View Full Version : An inmate has died! Make some noise!

AndreaHayner02
03-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Readers, an inmate has died at Stateville from the COVID-19 virus! Twelve inmates are hospitalized. Some are in intensive care and on ventilators. Seventy-seven (77) additional inmates are isolated. Eleven (11) staff are isolated. The inmate's death was unnecessary! The inmate population numbers are too high. The numbers must be lowered immediately to save the lives of thousands of Illinois inmates. The governor has the power to reduce numbers through pardon and commutation. The director of IDOC has a statutory device, 730 ILCS 5/5-8A-3(d) to expedite the release of all Illinois inmates who qualify for it. This mechanism operates entirely at the director's discretion--no authorization from the governor is needed. We, loved ones and advocates, MUST make a noise so the Governor listens to us. This is the only way we can get help for our loved ones at this desperate time. Please call the governor's office at 217-782-0244 and 217-782-6830. Leave a message at each number. If the voice mailbox is full, call back. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!

patchouli
03-31-2020, 07:37 PM
Here is one of several articles to substantiate the info and to provide a source for the OP:

1st Illinois prison inmate dies of COVID-19, health officials say

The man was imprisoned at Stateville Correctional Center, where officials say there are now 12 men who are hospitalized, “including several requiring ventilators.”

...on Monday, the Illinois Department of Public Health announced that “12 men who were incarcerated at Stateville are now hospitalized” with COVID-19, “including several requiring ventilators.”

Another 77 men incarcerated at Stateville are isolated after showing symptoms of the disease, the department said. Nearly a dozen staff are also isolated.

Inmates and staff at seven (https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/Covid19Response.aspx) facilities operated by the Correction Department have tested positive for the coronavirus. The department did not respond to a request to comment about the death at Stateville or the rising number of inmates and staff who have contracted the virus.

Read entire article below:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2020/3/30/21200222/coronavirus-covid-19-prison-jail-illinois-stateville-first-death

peacehut
03-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Readers, an inmate has died at Stateville from the COVID-19 virus! Twelve inmates are hospitalized. Some are in intensive care and on ventilators. Seventy-seven (77) additional inmates are isolated. Eleven (11) staff are isolated. The inmate's death was unnecessary! The inmate population numbers are too high. The numbers must be lowered immediately to save the lives of thousands of Illinois inmates. The governor has the power to reduce numbers through pardon and commutation. The director of IDOC has a statutory device, 730 ILCS 5/5-8A-3(d) to expedite the release of all Illinois inmates who qualify for it. This mechanism operates entirely at the director's discretion--no authorization from the governor is needed. We, loved ones and advocates, MUST make a noise so the Governor listens to us. This is the only way we can get help for our loved ones at this desperate time. Please call the governor's office at 217-782-0244 and 217-782-6830. Leave a message at each number. If the voice mailbox is full, call back. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!

I see an attempt here finally treated seriously as a post. A little late. By now, EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH A LOVED ON IN IDOC SHOULD BE MASSING AT THE GATES AND DEMANDING THE RELEASE OF THEIR LOVED ONES. If you have been just sitting back and reading the news, then you should have gathered by now that all IL prisons will basically turn into death camps during this virus. You should have been constantly on the phone to the Governor, and IDOC. You should also make sure you are on-record at the prison as being willing to accept your loved one in the event that IDOC starts releasing prisoners en mass. And, they will have to do that at some point, but only prisoners who have a place to go will be released. So update your contact info pronto.

AndreaHayner02
04-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Good job, readers! Keep making those calls to the governor's office. I call each number twice a day and leave a message at each number. Twice when I called the voice mailboxes were full. I just called later and asked again that the inmate population be further reduced. KEEP CALLING.

Marseille
04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
I don’t want to discourage your attempts, but a full mailbox doesn’t do much good if it’s full of your messages. You may get better results by limiting your efforts to one concise, clear, simple message per day, perhaps with some new relevant information each day. Flooding an inbox with repeated messages is just going to earn you an instant delete.

jessesgirl1111
04-02-2020, 07:50 PM
I see an attempt here finally treated seriously as a post. A little late. By now, EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH A LOVED ON IN IDOC SHOULD BE MASSING AT THE GATES AND DEMANDING THE RELEASE OF THEIR LOVED ONES. If you have been just sitting back and reading the news, then you should have gathered by now that all IL prisons will basically turn into death camps during this virus. You should have been constantly on the phone to the Governor, and IDOC. You should also make sure you are on-record at the prison as being willing to accept your loved one in the event that IDOC starts releasing prisoners en mass. And, they will have to do that at some point, but only prisoners who have a place to go will be released. So update your contact info pronto.

Dial it down. Please. Thee are advocated group efforts going on in mass. Including a federal lawsuit filed today on behalf of offenders. Join jut uplc, jha, state rep lashown ford. But most importantly WRITE PRITZKER & ROB JEFFREYS. Have your inmate WRITE. Have him encourage fellow offenders to WRITE!!!!! And don’t stop!!!

peacehut
04-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Go also and step on Pritzker's public Twitter account. State officials hate it when you do that. It embarasses them, and they can't stop tweeting about the virus because they have to communicate with the public. Plus, call up some news reporters and get them to ask both Pritzker and IDPH some pointed questions about inmate release, inmate welfare, and how everything they claim is being done at facilities in terms of sanitation and equipment is somehow not being done since staff as well as inmates are complaining they aren't getting or seeing the stuff they are supposed to get.

evamontes
04-10-2020, 11:35 PM
I would like to know what exactly what to say when I call and what I should write my fiancée is in Pontiac and it does not seem like they are taking many precautions.

AndreaHayner02
04-11-2020, 01:55 AM
Just leave a message something like this: The Governor needs to speed up the release of prisoners to reduce the prison population before another inmate dies. He should use every mechanism he has in his power, including commutation and pardon. to reduce the population.

If you read my thread "Hill is infected with COVID-19," I gave a list of legislators to contact that are sympathetic with this cause. Contact them, too. They put pressure on the governor and Jeffreys, the IDOC director.

Tell your fiancé that a lot of people are working hard to reduce the prison population. There are some powerhouse lawyers in Chicago who have sued the state.

Thank you for your advocacy. You will feel so much better about yourself because you got involved and did something.