View Full Version : Heading in for 10 months

Dragonfly Hazel
07-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure where I'm going or exactly when. I have a chronic health condition that they are evaluating before they place me. I realize that is backwards. I just pray I don't end up in a medical facility because what I've read about the women's medical facility is scary! There's so little out there about women preparing for prison camp that I decided to start a blog on my research and experiences. I hope others find it helpful. I am updating it often.
Dragonflyhazel.blogspot.com
One question I have is around how often I will have access to the email system in the prison camp. I am a phd student and I would like to be able to stay communicating with my colleagues as much as possible. Also, I noticed a woman's blog today that she keeps from prison. Do they allow Internet access from prison? If so, is it something we pay for? I'm just curious how she does her weekly update. I know that people take courses online, is that how they get Internet access? Thanks!

walkingtourist
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Are you going to federal prison? There is no internet access, but you can do email with a messaging service. People who keep blogs from prison give someone else access to the blog and the other person enters the information for them.
Best of luck to you? What department are you in? What are you studying?

I'm not sure where I'm going or exactly when. I have a chronic health condition that they are evaluating before they place me. I realize that is backwards. I just pray I don't end up in a medical facility because what I've read about the women's medical facility is scary! There's so little out there about women preparing for prison camp that I decided to start a blog on my research and experiences. I hope others find it helpful. I am updating it often.
One question I have is around how often I will have access to the email system in the prison camp. I am a phd student and I would like to be able to stay communicating with my colleagues as much as possible. Also, I noticed a woman's blog today that she keeps from prison. Do they allow Internet access from prison? If so, is it something we pay for? I'm just curious how she does her weekly update. I know that people take courses online, is that how they get Internet access? Thanks!

Dragonfly Hazel
07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I am going to federal prison. I appreciate your insight on maintaining blogs and will have my friends assist me. I study education (college and adult education).

Heluvedme1st
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Positive Energy and Thoughts Flowing your way. I hope that you are able to be placed at a responsible camp where you can get the proper treatment you need. I hope the time fly by for you and you are home before you know it. I think its a really cool idea to start a blog it should be very interesting

fbopnomore
07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Many medical conditions can be treated in the regular prisons. If your medications are on the bop drug formulary, you will most likely be able to pick them up at the prison pharmacy. The FMC's are usually reserved for more serious medical and psychiatric problems.
http://www.bop.gov/news/PDFs/formulary.pdf (http://www.bop.gov/news/PDFs/formulary.pdf)

Be sure to get a letter from your doctor explaining your diagnoses, all medications and your treatment plans. Take one with you when you SS and keep a copy to mail to the prison medical director if you are experiencing any problems in receiving appropriate medical care.

You will be interviewed by someone from medical as soon as you arrive at the prison. Make sure they note all of your issues in your medical file because if they aren't there, they don't exist. That person will prescribe medications temporarily, but the actual prison doctor will decide which meds you will receive long term.

Dragonfly Hazel
07-04-2013, 11:44 PM
From what I've read, since I am on a medication called enbryl, which requires injections every 72 hours, I'm going to be put in carswell, even though I'm fairly capable otherwise.

fbopnomore
07-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I think you are probably correct. The other real possibility is for them to just stop the enbryl. If it isn't on the formulary, it takes a helpful prison doctor (many will just say no) and an act of God in the headquarters medical office in DC, or wherever it is, to get an approval for a non formulary drug. If they won't let you have it, find out which formulary medication would be your best fall back option, and possibly even get it prescribed now so you can find out if it works for you, or not.

There are no second opinions or ERs in the bop.

Dragonfly Hazel
07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I did find enbryl on the formulary list. It is part of the list they have for "high priority medical conditions."

And their regulations also say, " Chronic pain conditions with objective abnormalities, e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis with abnormal x-ray, - Inmate should be enrolled in Ortho/rheum chronic care clinic and prescriptions should be written by a clinician and dispensed by the pharmacy for prescription strength medication."

I think their only chronic care clinic would be in the FMC. :-(

Dragonfly Hazel
07-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Interestingly, instead of waiting until I arrive at a place for the medical evaluation, the BOP asked for my medical records in advance and I am sending them next week and after review they are deciding my placement...

Many medical conditions can be treated in the regular prisons. If your medications are on the bop drug formulary, you will most likely be able to pick them up at the prison pharmacy.

Be sure to get a letter from your doctor explaining your diagnoses, all medications and your treatment plans. Take one with you when you SS and keep a copy to mail to the prison medical director if you are experiencing any problems in receiving appropriate medical care.

You will be interviewed by someone from medical as soon as you arrive at the prison. Make sure they note all of your issues in your medical file because if they aren't there, they don't exist. That person will prescribe medications temporarily, but the actual prison doctor will decide which meds you will receive long term.

fbopnomore
07-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Some "chronic" medical conditions can be treated in FCI's, but I think you are probably correct that yours will require designation to a (maybe the only) FMC that has that specific program available. Any medication for chronic pain is usually a major (losing)battle in the bop, so the fact that there is somewhere in the system that will provide the same medications you are receiving outside is great news.

Walking around for 3 months with an abscessed tooth, or years with a destroyed hip happens all the time. After all, the commissaries sell generic aspirin and Tylenol don't they, and anyone who needs anything stronger is an evil drug seeker, isn't he?

walkingtourist
07-07-2013, 02:04 PM
It's unusual for the BOP to be so proactive.
Still, make sure that you find someone that you know and trust on the outside to act as your medical advocate, should you need one. Make sure that you sign a release of information so that your advocate can get medical information about you from the prison. Ten months may not seem like a long sentence but it's long enough. Since you do have medical issues, you really ought to have someone at home who can be your advocate.
Best wishes to you.

Interestingly, instead of waiting until I arrive at a place for the medical evaluation, the BOP asked for my medical records in advance and I am sending them next week and after review they are deciding my placement...

Dragonfly Hazel
07-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Thank you. Would a regular power of attorney for healthcare do it or is there a special form for the prison system?

Dragonfly Hazel

walkingtourist
07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I think so but you might want to check with an attorney on this one.

Thank you. Would a regular power of attorney for healthcare do it or is there a special form for the prison system?

Dragonfly Hazel

fbopnomore
07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
The bop may have their own HIPAA form, but my personal experience was that they not only ignore it, they also block outside medical providers from complying with their responsibilities under HIPAA. When I was in a private hospital, I filed a HIPAA form there (as well as having one on file with the bop too) and the hospital was told not to contact my family under any circumstances, and not to tell them anything (even that I was a patient) if they called. Many laws are ignored by the bop, without consequences.

Dragonfly Hazel
07-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Well it is official. Carswell FMC. 8/19.

dcrc50
07-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Best wishes
hurry back and give us the info what your journey was like

mtoles
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I will be sentenced on 7/31 anywhere from 30-37 months according to the PSR I just received today. I read your entire blog this morning and so many of the things that you wrote hit home for me. I have a PHD in counseling and have worked 19 years as a therapist along with teaching basic and advanced psych classes. This past year I had conditioned my mind to accept that it was over for me in regards to teaching and counseling because who would hire a felon. I cried so much after reading that post on your supportive faculty and the way that you have been able to make this unthinkable and often times "mind breaking" situation come together. I am still having a hard time seeing as I post this hear felty thank you. I thank you for sharing your information because I have a "glimmer" of hope that I may be able to return to my profession when I'm done serving my time.

Also, I laughed so hard when I read that comment about researching going to prison. I to have been logging many hours in attempts to prepare my husband, four kids and host of family who still to this day believe that the judge (based upon their prayers) will see that I'm a good person and say no time or no probation (even though I explained to them healthcare fraud, a level D felony has to have prison time served). I am hoping to be sent to Aliceville the new facility in Alabama which is only 2 1/2- 3 hours drive from my home.

I look forward to your blog posts. Also I read Orange is the New Black last year when all of this started and I loved it. I have read it 2 more times over the last 18 months. I look forward to the Netflix drama. If I had not read your blog I would have never known about it.