View Full Version : preparing for 4 years in N.J.

oneup7501
07-27-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm currently counting down time till sept 20th 2004 when i will be senteced in new jersey to 4 years.
from what i understand i will have to start out in the county jail then be transfered to a processing center and eventually end up in a state institution for the remainder of my term.
i am facing the 85% law of the NO EARLY RELEASE ACT eventually doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 years.
i was looking for any and all info on what to expect in the new jersey system or just in any state system.
I'm really glad i found this site, and plan on having my wife keep in touch with all in the very near future.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Phil in Paris
07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi oneup

Welcome to the PTO family :)

I'm sorry I don't have any answers to give you concerning NJ, but I'm glad you found us, you'll find a lot of support and caring people here.

Please, have your wife join us in September, she too will need some support.

All my best wishes and stay strong.
Phil

FriscoLady
07-28-2004, 03:26 AM
Oneup,

Welcome to PTO!

Have you taken a look at the New Jersey Forum? That would be a good place to start.

As Phil stated please have your wife join us, she will need support and there are many wonderful people here that have been on this journey that can help both of you on yours.

Stay strong and God Bless,

Patti

Ben's BabyGirl
07-28-2004, 05:14 AM
Hello Oneup and Welcome to PTO. My man is currently in the system. I can tell you from his experience, well our experience what his process was and it will likely be similar for you. He was in the County for about 5 weeks. Visits were allowed there once a week where he was for 20 minutes and no contact. It was a glass window/telephone type of visit. He was in Camden County and I had to to go up there on Fridays to make an apointment for his visit, which is done in some alphabetical or other order, so his visits were either Monday or Wednesday. I could also leave money for him on the Friday or the day of the visit. This was not bad. Then after 5 weeks or so he went to CRAF - Central Reception and Assignment Facility in Trenton. I thought this was the worst place...they have to wait until they are assigned a pin number, which in his case only took about 5 days (I say only, some take longer). NO VISITS ARE ALLOWED. He was there for about 6 weeks and while there went through classification...testing of all sorts (medical/blood, met with a social worker). He was asked if he wanted to go through a drug program and he told them yes. Nothing ever came of that. He was sent to Bayside whichi is the worst prison...about 2 hours from home and they have visits only on Saturday and Sunday. I can only visit one day, not both consecutively. Visits are about 2 1/2 hours long. He had to fill out a form for the prision to have me on the visit list and I got a leter from the prison about the actual visits, what time to be there for registration, what to bring, etc. First visit there, I was denied a visit because I wore an underwire bra. His nephew was with me and he was denied a visit because his identification was from his old address in DE, not his current address. All after driving 2 hours. They don't care and they aim to discourage you so you won't come back. But, they cannot and will not deter me.

Oh, money orders can be left for you or sent to you. Only $100 or less or else it takes over a month to be processed. They order from the commissary and some things cost aws much as it does on the street. My man orders snacks and juices and stuff at about $30 per month. He works and makes like $3 a day...most jobs make $2 a day in prison.

Hopes this helps.

oneup7501
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello Oneup and Welcome to PTO. My man is currently in the system. I can tell you from his experience, well our experience what his process was and it will likely be similar for you. He was in the County for about 5 weeks. Visits were allowed there once a week where he was for 20 minutes and no contact. It was a glass window/telephone type of visit. He was in Camden County and I had to to go up there on Fridays to make an apointment for his visit, which is done in some alphabetical or other order, so his visits were either Monday or Wednesday. I could also leave money for him on the Friday or the day of the visit. This was not bad. Then after 5 weeks or so he went to CRAF - Central Reception and Assignment Facility in Trenton. I thought this was the worst place...they have to wait until they are assigned a pin number, which in his case only took about 5 days (I say only, some take longer). NO VISITS ARE ALLOWED. He was there for about 6 weeks and while there went through classification...testing of all sorts (medical/blood, met with a social worker). He was asked if he wanted to go through a drug program and he told them yes. Nothing ever came of that. He was sent to Bayside whichi is the worst prison...about 2 hours from home and they have visits only on Saturday and Sunday. I can only visit one day, not both consecutively. Visits are about 2 1/2 hours long. He had to fill out a form for the prision to have me on the visit list and I got a leter from the prison about the actual visits, what time to be there for registration, what to bring, etc. First visit there, I was denied a visit because I wore an underwire bra. His nephew was with me and he was denied a visit because his identification was from his old address in DE, not his current address. All after driving 2 hours. They don't care and they aim to discourage you so you won't come back. But, they cannot and will not deter me.

Oh, money orders can be left for you or sent to you. Only $100 or less or else it takes over a month to be processed. They order from the commissary and some things cost aws much as it does on the street. My man orders snacks and juices and stuff at about $30 per month. He works and makes like $3 a day...most jobs make $2 a day in prison.

Hopes this helps.

BEN'S BABYGIRL,

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT, IT DOES HELP!
If you or anyone else has any further info on how life is like on the inside
(i.e) fights,C.O.'s,grouping of inmates in cells,educational facilities, weight rooms,jobs, it would be a big help. Like anyone in my situation I'm pretty dam scared of the unknown, and any knowledge will help greatly.

thank you to all at PTO

KP Wifey
07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
hello and welcome....... sorry to hear about what's going on with you i hope all works out for you and your family. remember to tell your family to stay in contact with PTO. Be Blessed

mlle_keiko
07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
BEN'S BABYGIRL,

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT, IT DOES HELP!
If you or anyone else has any further info on how life is like on the inside
(i.e) fights,C.O.'s,grouping of inmates in cells,educational facilities, weight rooms,jobs, it would be a big help. Like anyone in my situation I'm pretty dam scared of the unknown, and any knowledge will help greatly.

thank you to all at PTO

as for college classes the cut off age is 27....to take votech classes...well you take an aptatue test and they see what your education level is...it all depend son the prison that you are going to do your time in..regarding the jobs, classes, programs...etc...my hubby only makes 1.40/day for his job...it all depends...also with the classes/programs...for the most part there is a long waiting list to get into them...CO's are people you have your good ones and then you have your bad ones...can't really generalize about that...it will all depend on what happens when you got to classifications at CRAF and your age, what you did...etc...i do know one thing that regardless...since you are a 85%...that you won't make FULL min status until you have 50% of your sentence done...my hubby only has 3 points, but since he has an a override on that due to mandtatory min...he has to wait until he does 1/2 of his sentence to be eligiable for full min status..right now he is medium status...visits are different for every prison...we were lucky and my hubby requested hardship and he is only 25 miles from me which is about a 45 min ride. There really isn't much that we can say because we don't know any specifics and it's the NJDOC we're talking about, so they do things in their own sweet time...that's what sucks...the unknown...but it seems like everything with the NJDOC is on a need to know basis.

mlle_keiko
07-28-2004, 07:34 PM
about visiting rules and such...for when you finally get to your "home" prison...they have all of that in the handbook that you're receive from the prison...when you get that..mail it home to your wife and also ask around to other guys who have visits to get the general rules of what can and can't be worn, the kind of id they need....etc...it really helps.