Canada, I've been reading your posts for some time.
My friend is presently residing in the Millhaven Assessment Unit in Ontario. I'm waiting to be cleared for phone calls and I was wondering if visits there are in person or behind glass/with phone?

Thanks for all the great posts, btw....I was going insane before I found this site! :D
I have a friend that is in Millhaven and when I went to visit him last year is was an open visit.. I am going again this weekdend, and it was be an open visit again.

iamatiger27
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey all, my cousin is in Millhaven assesment & the visitor application he sent me was sent back because he only sent me half of the form (it's supposed to be double sided, I only got one side). Does anyone know how I can get another copy of this form? Thanks.

xoxoRubyRedxoxo
03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi, here is a link and all of the forms are here: csc-scc.gc.ca/text/forms/index_e.shtml good luck!

iamatiger27
03-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks xoxoRubyRedxoxo

Oliver5
03-31-2007, 06:29 PM
:D Does anyone have any info about Pittsubrug Institution in Kingston Ontario??? My boyfriend is being transferred from Millhaven to Pittsburg. He qualified for APR, so he'll back to me Nov. 23, 2007. :)

queenbee2012
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
, Jill[/QUOTE]

hi guys im new here just signed up today im trying to get the visiting forum to go see my husband at millhaven but i cant seem to find it anywhere online to print out pls help me if u can thank u !

Love.D
11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
, Jill

hi guys im new here just signed up today im trying to get the visiting forum to go see my husband at millhaven but i cant seem to find it anywhere online to print out pls help me if u can thank u ![/QUOTE]

Here's a link for visiting forms:
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/frmlrs/pdf/0653E.pdf

:D
Good luck! I hope you get to see your husband soon.

and here's a link for visiting federal prisons
http://cfcn-rcafd.org/text/time.pdf

chynabeau
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Visitation Application denied for Millhaven :(

gurlsetzfire
03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Did they give you a written reason why? Sometimes you can write/speak to the V&C department and see if they can further explain to you their reasoning and you can ask if there is anyway to have this overturned (even if it means giving up open visits and settling for closed visits instead). Just be patient, polite and upfront. They may want to ask you questions (if you have a prior criminal record and thats the reason for the denial). Just be completely honest, people make mistakes, and sometimes you;re lucky and get someone compassionate who can lead you in the right direction. You could also try writing directly to the warden. Good luck to you.

A.Cole
04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know how an inmate is sorted when they go to millhaven?

I've heard stories that it can be a dangerous place depending on what unit you are in.

Thanks

gurlsetzfire
04-21-2013, 09:08 AM
It depends on the crime, past behaviour while inside, etc. My man is on J unit which is apparently the worst of the worst. It all depends on where there is room and what he's in for. Even in J unit, as long as he doesn't get wrapped up in all the prison politics he can do his time there safely without any issues. My man has been there for almost 2 yrs without any issues. He says he basically goes with the flow and his PO understands that. He doesn't go outta his way to cause trouble or be involved with people who do, but if everyone put there blockers up in there cells, he does too, just to prevent tension from other inmates, stuff like that. His PO knows how things work in there, basically lay low, flowing along without being a ringleader or directly involved.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk