View Full Version : Can they read and stop outgoing mail in Ohio Correctional Institutions

Ravenslove
07-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Can they stop outgoing mail in Ohio if it is just a love letter nothing that could be considered a security risk? I have recieved information that they have stopped my man's mail to me. Anyone familiar with my posts knows I used to be a c/o. I know I can't visit. But is it legal to open and or stop his mail? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :angry:

Alynn528
07-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I know they can read it coming in but going out I didnt think so...who knows

mrsdragoness
07-31-2004, 04:13 AM
Yes they can read outgoing mail... they need an excuse such as suspecting illegal activities, etc. but they can make up any excuse they want to justify their reasoning.

Sorry.. if there's no reason for it, then its just vindictive. And yes, they WILL do that as well. :(

Ravenslove
07-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Yes they can read outgoing mail... they need an excuse such as suspecting illegal activities, etc. but they can make up any excuse they want to justify their reasoning.

Sorry.. if there's no reason for it, then its just vindictive. And yes, they WILL do that as well. :(

Yes I am sure that is what it is. They haven't opened them yet just sitting on a desk. They probably will though. wonder what illegal activity is in a love letter?

1nonlyTeRe
08-02-2004, 01:32 AM
This happen to a friend of mine, who is an ex CO.. she had to start mailing the letters in her girlfriend's name and using her address to send and receive her letters.. it sucks but they do do it to be vindictive!!!

MargaretRae
08-06-2004, 11:16 AM
It is illegal for them to read either incoming or outgoing mail. They can and do get around this by saying that they believe the inmate is either sending or receiving contraband. But they must be able to prove their beliefs. There is a problem with the mail either incoming or outgoing. I talked to my District Senator about this problem just this past Monday, Aug. 2, 2004. She told me that it is a Statewide problem. I want so badly to get involved with prison reform in this State. Anyone else interested?

stephanie2003
08-11-2004, 12:38 AM
You know I was wondering some of these same things. What kind of things can you send or does it all have to come from a bookstore. Like can I send wordsearches and crosswords or not? I know I have sent lots of cards and some he hasn't got to keep they let him read them and then they take them back and put with his belongs. They said that it could be a weapon like it will have a bow or something on the front.I have sent him books from bookstores and he has got them but I have sent him letters and some has took up to a week to get to him and others in a couple of days. I don't get it. sometimes I get so mad. I try to write 4-5 times a week to keep his sprits up and when he don't get the letter it is irritateing.. Anyone else have this problem?

Dre's Lady
08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
I'M NOT SO SURE ABOUT IT BEING ILLEGAL TO READ INCOMING OR OUTGOING MAIL. MAYBE EVERY STATE HAS ITS OWN RULES. I DON'T THINK THAT APPLIES TO FLORIDA. THEY CAN STOP INCOMING MAIL OR OUTGOING MAIL FOR A REASONABLE CAUSE.

GC
08-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Its not only legal to monitor incoming/outgoing mail in prisons its expected. Any mail from former CO's will be closely watched because they have knowledge of the institution along with where CO's live.

MargaretRae
08-11-2004, 08:46 AM
You know I was wondering some of these same things. What kind of things can you send or does it all have to come from a bookstore. Like can I send wordsearches and crosswords or not? I know I have sent lots of cards and some he hasn't got to keep they let him read them and then they take them back and put with his belongs. They said that it could be a weapon like it will have a bow or something on the front.I have sent him books from bookstores and he has got them but I have sent him letters and some has took up to a week to get to him and others in a couple of days. I don't get it. sometimes I get so mad. I try to write 4-5 times a week to keep his sprits up and when he don't get the letter it is irritateing.. Anyone else have this problem?
Stephanie, probably everyone in this State experiences the same type of problem. As far as books are concerned they must come from the company, in a wrapped manufacturers wrapper. They can receive cassette tapes, as long as they come from the manufacturer and in the manufacturers wrapper, except in a clothing box. Then you can send the tapes, again wrapped in the original wrappers. There seems to be a bigger problem now happening at Belmont Correctional, where my son is incarcerated. I am going to start another link for Belmont. Please check there.

ohiogirl
08-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Raven - has your mail started to flow again?

babygirl350
08-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Can they stop outgoing mail in Ohio if it is just a love letter nothing that could be considered a security risk? I have recieved information that they have stopped my man's mail to me. Anyone familiar with my posts knows I used to be a c/o. I know I can't visit. But is it legal to open and or stop his mail? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :angry:

Yes, it is 100% legal for them to open and read the mail. As far as stopping it from reaching him, they are suppose to have a legitimate reason for doing so and notify him as well as the sender. Then he can opt to have it sent back to you. My guess would be since you are an ex CO they are just showing their authority.
You know it is a shame, but it is their word against yours whether it even arrived. We have no way of proving that. I sure wish we did sometimes.

My very best to you and I hope you are able to get this resolved.

Remember Hope is a good thing, it springs life eternal.

Ravenslove
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
No I get one that sneaks by every two weeks or so. Raven writes one sometimes two letters a day. The mail won't be normal until he gets rolled out to another institution. Please God make that soon.

Thanks for all your good wishes, and mail dances.