View Full Version : Does anyone know about Administrative Hold

Hatter33
08-04-2004, 01:03 PM
My friend was sentenced to Morgantown minimal security FCI. Upon arrival he was taken and placed in maximum security solitary confinement. He has been there 6 days now. He was told that he would receive 1 shower every 3 days and 1 phone call every 30 days. He is only aloud out of his cell once every 23 hours and then only for one hour. Is this normal procedure for someone that is supposed to be in minimal security but has been put on administrative hold?

toi_ama
08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm not familiar with federal prisons, but usually when someone is put into a state prison, I think it's standard procedure that they're placed in a seg environment for a certain length of time before being placed into general population. Maybe that's it.

Someone will be along soon to help you with this who knows more about federal prisons.

mrsdragoness
08-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Hatter,

I'm going to move this to the Federal forum where you will get specific information for Fed prisons. Good luck!

SadMonkey
08-04-2004, 06:08 PM
He may just be being held in SHU until a bed opens up in the general population, although I am not familiar with the term "administrative hold." Did he or anyone else explain to you what this meant? Did he self-surrender or is he a transfer from another prison? If he came in with a busload of other guys, are they all being held in SHU also? Answers to these questions might help you figure out what is going on.

minniecas
08-05-2004, 04:17 AM
That doesn't sound right.. Did he get any paper work on why they put him on adminstrative Hold.. If he did have him sent it to you and see what the reason is.. From there you may have to make some calls.. My man is in state and they put him on a hold and was going to transfer him.. When I got the paper work I was bad cause I let him sit there for a few weeks.. Than I made some calls and he was out in three days.. They did not transfer him..good luck hang in there with him....I would call the prison and speak to his counselor...I spoke to whoever I could... I also called the cdc.. I'm not sure who over see federal prison.. But you can find out...Make sure they know he has someone that cares....Minnie:cool: Ps if you need someone to talk to PM me anytime anyplace.....

greyghost
08-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Let me start by stating that I understand your frustration, your concern. Your friend arrives at his designated institution, you expect him to go on in and start serving his sentence and the next thing you know, he ends up in Special Housing. Sounds scary, but it is not as bad as it seems. I'm not going to argue that it's fun, nor fair, it's just not bad as it sounds. So, let me try to explain a few things (without know the details I will just highlight the basics):

(1) Upon arrival he was taken and placed in maximum security solitary confinement.

In the federal system this is called "Special Housing". Special Housing is sub-divided into two groups: 'Administrative Detention' and 'Disciplinary Segregation'. Administrative Detention is what your friend is mostly likely in right now. Adim Det could be for various reasons, some of which are protection, waiting on bed space, hold-over, pending transfers, medical, investigations........ the list goes on and on. Disciplinary Segregation is just that - a person is placed in Dis Seg as punishment, as discipline. Now all of the above is also know as 'Seg', the 'Hole', 'Shu' (pronouced shoe), solitary, etc... again this list is long as well.

(2) He has been there 6 days now. He was told that he would receive 1 shower every 3 days and 1 phone call every 30 days. He is only aloud out of his cell once every 23 hours and then only for one hour. Is this normal procedure for someone that is supposed to be in minimal security but has been put on administrative hold?

Believe it or not, yes this is normal. At least normal in reference to how Administrative Detention is managed. Disc Seg can be even stricter. As for him being in minimum security: in reference to SHU, it makes no difference what your security level is, if you are in SHU, you will all be handled the same (at least they are supposed to). In SHU, you can have campers and Hard Core Inmates in the same unit. Now that doesn't mean that they are placed together, it just means that they are on the same floor. A SHU officer is going to handle the camper the same as a guy from the USP, he has to. So, as difficult as this is right not, it is not improper that he is in there. A previous poster is correct in that when he was first placed in Seg, he would have had to have received a detention order that would have explained why he was being locked up. If it is because of bed space, he'll just have to wait until space is available. However, based on my experience it would be 'my guess' that he is locked up because there is someone on the compound that he needs to be separated from (i.e. a co-defendant and/or someone that he may have testified or provided information against - just my guess).

I hope that this helps clarify things a little. It wont make things easier, just a little bit better understood.

Greyghost

ExCop
01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Correct Greyghost.

You sure are smart!! Did you work there tooooooo????? LOL

If he is in Seg........coming in from the outside, I would say there's a 99% chance that there is someone on the compound involved in his case or he is related to somehow! The strange thing is, one phone call in 30 days?????

That doesn't make ANY sense! What did he do wrong?

radio25801
01-19-2005, 03:36 PM
I am so greatful for this site i had the same question thank you grey ghost.