View Full Version : Riverside changed visiting hours & lockdown

luckyanna
06-24-2004, 12:43 AM
Riverside shortened their visitng times as of June 1. I found out when I arrived Tuesday after 7:30. The latest visitors can sign in is 7:30 now & visiting ends at 8:30 I think. How are people supposed to know about these changes?
Also the reason for the recent lockdown was that a prisoner committed suicide by hanging himself in his cell. It doesn't make sense to me that that is a reason to lock everyone else up, but I guess it must have inconvenienced the guards.

deb
06-24-2004, 06:18 AM
It's sad cause people don't know about the changes til they show up to visit... I know guards have never seemed to like it when we show up late to visit and yet sometimes it's been unavoidable--work and then driving long distances with snow storms or construction etc...

Deb

LeaAnn
06-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Luckyanna-Thanks for that bit of info. Nice to know if I do ever go to visit there, but for now I do not think I will. And thanks for letting us know he hung himself. My friend is calling tonight, so I wouldn't have known until tonight.

mrsdragoness
06-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Its standard security procedure when someone is found dead that the facility lock down. Thats something that will probably never change.

I'm sorry you found out about the visiting hours being changed too late.... they should have been posted on the units so the inmates knew ahead of time.

mrsd

Reikimom
06-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Since they were changed June 1st, they should be using that date as their 30-day notice. Technically then, they're not supposed to change it until July 1st -- right?

Reikimom
06-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Also, I've gotten in the habit of calling the facility I visit on the day that I'm planning to go. That way, if there's anything happening that would prevent my visiting, I won't have gone all that way for nothing. Today when I called, I found out that the facility's phone lines are out (lightning) - there's another facility next door that picked up the phones for them because they didn't get hit. The women I spoke with were really helpful too with giving me the numbers for public transportation outsources.

mrsdragoness
06-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Reikimon,

Actually the facilities were notified in May of the June 1st changes. But some facilities get right on it and make announcements, others don't. This is something that as force here on PTO, hopefully we can make strides so these types of things don't happen in the future.

We can't control emergency lockdowns and truthfully there lockdowns here in Michigan are few are far between compared to other states. Riverside does seem to be one that's locked down more than others.

Reikimom
06-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Mrs. D,

Thank you, and I stand corrected.

Reikimon,

Actually the facilities were notified in May of the June 1st changes. But some facilities get right on it and make announcements, others don't. This is something that as force here on PTO, hopefully we can make strides so these types of things don't happen in the future.

We can't control emergency lockdowns and truthfully there lockdowns here in Michigan are few are far between compared to other states. Riverside does seem to be one that's locked down more than others.