View Full Version : First time in prison doing self surrender

Oldassmama
10-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Hello! I will be self surrendering in a few months and I requested Bryan since that will be the closest to my friend who will be taking custody of my children. I wanted to know if Bryan has a CDL program? And I noticed some people said they took classes at Texas A & M? What classes and are you able to get a degree? And also I wear 30 day contacts where I leave them in for 30 days at a time. Are those allowed? Any information on programs or any information at all would be helpful! Thank you so much!

fbopnomore
10-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Welcome to Prison Talk. How long is your sentence? I hope someone who uses contact lenses will tell you if they are a possibility in federal prison. My experience was having to wait over 6 months to receive one pair of prison eyeglasses, Buddy Holly style.

Outside educational classes are possible. You will need to convince someone in education or your unit team to act as your staff contact with the school. Another problem is zero computer access, so any courses you take will have to be handled on paper, through the US Mail. Ask the education department if your prison has an approved provider for inmates, and also if they have a CDL program there. You will probably have to pay the entire cost yourself.

Patient2
10-22-2016, 07:48 AM
I left in 2010, so things may have changed. As far as classes available, there were some college level classes offered, but no degree program, and definitely no CDL program. Cosmetology offered the only program that led to a certificate. And definitely no contacts, so prepare to go in with prescription glasses, plain frames. If you have pierced ears, wear one set of plain hoops. (I wore studs, and then lost one of the backs so had to use a pencil eraser for a while, until I bought some hoops at Commissary!) Also, you should know that Visitation is very family friendly. There are no bars or "prison-y" things to indicate anything other than a college campus. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck to you and your family.