View Full Version : Best Massachusetts Probation/Parole Lawyer?

ohrats9
08-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Hello to all. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I am trying to find the best parole/probation lawyer. I'm hoping someone here can help me and my SO as I have no idea what I am doing, or where to start my search. I'm hoping someone here will know?

My SO is about to be released from Shirley Medium (January) and as much as we are excited, he would like to have all his ducks in a row when it comes to going up against the parole board. He has worked hard and has graduated every program possible, is in a single cell, has a job and a mentor status, has recently passed a random drug test (which is the usual) and has not had any tickets in years. His points are low (3). He feels with the right lawyer helping him put his package together for the big day he'll have a better chance. Shirley is trying to make him go to a 6 month program even though he has done his time, and he would like to avoid that if possible and just come home.

Once out he has a safe, stable, sober, permanent home to live in, his union job lined up and ready to take him back, transportation to begin with and then his own vehicle once his license is reinstated. In so many words, he will need nothing aside from health care once he is home.

Does anyone know the best lawyer for this kind of thing? We just want him to come home and begin the healing process so we can have our lives back.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks so much, you guys!

jalb1223
08-15-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm a little confused because you said he's coming home in January but you're looking for a parole lawyer. So is he maxing out in January or is he up for parole in January?

Hello to all. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I am trying to find the best parole/probation lawyer. I'm hoping someone here can help me and my SO as I have no idea what I am doing, or where to start my search. I'm hoping someone here will know?

My SO is about to be released from Shirley Medium (January) and as much as we are excited, he would like to have all his ducks in a row when it comes to going up against the parole board. He has worked hard and has graduated every program possible, is in a single cell, has a job and a mentor status, has recently passed a random drug test (which is the usual) and has not had any tickets in years. His points are low (3). He feels with the right lawyer helping him put his package together for the big day he'll have a better chance. Shirley is trying to make him go to a 6 month program even though he has done his time, and he would like to avoid that if possible and just come home.

Once out he has a safe, stable, sober, permanent home to live in, his union job lined up and ready to take him back, transportation to begin with and then his own vehicle once his license is reinstated. In so many words, he will need nothing aside from health care once he is home.

Does anyone know the best lawyer for this kind of thing? We just want him to come home and begin the healing process so we can have our lives back.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks so much, you guys!

jalb1223
08-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Also, if he has only 3 points, why is he not in a minimum?

shs76
08-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Ohrats, I sent you a private message about our attorney.

ohrats9
08-17-2015, 08:34 AM
He was denied parole a while back, and is appearing before the board again shortly. He is supposed to be done in January due to completing so many programs and doing so well, but they are trying to make him go to a 6 month program instead of simply coming home. We are trying to make it so that does not happen.

As for the 3 points, I have no idea why he isn't in a minimum. He was moved to a minimum a while back, but some new tattoos earned him enough points that he was moved to a medium.

I'm sorry if anything I say is confusing. I don't know how any of this works to be honest. I just know he needs a parole/probation lawyer who is good at what they do, to help him put together what he will need for when he goes up against the board. Does that make more sense?

Thanks for your patience.

I'm a little confused because you said he's coming home in January but you're looking for a parole lawyer. So is he maxing out in January or is he up for parole in January?

pretzellogic79
08-17-2015, 10:09 AM
If the 6 month program is a condition of his parole, he's probably just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. You have to ask yourself, assuming you're the one that would be financing an attorney, is a 6 month delay in him coming home really worth the thousands you would spend on a parole/probation attorney? I have a LO that is doing a program in a min. now as a condition of his parole and I can tell you they normally kick them home before the 6 months is up. Mine was told he will probably be home in 90-120 days vs. 180.

Just my opinion, but there are SO many things you could save the money for to help you both vs. wasting it on what is probably a foregone conclusion (doing the program anyway).

jalb1223
08-17-2015, 11:29 AM
I have to agree with the above poster who said to save your money. If they are recommending that he do a 6 month program, parole will almost always go with their recommendation. There isn't really anything a lawyer could do about that. I also recommend that you save the lawyer money for things he will need when he comes home. My guy was in a minimum in Massachusetts when he saw parole and they recommended he do a program and then he will be released on parole. He did the program and he got out. I am very familiar with the Massachusetts parole process so just private message me if you need help.

ohrats9
08-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Okay, thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your schedules to help me.

I will talk to him with this new found advice and see what he has to say. It's less the money and more what he would like to do, and what gives him confidence. He's not worried about the program, but if it can be avoided why not try?

Thanks again you guys!

pretzellogic79
08-18-2015, 12:30 PM
You're welcome and good luck. I understand where he's coming from, but to answer your rhetorical question, the reason I wouldn't try is because he is fighting an uphill battle that he is 99.99% most likely going to lose and throwing good money after bad because the parole board is going to do what the parole board is going to do.

I would take that money and invest it in his/your future, not a long shot at coming home in what wouldn't most likely even be 6 months earlier. I get it...my LO as well is singularly focused on just getting the hell out and would have thrown a Hail Mary if he had one to throw, but as the outmate, I would suggest to you to help him broaden his view to a more macro one to see 6 months isn't so long in the grand scheme of things.