View Full Version : No air flow in Corcoran cells

b-fly
06-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Power was lost the other day at old Corcoran. The back up generators are supposed to keep the air flowing into the cells so the inmates can breathe fresh air. The air was re-generated to the officers only and the inmates were on lockdown for 12 hrs with no air flow......they kept asking for 7 hrs but were not allowed to leave their cells....the prisoners finally got so irritated that they started throwing stuff and the officers retaliation was to do cell searches for the rest of the 5 hr. suffocation period. This lack of air was between 12 pm and 12am.......Sacramento headquarters needs to be made aware of this. These men are supposed to be under the care of California.....well, you can send my man home where he can breathe....anyday.....
what do you all think we should do? citizens complaint filed???? this is totally outrageous, but its just one of many things.....

kreepsgirl
06-17-2004, 11:18 PM
The power went out at Corcoran SATF as well last Sunday.

onesweetie
06-17-2004, 11:23 PM
My hubby was telling me about that in a letter. What do you suggest we do about it? :hmm:

b-fly
06-17-2004, 11:34 PM
well, my man said we could file a citizens complaint. Going to discuss it this weekend. Someone has to pay attention to what goes on behind the wall....

crstdrvn
06-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Electrical problems occur frequently at Corcoran and CSATF....there is something wrong with their system and there apparently has been since CSATF was built.

I was told by a sargent a year ago that it just goes goes with the territory there, and it is something they sort of live with. They do fix-it jobs on it all the time, so they are supposedly "addressing" the problem, but it still keeps happening. He told me the entire place needs to be re-done correctly, and that is not gonna happen with the budget problems.

As for the CO's having recirculated air while the men didn't..good luck proving it, and more power to you if you can. I would suspect that they will say that during the outage they were simply rotating who got air when, all regulated by a computer or something, and not decided by the staff... and it just hadn't gotten to your man's block before they got things "fixed"...what do you want to bet?

You are right, the system sucks and we need to pay attention to what goes on behind the wall, but this is only one example of the poor treatment received. There is a whole lot more than this going on! It's a MENTALITY.

Just to name a few.....

Lack of or poor medical care
Harrassment
verbal abuse
cell tossing
damage to personal property
vendettas
loss of priveleges
spoiled food
lack of decent calorie intake
changing the rules at a whim in any block depending on the CO's mood or who is working....nothing uniform and clear.

It goes on and on. They are all only examples of a mentality. Until we find a way to correct THAT, none of the rest of it is going to change.

I think every CO in training needs to spend 10 days in reception before he can graduate...as an inmate, without the working staff knowing whether he is a prisoner or or a future CO. I realize that is not very realistic, but it's a nice idea. It would change their perception and therefore their mentality entirely, would it not?
I am a nurse, and in training (a loooong time ago) I had to be a patient as part of my training. I had to get IV's, I had to bare my butt in front of others and get a shot (sterile water), I had to have blood drawn, a tube put down my throat...I had to be "paralyzed" in a wheelchair for a day and try to navigate, be blindfolded and pretend to be blind for a day...many things that taught me clearly what it was like when the shoe was on the other foot. CO's need the same.

VisionaryArtist
06-20-2004, 03:59 PM
We could picket the prison and write

letters@fresnobee.com

and

letters@latimes.com

to draw attention to it, bad press always embarrasses them.

liznruben
06-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Yeah!!!! Let's Pickett The Prison!!!!!!!!! I'm Down For Whatever!