View Full Version : Greensville Correctional Center; Jarrett, Virginia-Visitation

narleymarley03
07-29-2004, 01:37 AM
I visited my son last Sunday. They were turning away visitors with flip flops, which had not been a problem. The CO I spoke to said sandals were fine, even the ones between the toes. But , no flip flops.

Tuff_Act
08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I visited my husband at Deep MEADOW ON SUNDAY WEARING FLIP FLOPS. I would have died if they turned me away...

forever
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
make up rules as they go - my husband was there and it was insane!!! No one will give you any answers if you ask questions and they are the rudest people on earth

BudBun
09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi All - My boyfriend just got transferred to Greensville Correctional Center in Jarrett, VA. I have visted many of facilities but I understand that they are all different. Can anyone direct me in the right direction as to do's and don'ts please. How the visits are? Any information would be greatly appreciated. DOC cant make up their mind where they want to place him. He just got transferred a month ago and now they moved in again. Thank you all and god bless.

Nicole

Niightdrmr
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
HI- I am going to move this into the Virginia state forum so someone there who might be more familiar with that facility can be of more help to you!!! One thing you will find out quickly with the DOC they LOVE TO MOVE THEM AROUND - basically here in NC its like a law or rule they move them every 6 months - so they dont get accustomed to any one place and it reduces the chances of gangs forming and also doesnt allow one to become too high up on the totem pole having the status of having been there the longest!! So dont get too upset when they move him because it can happen again and probably will.......

Kelly

mrs.battsiii
09-09-2007, 12:50 PM
there is info on all the facilities, and you can find posts in the eastern region i believe. i don't know how to post links in messages, but just go to the main listings, scroll down to where the states are and find VA.

hope this helps. dw or someone else may be along soon to direct you specifically.

take care,

btw- hubby was in GRCC. visits are the same as anywhere else. the facility is a little more rough around the edges and you have to take the little bus to the correct unit. and you have to wait for the bus to pick you up. not a long ride at all.

the drive is decent. right off i-95.

take care.

that's funny, i was also going to say, i am surprised one of the mods hasn't come along and swiped this away... and she did!

Dee07
09-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi I go to Greensville.
They have the odd/even visiting day thing--depending on the inmate number. You can take $20+ change in to visit. There are 3 different visting rooms and a bus takes you from the processing area to the vr. You can't take an umbrella so if it rains--have a raincoat. You can hug/kiss at the beginning and end of a visit. There are tables outside, but if you go there, you have to stay there...even if it gets hot, etc. The dress code is basic--you can wear jewelry, flip/flops, hats, sunglasses. Only take one car key in with you--some variation on this from week to week...if you have any questions, just pm me.

dwfighterva
09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
There is also a thread with some good information here (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273280)

Now hold on because I am going to move this to the Eastern Region where Greensville is located. :D

BudBun
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Can someone tell me a little about the visiting procedures for Greensville in Jarratt, VA. He just got transferred from LVCC which is a pretty layed back facility. I want to have a heads up on things. Also, I've been told you need to be on a visiting list and approved before you can visit. He is at the actual prison, not the work camp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicole

Abercrombiegrl
09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
My b/f jus got moved there and the only i know is i called and you do not have to be on the list. visitation is on sat and sundays depending on even or odd and from 8am to 2pm

Abercrombiegrl
09-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I agree with forever the girl on the phone for visitation there was soo rude and i had just found out he was in prison so i really wasnt in the mood for her attitude so she got it right back. I cant wait to see how the vistation is!

Abercrombiegrl
09-25-2007, 06:37 PM
does anyone know if the imates can smoke in greensville?

Greenville
09-27-2007, 09:06 AM
No smoking at Greenville or any federal prison

Dee07
09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Greensville in VA is not a federal prison. I am not positive, but I believe smoking is allowed.

bobbyswife
10-07-2007, 12:25 PM
smoking is not allowed

LeeLee's Lady
12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
my husband has started to smoke like a chimney since being at Greensville. So yes, they can surely smoke!!! They're allowed to smoke at the State level... unless they're in a non-smoking pod.

ChristianLdy
12-18-2007, 03:12 AM
There are smoking units and non-smoking units from what I understand. You can specifically ask to go to whichever one suits your needs. If you're in a non-smoking pod, you can't even order cigarettes from the commissary.

Dee07
12-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello
This is just to let people know about the holiday visiting schedule for GRCC
The weekend will be on the regular odd/even schedule
Christmas Dec 25 will be an odd visiting day
New Years Day Jan 1 will be an even visiting day
There will be no visits on Monday Dec 24 or Monday Dec 31
Hope it helps....Dee:o

ChristianLdy
12-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info Dee! :)

ChristianLdy
12-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm headed for my first visit at Greensville this weekend. Can anyone tell me any special rules they have there? I know I can only bring my key and a clear bag of quarters.... but how about things like dress? Do they have the "no denim" rule? No underwire bras? What's the procedure like for checking in? Is there anything special I need to do before going or can I just show up the first time and fill out the forms there?

Hmmm.... so many questions, so much anxiety! :) I haven't seen hubby since he's been transferred so I just don't want anything to jeopardize my being able to see him.

Thank you wonderful people of the VA forum!

Dee07
12-19-2007, 03:11 PM
HEllo!
Greensville is ok. It gets busy! I try to go around 10 so I don't get bumped. You have to follow the odd/even schedule. People can wear denim and I never heard anyone complain about the underwire rule. The only thing I ever heard about is when something was see-through or too low cut. The COs are pretty fair. The first time you go, you have to fill out the long form....background check, basic info, etc...after that you just fill out the transportation form. When you go into the processing area, all the visitors for the units process together, then you ride the bus to either S-1, S-2, or S-3. It will say which one on the paper. The other visitors are usually helpful as well. If you have any questions, I can help. PM me.
More than anything--have fun and enjoy your time together! Bless

rdcrptncamras
12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
No smoking at Greenville or any federal prison

My penpal talks to me all the time about the other inmates who smoke

rdcrptncamras
12-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I got these little paper crowns out of a holiday cracker at a Christmas party, and I saved one for my penpal. It is folded to a small size and is made of tissue paper type of material. I would like to put it in an envelope to my penpal, but I am not sure if it will be allowed. If it isn't allowed, will the whole package be returned? I need to know as I just moved and my next letter out will be with my new address. I would hate for it to be delayed and then have a problem with my letters not getting to me :)
Please advise

my penpal is in S-3 (I don't know what that means, but it is stamped on all his letters, so I figure it might make a difference) in Greensville CC in Jarratt.

Thank you
Michele

Dee07
12-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Michele
Who knows? S-3 is the section of GRCC. It is so big, there are 3 sections that almost run like their own prisons. If it is not approved, the whole letter will be returned. I have only sent items of paper. Who knows? It might go through...it might not. Sorry to not be much help. I would send it separately from the letter--maybe just include a note--that way if it gets returned, the whole thing doesn't come back. Good luck. Maybe a pic of the crown is the best way to go...Have a great new year! Dee

ChristianLdy
01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed Christmas and New Years!

Can anyone tell me if we're allowed to order books, etc from approved vendors (Amazon, Barnes & Noble...) and have them sent directly or does the inmate have to order them themselves? I've gotten conflicting information and I'd really like to surprise my husband with a few books. It's just not the same if he has to order them himself, ya know? :)

Daveswife
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Your best bet is to call the prison and ask what their policy is.

ChristianLdy
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Daveswife. :) I'll do that.

Dee07
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Hello-My experience with GRCC is that if the inmate doesn't order the material himself from an approved vendor, it gets sent back. It's a big hassle. You should definitely check first. Good luck!

ChristianLdy
01-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Dee! That's what I'm discovering too. Jeesh, I wish they'd make it easier for us to love and support our husbands while they're in there! It would be so nice to be able to surprise him with something once in a while. Oh well, I'll just have to keep being creative with those letters and cards. :)

Dee07
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Hang in there--I did a lot with photos and printshop...making cards,etc..the situation calls for super creativity....don't let anyone or anything discourage you from the mission of offering support and encouragement to your loved one...

heylady
02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi I just joined prison.com while looking for a south hampton work camp and this site came up. I saw a message of someone looking for carpoolers to Greensville where my son is located. "ChristianLdy" I am trying to find the person who is looking for the name of this person named "Nicole". Can you assist me. Thank you, Heylady.

ChristianLdy
02-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Heylady - I just pm'd you. :)

soupdbone
05-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi All - My boyfriend just got transferred to Greensville Correctional Center in Jarrett, VA. I have visted many of facilities but I understand that they are all different. Can anyone direct me in the right direction as to do's and don'ts please. How the visits are? Any information would be greatly appreciated. DOC cant make up their mind where they want to place him. He just got transferred a month ago and now they moved in again. Thank you all and god bless.

Nicole

No hugging or kissing for over a minute. No long visits.

Phillip :taz:

soupdbone
05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Greensville in VA is not a federal prison. I am not positive, but I believe smoking is allowed.

yes you can smoke until jan. or feb. 2010 when all facilities are smoke free, i know because i was just released.

Soupdbone :angry:

ChristianLdy
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Congratulations, soup. Best of luck to you. :)

ciboo849
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Im looking for my husband that just got 2 greensville please help

dwfighterva
08-09-2009, 05:26 PM
You can look on the Inmate Locator (http://www2.vipnet.org/cgi-bin/vadoc/doc.cgi) and get his information on where he is and what his number is. Then you can send him letter at:

His name, DOC number
Greensville Correctional Center
901 Corrections Way
Jarratt, VA 23870-9614

MimiPardo
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I visited my son last Sunday. They were turning away visitors with flip flops, which had not been a problem. The CO I spoke to said sandals were fine, even the ones between the toes. But , no flip flops.

Thank you for this in comming from miami, fl to visit my husband in greensville and i think i would have had an attack if they didnt let me see him over flip flops [which i wear daily]...so thank you soo much:rolleyes:!

MimiPardo
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi I go to Greensville.
They have the odd/even visiting day thing--depending on the inmate number. You can take $20+ change in to visit. There are 3 different visting rooms and a bus takes you from the processing area to the vr. You can't take an umbrella so if it rains--have a raincoat. You can hug/kiss at the beginning and end of a visit. There are tables outside, but if you go there, you have to stay there...even if it gets hot, etc. The dress code is basic--you can wear jewelry, flip/flops, hats, sunglasses. Only take one car key in with you--some variation on this from week to week...if you have any questions, just pm me.

Im Comming from Miami, FL To see My Husband In Greensville. How Exactly Is it? How Much Time Do They Give You too see Your Loved One? Thank You Much for The Info you have Already Posted! Im New at this So Any Info Helps Big Time;)
Thanks!

MimiPardo
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
HEllo!
Greensville is ok. It gets busy! I try to go around 10 so I don't get bumped. You have to follow the odd/even schedule. People can wear denim and I never heard anyone complain about the underwire rule. The only thing I ever heard about is when something was see-through or too low cut. The COs are pretty fair. The first time you go, you have to fill out the long form....background check, basic info, etc...after that you just fill out the transportation form. When you go into the processing area, all the visitors for the units process together, then you ride the bus to either S-1, S-2, or S-3. It will say which one on the paper. The other visitors are usually helpful as well. If you have any questions, I can help. PM me.
More than anything--have fun and enjoy your time together! Bless

I Keep seeing This odd/even schedule Thing.....can you please explain that! my husband just got locked up and sent to greensville so im really new at this. please explain. thanks=0]

VABlessed
08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Your husband can ask for an extended visit because you are coming so far. You might be able to visit both days or at least not get bumped. The even/odd thing is this--the last digit of his state number is either even or odd. The inmates can visit on calendar days that are the same. So somebody with an odd number could visit on the 15 and the evens visit on the 16th. He has to request the extra time though so be sure he gets right on it. have fun and travel safely.

Jean t7
11-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi,all, I was a religious volunteer at GVCC a few years ago and see some of this info may be out of date. However, the following guidelines are for volunteers, so they might not be the same for visitors.

GVCC didn't allow denim; one of my buddies had to go to Walmart in Emporia NC and get khakis when he forgot one day. Underwire bras were fine; in fact you had to wear underwear--though noone actually checked! You couldn't let any of your underwear be exposed; no bra straps, underwear bands, etc can show. No sweat clothes. No short skirts or shorts. No flip flops or sandals (argh, my favorite footwear!).

I'd suggest erring on the side of caution. There's no point in challenging the guards: they're the ones who say if you can get in or not.

ETA: for official stuff, visit www dot vadoc dot state dot va dot us , click offenders, then prison life

Onedaycloser13
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
these guidelines are a little outdated, because when I went to visit there were people that wore jeans, I wore sandals so I know they are allowed...and I swear I saw someone with flip flops. Actually clothes wise they are alot less strict than Buckingham....

Jean t7
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi, Kand, not sure if you mean the stuff I said or the stuff on the official prison website. Like I said, I'd be cautious. I'd rather wear shoes than get stuck outside in flipflops. But it looks like some of the guidelines are stricter for volunteers, eg, the no denim rule.

Onedaycloser13
11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
No, I didn't even read the website, because I make a habit to call and find out the rules for the specific prison before I go. I don't think they used to allow jeans,because my friends son used to be there and she wasn't allowed...but now they do..so I don't know. They are very strict on what you can and can't do in the visitation, however, and will pat you down at least twice before you even get to where you are going....not sure if it the same for visitors.

Onedaycloser13
11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
sorry not sure if it is the same for volunteers.

Jean t7
11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
You're absolutely right about calling ahead to the specific CC. Even that can mess you up, though, because one duty officer might tell you one thing, while another one says another thing. Maybe printing out the guidelines and having them in hand to show in case there's a hassle would work.

My experience was to follow the rules and then some. It is just too easy to get snagged.

JR09
11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Well i know they arent that strict about clothing, just nothing too revealing. And i know for a fact that flip flops and denim are allowed b/c i have been tons of times wearing exactly that and have never been turned away.

Onedaycloser13
11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Well i know they arent that strict about clothing, just nothing too revealing. And i know for a fact that flip flops and denim are allowed b/c i have been tons of times wearing exactly that and have never been turned away.

thank you, and I am going to add and caution to pick your arguement with the CO's very carefully because though you may have a handbook, they could very well cut your visits completely. It is a very different world for people who are there on a volunteer basis, who probably arent going to worry if they can come back, to those of us who really want to see out loved ones, and could very well get those privelages taken for any reason the CO sees fit....

JR09
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
thank you, and I am going to add and caution to pick your arguement with the CO's very carefully because though you may have a handbook, they could very well cut your visits completely. It is a very different world for people who are there on a volunteer basis, who probably arent going to worry if they can come back, to those of us who really want to see out loved ones, and could very well get those privelages taken for any reason the CO sees fit....

Very true....When i first started going i didnt even realize that flip flops where an issue, because i would say like 90% of the girls there where wearing them too. But just to be safe i always bring a change of clothes and shoes lol

Onedaycloser13
11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
I know in some they are, and in Greensville they will let you change...some prisons however do not...so we are lucky. Never wore flip flops myself, but I thought they were allowed because I swore I saw someone wearing them in a visit over the summer. Actually when it comes to clothing Greensville isn't all that bad, amazingly. Now everything else, forget it, because they will catch you in a heartbeat for holding hands!

Jean t7
11-30-2009, 11:53 AM
It is a very different world for people who are there on a volunteer basis, who probably arent going to worry if they can come back

I understand getting in is not nearly as critical as it is for loved ones, and certainly agree about not picking fights with the duty officers. However, I want to say on behalf of us volunteers, we DO care if we can come back or not. If we didn't care, we wouldn't volunteer in the first place. (I won't go into the long struggle I had, and lost, to keep our group going.) That's why I keep emphasizing, err on the side of caution. It doesn't really matter if you're wearing flipflops or army boots, does it? The point is to succeed in getting in to visit.

JR09
12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Question.....

Does anyone know how visiting will work on christmas this year at greensville??? Will the even #s get christmas eve and the odd get christmas day??? Just wondering if any of you VA ladies knew.

Onedaycloser13
12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
the only thing I know is my bf said he thinks they are timing visits, because of the holidays...not sure other than that!

QT2015
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
ODD #'s on xmas day...enjoy your visit everyone :-)

JR09
12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
ODD #'s on xmas day...enjoy your visit everyone :-)

So just the odd #s??? Do the even #s get xmas eve?

Onedaycloser13
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
You know, I was looking at the holidays and the odds get a whole lot...do they even that out somehow?

JR09
12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
You know, I was looking at the holidays and the odds get a whole lot...do they even that out somehow?

I know, i loved it when he was odd lol. But he said that he does get christmas eve, so that way they all get a holiday visit. But you know how that goes, he asks one c.o they tell him one thing, than another tells him something different.

Onedaycloser13
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I am not going during the holidays, I told him that I was not driving for two hours, waiting for an hour visit...since they will probably limit due to the holidays. I will be so angry....Good Luck, and I hope you have a great visit!!

JR09
12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
LOL thanks hun now lets just hope we actually get a visit!!! I think i might have to call.

JR09
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Just thought id tell you ladies that i just realized that considering Valentines Day is on a weekend, the even #s get to visit on valentines day!
:val:

mommaofdavid
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I plan to visit my son at Greensville. I have a 9-hour drive. First time at Greensville. Have heard horror stories..........they make up the rules as they go along; you are searched twice before you get into the visiting room and are searched again if you have to use the bathroom while visiting; and everyone is very rude. Is this all true?

Onedaycloser13
01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know about rude, they have been ok with me. They search you in the beginning, again as soon as you get off the bus on the way into the visiting room, and yes if you go to the bathroom they search you yet again. It is non contact, so you cannot hold hands etc. and he has to sit in a certain place. You are allowed to wear jewelry and bring in one key, and of course be careful of what you wear, but as far as I have seen they will let you change. Enjoy your visit!

JR09
01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I normally go on saturdays, sunday people are a little more strict. They dont tell you crap so im going to give you the run down......
When you fisrt get there go to the table to your right by the vending machines, fill out the 2 papers and the one for minors if you have a minor you only have to fill out the really extensive one just this time, but you have to fill out the shorter on eevery time!
Then go stand in line, give them your paper and i.d and prepare to wait!
Try to get there after 11 am , i say this because if you get there at 10:30 its count time so youll have to wait, and if yoou are there even 5 minutes before count 9 times out of 10 theyll cut you visit short. So go after count so youre not on the morning visit list! When they call his name go stand to the left of the desks and wait to be called into a room, when youre in the room remove your shoes and face the wall they pat you down check you shoes when you leave the room go to your left get you papers off the counter and stand by the big door, when you get through there empty out your pockets, give them your id and paper, and go through the metal detecter, than lay your left hand on the table to get it stamped. than go on outside and wait again for the bus. Make sure you knkow his building # b/c the dont tell you and you need to know where to get off the bus at. The walk through the door on the fence and go straight ahead, when you get in give the person in the window your id and paper they keep your id tell you leave go to the door and if its not open hit the little button on the wall. Then youll be in a room, take your shoes off and prepare for the whole pat down again :rolleyes:, than your in, go to the big counter on your left and give them your paper and wait to get it back, than go find your table b/c most likely he wont be out and while i wait i usually go to the vending machines, he has to sit in the chair at the back of the table facing the front of the room only 3 other people can sit at the table, you are allowed to hold hands or anything, but in s3 as long as youre not being obvious they dont have a problem, and i have never gotten in trouble for touching him casually, youre allowed one hug and kiss at the begining and end of the visit. It really depends on what building your going to and what c.os are working. Some are rude but usually if your polite to them they change their tone. They arent strict on clothes just nothing revealing, i always wear jewelry never had a problem, no watches though, and you can only bring change in a clear bag no pennies, and on key thats it! Enjoy your visit if you want to know anything PM me! And since your 9 hours away i think you can schedule a speacil visit to where the cant cut it short, im not positive though. Ill be going this weekend too :) Make sure you go on the right day for his number!

mommaofdavid
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know about rude, they have been ok with me. They search you in the beginning, again as soon as you get off the bus on the way into the visiting room, and yes if you go to the bathroom they search you yet again. It is non contact, so you cannot hold hands etc. and he has to sit in a certain place. You are allowed to wear jewelry and bring in one key, and of course be careful of what you wear, but as far as I have seen they will let you change. Enjoy your visit!
Thank you so much!:thumbsup:

mommaofdavid
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I normally go on saturdays, sunday people are a little more strict. They dont tell you crap so im going to give you the run down......

When you fisrt get there go to the table to your right by the vending machines, fill out the 2 papers and the one for minors if you have a minor you only have to fill out the really extensive one just this time, but you have to fill out the shorter on eevery time!
Then go stand in line, give them your paper and i.d and prepare to wait!

Try to get there after 11 am , i say this because if you get there at 10:30 its count time so youll have to wait, and if yoou are there even 5 minutes before count 9 times out of 10 theyll cut you visit short. So go after count so youre not on the morning visit list! When they call his name go stand to the left of the desks and wait to be called into a room, when youre in the room remove your shoes and face the wall they pat you down check you shoes when you leave the room go to your left get you papers off the counter and stand by the big door, when you get through there empty out your pockets, give them your id and paper, and go through the metal detecter, than lay your left hand on the table to get it stamped. than go on outside and wait again for the bus. Make sure you knkow his building # b/c the dont tell you and you need to know where to get off the bus at. The walk through the door on the fence and go straight ahead, when you get in give the person in the window your id and paper they keep your id tell you leave go to the door and if its not open hit the little button on the wall. Then youll be in a room, take your shoes off and prepare for the whole pat down again :rolleyes:, than your in, go to the big counter on your left and give them your paper and wait to get it back, than go find your table b/c most likely he wont be out and while i wait i usually go to the vending machines, he has to sit in the chair at the back of the table facing the front of the room only 3 other people can sit at the table, you are allowed to hold hands or anything, but in s3 as long as youre not being obvious they dont have a problem, and i have never gotten in trouble for touching him casually, youre allowed one hug and kiss at the begining and end of the visit. It really depends on what building your going to and what c.os are working. Some are rude but usually if your polite to them they change their tone. They arent strict on clothes just nothing revealing, i always wear jewelry never had a problem, no watches though, and you can only bring change in a clear bag no pennies, and on key thats it! Enjoy your visit if you want to know anything PM me! And since your 9 hours away i think you can schedule a speacil visit to where the cant cut it short, im not positive though. Ill be going this weekend too :) Make sure you go on the right day for his number!

Thank you! His address just has HU9, cell 216. Hope he calls before I leave home so I can find out his building. I called and left messages on his counselor's voice mail, but of course he doesn't return phone calls. David has been at Greensville since they closed Brunswick down. They were really nice at Brunswick and would allow me to see him Sat. and Sun., 6 hours each day. Boy, am I in for a let down!:mad:

JR09
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Thank you! His address just has HU9, cell 216. Hope he calls before I leave home so I can find out his building. I called and left messages on his counselor's voice mail, but of course he doesn't return phone calls. David has been at Greensville since they closed Brunswick down. They were really nice at Brunswick and would allow me to see him Sat. and Sun., 6 hours each day. Boy, am I in for a let down!:mad:

Your Welcome! So hes in housing unit 9, write him and ask him which building, i believe theres only 3 for general pop. Hell either be in s1 s2 s3, seg, or work release. They go by their # even or odd, so if his number is odd than you can only go on the odd weekend day and same for even. If you dont get a hold of him before you go, than im pretty sure they can tell you at the front desk which building b/c sometimes they write it on your paper. They operate like a maximum security prison! Its ridiculous, but i do give them credit that the place is HUGE and houses a lot of men! Right before they transfered the inmates to greensville, they segregated everyone. Like my guys old building now houses mainly sex offenders. So now certain buildings are packed with guys. Youll be lucky to get 4 hours, unless you get lucky and no one is up there. They have all kinds of crazy reasons for turning people away, like he can only have 1 visit a day. It sucks and i cant wait for the day when he goes up for re classification, and gets trandferred!:blah:

Onedaycloser13
01-13-2010, 06:23 AM
I have visited on Saturdays and have gotten 4 or so hours, and get there around 9 or 9:30 in the morning..usually get to around 1 or 2....it really depends on how busy they are!

JR09
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I have visited on Saturdays and have gotten 4 or so hours, and get there around 9 or 9:30 in the morning..usually get to around 1 or 2....it really depends on how busy they are!

I think its the time of year, being that its right after all the holidays more families are going to visit now, the last few weeks it has been PACKED!

mommaofdavid
01-23-2010, 10:11 AM
We visited our son on Saturday at Greensville. Went at 11; took about 45 minutes to arrive at visiting room; got visit cut after 2 hours. Asked to see watch commander; she was very nice and allowed us to come back on Sunday. It was raining cats and dogs when we arrived at 8 a.m. Got into visiting room at 8:35. Not many visitors, so we got to stay until 1 o'clock then had to leave to check out of motel at 2. Paid extra for late check out because traveling with our dog. Everyone was very nice and we enjoyed our visit. Told them at the check in building about telling our dog that we were going to church (so he wouldn't bark while we were away) and one guard said "you'll have to sing JESUS LOVES ME when you get into the visiting room." Our son went up for parole in December. Please help us pray that he will be paroled! Thank you! A bit of advice: on the second and fourth Saturday of each month a bus load of visitors arrive at Greensville; when the bus arrives, you get kicked to the curb.

Onedaycloser13
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info! Glad you got the extra time to visit!

david daughter
06-15-2010, 03:02 AM
does anyone kno if there is a visitation bus that goes down to the prison from washington, dc?

Onedaycloser13
06-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I have heard from Newport news and Hampton I think, but not one from Washington! Not sure though, maybe someone else has more info.

Lovinmk2010
06-18-2010, 04:38 AM
My dad is in Greensville and I wanted to go see him for Fathers Day. The only problem is that I have a felony for a stupid hear say case. Will that stop me from seeing him.:confused:

Onedaycloser13
06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Technically you are not allowed to visit with felonies...however I know someone who does and visits. I think you may get one visit and then if they find out be denied after that. I am not sure however, and sure someone who knows more will come along shortly.

SOON2BMRSD
06-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I know I'm late but I still wanted to let you know... You have to get written permission from the warden.

harasubam
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
ok there is a bus that goes from richmond va. to some of the prisons but i dont know which ones, ive not heard of any from dc. if you call greensville they might be able to give you contact info on the bus that goes there.

harasubam
06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
My dad is in Greensville and I wanted to go see him for Fathers Day. The only problem is that I have a felony for a stupid hear say case. Will that stop me from seeing him.:confused:

you must get permision from the warden to visit if you have a felony. you need to write him explain what the charge was for ,how long its been since charge and also might help to put in a bit about how you have changed since this charge, a your dad.nd how much you need to see
he will evaluate it and reply so you need to tell him you are trying to visit fathersday hopefully he wont drag his feet on it.

if you are to go without permission as some do ,you will risk visits for a very long time if they catch it.

austin51
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Nicole
my son is at greensville too,and yes every prison got different rules and also what you can wear,you can only visit on saturdays or sundays ,8 to 3 but i have even days ,so when i go on a weekend it has to be a even numbers,it all depends on the person building number,also you can bring 20 dollars in change for the snacks machines if they work,most of the time they do not,the best time to visit is be there at 8 am when the doors open,you will be the first one in and sometime you can stay longer than 2 hours,but if it is crowded than you have to leave ,if you come about 11 o or later its shorter visits,i usually get there at 8 and run to the snack machines and hope they are working,my son likes some of there food in it,but on sundays some days they have nothing,also you can bring only your car key in,and a see though bag with quarters in it,when you visit you fill out a paper every time with your car information on it,and wait till your name is called,than a bus will take u to the building.so have a good visit

JR09
08-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey all my greensville people!!!!!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that for some reason (probably just because they feel like it) greensville is really knuckling down on that dress code. I almost got turned away in pants ive worn there numerous times for like the last 2 years. And 3 other girls that i noticed where made to change. So make sure youre on ur Ps and Qs with tha dress code, and have a spare just in case!!! :D

rayswifey28
08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey all my greensville people!!!!!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that for some reason (probably just because they feel like it) greensville is really knuckling down on that dress code. I almost got turned away in pants ive worn there numerous times for like the last 2 years. And 3 other girls that i noticed where made to change. So make sure youre on ur Ps and Qs with tha dress code, and have a spare just in case!!! :D

You must of went there this weekend? My friend and I were there and they tried to make her change her dress and she worn up there before. Needless to say we got lucky because they let her in. They said that I had to pull my shirt up and keep it up. The funny thing is that the shirt I had on was NOT even low cut.:angry: I seen like 5 people have to change. When I got to the VI room one inmate had to go back to his cell because his visitor got turned away because what she had on. I tell you I think it all depends on the CO's who are working hat day.

JR09
08-11-2010, 12:16 AM
You must of went there this weekend? My friend and I were there and they tried to make her change her dress and she worn up there before. Needless to say we got lucky because they let her in. They said that I had to pull my shirt up and keep it up. The funny thing is that the shirt I had on was NOT even low cut.:angry: I seen like 5 people have to change. When I got to the VI room one inmate had to go back to his cell because his visitor got turned away because what she had on. I tell you I think it all depends on the CO's who are working hat day.

Girl ive been goign every weekend for a couple years now, and i have never seen them ride visitors so hard. Mine was telling me that some of the C.Os got in trouble for their "interactions" so to speak with some of the inmates. Apparantley a lot got fired, some are being invetigated, and everyone else is on there A game now. It was ridiculous, i can tell you this they dont want to play that game with me. I will throw that shit right back at them. You arent going to tell me i cant wear something that i have worn for over a year because i thought it was safe just because you say so. I requested to see their captain. And I reccomend anyone else who they try to hassle to do the same!