View Full Version : FrogLady ~ Current resident of FPC Bryan

FrogLady
07-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Sentencing was last week, surrender date is August 9. Don't know where. My biggest frustration with all this has been the inability to get any "real answers". I guess that is the true nature of the federal government. Everything seems to be prefaced with "maybe" or appended with "or not". I just want to get on with it and get my time done, so I can go back to living instead of existing.

One question for those of you who have been there...how on earth do you obtain employment afterwards when you are not allowed to work in any capacity in the field for which you are educated, trained and experienced? Not that I don't have other talents...just wondering how to approach the situation so I can plan for it during my "timeout".

Thanks to all,

Cathy

cjjack
07-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Cathy, I spent four years in the federal system. Thankfully, I have had no trouble with employment since I have been out. I had a pretty decent resume prepared while I was inside. I have found that on any job interview, honesty is the best policy. If you lie on your application about your felon status and the company finds out later you woould most likely be terminated. They will respect your honesty more I have found. I work for a very large company and I was completely honest with them from the beginning. I am not treated any differently that any other employee.

If you look in the "Success Stories" forum, I have posted some job interview tips.

I know that what you are going through is frustrating. If we can answer any questions for you, please let us know!!

FrogLady
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks, I took a look at the forum as you suggested. I guess my real question is that I have a fairly impressive resume, but I can no longer work in the same profession. Will I get help "translating" my abilities and experience to fit into a different field? Should I be honest and say that I am prohibited from any employment in the field I have worked for the last 25 years? All this may be needless worry on my part, but I guess I have to worry about something. I have some ideas on self-employment when I get out, but I know that will be a slow start type thing, and I have restitution payments to be made in the meantime.

Thanks for your help!

kintml2u
07-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Cathy

Just want to extend a warm (late) welcome here! I'm sorry the feds feel you need a stay at there resorts...we don't wish it on no one around here. Yet...we all understand to a degree. Glad you have joined us under the circumstances and hope we will be able to offer some help and support!

Diane

Caution
07-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Don't expect any real job placement help from the feds. do the diligence yourself. If you have a decent resume just focus on it. One thing to say to prospective employers is that you have deceided to make a career change as a result of your conviction. As someone who is a part of the hiring process where I work I often interview people who have impressive resumes that are not obviously applicable to the job they are applying for. People change careers all the time. A resume can be targetted to a specific career opportunity. Focus on the job skills learned in the previous profession which are globally applicable while still highlighting career successes. Trust me, you'll be fine. There are jobs out there and while you may be required initially to accept a job you consider beneath you, after having been in prison it'll still be a breath of fresh air and you just work towards whatever new career path you choose.

jft
07-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Cathy -

When you say "not allowed to work in that field" , those terms can be vague. If your crime is a financial one, you are not allowed to have fiduciary responsibility, basically meaning you can't make decisions regarding money or handle money in your job. This doesn't prevent you from working in an accounting position say where you prepare financial statements for review, accounts receivable positions etc. As long as you are not the one spending, you are ok (per hubby's probation officer) My husband was the CFO of a corporation when he committed his crime. He works for the same company that I do now and no longer is an accountant here but he does do job costing, bidding etc. He also does the human resources. He cannot do anything with "fiduciary responsibility" for three years post release or during his probation period.