View Full Version : I need some advice as soon as possible

06-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi everyone,
I have not been on for a while..due to my recent move to Seattle. I am here now and as you all know that my son 19 yo was sentenced on robbery charges.
He was sent to Fremont in Canyon City, CO he has only been there one month.
When he was a juvenile he had a sexual charge when he was 11 yo (which he took care of and served his time and then some) Of course he has refused to do so, I recieved a call from his girl friend who is in TX and said they have moved him (he had his new celly's wife call her)to let her know where he is. They have moved him due to the fact that he would not go to classes for something he currently was not charged with so they moved him to a more stricker prison... WOW
I had just sent a letter to the warden of the facility he was at which they moved him before they even got the letter. My son had ask me to help him I was not sure how I was to do this so I decided to write the warden and give them some information of the treatment he had already completed. I am so angry his girlfriend was going to see him over the 4th weekend and now she can't. The celly's wife say they are very strick and hard to deal with.

My plea.... does anyone have any ideas? and/or know what I need to do for him. How can I help him. He also stated that they would take his good time away for not compying with treatment can they really do this?

Please pm me I don't have my own computer set up yet but will go to the library everyday to check for any responses.

Thank you,

brokenheart...aka steven's mom

06-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Even if they have him in the wrong class, he needs to cooperate with them until it gets straightened out thru the proper channels.

Its their house and he has to follow thier rules, he can't go around refusing directives even if it isn't right. If they are wrong then he needs to go to his counselor or follow the procedure set up for that prison to file a grievence.

There's some things Mom can't fix, he has to do it himself, but now that he has refused to attend the class and has been moved its probably too late and he will have to accept the consequences.

I'm sorry for being so blunt. Hopefully he realizes what he has to do and doesn't refuse again.


06-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Unless you have a lot of money to spend on good lawyers I would agree with Mrs D. He has to go along with the program or they will take away his gain time. I am sure you both know life isnt always fair.It doesnt pay to rile the system over taking a class. Save your energy for the big fights.

07-01-2004, 04:50 PM
For now it would be best if your son just took the class. I am not sure how the rules work out there but when my son first went to prison he was incorrectly classified and sent to a LEVEL V prison. He appealed in in writing, had a hearing and was correctly classified as a LEVEL I. (least secure).

For now he should just take the class and appeal being sent to a stricter prison. Let us know what happens and good luck.


07-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Well if it is a sex offender class, he may as well hang a shank me sign on his back. Especially in a stricter prison. I dont know what to tell you hon. I know my hunny wont go to his so classes for the exact same reason. But they dont force him to go where he is at. Hang in there and keep calling his counselor to see if you cant get it straightened out!

07-03-2004, 08:53 PM
If nothing else to keep him safe he can always go into protective cust. This is a hard way to do time but if they label him a S/O he may have to do it for a safety reason
Keep calling e/mail letters and keep a file !! Take notes when you call and who you speak with. I like to email so I have a copy of whats being said!! But for the most part like the say it's there house and you'll have to play by there rules or you may get a write up which makes things worst!!!! and time LONGER Good Luck MOM your in my prayers

07-05-2004, 05:32 AM
brokenheart, I agree with everyone else. he should just take the classes because they can not only make it hard for him doing time but the parole board will use it against him as well when he comes up for parole.
when it comes to the dept. of corrections.... choose your battles wisely.

07-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Geez, I did hear it straight didn't I. Yes I understand that he should of took the classes by the time I had just sent him a letter telling him that he better just take the classes and I and his finance would do the foot work that needs to be done, it was too late they had already moved him I had sent the letter to him the nite before he had been moved.
My next question is if this is still a factor having to take SO classes should I still advocate for him? Do you think they would consider moving him back.

07-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Sorry This Is Not Related To Your Letter, But I Just Wanted To Welcome You To Washington. I Am Down South Of You, In The Puyallup Area. If You Want A Buddy That Knows The Area, You Can Pm Me. Best Of Luck With Your Issue Of Your Son.

07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
You can try and speak for him BUT I'm not so sure they well listen,being he's over 18 is what they tell you! Make friends, and I say FRIENDS with his case manger BE NICE, BUT CAREING for your son, and don't drive them carzy or they'll make it tough on him. Asking question's such as "What can I do to help him",or let them know your worried and just want what is best! Just don't lose your cool MOM,I'm a mom too and understand what you feel and even ME, I'm careful how and what I say, Best of luck,if you play your cards right maybe at some point they'll move him back BUT not until there ready, trust me!! You have to out smart them, it's DOC. and in some case's make them think it was there Idea <smile>