View Full Version : What has happened with Eric Holder's "call for sweeping changes?"

hindsight
08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what exactly came out of Eric Holder's "call for sweeping changes". Already the prison rumor mill is turning. I got an e-mail from my husband that "everyone is getting two points off for fraud and drugs by the end of the year" and it will be retro- active. Call me a cynic when it comes to prison reform happening quickly. After all the newspaper articles, opinions and backslapping- what really passed recently that will make a change in an immate's sentence besides the crack ruling. A while back it was 54 days of good time , yet BOP still only knows how to count to 47. I just want to send him the actual law, that has been passed. I know a lot of stuff gets presented and never gets pass anything. I know immates live on hope but I want to send him the facts. Thanks!

SusanWayward
08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Can anyone tell me what exactly came out of Eric Holder's "call for sweeping changes". Already the prison rumor mill is turning. I got an e-mail from my husband that "everyone is getting two points off for fraud and drugs by the end of the year" and it will be retro- active. Call me a cynic when it comes to prison reform happening quickly. After all the newspaper articles, opinions and backslapping- what really passed recently that will make a change in an immate's sentence besides the crack ruling. A while back it was 54 days of good time , yet BOP still only knows how to count to 47. I just want to send him the actual law, that has been passed. I know a lot of stuff gets presented and never gets pass anything. I know immates live on hope but I want to send him the facts. Thanks!

No law was passed. Eric holder sent a memo to his prosecutors about how to handle "low level" cases in court, going forward.

Nothing retroactive, nothing to help those already incarcerated. Oh, except maybe propesed changes to compassionate release for elderly offenders (I won't hold my breath waiting for anyone to actually be released under that one).

Here is FAMM's press release on the matter, if that helps:

http://famm.org/newsandinformation/PressReleases/FAMMApplaudsDOJCallforSentencingReform.aspx

The actual memo:

http://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/holder-mandatory-drug-minimums-memo.pdf

hindsight
08-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the links- I will send the info off to him. It really helps so much when they have the correct information.

sockmunkey1969
08-20-2013, 11:10 PM
How about the ones that just went in??? The old fart that started all my fiance's BS hasn't been sentenced yet. He'll probably get a kitchen pass.

SusanWayward
08-21-2013, 02:46 AM
How about the ones that just went in??? The old fart that started all my fiance's BS hasn't been sentenced yet. He'll probably get a kitchen pass.

It looks like this is only going to help at the beginning of a case, when the prosecutor actually writes up the charges. But I'm not a lawyer, this only my semi-jailhouse lawyer opinion based on what I read so far. :D

Tried&True
08-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Doing anything serious to reduce the length of sentences for those alread inside is not going to happen as long as Obama is in office. Letting criminal out is not a politically popular position. For him and Congress. they would rather get votes than do anything that makes sense.

fbopnomore
08-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I must have missed the positive changes for accused criminals when Ashcroft & Gonzales were Bush's AGs. Their DOJ policy was to charge everyone with the harshest possible crimes available. My prosecutor tried to charge me with a non mandatory minimum sentence violation (which was more representative of my crime) and Ashcroft personally vetoed it.

Positive change for criminals is extremely unpopular with the majority of our citizens, while brutal sentences often have the opposite effect (until one of them hits close to home), so it is not an easy position for any politician to take. In my opinion Obama's pardon record is disgraceful so far, and Holder has been in office a long time for the minimal changes he has proposed. But it is a step in the right direction when congress and the administration are at least thinking about repairing our awful prison for profit judicial system. If it does happen, it will be incremental, and this seems to be a positive first step.