View Full Version : Everyone needs to help protect our loved ones from COVID19

AndreaHayner02
03-26-2020, 06:55 PM
Dear Prison Talk Readers,
I have e-mailed and called every legislator in Illinois plus Gov.Pritzker and Lt. Gov. Stratton. If everyone one on this site contacts a few of these people, it will help greatly to bring forward our concerns. COVID19 will kill our loved ones if nothing is done immediately. Gov. Pritzker has the powers of commutation and pardon. He can reduce the number of potential victims sitting in cells waiting to die. The inmates left inside will be given a better chance of survival because of less crowding. A very small percentage of prisoners are slowly being released, but it is not enough. I don't know about you, but I hate feeling helpless. I'm doing what I can to help free these men and women. You may copy and paste my letter below into your own e-mail. The important thing to do is SEND it. Thank you. Andrea Hayner The letter follows:

Truth-in-Sentencing stipulations are preventing humanitarian efforts to release Illinois inmates in the face of the Coronavirus pandemic. Many of these inmates would have been out of prison long ago if not for TIS. The State of Illinois has put a death sentence on these men and women. The Truth-in-Sentencing stipulations are preventing what needs to be done NOW. There is not time for legislative action. The Governor needs to do the right thing to save thousands of lives. He has the powers to pardon and commute. The governor needs to set aside political considerations and reduce the inmate population before there is an unimaginable catastrophe in Illinois. Strongly urge the governor to take immediate action. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Time is of the essence.

AndreaHayner02
03-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Hi, this is Andrea, again. If you do not know your rep or senator's e-mail, go to ilga.gov. All of them can be found there or sometimes a simple search on google can find a page with their e-mail on it. The reps and senators I have called and written to have given me a lot of info on what's happening. I appreciate what they have done, but as I said in my original post, too many inmates are being left behind to die. The legislators will take this more seriously if they receive lots of e-mails and/or calls.

jessesgirl1111
03-27-2020, 07:36 PM
Dear Prison Talk Readers,
I have e-mailed and called every legislator in Illinois plus Gov.Pritzker and Lt. Gov. Stratton. If everyone one on this site contacts a few of these people, it will help greatly to bring forward our concerns. COVID19 will kill our loved ones if nothing is done immediately. Gov. Pritzker has the powers of commutation and pardon. He can reduce the number of potential victims sitting in cells waiting to die. The inmates left inside will be given a better chance of survival because of less crowding. A very small percentage of prisoners are slowly being released, but it is not enough. I don't know about you, but I hate feeling helpless. I'm doing what I can to help free these men and women. You may copy and paste my letter below into your own e-mail. The important thing to do is SEND it. Thank you. Andrea Hayner The letter follows:

Truth-in-Sentencing stipulations are preventing humanitarian efforts to release Illinois inmates in the face of the Coronavirus pandemic. Many of these inmates would have been out of prison long ago if not for TIS. The State of Illinois has put a death sentence on these men and women. The Truth-in-Sentencing stipulations are preventing what needs to be done NOW. There is not time for legislative action. The Governor needs to do the right thing to save thousands of lives. He has the powers to pardon and commute. The governor needs to set aside political considerations and reduce the inmate population before there is an unimaginable catastrophe in Illinois. Strongly urge the governor to take immediate action. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Time is of the essence.

But it sounds like your focus is solely on TIS. This issue in general with all offenders needs to be addressed, and have more urgency done to release offenders. Several received parole plans today so there are def steps to be taken to get them out. Hopefully they ramp up the efforts quickly.

AndreaHayner02
03-27-2020, 08:45 PM
I was just saying TIS is a stumbling block for many offenders to be released right now. The prisons are releasing the pregnant, non-violent offenders, the aged, those with medical problems, and low-level drug offenders. To get the numbers down, more inmates need to be released and many of these have served many, many years because of TIS. More offenders need to be released now to get the numbers down so the remaining inmates have a better chance of survival.

jessesgirl1111
03-28-2020, 08:51 AM
I was just saying TIS is a stumbling block for many offenders to be released right now. The prisons are releasing the pregnant, non-violent offenders, the aged, those with medical problems, and low-level drug offenders. To get the numbers down, more inmates need to be released and many of these have served many, many years because of TIS. More offenders need to be released now to get the numbers down so the remaining inmates have a better chance of survival.

Agreed. But there are reasons tia offenders are serving 85% and unfortunately they wonít be at the top of the list because of the crime.

AndreaHayner02
03-28-2020, 11:11 AM
I understand completely, but most people in prison didn't receive a death sentence upon conviction, but everyone sitting in a cell has now received one. The governor's best chance of saving lives is to put aside politics and release those that have proven they will be successful upon release, as well as those that have already been released because of low-level crimes. There are women and men in prison who are hard workers who are in there for very serious crimes. These people have been rehabilitated by taking their classes seriously and working hard. I'm saying that the governor needs to look at individual inmate records to make his decision for further release. The wardens and other officers at the prisons know these men and women. They know who has the most chance of being successful on the outside. The object is to get the numbers down so the remaining inmates can be protected and cared for when they do get sick. And everyone will get sick now if the numbers aren't decreased.

Peacefinder
03-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Covid-19 has a death rate of less than 2%. It isn't a death sentence by any means.

LotusBlossom23
03-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Covid-19 has a death rate of less than 2%. It isn't a death sentence by any means.

Iím not trying to be a jerk or pick fights here but thatís not completely accurate
Info about the death rate. I can give you links to scientific data and the actual documented numbers by the CDC and world governments. The death rate varies due to many different factors and reasons. In Italy, itís 10%. In Germany, itís .5%. In Iran itís 7%. Globally it stand at about 3.4% as an average. And this virus is brand new and has just exploded and started in some places. There are still a lot of sick people and people in critical condition. Theyíre still finding new symptoms and healthy young people are 40% of cases here, some are dying. Virus mutate, and in China they found thereíd a deadlier strain of COVID-19. In America we currently stand at a 1.5% death rate BUT weíre still in early days here. That could change due to the length of the infection, it has a second round, when people can go into respiratory failure, even after experiencing mild or moderate symptoms.

Are we truly counting in the prison population, taking in all the factors of age, health conditions of the prisoners, and the crowded (and I am assuming in some facilities, often unsanitary) conditions? If we look at an area like NYC where people are shoulder to shoulder, itís no shock theyíre getting hammered so hard by this. Currently, one person is dying every 9 minutes of COVID-19 complications in NYC. Itís a highly infective disease that can turn deadly and we donít know the full picture yet on it, including death rates.

Just saying this because I donít want people to think ďoh then itís not too bad, this will not become a serious issueĒ and they donít take action.

trauma4us
03-28-2020, 06:29 PM
I'm a nurse practitioner on the front lines in IL and we don't test everyone, only those who have symptoms bad enough to be hospitalized. Others that are screened due to symptoms and not needing hospitalization, are sent home with "presumed resp illness" to self-isolate. So, the stats are not exactly correct.

My son is in on a TIS 85% crime. And...yes they need to be able to review the TIS offenders' records too for early release. However, that would be a legislative nightmare.

AndreaHayner02
03-28-2020, 08:22 PM
The legislature is not in session now, nor will it be any time soon from what I'm hearing from the legislators. However, the governor has the power to pardon and commute anyone who was sentenced under TIS. People think the law has to be changed to let TIS inmates out early, but the governor has the power to do so at any time. AND NOW WOULD BE THE TIME! The number of inmates need to be decreased.