View Full Version : County Jail Conditions/Maricopa County

purpletaz1956
06-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I have had some experiences with the County Jails in Maricopa County and they are disgusting, degrading and dangerous. Times that I have been there, visitation has been stopped for everyone because some visitor had the @#$%& to take in contraband and try and pass it(although I know alot of it gets through) screwing up EVERYONES visit. In County it seems as though the inmates make their own rules....if an inmate doesn't like something that another inmate is doing, "CHIN-CHECK" while the DO's look the other way.....cracked skulls, broken bones..no medical attention for it. Come on people...these inmates have done the crime but they are NOT animals nor should they be allowed to act that way. Just who is in charge there?
Lynn:mad:

Here4you4ever
06-09-2004, 10:09 AM
I spent a year visiting every single Sunday at Madison. I always felt like I was treated like dirt, it was awful and took hours to get a visit. What bothered me the most about how he was treated - and how many of the men there are treated - is that they haven't been convicted of a crime yet. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

purpletaz1956
06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Sonds like Joe's jails.....crappy...
At Durango if you don't have the booking #, they give you a # to call and get it..whichi is usually about a 30-60 minute wait for a live person. The DO's don't want to take the chance of being known as a 'nice person'. Not in there job description. My experience with this particular jail has been one of the WORST.
Lines leading down the ramp and out into the street past the fence.....reminds me of seeing farmers hearding cattle into a pen. A small room to sit in to wait for your number to be heard...100+ people in this small room...you can only imagine until you experience it.

babylove
07-23-2004, 01:06 AM
My fiancee is currently in Madison street jail. Hes been there since May 26 and has had 4 court dates to finally determine that a 6 month prison term for missing a meeting with his probation officer was suffienct punishment. He has SMI and they wont give him meds in there so hes been going crazy. His Pod was on restriction last visitation so I couldnt see him its been over a week since i have seen him and he ll already be in prison way in florence by the time restriction is lifted so i wont see him until september

MissLaniS
10-27-2004, 02:04 AM
You guys should check out this posting. Its a very close friend of mine's journal. ITs all about his experiences, and the inhumane treatment that he had to endure, while in Madison for almost 2 years.
I agree that Durango had to have been the worst visitation experience for me.
Towers was 10x better.
But yah, check out that thread, and in there you will find the link to my friends Journal......IT is interesting.......yet disgusting, and sad.........
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85869

Caring4U
12-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I think an important point to make about Maricopa County Jails (vs prison) is that it is, for the most part, a holding ground. The men and women housed there cannot afford bail so they are being held in the county jail until their trial. Most have NOT been convicted of a crime. It is wrong to degrade and humiliate anyone, even an inmate in prison - but especially wrong to treat someone this way who may, in fact, be innocent.

By the way, who said in the county jail they get 3 meals a day? And a personal TV?? I must have missed that memo.

JJT
12-22-2004, 10:12 AM
There is a misconception that prisons are 3 hots and a cot.

People don't generally understand that the food being served is marked "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" or Desert Storm left overs, or pet food factory rejected by-products. The average dietary intake for an inmate is barely over the food intake at the concentration camps in Germany. It has been proven over and over again the FDA dietary recomendations are just enought to keep a person from getting rikkets and scurvey.

We are not asking for Denny's or Black Angus quality food for our loved ones. Just improve it to something you would feed your dog.

There is a misconception that prison is easy time. I just watched a show on MSNBC that was very informative on prison life. I could not imagine having to be on guard 24/7, no rest, no real relaxation, in fear for my life 24/7 - 365 days a year.

Our prisons are not full due to them being the Ritz-Carlton. They are full because of manditory minimums and a tough on crime attitude of the government. They are full because of a system gone crazy in doing everything it can to make it impossible for the ex-con to make it on the outside. The DOC and Legislation is very good at creating its own return customers!

But prisons are just a band-aid fix for society. We need to fix the real problem, and get to it before people commit crimes. But that will not happen in my generation or the next. We will have to lock up half of society before we finally realize, hey, maybe this isn't such a good idea, and we need to fix the causes of crime.

Good luck to you. I hope I haven't offended anyone. But, frankly, I don't care.

JJT

Caring4U
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
JJT - DITTO!!!! Well said! The people who believe prison is 3 hots and a cot have never had a loved one serve time. It makes me sick to think of the food these guys are fed - I don't even see how it can be allowed. There is a fine line between punishment and abuse.

And yes, prisons are just a band-aid fix for society! Dang girl, I think you should run for office!!

madisonsux
04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
I don't know how many people posting here have ever been in Sherrif Joe's palace, but after spending 3 months in Madison I have to say that people who approve of Sherrif Joe are out of there mind. When guys come from prison to face new charges in Maricopa County, the DOC inmates complain THE MOST because Madison is so much worse than the prisons are. True, Sherrif Joe doesn't spend much to feed us the shit a stray dog in a third world country wouldn't eat, but he spends a fortune on the prescription drugs that the inmates really don't need. Guys are always doing what they can to get their hands on the free "meds."

I was in for DUI which I admit is a horrible crime and I think 3 months was a totally reasonable sentence, but Madison is GP Maximum Security...in with the rapists gang bangers and murderers. Murderers do not make fun roommates. No wonder that shankings and suicides are the norm in there. In my time I got to see: people getting stabbed, people trying to kill themselves, 10 on 1 fights, 4 addicts using one needle, and the list goes on. How the hell are these conditions designed to rehabilitate anyone? Is there even a person alive who is better off having been exposed to this? Is there a community existant that is better off having people re-enter it's circle from a place like this? At least I was guilty, I just pray for those who are innocent and are still there.

az-tears
04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Welcome to Pto ! I know you had a bad experence in the tents and I am truly sorry .
But as a mother with a son in prison and he had his camping days in the (TENTS). I want it to suck and smell and I want the food to taste and look bad so maybe the next time my son thinks about being stupid he will remember the Tents and all his bad experence so he wouldnt go back------But it was just a thought:shake:

azmspriss
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
My man has been visiting Joe's facilities for the last 15 months now. He was moved to the new Lower Buckeye Jail. Last week he was put in the hole for 30 days and put that god awful loaf for 21 of those days. Could you imagine having to take one bite of that much less have to eat it everyday for 21 days. Disgusting. Just another one of the wonderful things Joe Arpaio seems to be able get away with. For not locking down inter-racailly.

arriana
06-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I am sorry that your man has to go through that ... and heck no I can not imagine eating that loaf and in truth the idea makes me lose my appetite..
I hope he is near the end of his time... sherriff joke is a sad bad thing

B'ssoulmate
06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
My husband has been in Arpaio's system for the last 4 months. He says what happens after they are arrested is the crime. Just remember that most of theses guys are still unsentenced and innocent until proven guilty. I visit Towers Jail every Sunday and Tuesday. They are handcuffed to the table because some idiot tried to walk out with the visitors. His wrists are a mess because of the handcuffs and he said the DO's do it on purpose, they put them on as tight as they can and then have bets on who's wrists will look the worst when they take them back to their cells. Then laugh. He also has been wearing the same clothes for the last 2 weeks because they never brought him any clean ones. The DO's at Towers are much nicer then the ones at Madison were, but you can still see the attitude. My husband is actually looking forward to the day he can be released to ADOC so the conditions can improve. That is sad. Arpaio need to be put in one of his own jails where nobody knows him, and see what he thinks then. I just don't understand how he sleeps with himself at night. All of the wifes and other loved ones have decided we are going to throw a party at his funeral!!!