View Full Version : Was sentenced today/Updated

Twoods196
07-14-2015, 02:08 PM
So my sentencing was today an I feel like the judge was very lenient towards me. It is a white collar crime and my guidelines were showing 27-33 months. The verdict was 6 months in a halfway house. Everyone I talked to says this is rare as most people go here when leaving prison. Looks the halfway house I will be at is in Oxford ms. Can anyone give me more information on these CCC/halfway house. Also your thoughts on my sentence! Thanks

fbopnomore
07-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Great sentence, congratulations. I don't know anything about that HWH, but the one I was in had even more silly rules than the bop did, and they were extremely petty about enforcing them. The HWH employees were paid very little, so that was apparent in the quality of the people who did work there.

You are in the custody of the bop in the HWH, so the punishment for rule violations is usually a quick trip to prison. Ask your lawyer.

bellisq
07-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Great outcome, did your lawyers ask for a variance?

If you don't find the information you want on the Federal site, you might also post your question on the PTO MS State site. Sometimes folks have broad experience. You also might ask your lawyer if you can also spend part of your time on house arrest.

Twoods196
07-14-2015, 02:55 PM
One thing that the PO did mention was that the hwh was overflowing as there letting aloof nonviolent offenders out. He said it could be a possibility they put me on HA as there is other people that actually need my spot. There was no variances it all came down to the judge. She was known for being lenient on first time offenders an lawyer actually thought I was gonna get HA. I'm grateful for what I got though

fbopnomore
07-14-2015, 06:43 PM
If you had been sentenced to home confinement by the judge, it would have been monitored by US Probation. "Residents", you won't even be an inmate or a prisoner, can be sent to live on home confinement by the HWH and the bop community corrections manager, CCM. If that happens, it will be monitored by the HWH staff.

I have no idea how any of that would work if HWH overcrowding caused it. My experience was if the HWH didn't have a bed available, they would tell the bop not to send them. It will probably need to be worked out between your lawyer, the prosecutor and the judge.

joboandfbop
07-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Some of this advice is not correct. I also faced the same sentence and was very fortunate to get a Judge who could see my true character. I was sentenced to probation and served 6 mo. in a HWH followed by 1 yr on HA. When you are in HWH you are NOT under BOP custody; you are under Probation supervision with the HWH responsible for your custody. Therefore do not be surprised when you find different rules are applying to those that got out of prison because they are still under BOP custody. In addition when you are released to HA you are NOT monitored by the HWH staff any longer, you are monitored by your PO who will do so with electronic monitoring and surprise visits. This is unlike those that served time in Prison and are still under BOP custody. Another difference is a BOP person can get released from HWH to HA early vs a Probation person will have to serve the full term since that is what was ordered by the Judge.

fbopnomore
07-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Unusual sentences may result in different circumstances. 99.9% of people in half way houses are in bop custody until their end of sentence date. If you were sentenced to probation only, no prison time, I have no idea if that would change your status in the HWH or not. Did you still have to pay 25% of your gross pay to the HWH (for my knowledge base only)?

When I was in a HWH to serve the last part of my prison sentence, it was supervised by the HWH staff, not by US Probation. In fact I called my eventual PO, but was told I was not assigned to their caseload until my release from bop custody. The US Probation office does supervise some people who were sentenced to probation or home confinement only, but in the grand scheme of federal sentences, that is highly unusual.

joboandfbop
07-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes I had to pay 25% just like BOP custody (or I could choose not to and not get any passes just like others). The 99.9% with all due respect is way too high, there were others with me same circumstance you may just not have been as exposed to it during your say. Yes that would make sense for you to be under HWH supervision because you did time in prison but again that is not true for Probation residents (I know since I lived it). The PO determines everything for Probation residents....job release, release date, etc. (I even remember my case mgr telling me this in our first meeting)....day to day though is supervised by HWH. Definitely quirky differences but not as unusual as you think.

Twoods196
07-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Yes I had to pay 25% just like BOP custody (or I could choose not to and not get any passes just like others). The 99.9% with all due respect is way too high, there were others with me same circumstance you may just not have been as exposed to it during your say. Yes that would make sense for you to be under HWH supervision because you did time in prison but again that is not true for Probation residents (I know since I lived it). The PO determines everything for Probation residents....job release, release date, etc. (I even remember my case mgr telling me this in our first meeting)....day to day though is supervised by HWH. Definitely quirky differences but not as unusual as you think.

What kind of passes do you get? Also is there a limit on the 25%. I'm a computer programmer an make decent money. 25% would take a good chunk of change. You mentioned since I was sentenced to that there is possible way of HA? I didn't get any HA after my 6 months of hwh. Also how was the hwh you were at? Did you make any friends or just keep to yourself ? Thanks for the info

Twoods196
07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Unusual sentences may result in different circumstances. 99.9% of people in half way houses are in bop custody until their end of sentence date. If you were sentenced to probation only, no prison time, I have no idea if that would change your status in the HWH or not. Did you still have to pay 25% of your gross pay to the HWH (for my knowledge base only)?

When I was in a HWH to serve the last part of my prison sentence, it was supervised by the HWH staff, not by US Probation. In fact I called my eventual PO, but was told I was not assigned to their caseload until my release from bop custody. The US Probation office does supervise some people who were sentenced to probation or home confinement only, but in the grand scheme of federal sentences, that is highly unusual.

You mentioned you didn't get assigned a PO until your release from hwh. I was assigned one in my local area today before I even report to the hwh. PO seems really laid back an sounds like a nice guy. Been trying to get in touch with him since I got sentenced. Said don't worry bout it an he will try to work in a home visit within a week or two. He also confirmed what the other PO told me an that they were swamped right now. Hopefully this plays in my favor an they just don't push back the time I start reporting to the hwh. Thanks for all the info

fbopnomore
07-20-2015, 07:20 PM
A PO conducted my "home inspection visit" while I was still in prison, months before I went to the HWH. That approval did two things; I was already approved for home confinement when the HWH and the bop CCM decided to allow it, but more importantly it approved my residence for when I was released from bop custody. HWH's are private businesses, and some members have said that their HWH also did their own home visit, but the one I was in just accepted the PO's determination.

I imagine the same thing is true with POs and US Probation office policies. If you are assigned a PO while you are in the HWH, or they will talk to you there, that's a good way to get answers to all of your release questions. My PO wouldn't, so I had to wait awhile for mine, but I did eventually get them answered.

One more possible consideration is if you are requesting a change of release location from where you were sentenced (I did). The receiving US probation office has to approve the transfer ahead of time so you will go to a HWH near where you will be released instead of a HWH in the judicial district where your case was decided.

joboandfbop
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM
What kind of passes do you get? Also is there a limit on the 25%. I'm a computer programmer an make decent money. 25% would take a good chunk of change. You mentioned since I was sentenced to that there is possible way of HA? I didn't get any HA after my 6 months of hwh. Also how was the hwh you were at? Did you make any friends or just keep to yourself ? Thanks for the info

I made sure before I started my HWH stay that I had 2 jobs which covered 7 days a week (and did so for 6 months) so the first pass I needed was work passes which were approved within 3 days of my stay. Later (3 or 4 months) I got weekly 2 night passes to stay at home which really helped. The key is to have a job and make the subsistence payments. Yes there is a limit on the 25%. What I meant was if you were sentenced to Probation and one of the conditions is having to serve xx months in a HWH you will not get early release or home confinement like you will observe others DO get that served prison time since BOP rules are different. The HWH was lousy...I knew many guys who said they would have much rather served out the remainder of their sentence in prison and some wanted to go back to prison. It did suck..I sure do not want to go back. Yes I made friends with many but they don't last long since they come and go all the time for all kinds of reasons plus once released you are not allowed to contact other felons while on probation or supervised release so you quickly lose track of each other. Again, best strategy is have a full time job plus even a part time job to stay out as much as possible.

Twoods196
07-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Thank you for the information. I do have a job at the moment. I work from home as a computer programmer. Not sure if that's gonna be a issue or not. Time will tell

fbopnomore
07-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Approval for your job will need to come from whoever is supervising you at the time. HWH counselor? PO ? and it can change when they do.

joboandfbop
07-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Thank you for the information. I do have a job at the moment. I work from home as a computer programmer. Not sure if that's gonna be a issue or not. Time will tell

Pretty sure that will be an issue. I would suggest renting out a small office and start working from there so you have an alternate place of employment.

Twoods196
08-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Just a little update for anyone interested. My PO came by my house last week an took an tour an asked questions. He gave me a call a couple days later an is writing the judge to ask for my sentence to be changed. In my current situation with my kid an working from home a hwh just doesn't make much sense. He has also stated that it will be well into 2016 before I can get into a hwh. Hoping the judge changes it so I can serve my time on home continent.

Twoods196
10-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Update for anyone interested: he sent my request to the judge that sentenced me about 8 hrs away. She denied the request which he said made no sense. So he asked for it to be moved to our district which was approved. Then he reapplied with the judge in this district an the judge approved it. I started my 6 months of house arrest today. So thankful for a great PO!!

fbopnomore
10-21-2015, 05:11 PM
More good news, congratulations again. Do not take your 6 months of house arrest lightly, be sure follow every rule you are given whether they "make sense" or not. That way you can be confidant that the entire mess will be totally finished in 6 months.

Twoods196
10-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Oh I will be following everything to a T. My only concern is the range on this. It's a BI homeguard 206 ds. The PO said they don't know the range. So I'm just scared I'm going to go into a room of my house an set it off. Anyone familiar with the range on these?

fbopnomore
10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
I don't know about that specific monitor. What does your PO say about it? The one I had was supposed to have a 500 foot range, so I even cut the grass without it alarming. You could also check with the manufacturer, but the construction of your house/apartment will be a factor too.

Twoods196
10-24-2015, 07:01 PM
PO claims there not sure. I wonder if the range indicator on the base unit changes color when u reach the limit. Read online it does but don't wanna test an it really doesn't an I set it off. Just sucks not knowing my range lol

OnNoAccount
10-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Had a pre-trial violation before & I tested mine on days I was authorized leave (medical appointments, attorney visits & court hearings). The light will turn amber when you are close to being out of range and red when you are out of bounds totally. I had someone on the phone in the room with my BI home guard box and I would walk slow while on the cell with them as they told me when the lights changed colors so I would know my boundaries. I also added an extremely long extension cord and an extremely long telephone cords so I could move my box even outside the garage so I could take walks. The POs always say they don't know the range but based on my research I concluded that they actually can set the range in the system since its via a BI website which they login to that they use to input schedules and stuff for approved leave.

Twoods196
10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Doubt I do the extension cord thing as well I'm grateful for what I got an don't wanna get in anymore trouble. I do have a permission to go to my sons dr appointment tomorrow. I will prob check the range then. Thanks for the info!!

Also mine uses cell phone. Cuts out the requirement for a land line.

Twoods196
10-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Tested range today. Range light indicator never changed colors. It's very dim lit an I even go in vehicle at one point while wife watched it an nothing changed. Either the light is broke or it doesn't change when I have permission to leave?

MariaFairmaiden
10-26-2015, 10:43 AM
I can't give you any helpful information but did want to say congrats on the sentence! :)

Daisygirl13
11-04-2015, 08:18 PM
I too got an extremely light sentence. I was charged with 4 things one that would send me away from 10 mandatory minimum and max life.... I was terrified! I was able to take a plea for one of my lesser charges and I was ready to go for 4 years. My lawyer said that was low for a federal sentence and it was not too much to ask to just get probation. He asked I serve 5 years probation, and the judge only sentenced me to 2. So I went from 10 to life in federal prison to 2 yeas probation. I believe that it is because of my age. I was 18 at the time of the crime.. He has a soft spot for young people is what I hear. He believes in the younger people because they are going to be the future. I was very lucky with what he gave me and I am VERY grateful!

Twoods196
11-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Thats awesome Daisy!

Just wanted to post that Ive gotten a few questions about how I was able to get a light sentence. Figured I would answer here for anyone in the future.

So there is nothing I did impaticular that gave me a light sentence. A lot of the factors are your previous criminal history and the JUDGE. I had a public defender, I wrote standard letters to the judge an did everything everyone else does. It all boils down to Your History an your judge (an if there trying to make an example of the crime your doing). So always keep your hope up because anything is possible!