View Full Version : Is their family supportive?

babieboo
07-14-2004, 01:46 PM
I know over time people just seem to disappear in our men or womens life who have been gone a long time. Is your loved one's family members supportive or have they drifted away and abandoned them?

mrsford
07-14-2004, 02:18 PM
My husband's brothers act like they could care less. The only time they ever wanted to see him was for him to give them money anyway. He has aunts, cousins, uncles and lots of friends who inquire about him on a daily basis. Several of his aunts and cousins keep in touch with me and are continually asking if there is something I need or want or if there is something he needs. Many of them write to him. I think it is so sad his brothers act like this because he has always done for them, and he is so family oriented. But...once he comes home, they will flock around again. Only now he says if they want money he "is sorry about their luck". It makes me proud when even our neighbors ask how he is doing and hope he comes home soon. He is just that kind of guy!

PIMAKAT
07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
He calls his mother a couple times a month. She's great about sending him quarterly packages and ocassionally sends money or stamps. Besides her, he never really hears from anyone. It makes me sad for him but in a way it's for the best -- TOO much drama and bickering among his family!!

Willsgirl
07-14-2004, 04:16 PM
His mom is the reason he has made it as long as he has. She writes every week and visits at least once a month, her and his dad, Sometimes she goes with me, when she doesnt have church things going on. He is close with his dad and little brother, but you know how men are, for some reason they dont like to write, so me and his mom passes messages between them.

Anthony'sWife
07-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Its sad but his family really isnt that supportive, His mom and dad send him money but not before his sister dips into it first, his brothers are always in and out them selves, you would think that they would learn from him he has been down for 8 years, he has 17 more to go before he sees the board, he hasnt seen his mother since he got locked up, I try to keep in touch but its hard, they are complete strangers to me in a sense and I feel so bad for my husband.:cry:

jeffsprincess
07-14-2004, 10:09 PM
JEFFS FAMILY ABANDONED HIM SINCE BIRTH. THE ONLY ONE THAT CARES ABOUT HIM AT ALL IS HIS GRANDMOTHER. BUT SHE IS AN OLD LADY AND SHE IS SO OBLIVIOUS TO WHERE HE IS. WHEN HE TALK TO HER SHE ASKS IF THEY TAKE HIM TO THE BEACH TO SURF, LIKE A FIELD TRIP, BECAUSE SHE THINKS ITS A GOOD IDEA FOR HIM TO SURF AND SWIM, BECAUSE HE LOVES TO SURF. SHE ALSO ASKS HIM BABY WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME??? IF YOUR REALLY GOOD ILL PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR YOU SHE TELLS HIM!!!!! HE SAYS GRANDMA WHEN THEY SENTENCED ME TO 23-LIFE THEY MEANT IT!!! SHES KINDA LOST IT. BUT HIS OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS WERE NEVER AROUND FOR HIM BEFORE AND THEY DEFINETELY ARENT AROUND NOW.

bunnyrun5
07-15-2004, 01:32 PM
My Hubbie's famliy is full of crap. They abandoned him immediately. That's cool because, I don't have to consider anyone when it comes down to visitation. It's just Hubbie, the baby and I in this situation. And I hate to admit it but I am tired from time to time. I hang in there because I know he needs me and I love him. This is no damn picnic for me I tell ya.

chintath
07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Most of my penpals have very little family support. They are all Native American and live in poverty on reservations. I think most feel they would be a burden to their relatives or are the black sheep of the family and don't write or call. I did convince one to contact his family and that has been a good thing--he was surprised they were glad to hear from him. When they once put him on the phone to his little neice and nephew, he was thrilled.

jasonsmyhoney
07-15-2004, 11:37 PM
They Are Not As Suportive As I Believe They Could Be. I Truly Believed That God Blessed Him With Me Because I Am Very Supportive And Ease A Lot Of The Lonliness. Jason Always Tells Me That I Am His Family And I Make The Time Hes Serving So Much Easier To Deal With.

qwerty
07-16-2004, 12:50 AM
His family has mostly been through the prison thing, many times, so they are supportive and he gets letters. But so many family and friends are on probation, they're not allowed to visit. He tries to be tough, but I know it hurts. Sad....

rosita
07-16-2004, 01:19 AM
My husband's family are dysfunctional, ignorant, illiterate, and hostile. They have really done a number on him. He is the best one that ever came out of that family. So they have no room to be judging him. They are openly hostile to me. Did I mention they are also have racist attitudes? Its all very sad. He is better off without them.

mlsmit7
07-16-2004, 01:57 AM
He has been in for 8 years, he lost his mom almost two years ago which was so hard for him. The rest of his family is so supportive (his son lives with his sister and her husband)all except the brother he covered for which caused him to get a longer prison term...that brother has never bothered to keep in cantact with him. Family support is very important...I feel so badly for the ones who don't have that kind of support.

itzmydestiny
07-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Thank GOD my man has a very supportive family . His mother comes to visit every other weekend. I see him every weekend. And he talks to his father every week. I agree with everyone here family support is very important.

mamawen
07-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Ha! Can I laugh? Supportive? Man, ALL his people left him in prison to rot...AFTER they took what they could get out of him of course. They did him dirty. His mom and bro live only one hour away from the prison. I live a good 3 hours away and they have not gone there ONCE! Not ONCE...can you believe that? Do you know how much easier MY life would be if just one person in his family shared this with me? Gosh, I get so envious of those of you who have support. And what makes me sick is that a lot of these guys get out, and then everyone is all, "oh we missed you", and our guys are so happy to have them back into their lives that they are just forgiven. Man, I don't get that. But...I'm not as nice as my is either. :) :)

Wendy

shell021001
07-21-2004, 04:25 PM
It is just me, my hubby and my girls...His brothers don't really care...his oldest brother has visited 3 times in a year and a half, and his middle brother has written twice. My daughter and I are in daily contact with him, his friends ask me how he is doing when I see them, and as I work in retail I see them quite a bit. My family checks on him every day thru me, my mom and sisters write him.

It's hard not having the support of his family as they are closest to me in distance. My family is all 2 hours away from me, where as his family live 15 and 25 minutes from me respectively...

Thank goodness for my daughter and my online support group...they have been my lifeline in the last year!

Michelle