View Full Version : Have any of your LOs facilities gone on confined to cell lockdown?

ILLINOIS.PAL
03-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Is there a way to find out?

If they do go into confined to cell, what does that mean (like why would they do that)?

My partner (Dixon) called Friday and said there was a rumor they’d be going into confined to cell lockdown. I haven’t heard from him since. He usually always calls Saturday and Sunday so needless to say I’m a little worried.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Sometimes the prison will tell you if you call. Usually they post a notice if everyone is locked down. When my LO goes off the radar screen, I step up the mail and order him some books and word search on the assumption that he is on lock down. He will need the communication and comfort... Lockdowns are the way the system manages problems, such as fights. In this case, it would probably be to stop spread of the virus. He will be cooped up for however long they deem it necessary. Hard on them for sure...

ILLINOIS.PAL
03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Sometimes the prison will tell you if you call. Usually they post a notice if everyone is locked down. When my LO goes off the radar screen, I step up the mail and order him some books and word search on the assumption that he is on lock down. He will need the communication and comfort... Lockdowns are the way the system manages problems, such as fights. In this case, it would probably be to stop spread of the virus. He will be cooped up for however long they deem it necessary. Hard on them for sure...

Unfortunately the IDOC website lists every prison as being on full lockdown.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 10:08 AM
This is a stressful time for him. They can't exercise and have nothing to do all day. Put you worries to work. Get him some reading materials and letters going. Mine likes the adult maze books and word search for entertainment. This happens every once in awhile for varied reasons so I have got this drill down:) Write and ask him some questions about his life. I have learned a lot during these times because it provides us with an opportunity for deeper communication...

ILLINOIS.PAL
03-22-2020, 10:19 AM
It’s just really frustrating not being able to get immediate answers. Even the emails take over a day (lately it’s been 2-5 days turnaround time) and there’s really shitty WiFi in their cells.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 10:26 AM
I hear you. Just tell yourself, "It is what it is" because in this prison adventure, there is much you cannot control. I have learned to just switch gears when I have to. Mine was recently in the hole and that is even worse for communication. I do what I can and then deal with life out here. He did the best he could to stay in touch with me and that is all that I can ask. I am digging through cards today and trying to think of interesting things to write about. My goal is to make sure he has mail at least three days a week during a lockdown. That is within my control. How long have you been with him?

ILLINOIS.PAL
03-22-2020, 10:37 AM
A year and a half now.

He told me Friday night they were headed toward confined lockdown. I sent out an envelope a day last week (I guess my intuition knew) so hopefully that’ll keep him company this coming week. I just hope this lockdown is because they’re short staffed and not because someone in there possibly has it, or because he’s sick, or because he’s in trouble, etc.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 10:43 AM
You've got this:)))) I think they will post when the virus arrives at his prison. They are in most states. He has to be worried so you are doing a great thing! Lockdowns are usually for group issues, such as a riot in the yard. If he were being disciplined, he's be in the hole. I learned some interesting things about my LO when I wrote a letter giving him 25 little known facts about myself and asking him the same. I found a site with interesting conversational questions and asked him some of those because I am scrambling when i write everyday to come up with something interesting. His answers were often surprising. This is a great time to get to know more about him. Be very kind to yourself also!

ILLINOIS.PAL
03-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Well damn I was gonna order him some puzzle books but it says they won’t be delivered until APRIL 21!!!

MizzyMuffling
03-22-2020, 10:56 AM
My guy is in NC and they suspended visits for one month but got 2 free 5-min calls per day and extra channels on TV. He's been calling daily and to be honest he's almost oblivious to what's going on out here/there.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Hopefully, they won't be in lock down that long, but it could happen! I heard there were going to be delays through Amazon on non-essential stuff... I better plan for that too. You could pick up puzzle books at the store and then run him a copy of a page or two to send via snail mail... I hate this part of the prison relationship thing...

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 11:10 AM
Wow! After hearing that it was going to take so long to get a puzzle book to your LO, I went on Amazon to order the rest of my man's book series. Same. I knew Amazon was scaling back on shipments of non-essentials but that is now another avenue shut down. I am going to Walmart to get a couple of puzzle books...

rockchalk1
03-22-2020, 11:16 AM
I live in Illinois and the entire state is on a shelter in place lockdown! This is serious shit so yeah don't be surprised if the prisoners are in lockdown in their cells too and have very minimal activity if any outside of their cells. My kids have been home from college for a week and have not even left the house and our shelter order didn't go into place until yesterday. This is bad and if it gets in the prison, it will spread like wildfire. There are not enough beds to handle this so they are trying to keep it from spreading through the prisons. If it gets in it is most likely going to be from someone throwing in contraband of some sort. When my husband was in a Federal Camp contraband was being thrown over the fence all the time. I know where he was in Duluth they have cut off all visiting and changed a lot of stuff up there due to this, but so far they are not confined completely to their rooms. I'm happy he's out but feel bad for guys in there who may get exposed due to some dumbass and the contraband.

RaeLR
03-22-2020, 11:27 AM
They are stressed inside for that reason. My LO said they knew the virus was coming. What worries me is that many in his unit are already sick with some bug. He has been in bad shape all week. They will be more vulnerable to the virus....

Melly1*
03-28-2020, 06:00 PM
This is my first post, I’m just learning how to navigate around. My LO is in Sheridan (IL). I saw on our local news that a “contractual worker” had the virus and now a few correctional officers do too. I talked to my l/o last Tuesday. He said they were in their cells a lot more, allowed to shower every three days. I have not heard one word from him (neither has any other family members) since then. I’m trying to stay calm. I will call there on Monday. Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting to know everybody.

RaeLR
03-28-2020, 06:30 PM
This is my first post, I’m just learning how to navigate around. My LO is in Sheridan (IL). I saw on our local news that a “contractual worker” had the virus and now a few correctional officers do too. I talked to my l/o last Tuesday. He said they were in their cells a lot more, allowed to shower every three days. I have not heard one word from him (neither has any other family members) since then. I’m trying to stay calm. I will call there on Monday. Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Welcome Melly! This is a good place to get support and answers. The virus will eventually be in all prisons so we stocked up on cold meds just in case and books and snacks to make a lockdown easier for him. He has paper and envelopes to write. You can do much by sending him notes of encouragement and keeping the communication going even if only by snail mail. They have too much time to worry about things in there so stay calm even if he doesn't. Learn to not worry too much about what you can't control because it will eat up your life out here...

jessesgirl1111
03-28-2020, 07:02 PM

They are on a 14 day full quarantine lockdown there to try and stop it. The other facilities are on admin quarantine until at least April 20 now with very minimal movement. Welcome to pto!

Tooter83
03-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Idoc just posted this on Twitter
We have identified our first confirmed case of COVID-19 at Menard Correctional Center. One officer has tested positive and is quarantined at home.

Elly8897
03-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Hi..
Son at Big Muddy.. out of cells in small groups twice daily for 20-30 minutes..has access to phone, shower, email and commissary . Was in the yard the other day. Says they have a couple people isolated for covid testing..unsure if results are back.. this is what he told me today.
Says overall population is older there, he feels a lot of inmates are high risk.
Hope inmates, guards and families stay safe

Sarah10
06-08-2020, 05:02 AM
Hey guys, I’m really new here and I was wondering if anyone had any info on Dixon at the moment? I haven’t heard from my friend there in a few weeks and usually hear from him everyday! His family have received no phone calls either. Any help would help.

jessesgirl1111
06-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, I’m really new here and I was wondering if anyone had any info on Dixon at the moment? I haven’t heard from my friend there in a few weeks and usually hear from him everyday! His family have received no phone calls either. Any help would help.

I just replied to your other post. Call there and speak to his counselor. Ask if he’s in seg and tell them you’re concerned about this much time. You can also email doc.covid@illinois.gov
Put “concerned no contact in 2 weeks” in the subject and write this out. You WILL get a response. Be sure you include his IDOC #

Sarah10
06-08-2020, 04:02 PM
I just replied to your other post. Call there and speak to his counselor. Ask if he’s in seg and tell them you’re concerned about this much time. You can also email doc.covid@illinois.gov
Put “concerned no contact in 2 weeks” in the subject and write this out. You WILL get a response. Be sure you include his IDOC #

Thank you so much