View Full Version : Parole with no place to go?

12-13-2014, 11:29 PM
My son will be eligible foe parole in April but he will have no place to go I am his Mom and I currently live in Texas and I am not willing to relocate. he wants me to call sober houses for him for when he gets released do they not have case workers for this? I have this huge list of places I found on line some say they only take referrals from caseworkers detoxes ect .. I have no idea where to start! I would hate to see him stuck in there any longer than he has to be but I really don't think I am going to be able to find him a place to live on my own? He is North Darthmouth now ...anyone have any advice he can't be the only one that has needed housing assistance!

12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
If your son has no approved homeplan, he'll be moved to a halfway house that the DOC chooses to send him that has a DOC contract.

However, if you are willing to let him parole there with you, he can apply for Interstate Compact from Massachusetts to Texas. Its a long process with a timeline for filing. Your son should ask his caseworker for the paperwork, and inquire about the process/timeline for filing. If approved, he can come to your place in Texas at release.

Good luck!! Welcome to PTO :)

12-14-2014, 10:42 PM
I have heard some mixed things lately about them ..honestly he is a bit scared go figured he is in jail but more frightened of a half way house ... He is in a drug program in jail ..I was told the interstate transfer takes to long and it would not be easy ..

12-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Just like anything else, some halfway houses are better than others.

If he isn't eligible for parole until April, he has plenty of time to file for Interstate Compact.

12-17-2014, 06:52 AM
So do I file prior? He thought I may have to wait until he actually gets parole

12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
He will have to talk to his counselor/case manager and get the ball rolling. You can't.