View Full Version : Anyone know about CARSON CITY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY

Smurfete
07-08-2004, 10:42 PM
HI..On March 7th my man was sentenced to 16-40 and is now at Carson City Correctional Facility. I was just curious, does anyone know if this is a good facility? Also, I would like to know...you know how theres security levels 1 2 and 3..well, which one is the most security, and which one is the least? Thanks...please respond..
Smurfette:(

LeaAnn
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
One is the least and five is the highest security level.

mabear
07-09-2004, 12:24 PM
It's one of the better facilities.

StacysWar030
07-09-2004, 05:01 PM
My uncles there and that's really all I know about it. Haven't heard anything bad like some of the other places.

Welcome to PTO.

Stacy

Jacks_Tracy
07-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Jack has been there for nearly two years. They have level I, II and IV. Visiting for level IV is Tues, Thurs and Sat. Level II is Weds, Fri and Sun.

Jack is a level IV - its not too bad, although lately in his unit there has been a lot of violence. The chaplain even got assaulted last week by some muslim inmates. He's back to work, though, and of course those inmates are no longer there. Most of the violence has stemmed from guys owing money to other inmates and not paying up.

Overall it's a decent place. They are pretty strict about the visiting rules, however. Last week, although the officer never commented on it during the visit, he wrote Jack a minor ticket for massaging my neck (it was waiting for him when he got back to the unit). They do have a pretty good education program - GED and a food tech program, where Jack is working as a tutor.

When I drive in I can see that the Level II guys are growing vegetables in a garden, and that is a nice touch. The counselors aren't the greatest from what I understand - just too few for the number of guys. The only real problem we've had is that the warden refuses to move Jack to Level II (his latest score sheet has him scored at a Level I/Level II) and is making him wait until December to ask again.

tilt122
07-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Hello,
lino's been in carson city about a month now. i'v been to see him 3 or 4 times. He says he likes it better there, the guards are alot nicer from what i can tell and he says that theres not alot of drama there because alot of the inmates are older. In the visiting room the inmates (if they ask) can go to the vending machines with you. In bellamy creek they could not leave there seats. lino's level 4. if you need any more info please let me know.

Smurfete
07-12-2004, 11:39 AM
HI AGAIN! Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it....My man's a level 3 as well. I wonder if he knows your man? hehe. Anyways, I'm in North Carolina staying with family for a while. I wish i was back in MIchigan so i could visit him:( It really sucks. THanks again
Smurfette

nayyir
07-26-2004, 02:44 PM
HI..On March 7th my man was sentenced to 16-40 and is now at Carson City Correctional Facility. I was just curious, does anyone know if this is a good facility? Also, I would like to know...you know how theres security levels 1 2 and 3..well, which one is the most security, and which one is the least? Thanks...please respond..
Smurfette:(As a former prisoner of DRF and OTF I can inform you that when I was there the levels were as follows: DRF- level 1, 2, 4 OTF- level 2

there pretty much is no thing as a level 3 facility in the mdoc anymore. It was a pretty laid back facility. Most facilities are laid back unless you bring trouble upon yourself, or lose focus of your final goal as many of us do in the system. It took me 3 flops to realize what was important to me before I did what I had to do to come home. Now I am married and off parole. P.S. Level 4 is the highest there at Carson City Correctional Facility.

Hope that helped,
Nayyir:o

nayyir
07-26-2004, 02:47 PM
One is the least and five is the highest security level.Unless they just changed the level system, the highest level is level 4. I know because I was there in 2002.

nayyir
07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Jack has been there for nearly two years. They have level I, II and IV. Visiting for level IV is Tues, Thurs and Sat. Level II is Weds, Fri and Sun.

Jack is a level IV - its not too bad, although lately in his unit there has been a lot of violence. The chaplain even got assaulted last week by some muslim inmates. He's back to work, though, and of course those inmates are no longer there. Most of the violence has stemmed from guys owing money to other inmates and not paying up.

Overall it's a decent place. They are pretty strict about the visiting rules, however. Last week, although the officer never commented on it during the visit, he wrote Jack a minor ticket for massaging my neck (it was waiting for him when he got back to the unit). They do have a pretty good education program - GED and a food tech program, where Jack is working as a tutor.

Correction those inmates were not "muslims" they were members of the Nation of Islam. They proclaim to be "muslim" however they are no more "muslim" than the KKK is "christian". Islam does not propagate violence except in self defense. We are taught to never be the aggressors.

Nayyir Abdul Basir
(former Prisoner)
(name is my new one, not my commitment)

When I drive in I can see that the Level II guys are growing vegetables in a garden, and that is a nice touch. The counselors aren't the greatest from what I understand - just too few for the number of guys. The only real problem we've had is that the warden refuses to move Jack to Level II (his latest score sheet has him scored at a Level I/Level II) and is making him wait until December to ask again.

MOB'sgirl
07-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Congratulations Nayyir, I'm happy for you and you wife. I can't wait until my baby can post a message like this. He's at Oaks and it's horrible.:mad:

As a former prisoner of DRF and OTF I can inform you that when I was there the levels were as follows: DRF- level 1, 2, 4 OTF- level 2

there pretty much is no thing as a level 3 facility in the mdoc anymore. It was a pretty laid back facility. Most facilities are laid back unless you bring trouble upon yourself, or lose focus of your final goal as many of us do in the system. It took me 3 flops to realize what was important to me before I did what I had to do to come home. Now I am married and off parole. P.S. Level 4 is the highest there at Carson City Correctional Facility.

Hope that helped,
Nayyir:o

snowdancer
08-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Dear Nayyir,

I hope you will come around the forum often and share with us your valuable insights! Welcome to PTO!!!!!

Hugs,

Jodi

MsLynn
08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I went to see my son saturday and i must say it is one of michigan better prison. It is really clean , the guards seem fair and the guys can get up and get their own food. They had game for the adults to play. it was different.......

DJB's Wife
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
My husband is there at the Level II facility. Visting is not limited to certain days, as previously stated. Weekdays is 3:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. and weekends are 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. For the Level II's, their allowed 7 visits a month, but only 2 on the weekend.

I visit two twice a month. It is clean and I have not encountered a problem with any of the staff.

Jacks_Tracy
08-05-2004, 09:58 AM
If they are at DRF, which houses both level II and level IV, visiting days do alternate, with level IV having Tues, Thurs, Sat and level II having Weds, Fri, Sun. Visiting hours there during the week are 3:30 until 10 p.m. and on weekends 8:30 until 9:00 p.m.

However, if they are down the street at Boyer Road Correctional Facility (OTF? Nayyir, help!), which is part of the Carson City complex and houses only level II, then they may not have the alternating days.

october
08-18-2004, 09:49 PM
My husband is at OTF and visiting is everyday. You can have 7 or 8 visits a month. He was next door for awhile but all in all it has been one of the better facilities he has been at. Guards seem to be more in-tune with people skills and from my experience, the Warden's Office will truely look into "situations" that don't measure up. But like most facilities, if you don't try and play them, they won't play you. They seem to take matters into hand and do their best to correct the wrongs.

MsLynn
10-01-2004, 04:04 PM
You all will laugh at me but this is Aaron's girl who wrote this. This is a relly nice prison and it would be nice to share expenses with some one going to carson city. And hey stacy get your a** up here and go with me......haha

Truth Seeker
10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
My penfriend is in Boyer road/Carson city and he was ambushed in the toilet on 24th of August by 2 other inmates and severely beaten down. He had to be sent to an outside hospital. A week before, one of the attackers had wanted to enter the shower area while my friend was not ready yet, and he told him to wait. Apparently, the attacker felt insulted, and recruited someone else to ambush my friend a week later.:(

Abelle

Truth Seeker
10-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Here is a link to Boyer road facility:

http://www.michigan.gov/corrections/1%2C1607%2C7-119-1381_1385-5361--%2C00.html

Abelle

miss s
10-15-2004, 01:56 PM
hello room, i am in west virginia and my boyfriend is in carson city correctional. he is now a level 2. i am planning a visit in late november. i have never been to michigan and am not familiar with the area. i will be traveling with our 2 small children. do you have any recommendtations for a hotel?

DJ'S BABYGIRL
10-15-2004, 03:05 PM
There is an amerihost in Ionia that is nice. it is only about 20 to 30 minutes to carson city from there.

KriSsieBaBie03
02-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Ben is in Carson City Correctional Facilities, I am in Kalamazoo. I haven't heard any bad news about it yet, and the visits are nice, the facility is very clean and organized, but pretty strict when it comes to dress codes!

Trav's Wife
02-22-2005, 07:20 AM
There is a motel in Carson City- Midway Inn. I stayed there this past weekend, it isn't the nicest place I've ever seen but it's a bed and it's close to the facility. The rooms don't have phones in them though. They do have tv's in the rooms with basic cable.The rates are $41 for a single room, and $47 for two adjoining single rooms. Be prepared I stayed in a single room which was connected to another room by the bathroom, but the adjoining room was empty thank God! All-in-all it was a clean decent room and like I said it's really close, about 4 minutes away. Here's the contact information:
Midway Inn
205 E Main Street
Carson City, MI 48811
989-584-2404

Trav's Wife
02-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Also, make sure you let them know you traveled so far because they can't terminate your visit due to over crowding in the visitation room...it's Policy Directive
P.D. 05.03.140
Visits may be terminated based on visiting room overcrowding, if this occurs, the visit which begun first shall be terminated first with the exception of visitors who traveled 400 miles or more round trip. All visitors shall be terminated anytime the siren is sounded and visitors must leave the facility and the grounds immediately.

When I was there on Sat. they asked people to leave and I immediately let them know how far I traveled. You have to have documentation: address on your id. Sunday the guard in the visiting room told my husband he couldn't find this but I had brought a copy and let the front desk know. So they said they made a note of it in the book in the visitation room. But I would bring a copy and keep it in your locker just to be safe anyway! It defintely pays to know the rules because sometimes they try to act like they don't! If you have any more questions just PM me. My husband is in level I though but I'll try to help anyway I can! :)

Truth Seeker
05-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Hello there Carson city visitors: can you tell me how far Carson City is from Detroit or Chicago? And from Grand Rapids? I have no car! But I want to find out which airport is closer or easier located for Carson City.
Thank you,
Abelle

Jacks_Tracy
05-07-2005, 10:56 AM
From Detroit, about 2 1/2 hours; from Chicago I have no idea. You'd be better off by flying into Lansing if you can. It's about 45 minutes from there.

Truth Seeker
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Thank you. Is Lansing near Detroit or so? I am from Europe! I think that is a local airport or so?
Abelle

DENIMBLUE
05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
...Lansing isn't right by Detroit...

See if this map shows Michigan major cities/airports...
(Carson City is north west of Lansing)

http://medc.michigan.org/miinfo/mimaps/imap.asp

Truth Seeker
05-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks Denim!

lady zoner
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Hay all, my randy is also at Carson City/Boyer Rd.(lev.1)
GrandRapids is close too. From GR take us131 N. about 6 miles to 51 E. about 10 Miles to Greenville and continue about 16 miles to blackmere Rd. S. 1/2 mile to Boyer Rd. all together about 45min. I am in muskegon and it takes about an hour and a half from here but I try to make it there about 2 or 3 times a month. If there is anyone from this area wanting to go and needing a ride, PM me and we will set up a date and time. I will be more then happy to share the ride. Besides, I know the need to see your loved one and would be happy to be of any assistance.

Truth Seeker
05-14-2005, 05:13 AM
That is great, Lady Zoner. When I come over from Europe I will probably contact you, but I am afraid now I am a bit lost as to how to get to Grand Rapids from Detroit (int airport). Or, if I stop over on my way to or from Seattle, where my other Lifer friend is. I have a driving licence, but I have not experience driving (we have trains, trams and bicycles here!) and I would not dare to drive there where I have never been!
First I have to save some money!
Abelle

adamzgirl
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
hey, my baby just got there a few months ago, i am very new to this. I am looking for moral support!!!!! it is so hard without him!!!! jean

soontobewife
01-03-2006, 09:55 PM
My fiancee has been in Carson City for almost 2 months. He was just transferred to a non-smoking unit and is much happier. He really has very few complaints - says the CO's are generally reasonable, gets most of his mail (see my comments in the rejected mail thread), the food is tolerable (special Xmas dinner was roast beef hoagies - that's "special"?) and they really try to find work for the guys. There is a large outdoor track for exercise, a Hobby Craft room, a pool table - all the comforts of home - ha! The store orders arrive on time, the ARUM's are helpful - he says the general attitude is "live and let live." I have been told that the visitation room is comfortable, toys for the kids and vending machines for snacks, etc. I hope to make my first visit there this weekend and find out for myself.

DJB's Wife
01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
My husband was at the Boyer Road Facility in Carson City. Of the 4 facilities he's been in, Carson City, was by far, the best for visits.

Hope your visit goes well.

popper
01-17-2006, 11:10 AM
for anyone in prison in carson city michigan . i am looking for Dale Shaw he is from bay city . i was told that he was there. but i dont know for sure. please please let me know .

popper
01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
i am looking for Dale Shaw he is from bay city michigan . i was told that he was there. please if anyone can help me find him let him know i am looking for him . his very best friend deb from the flea market

DJB's Wife
01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
This information can be found at http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2.html.

HisSpecialone
01-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Does anyone know if there is a cab company in Carson City. I couldn't find one when I was looking on the net. I am trying to plan an April Visit to see my sweetie. Am coming from DC. Not even sure if I can get to Carson City by Greyhound. But I am making the plans.

DJB's Wife
01-29-2006, 09:10 AM
There's not a whole lot in Carson City, try Greenville it's bigger and close by.

HisSpecialone
01-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Can someone please direct me to the correct thread to find that info. Since the remodelling I can't find it. Thanks so much

DJB's Wife
01-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Arielle Tours is listed on the Index, under Michigan General Prison Talk.