View Full Version : SB260 - a bill which will give juveniles with long sentences a 2nd chance

cachon619
05-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Please support and endorse SB260, a bill which will give juveniles with extreme sentences a second chance. Whether or not you have a loved one incarcerated since as a juvenile, it is important for us to recognize the essence of youth and do our best to preserve that essence from rotten away in prison.

Please follow the link to find out more information about this bills and other juvenile related matters. The site has latest updates on the bill as well as sample letters and directions as to how you can support this bill.
fairsentencingforyouth .org/take-action

Please also visit caresforyouth .org to join our support group for juvenile offenders' family members. We meet once a month on the phone to share and support one another on the issues of our loved ones, as well as gaining support for ourselves.

Any questions or inquires can be submitted to either sites above and someone will get in contact with you.

I have been a juvenile, who was sentence to 25/life, who served 18 years, and was granted a parole date of 2023; Governor Brown reviewed my file and decided to grant me an 'immediate release'. I have been freed fro 2 years. I am passionate about this reform; therefore currently involve in this work. I could just live my life quiet and peaceful. Instead I chose to bring awareness about this reform. I faced great struggles transitioning my life beyond prison, YET I made time to be a part of this cause, because I believe of the NEEDS TO REFORM THE JUVENILE JUSTICE SYSTEM.
If you have a loved one serving extreme sentences since a juvenile, please consider becoming a part of this cause and join us.

Nica
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Please support and endorse SB260, a bill which will give juveniles with extreme sentences a second chance. Whether or not you have a loved one incarcerated since as a juvenile, it is important for us to recognize the essence of youth and do our best to preserve that essence from rotten away in prison.

Please follow the link to find out more information about this bills and other juvenile related matters. The site has latest updates on the bill as well as sample letters and directions as to how you can support this bill.

Please also visit caresforyouth .org to join our support group for juvenile offenders' family members. We meet once a month on the phone to share and support one another on the issues of our loved ones, as well as gaining support for ourselves.

Any questions or inquires can be submitted to either sites above and someone will get in contact with you.

I have been a juvenile, who was sentence to 25/life, who served 18 years, and was granted a parole date of 2023; Governor Brown reviewed my file and decided to grant me an 'immediate release'. I have been freed fro 2 years. I am passionate about this reform; therefore currently involve in this work. I could just live my life quiet and peaceful. Instead I chose to bring awareness about this reform. I faced great struggles transitioning my life beyond prison, YET I made time to be a part of this cause, because I believe of the NEEDS TO REFORM THE JUVENILE JUSTICE SYSTEM.
If you have a loved one serving extreme sentences since a juvenile, please consider becoming a part of this cause and join us.

Congratulations Chica. It is a struggle indeed, in addition transitioning from behind the wall. I'm glad to see Mr. Brown, ordered a immediate release. I agree our youth are the essence of tomorrow. Things happen, they are young and naive. They to deserve another chance and there cases to be looked at indivdually. I don't believe in throwing away the key and forgetting about them. I hope the bill passes. More power to you :thumbsup:. May God continue to give you strength and courage.

pj663
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Welcome home Cachon,

Welcome home love:) I'm extremely passionate about this bill because if it is established my love ones will be home soon:) It has passed but it is in the Apprioations Suspense File so I'm praying for this bill to past before the year is out. Welcome home luv.

AnarchyHeart
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Congratulations on doing well and keep going!
I just wanted to throw in there that when my nephew was a young adult we had to see a few psychiatrists for a few things. I learned that it is fact that the juvenile brain, especially in boys, is not fully developed until sometimes after 18. It has been a long time so I don't completely remember ages. But it was especially true for actions and consequences. So I really don't understand how we can try them as adults and give out sentences such as 25-life. There has to be much better ways for our kids. Troubled or not, they are kids.

pj663
05-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Here is the latest:

Senate Vote on SB 260 (http://openstates.org/ca/bills/20132014/SB260/) (Apr 9, 2013)

Bill Status: Passed

Sentencing.
Do pass, but re-refer to the Committee on Appropriations.

•••Yes:457.0•••No:228.0•••Other:114.0

Full Roll Call

Yes Votes

NameDistrictPartyCarol Liu (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000016/)25DemocraticLoni Hancock (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000009/)9DemocraticDarrell Steinberg (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000006/)6DemocraticKevin De León (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000057/)22Democratic
No Votes

NameDistrictPartySteve Knight (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000065/steve-knight/)21RepublicanJoel Anderson (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000116/joel-anderson/)36Republican
Other

NameDistrictPartyMarty Block (http://openstates.org/ca/legislators/CAL000044/marty-block/)39Democratic

Sources

yubnag
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
SB 260 passed the Senate, it's going to the Assembly now, go write your assembly man!

morazan
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
When is the assembly suppossed to sign?

yubnag
06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
When is the assembly suppossed to sign?

Perhaps at the end of the month??

I don't even know myself and my guy is dying to know...

pj663
06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
The assembly doesnt sign any bills, the governor can sign it or veto it. As it stands the bill sb260 is in the assembly. The process in the assembly is the same as the senate of course with enough votes it will pass. Once it is passed the bill will be forwarded to governor brown for him to sign. This bill should it pass will be effective on or before January 1, 2014. I hope this helps.

BROWN ROYALTY
06-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Ima try to write all 79 assembly members..... In hopes of influencing their decision to favor and vote yes. That way gov brown can sign it with confidence. Lets do this!!!!!

yubnag
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
The assembly doesnt sign any bills, the governor can sign it or veto it. As it stands the bill sb260 is in the assembly. The process in the assembly is the same as the senate of course with enough votes it will pass. Once it is passed the bill will be forwarded to governor brown for him to sign. This bill should it pass will be effective on or before January 1, 2014. I hope this helps.

I must clarify this with you, 'cause my BF is dying to know; so, how long is the bill allowed to stay in the assembly, if it doesn't get enough vote? What happens if the bill doesn't get enough vote, if this bill tries to pass again, would it have to start from the beginning?

pj663
06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Upcoming Hearings for Bill sb260

SB 260 (Hancock):Sentencing.
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 (Asm Public Safety)

@yubnag If the bill fails they can request a reconsideration if that fails they can make changes to the bill for amendment and start the process again. It is my hope that it will pass as this bill will release hundreds of lifer juvenile inmates thus the inmate population will decrease. Governor brown said that he will look to bill legistures to decrease the population. This would be a start.

BROWN ROYALTY
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
The reason why I posted this here is because im concerned about the SB260 now now more than ever. if Gov.Brown complys, does this mean that all state local laws including sb 260 must be waived...were all efforts to have this endorsed for nothing? im sooo sad yet not surprised. its so discouraging. Especially if you are like me who keeps faith n focus in one area of hope. This SB260 can be the miracle me and my mister have been waiting for. we were both juvenile offenders at the time of the offense, unfortunately he got the shit end of the sentence and was ordered to serve time with an L. mind you we were juveniles!!!
I think this plan is a crock of shht lol excuse my French, but come on ... releasing non violent offenders is just setting them up to get incarcerated again and again and again. I can only share my opinion, no disrespect to anyone.
What are your thoughts on Gov.Brown being ordered to comply

BROWN ROYALTY
06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Woops just read the copyright rules on pto... My mistake!

pj663
06-20-2013, 08:16 PM
@Brown Royalty,

Governor Brown said he would look to legistures to help ease the population issue. Sb260 could release hundreds of Juvenile lifers thus a decrease in the population. They have to pass this bill we have to many juvenile lifers serving indeterminate sentences for non-homicide convictions. In some cases 1st degree murder is 25 to life automatic. You have some who are serving 20 to 100 yrs for non homicide cases. Something wrong with that picture. Second degree murder is 15-life you follow me? Many have served 15 plus yrs as a juvenile, many are now in their mid 30's to 40's who have been down since the age of 17 and under. Governor Brown has the power to release these inmates. I dont think this bill will be waived as a matter of fact it has advanced in the assembly. Next meeting is July 2, 2013. :twocents:

pj663
06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
One last thing releasing non-violent offenders is just one avenue in decreasing the population. Releasing the elderly who doesnt pose a threat to society would be a good start. The sb260 would be another option to decrease the population.

BROWN ROYALTY
06-20-2013, 10:28 PM
O okay, ive browsed around several articles & read one stating that all state/local bills/laws would be waived. I was confused as to what they meant by saying "waived" ... I was under the impression they would disregard "waive" SB260 & all other potential bills that on the table (so to speak)! Thank You for clarifying & the lucky pennies too
C/R BrownRoyalty.

yubnag
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Praise the Lord! SB 260 passed the safety committee today; it'll go to Appropriations in August, I guess it's for allocating funds for the bill.

Kishale
07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Does the sb260 apply to all juvenile cases? or just non violent ones?

morazan
07-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Where did you get this info? I've been trying to find anything on this issue but nothing comes out even at the assembly's website.

pj663
07-03-2013, 09:08 PM
So far so good!! SB260 is passing through the assemnly so far!! Let's keep it going!!!!!

2013-07-02 - Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations (Y: 5 N: 2 NV: 0 Abs: 0) [PASS]
2013-05-28 - Senate 3rd Reading SB260 Hancock (Y: 27 N: 11 NV: 1 Abs: 0) [PASS]
2013-05-23 - Do pass as amended (Y: 6 N: 0 NV: 1 Abs: 0) [PASS]
2013-04-22 - Placed on Appropriations Suspense file (Y: 7 N: 0 NV: 0 Abs: 0) [PASS]
2013-04-09 - Do pass, but re-refer to the Committee on Appropriations (Y: 4 N: 2 NV: 1 Abs: 0) [PASS]

pj663
07-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Does the sb260 apply to all juvenile cases? or just non violent ones?

This applies for all juveniles violent and non violent. They will have the chance to have their case reviewed after serving 10 years. Staying prayed up because this will affect many including my love ones.:thumbsup:

Kishale
07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
This applies for all juveniles violent and non violent. They will have the chance to have their case reviewed after serving 10 years. Staying prayed up because this will affect many including my love ones.:thumbsup:

Yay so excited this will affect my loved one, he's just hitting the 10 yr mark, thanks please keep us updated on this:thumbsup:

mrsbaldizan
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
http://legiscan.com/CA/text/SB260

pj663
07-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I just found out this afternoon that there is another bill geared towards giving a juvenile lifer who has committed a non-homicide offense have a chance to parole after 20 years. Here is the bill:

AB 1276, as amended, Bloom. Parole: juvenile offenders.
Existing law generally regulates the granting and conditioning of parole, and places the duty to monitor parolees on the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Division of Adult Parole Operations. Existing law specifies the procedures that the Board of Parole Hearings must follow in granting, denying, or revoking parole.
This bill would require, except as otherwise provided by law, a person who was convicted of a nonhomicide offense that was committed before the person had attained 18 years of age to be eligible for consideration for parole after serving 20 or 25 years in state prison, as specified. The bill would state that it is the intent of the Legislature to provide a meaningful opportunity to obtain release according to the standards set forth by the California Supreme Court in People v. Caballero.
DIGEST KEY
Vote: majority Appropriation: no Fiscal Committee: yes Local Program: no

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 3051 is added to the Penal Code, to read:
3051. (a) Except as otherwise provided by law, a person who was convicted of a nonhomicide offense that was committed before the person had attained 18 years of age shall be eligible for consideration for parole pursuant to this article after serving 25 years in state prison. However, if the person was sentenced to less than 40 years of imprisonment, the person shall be eligible for consideration for parole pursuant to this article after serving 20 years in state prison. Subsequent parole hearings shall be set according to Section 3041.5.
(b) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide a meaningful opportunity to obtain release according to the standards set forth by the California Supreme Court in People v. Caballero (2012) 55 Cal.4th 262.
(c) This section does not prohibit the imposition of a life sentence for juveniles convicted of homicide and does not prohibit or modify the parole procedures for adult offenders. This section does not limit the access of juvenile offenders to other programs and appeals that they were eligible for prior to the enactment of this section.

Keepin my fingers and toes crossed!!!

yubnag
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
How great the Father's love for us!!!

I just found out this afternoon that there is another bill geared towards giving a juvenile lifer who has committed a non-homicide offense have a chance to parole after 20 years. Here is the bill:

AB 1276, as amended, Bloom. Parole: juvenile offenders.
Existing law generally regulates the granting and conditioning of parole, and places the duty to monitor parolees on the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Division of Adult Parole Operations. Existing law specifies the procedures that the Board of Parole Hearings must follow in granting, denying, or revoking parole.
This bill would require, except as otherwise provided by law, a person who was convicted of a nonhomicide offense that was committed before the person had attained 18 years of age to be eligible for consideration for parole after serving 20 or 25 years in state prison, as specified. The bill would state that it is the intent of the Legislature to provide a meaningful opportunity to obtain release according to the standards set forth by the California Supreme Court in People v. Caballero.
DIGEST KEY
Vote: majority Appropriation: no Fiscal Committee: yes Local Program: no

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 3051 is added to the Penal Code, to read:
3051. (a) Except as otherwise provided by law, a person who was convicted of a nonhomicide offense that was committed before the person had attained 18 years of age shall be eligible for consideration for parole pursuant to this article after serving 25 years in state prison. However, if the person was sentenced to less than 40 years of imprisonment, the person shall be eligible for consideration for parole pursuant to this article after serving 20 years in state prison. Subsequent parole hearings shall be set according to Section 3041.5.
(b) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide a meaningful opportunity to obtain release according to the standards set forth by the California Supreme Court in People v. Caballero (2012) 55 Cal.4th 262.
(c) This section does not prohibit the imposition of a life sentence for juveniles convicted of homicide and does not prohibit or modify the parole procedures for adult offenders. This section does not limit the access of juvenile offenders to other programs and appeals that they were eligible for prior to the enactment of this section.

Keepin my fingers and toes crossed!!!

yubnag
08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Any updates yet?

pj663
08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Nothing yet.

pj663
08-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Ok families the next meeting is August 14th 2013. I think this is the big push staying prayed up we need this...

yubnag
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Ok families the next meeting is August 14th 2013. I think this is the big push staying prayed up we need this...

I was just going to share about the hearing date too! And thank you!

Patsgrl
08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Can the Governor deny signing it?

Patsgrl
08-15-2013, 02:08 PM

that was yesterday any news?

Patsgrl
08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
I am curious to know if this will apply to my boyfriend.. He was 17 when he took someones life and when he was 18 he admitted to the murder and was arrested he sat in county jail for 3 years from 2003 to 2006. He was then found guilty and sent to Prison at the age 20 so will this law apply to him he has been in actual prison for 7 years but has been locked up for 9 years (10 in December) we have been really praying and hoping for a miracle

pj663
08-15-2013, 03:01 PM
If he was sentence to life without parole this will not apply to him however, If he was sentenced to 25-life, then he will be able to have a review on his 25th year if it was 15-life or less it will be in his 20th year. If he has a determinante sentence then he would be reviewed on his 15th year. This is for those who committed the actual crime before the age of 18 years old.

Just me Mom
08-16-2013, 04:08 PM
If he was sentence to life without parole this will not apply to him however, If he was sentenced to 25-life, then he will be able to have a review on his 25th year if it was 15-life or less it will be in his 20th year. If he has a determinante sentence then he would be reviewed on his 15th year. This is for those who committed the actual crime before the age of 18 years old.

I have a question My son at 17 committed his crime (1998) .. his plea was 21 years.. So when do you think they should review his.. he is serving 85% Violent

Thank you for your help

pj663
08-16-2013, 04:13 PM
How long has he served?

pj663
08-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Got my answer he served so far about 16 years. Since he took a plea for 21 years which is a determinate sentence they would review him right now. A determinate sentence is 15 yrs anything below 25 to life is the 20th year, 25 to life is the 25th year.

Just me Mom
08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Got my answer he served so far about 16 years. Since he took a plea for 21 years which is a determinate sentence they would review him right now. A determinate sentence is 15 yrs anything below 25 to life is the 20th year, 25 to life is the 25th year.

I was talking to him Saturday about this and I need to send him all the documents about AB 260

Thank you for all your help

Betty

Patsgrl
08-19-2013, 04:17 PM

He got 33 to life with the possibility of parole in 25 years

pj663
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Then he will get a review at 25 years.

pj663
08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Next hearing date is Friday August 30, 2013.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 260
AUTHOR(S) : Hancock (Principal coauthor: Assembly Member Bloom)
(Coauthors: Senators De León, Lara, and Steinberg)
(Coauthors: Assembly Members Hall and Ting).
TOPIC : Youth offender parole hearings.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 08/12/2013

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/14/2013
LAST HIST. ACTION : Set, first hearing. Referred to APPR. suspense file.
COMM. LOCATION : ASM APPROPRIATIONS
HEARING DATE : 08/30/2013

TITLE : An act to amend Sections 3041, 3046, and 4801 of, and to
add Section 3051 to, the Penal Code, relating to parole.

pj663
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
The hearing will take place in the California Senate Appropriations Committee on August 30. If it passes through, it may become law before the end of the year. If the sb260 doesnt pass then more than 1,500 juvenile offenders who have served 15 years or more, may not get a second chance for some time to come.

pj663
08-31-2013, 01:47 PM
CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/30/2013
LAST HIST. ACTION : From committee: Do pass as amended. (Ayes 12. Noes 5.)
(August 30).
FILE : ASM SECOND READING
FILE DATE : 09/03/2013
ITEM : 73

COMM. ACTION DATE : 08/30/2013
COMM. ACTION : Do pass as amended.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY : Ayes: 12 Noes: 05 PASS

mrsbaldizan
08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/30/2013
LAST HIST. ACTION : From committee: Do pass as amended. (Ayes 12. Noes 5.)
(August 30).
FILE : ASM SECOND READING
FILE DATE : 09/03/2013
ITEM : 73

COMM. ACTION DATE : 08/30/2013
COMM. ACTION : Do pass as amended.
COMM. VOTE SUMMARY : Ayes: 12 Noes: 05 PASS

So does this mean that the bill passed????

pj663
09-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Not yet. But so far so good. I'm just happy it didn't stay in the suspense file.

Patsgrl
09-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Whats next

ms.garcia.
09-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone. SB 260 PASSED in the Assembly to with a 52 to 20 vote today!! SB 260 will be going back the the Senate and if it passes it will go the governors desk.

pj663
09-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Fantastic!!!

pj663
09-07-2013, 10:23 AM
This was the biggest hurdle so now it's back in the concurrence committee in the senate. The next meeting will take place on Monday September 9th 2013. Please know that after the amendments alot of changes has been made however in the bill they have a deadline of July 2015 for all juvenile lifers to be seen by the parole board. This is fantastic news and a chance for our love ones to end this journey and come home:)

Here is the bill with the amendments:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/sen/sb_0251-0300/sb_260_bill_20130903_amended_asm_v93.pdf

If this bill will assist your love one please share so that they will understand the process. In the mean time if you can look into possible resources at their facilities that promote rehabilitation workshops, ged's,aa classes, parenting classes anything that can show that they are working towards a goal of going home. As a family think of those who support your love ones, family members who can assist with finding work or going back to school. This is just a top layer of things to do but whats important is that the Jerry Brown signs it.

Stay positive!!!:boogie:

pj663
09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
SB260, by Democratic Sen. Loni Hancock of Berkeley, requires youth offender parole hearings for juveniles who were prosecuted as adults.

The Senate approved the bill 22-14 on Tuesday.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/10/5724532/youthful-offenders-may-get-chance.html#storylink=cpy

Beebeek1
09-11-2013, 04:58 PM
SB260, by Democratic Sen. Loni Hancock of Berkeley, requires youth offender parole hearings for juveniles who were prosecuted as adults.

The Senate approved the bill 22-14 on Tuesday.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/10/5724532/youthful-offenders-may-get-chance.html#storylink=cpy

THANKS!! :thumbsup: I was a little confussed my honey just called me and told me so I looked it up and yea it passed:D now whats next and how long will it be??

pj663
09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Once Jerry Brown signs it. Then it will become law. They forward the bill for him to sign on tuesday. I hope that with the population crisis he will make it effective immediately. The latest will be January 1, 2014.

nvr.alone
09-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your support!! SB 260 is "on the governor's desk" waiting for him to sign. Hopefully he will see this as a chance to release or review prisoners who have served more than enough time since they were juveniles and also reduce the prison population in a meaningful and unthreatening way.

We need to write letters to Governor Brown!!! He needs to know that this is important to the people of California. The lives of our loved ones hang in the balance. Whether he reads the letters or not, we will make our presence and our passions known. Go to fairsentencingforyouth.org to see examples of letters.

Get your family and friends to write letters!! Be a part of this history-making process. Many of our loved ones have no voice of their own!

LETS GIVE THEM A VOICE!!! Write to Jerry Brown. Encourage him to let mercy and compassion rule in his heart and sign SB260!

Let's all pray together that the Lord would make a way for our loved ones to come home to us and answer the prayer we all have been praying.
Lord, let this be your will...bring our loved ones home!!!

ms.garcia.
09-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Hello everyone, Just heard earlier tonight that Governor Brown SIGNED SB 260 into Law!!! This is a wonderful day for everyone SB 260 will affect. I want to say THANK YOU to all those that helped in the effort to make this a reality!!!!

pj663
09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
GOV. JERRY BROWN SIGNS YOUTH SENTENCING BILL (AND FILES OVERCROWDING TIME EXTENSION REQUEST)
On Monday night, Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law SB 260, a much-needed bill that builds on last year’s SB 9 and will give inmates who committed crimes as juveniles an earlier chance at parole. (Way to go, Jerry!)
The LA Times Anthony York has more on the passage of SB 260. Here’s a clip:

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-jerry-brown-oks-early-parole-for-serious-juvenile-offenders-20130916,0,1064370.story

Mschristian13
09-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello, not sure this is the correct forum for this question but my fiancé has been incarcerated for 16 years and with this new bill being passed for anyone Who was incarcerated younger than 18 years old or older than 14 (he was 15) does anyone know what I need to do, what type of actions I need to take as far as seeing if he is eligible?

thayacnme
10-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Now that SB260 passed...has anyone taken the steps to petition the court? My husband completely qualifies and I'm worried it's too good to be true. Does anyone have any additional information? Keep me postive...

thayacnme
10-06-2013, 05:43 AM
We've obtained a paralegal to gather the documents needed to petition the court for his case to be considered. Once the petition is submitted the court has 60 days to respond. It's possible my husband can be home within 90 days after serving 21 years.

ms.garcia.
10-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Hello, not sure this is the correct forum for this question but my fiancé has been incarcerated for 16 years and with this new bill being passed for anyone Who was incarcerated younger than 18 years old or older than 14 (he was 15) does anyone know what I need to do, what type of actions I need to take as far as seeing if he is eligible?

Hi Mschristian13, I would recommend that you and you LO read the final bill completely if you haven't already as there are some offenses that are excluded. Right now the regulations are being worked out as to how to implement SB 260. I would say that once those are set and if you still have questions I would recommend you consult an attorney come january.

hiscoqui
10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Me and my man have been lookin into this new bill he doesnt want to get his hopes up but it seems like he falls under this law, which is a great thing. Does anyone know how they will determine on which inmates will be considered first, like in what order they will begin these hearings?

Just me Mom
10-08-2013, 03:49 PM
My son has talk to his consoler about this He stated the has to get all the documents in order before the end of the year to be qualified .. Fingers crossed

pj663
10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
FYI

Members you dont have to fill out any petitions on the sb260. This provison will function as if they are going before the parole board to see if they are fit to be paroled back into society. This bill works nothing like the three strikes bill which you do have to file a petition to get back into the courts. If your love one was a juvenile who committed his offense before the age of 18 then he or she is eligible. If he received a sentence for a example a determinate sentence of 30 yrs he will have a chance to go before the parole at 15 yrs. If your love one received a indeterminate sentence of 15 to life or less (7-life, 10-life etc.) Then they will be considered after serving 20 yrs. If your love one has 25 yrs to life they will have a chance at 25 yrs. If he has life without parole then he is not eligible for this provision he falls under the sb9. The best thing you can do is have a parole plan together who will be his support? Will he work? Support groups? I have a plan that I can share with PTO will post shortly. I hope this helps:)

pj663
10-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Goals / Post-Release Plan ( Just an example)

· Obtain driver’s license / ID and social security card in preparation for employment; Update/Create resume · Upon release: Report to the parole office to receive instructions.
· Go to the local work force center to register for work and look for jobs.
· Attend N.A. / A.A. weekly (more as needed).
· Spend time rebuilding relationship with family.
· Maintain household responsibilities (chores, yard work, etc.).
· Obey all parole guidelines . Keep any and all appointments.
· If unable to find full-time employment immediately, continue part time work and find volunteer work (to occupy time, gain new skills and contribute to society).
· During spare time, go to the public library and read books. Look into furthering my education.
· After obtaining full-time position, set aside some money for savings.

thayacnme
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Canceled that paralegal. We spoke to Senator Hancock's office today. She said they will be sending a letter to all that it applies to by July 1st, 2015. No one needs to petition the court. The will get a date for their hearing. Here's the kicker... she said the law is in place but the board of parole has 18 mos to implement rules and regulations to the hearings. So she told me that nothing was happening yet! Seriously? Do we have to wait another year and a half? I thought Gov Brown wanted to reduce the costs? And under this new law my husband was eligible 7 years ago. Help! I need positive advice

Just me Mom
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM
FYI

Members you dont have to fill out any petitions on the sb260. This provison will function as if they are going before the parole board to see if they are fit to be paroled back into society. This bill works nothing like the three strikes bill which you do have to file a petition to get back into the courts. If your love one was a juvenile who committed his offense before the age of 18 then he or she is eligible. If he received a sentence for a example a determinate sentence of 30 yrs he will have a chance to go before the parole at 15 yrs. If your love one received a indeterminate sentence of 15 to life or less (7-life, 10-life etc.) Then they will be considered after serving 20 yrs. If your love one has 25 yrs to life they will have a chance at 25 yrs. If he has life without parole then he is not eligible for this provision he falls under the sb9. The best thing you can do is have a parole plan together who will be his support? Will he work? Support groups? I have a plan that I can share with PTO will post shortly. I hope this helps:)

Thank you I will let my son Know.

pj663
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Canceled that paralegal. We spoke to Senator Hancock's office today. She said they will be sending a letter to all that it applies to by July 1st, 2015. No one needs to petition the court. The will get a date for their hearing. Here's the kicker... she said the law is in place but the board of parole has 18 mos to implement rules and regulations to the hearings. So she told me that nothing was happening yet! Seriously? Do we have to wait another year and a half? I thought Gov Brown wanted to reduce the costs? And under this new law my husband was eligible 7 years ago. Help! I need positive advice

Thayacnme,

When a bill pass there's always an effective date to follow. In this case the effective date is January 1, 2014. California has over 5,000 juvenile lifers, reaching all 5 will not happen over night not even in 6 months. A meeting will be taking place this month to discuss how this provision will be implemented. Ms. Hancock is correct no need to petition the court all 5,000 who will be affected by this bill will be contacted first to be advised of what they need to do to fit the criteria to be paroled and second to actually meet with the parole board. So it is a process keep in mind the deadline is July 2015 however your love one may be seen well before that time. This is the oppurtunity to look at his or her's pre-release plans and put it in place. Any self help courses will also assist him or her.

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Pj663...You've been so helpful. Thank you so much. It's just so exciting. My husband has been done almost 22 years, since he was barely 17 yrs old. So to know that he has a "real shot" at getting out sooner is flabergasting! Thank you for the sample parole plan. We will be writing one of those. He already has requested from the counselor all his documents. He's done GED, college classes, anger management, wellness groups, barbering, welding, metal fab. The list goes on and on. We've received approx 12 character letters from family of which a few offer employment to him. And he's almost 7 years over CA's minimum time spent criteria. of 15 yrs. I just don't see any reason why they would hold him any longer. No violent crimes...at all either. He's written his remorse letter also, which was beautiful. Do you or anyone know how they are going to "go down the list" to issues hearing dates? Alphabetically, amount of time served already, by crime?

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 06:32 AM
*down

not "been done" I meant my husband has been down. hahaha

Just me Mom
10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Thayacnme,

When a bill pass there's always an effective date to follow. In this case the effective date is January 1, 2014. California has over 5,000 juvenile lifers, reaching all 5 will not happen over night not even in 6 months. A meeting will be taking place this month to discuss how this provision will be implemented. Ms. Hancock is correct no need to petition the court all 5,000 who will be affected by this bill will be contacted first to be advised of what they need to do to fit the criteria to be paroled and second to actually meet with the parole board. So it is a process keep in mind the deadline is July 2015 however your love one may be seen well before that time. This is the oppurtunity to look at his or her's pre-release plans and put it in place. Any self help courses will also assist him or her.

My sons Counselor told him what he need to get (letters and all) so when they do contact him he has everything in order.

Thank you again

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes my husband has gone to the counselor and requested for all 115s and all certificates of accomplishment and/or achievements. Also they must write a remorse letter to the victim(s). Also any letters offering employment and character reference letters about your loved one. Also PJ663 said a parole plan also. This way they are ready to go in front of that board and show them theyre prepared to get out. I just want to know how fast will he receives the letter. The suspense is killing me and to think it can go on for 18 mos! Yuk!

Mschristian13
10-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Thayacnme,

Is this bill only for juvenile lifers? My hubby been down 16 years with a 15 year sentence. Went in when he was 15. He doesn't have a life sentence but his date is in July 2014. Which they keep changing... I mean he's well overdue to get out but do you think he may have a chance of early release either for this bill or the early release program? He's level 4 medium A.

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes I think so but you'd have to read the bill to see if he meets the criteria. It's not only for lifers. Its for anyone arrested as a juvenile and sentenced as an adult. I'm no lawyer just my husband's wife

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Pj663: maybe you can help... the senator's office told me to look on cdcr website under parole hearings and stuff so I did. Now when I read their next meeting's agenda it showed a couple of guys already being considered for resentencing under 1170 which is a part of sb260. Another guy was recommended byethe governor! How do I even get that far as to have my husband's file land in the governor's lap for consideration ? I know...i'm crazy

pj663
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
thayacnme,

Yes you are crazy!!!Lol!! It's exciting I know but..

Let the process take it's course, If your husband falls under the sb260 then he will be notified without you trying to shortcut to the governor. I went online to the cdcr website and I am familiar with what you are speaking of however the Parole Board still have to discuss how the process will work. We know that each Juvenile lifer has to be notified that they qualify, we know that they have until July 2015 to notify all 5,000 plus juvenile lifers, we know that this provision will be effective January 1, 2014. From what I'm hearing the parole board will be meeting this month to discuss how to best implement the process for sb260.

Once it is in place then the notifications will begin in 2014 with the deadline being July 2015. So we know for certain that our love ones will know for sure within 18 months what will be. I know it seems far but really it isnt. This would be a good time to pep talk your love one to stay away from 115's be discipline free, think of jobs or trades they can learn while finishing up their time, continued education, etc. This will be the families time to put things in place, living arrangments, letters of support,financial stability and so forth. By the time you look up 18 months will have come and gone. Who knows??? He may be notfied before the 18 months. Who knows? They may create a process that will be quicker then the 18 months. Keep in mind Loni Hancock created this bill but the actual process now resides with the parole board. Fingers and toe's crossed, and stayin prayed up!!!

The best is yet to come god willing.

pj663
10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Is this bill only for juvenile lifers? My hubby been down 16 years with a 15 year sentence. Went in when he was 15. He doesn't have a life sentence but his date is in July 2014. Which they keep changing... I mean he's well overdue to get out but do you think he may have a chance of early release either for this bill or the early release program? He's level 4 medium A.

It's not a 15 to life is it? Normally when it is a set term ( Meaning determinate sentence) Then 15 years it is without a doubt. The only way it changes is if he gets into trouble that prolong his parole date or if he has a 15 to life sentence meaning that it is indeterminate sentence meaning that he has to do 15 years before they will consider releasing him but it's not for certain thats why it is 15 to life. It looks like he will be among the first to be considered for release.

thayacnme
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey!!! You told MsChristian13 that it sounded like her man may be amongst the first to be considered for release. Not fair!! lol Let me give you a little history so maybe you can lift me up too...
My husband was arrested at 17 for kidnap/robbery. Kidnap because the "victims" were moved from one room to another. Robbery 'cause...well you know, robbery. Anyhoo...he was a stupid kid running the streets of LA. He took the deal they offered him 53 years at half time. Kidnapping holds a life sentence so he took the deal so he would have a shot at a second chance. Here it is, 21 years later. He's 38 yrs old, married with a kid (don't ask lol). He's gotten his GED, college courses, barbering certificate, welding cert, computer literacy cert, forklift cert, he's attended wellness groups, anger management, AA/NA, Mac representative, maintained a job in there his entire incarceration, etc. He's done it all. He's determined and responsible now and so ready to live his life. Yes, he's gotten into a few fights, got a drug trafficing chg (13 yrs ago), but these are little things that come along with 20 yrs in prison.
He has a determinant sentence and they require only 15 yrs before a chance at a hearing. He's well over that by 6 yrs. I just want him to be in the "first flood" if you know what I mean. I am confident he has all the criteria they will be looking for. We have gathered approx 12 character letters from family and friends so far; some of the letters offer employment to him. He has his remorse letter that is very heartfelt and his counselor was getting his paperwork together this week.
I just believe that my husband is a prime candidate for immediate release under SB260. So I'm hoping they go down the list by time served already. I just don't know. The suspense is killing me, I'm becoming the crazy prison wife. LOL
Monday and Tuesday the Board is meeting, right? Well, how to know what they discussed and the results? I like in AZ and Sacramento is a bit far away.
Give me some hope too...

thayacnme
10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Does anyone have any additional/inside information? Who will be considered first for release?

pj663
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
If your husband falls under this catagory then he qualifies. It's not as if they pull names, more information on the administrative process will follow after the the parole board meet this month.

The bill would make a person eligible for release on parole at a youth offender parole hearing during the 15th year of incarceration if the person meeting these criteria received a determinate sentence, during the 20th year if the person received a sentence that was less than 25 years to life, and during the 25th year of incarceration if the person received a sentence that was 25 years to life. The bill would require the board, in reviewing a prisoner’s suitability for parole, to give great weight to the diminished culpability of juveniles as compared to adults, the hallmark features of youth, and any subsequent growth and increased maturity of the prisoner in accordance with relevant case law. The bill would require that, in assessing growth and maturity, psychological evaluations and risk assessment instruments, if used by the board, be administered by licensed psychologists employed by the board and take into consideration the diminished culpability of juveniles as compared to that of adults, the hallmark features of youth, and any subsequent growth and increased maturity of the individual. The bill would permit family members, friends, school personnel, faith leaders, and representatives from community-based organizations with knowledge about the young person prior to the crime or his or her growth and maturity since the commission of the crime to submit statements for review by the board.
Existing law requires the board to meet with each inmate sentenced pursuant to certain provisions of law during his or her 3rd year of incarceration for the purpose of reviewing his or her file, making recommendations, and documenting activities and conduct pertinent to granting or withholding postconviction credit.
This bill would instead require the board to meet with those inmates, including those who are eligible to be considered for parole pursuant to a youth offender parole hearing, during the 6th year prior to the inmate’s minimum eligible parole release date. The bill would also require the board to provide an inmate additional, specified information during this consultation, including individualized recommendations regarding the inmate’s work assignments, rehabilitative programs, and institutional behavior, and to provide those findings and recommendations, in writing, to the inmate within 30 days following the consultation.

pj663
10-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Also if he took a deal for 53 year at half time that's still about 26 years so if he's been down for 20 yrs that's just about right. Since it is determinate sentence then he's down more then 15 yrs so he should be fine. The above post explains the process.

thayacnme
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Oh yes I've read that thing over and over again. He qualifies. I'm just waiting for the letter from pale and wondering how they decide who goes first. Ik ik I'm going crazy. Going to see him tmrw so I'll see what new info he has. Thanks again

hiscoqui
10-11-2013, 10:53 AM
my man also falls under this bill, BUT he got more time added a few years ago so will he have to also give them that time?

thayacnme
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Same situation with me. My husband added time too but it's from 13 yrs ago and it's a drug trafficking charge. I heard they are looking to see if they are still committing the same crime as they were initially convicted for if they have any violent crimes since their initial arrest. I'm not worried about that cuz its so long ago and non violent and he's almost 7 years overdue to be eligible for the hearing. Under sb260 he should be seen at 15 yrs and he's almost at 22.

Hoping he just gets time served or can do his remainder on parole

thayacnme
10-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Went to visit my husband yesterday ladies! He's doing fine and staying positive and hopeful. It's so sad when he tells me "I just want to go home. I don't care what I have to do to get there, I just want to get out of prison. If they want me to knock on police door every morning, that's what I'll do. I just want to go home."
He also says he's been "here" before. He won't allow himself to get overly excited about the possibility of being released, because over the years he's been disappointed over and over again. It's so sad that he just can't be excited for himself due to all the changes and stipulations they put on these laws. Now the law is in place, but it's up to Parole to put these rules and regulations in place. I thought the laws were made for the People of CA, not the Board of Parole. :(
Well, he didn't have any new news other than once the new Handbook comes out from Parole, it will be up to CDCR to decide "who goes first." He says he will get a letter from his counselor. And last he spoke to his counselor, the counselor didn't even know about SB260. LOL
Just keeping you updated

thayacnme
10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Pj663... looking on the board of parole's website under their meeting agenda it looks like they've changed to Wednesday to discuss sb260? Hoping I'm interrupting things wrong?

pj663
10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
I seen it and it looks like they will be discussing the overview of the SB260 on wednesday.

thayacnme
10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
A prime example of delaying the process. Lol.

pj663
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I honestly prefer the delay then nothing. Just sayin because this is realistically our love ones only chance to go home sooner than later. Look forward to wednesday gotta remain postive and patience is a virtue:)

thayacnme
10-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Any new news? Wondering how the BPH meeting is going?

CloaknDagger
10-15-2013, 08:59 PM
From what was explained to me by our attorney, SB260 is a bill that takes into account the fact that the person was a juvenile at the time of crime. He compared it to the battered wife syndrome where the person is able to use being a juvenile and not fully matured at the time of the crime as a reason the crime was committed. The attorney stated that the Board cannot use the crime being committed as a juvenile as a denial of parole. There was a lot of changes made to SB260 before it was finally passed so I would definitely recommend reading it carefully. It is not an automatic reason to be released.

Mschristian13
10-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Went to visit my husband yesterday ladies! He's doing fine and staying positive and hopeful. It's so sad when he tells me "I just want to go home. I don't care what I have to do to get there, I just want to get out of prison. If they want me to knock on police door every morning, that's what I'll do. I just want to go home."
He also says he's been "here" before. He won't allow himself to get overly excited about the possibility of being released, because over the years he's been disappointed over and over again. It's so sad that he just can't be excited for himself due to all the changes and stipulations they put on these laws. Now the law is in place, but it's up to Parole to put these rules and regulations in place. I thought the laws were made for the People of CA, not the Board of Parole. :(
Well, he didn't have any new news other than once the new Handbook comes out from Parole, it will be up to CDCR to decide "who goes first." He says he will get a letter from his counselor. And last he spoke to his counselor, the counselor didn't even know about SB260. LOL
Just keeping you updated

Sounds like I wrote this! Everything you said matches my situation too all the way to the point where his counselor had no idea what sb260 was as well and not wanting to get excited because of all the disappointments throughout the years...

thayacnme
10-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Was on a conference call last night with Cares for Youth and atty Elizabeth Calvin. Honestly, I didn't learn anything new. Elizabeth Calvin will be working closely with the Parole Law Board and Board of Parole to implement the rules. She did say these hearings were going to be completely different from the regular hearings. The BPH has to give GREAT WEIGHT to the growth and maturity, hallmarks of youth, and the fact the crime was committed as a juvenile, by an adolescent mind. So we have that going for us. I didn't hear much to excited over. I'm almost more confused. There was some speculation that Gov Brown had to do something by the time he went back to court Jan 27th. Also, the ones that are eligible will be receiving notification soon. She had no idea how they were going to "go down the list" of eligible inmates. That has not been established yet.
If anyone knows anything, do tell...

pj663
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM
There's nothing for Jerry Brown to do. His task was to make it law and he did that. Now it's up to the Parole Board to implement the law and create a procedure and protocol for all juveniles who do qualify have notification by July 2015. The sb260 is effective January 1, 2014 therefore the parole board have to have a procedure in place by that time. The supreme courts just turned down Jerry's bid to extend the deadline for population reduction therefore the CDCR has to act fast in releases. Since the SB260 was mention as part of the population reduction plan I"m sure things will start to move quickly.

thayacnme
10-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Pj663: you've been so helpful and thank you. I'm staying positive and trying to keep my husband's spirits up too. He just wants to come home after 22 yrs!

pj663
10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mfFRdNn0EI

Thought I would share:)

thayacnme
10-18-2013, 06:11 PM
We contacted the guy who made this video. He seemed to know the prison system, but not SB260. He was the one who told us to "petition the court" before even knowing the real process. Oh yeah, he wanted money too. Come to find out, no petition is needed under SB260. But if I needed a paralegal, I'd still contact him. He was very helpful and answered any questions for us he could. Just business I guess.

pj663
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I like the video however you need not petition the courts. This is a totally diffrent process.

thayacnme
10-22-2013, 06:29 AM
I liked the video too. It definitely pumped me up. Once we contacted this guy, he was very helpful and very positive and answered all my questions.

thayacnme
10-26-2013, 05:15 AM
http://www.caresforyouth.org/CARESNews/Entries/2013/10/24_Board_of_Parole_Hearings_Attorney_Orientation_I nformation.html

Progress is being made!!! Still don't know how they are going to approach the ones that are overdue for their hearings? But it looks like BPH is making progress and by January 1st will be ready to act. Staying positive.

thayacnme
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Was anyone on the Cares Call last night?

PJ663... Have you any new insight?

danssugarmomma
11-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I need help. My loved one qualifies for SB260. 15.5 years served on a determinate sentence, tried as an adult... At the Youth Offender hearing he will need to show the disparity in his maturity between then and now. He had there great psychologists reports from his Welfare and Institutions code 707 hearing that showed his immaturity at the time. But his family threw them out 15 years ago. My question is: how do I get copies of those sealed juvenile reports? I have a JDA number and a petition number. But I have no clue how to get those reports. Please help me!!!!!!

pj663
11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
His information from his 707 hearing should be a part of his pre-sentence report. His report is part of his transcripts. Your husband can order a new set of transcripts at no cost to him. From there he can make copies of the report and send them to you. The pre-sentence report is of importance because in there should be notes and reconmendation from the person handling his report also notes from any family member reviewed etc his habits at the time all of that is in the pre-sentence.

danssugarmomma
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Thank you. How does he go about getting his free transcripts and pre sentencing report. He already got that stuff for free once but he sent it home and his family threw it away.

pj663
11-15-2013, 12:47 AM
The same way he got it before. They will send it to him. He is entitled to that he only need to explain that his family misplaced it.

thayacnme
11-15-2013, 10:18 AM
My husband has a hearing today with the records dept to go over his C-file and count up and down his points in order to give him a proper MEPD. I'm nervous for him...and me. He has an idea what the date is, but because the counselors in the prison are so incompetant his file is all messed up.
The time never mattered to him until SB260 came along. I think he needs to be for sure where he's at in life. He's trying to get all his ducks in a row for when he meets with his attorney and then goes on to his youth offender parole hearing.
I'm so excited about this opportunity...SB260. Let's all keep hope alive that the board will be giving "great weight" to the hallmarks of youth. It's written law so they should.

thayacnme
11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Anyone heard anything new regarding SB260? Any clue when those who are immediately eligible for their hearing will receive the official notice?

danssugarmomma
12-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Would a Motion to Modify Sentence help get a hearing sooner? Why not?

pj663
12-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Why do a motion for modification of his sentence? If he's part of the sb260 then they are modifying as is.

danssugarmomma
12-03-2013, 01:37 PM
In order to speed up the process. 18 months is a big window for when these hearings will take place.

thayacnme
12-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I heard some guys already got letters from Sacramento saying when their hearing will be. I don't really believe the source. Does anyone know? Also, my husband has a determinant sentence so he's never had a psych eval. Does anyone know when that might take place?

pj663
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
In order to speed up the process. 18 months is a big window for when these hearings will take place.

Well compared to having a life sentence with no end in sight 18 months is a breeze.

pj663
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
The SB260 Bill is effective January 2014. Less than a month from now. The evaluations will follow after the notifications. Your husband has a determinate sentence. He's in a good position at this point.

thayacnme
12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Determinant sentenced inmate's are going last. The BPH figures they need some time to prepare for their hearing since they never face the board. ��ugh!

thayacnme
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Does the STATIC RISK ASSESSMENT score count at the parole hearing? My hubby is a 1.

pj663
12-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Where are you getting this information????

pj663
12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
thayacnme,

You have many Juvenile Lifers who have never been before the Parole Board not just those who have a determinant sentence. Quite naturally Juvenile Lifers who have been denied once or twice before would be among the first to be seen but it doesnt mean that determinants will be last. I mention before that it's best to wait to see what the exact protocol will be. We have thousands of juvenile all case by case bases every case and circumstances are diffrent. The best thing we as a family can do is be ready on our end.

Charles Carbone was on point when he said in cases like this our love ones should continue to program and focus instead of wrecking their brains out about whats' next. I believe that in time all of our love ones will get the relief that they deserve. My understanding is that a meeting took place a couple weeks ago outlining whats to come at the beginining of the year. Let me know where you are getting your information from. Thanks.

pj663
12-04-2013, 01:37 PM
For those of you who have questions regarding the SB260 I attached some very important information directly from Lifers Alliance and from who I trust that the information is correct. Please note and I quote: Procedures
will be available at the December executive meeting. Expectations are that these new procedures will be adopted into board policy via administrative directive.Thank you Vannessa for all that you do!!!!!

YOUTH OPPORTUNITY PAROLE HEARINGS-COMING SOON!
The New Year will mean new parole chances for thousands of California prisoners, convicted as juveniles and sentenced to long determinant terms or life terms in California prisons. SB 260, the Youth Opportunity Parole Hearing (YOPH) legislation, will bring these prisoners to newly constituted parole hearings, sometimes before they might otherwise be considered and, in the case of determinate sentenced, when they would not otherwise be considered.
Attorneys, prisoners, advocates, families and prisoners are scrambling to figure out just what these new hearings will mean for specific individuals and lifers as a whole. Also scrambling is the Board of Parole Hearings, charged with identifying those entitled to the new hearings, updating psychological evaluations (also to be done with new considerations) and scheduling hearings for all those entitled to a 260 hearing, all in an 18 month window. Reportedly, FAD psych and the parole commissioners have or will have received specialized training in how to consider the “hallmarks of youth” called for in the new law. The youth review hearings are, as of late November, scheduled to begin in January. The BPH has already identified 28 prisoners whose hearings are scheduled in January and will the first to receive YOPH consideration.
LSA, after speaking with attorneys, the board and Human Rights Watch, one of the primary author groups of SB 260, has been able to construct the following framework for how the hearings will be held, who will be entitled to 260 hearings and when various prisoner cohorts might expect to have those hearings scheduled. Keep in mind, as of this publication date, the BPH has not yet released in detail the procedures for scheduling the hearings. Although those details are expected at any time (and time is getting short!) the board’s legal team has yet to finalize their recommendations. First hoped for at the October BPH executive meeting, then November, sources now say the procedures

Page 2
will be available at the December executive meeting. Expectations are that these new procedures will be adopted into board policy via administrative directive.

The following is a brief and general summary of how the when the hearings are expected. For more detailed information please contact LSA for a free, multi-page hand out on the whys and wherefores of SB 260. Not only is complete and detailed information too lengthy to print in Lifer-Line, the finer details have not yet been announced.

WHO: Any prisoner convicted of a crime committed before the age of 18, given either a long determinant sentence or a life with the possibility of parole sentence is eligible for a Youth Offender Hearing. The longest term of sentence, whether that is the sentence for the felony conviction or enhancement related to that crime will be the ‘controlling offense.’ This applies to both determinate sentenced prisoners and lifers.

WHO ISN’T: Those whose life sentence was the result of a third strike, a first strike rape (under Jessica’s Law) and those sentenced to life without parole. Also those who committed a new crime after the age of 18 that resulted in a long or life sentence (likely to have been committed while incarcerated).

HOW LONG: Those with determinant sentences longer than 15 years are eligible for a YOPH in the 15th year of custody; for those serving a term of less than 25 to life (example: 15 to life) eligibility will begin in the 20th year of incarceration; and those sentenced to a term of 25 years or more to life will be eligible in the 25th year in prison.

WHEN: YOPH hearings will begin in January, 2014. Any lifer already slated for a parole hearing in 2014 or the first 6 months of 2015 and who qualifies under the terms of SB 260 will receive his scheduled hearing under the umbrella of

SB 260. For those who fall under SB 260 and who do not have a hearing scheduled in those 18 months, including determinant sentenced prisoners, who heretofore were not seen by the parole board, will have hearings scheduled within that time frame. Just how fast and in what order remains to be announced.

WHERE: YOP hearings will be conducted at every prison where affected individuals are held.

HOW: The hearings will be held in much the same manner as current parole hearings, with the exception that psych evals and deliberations by the parole commissioners must give “great weight” to what are termed the ‘hallmarks of youth;’ diminished culpability, lack of clear understanding of impact of their actions, lack of impulse control and susceptibility to peer pressure, among other factors. The YOPH sessions will be conducted by the present Parole Board commissioners and Deputy Commissioners.
Page 3

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? Nothing. If you are eligible for parole consideration under the YOPH guidelines, even if you are a determinant sentenced prisoner, the BPH will identify your case and schedule a hearing for you as well as provide an attorney (if you cannot or choose not to hire a private attorney) and notify you of your hearing date. Understand, that determinate sentenced prisoners may be in the later group of inmates scheduled for hearings. At present there is not mechanism available to determinate sentenced individuals to request their hearing be held sooner, as there is for lifers via a Form 1045 A Petition to Advance.
THEN WHAT?: If found suitable at a YOPH hearing prisoners will be paroled, either in accordance with statute for their offense (in the case of lifers) or released right away, in the case of determinant sentenced inmates. Lifers must still undergo the Governor’s review, but the clear intent is that the Governor also will give ‘great weight’ to the young age at the time of the crime. If found unsuitable the requirements of Marsy’s Law still remain in play, but once again, the considerations of the hallmarks of youth are supposed to be considered by the commissioners in deciding on denial length. For those with determinate sentences, they will receive another hearing either at a date set by the board (length of denial) or be released at the end of their sentence, whichever comes first. Prisoners may also appeal denials via writs. For lifers denied parole every hearing after January, 2014 will be held under the considerations of YOPH.
As previously stated, there are many, many details to SB 260. Some already known, some still to be worked out. For complete information please write LSA asking for details of SB 260. This is one time we hope those writing to us will include a SASE, as we anticipate a substantial number of requests. As new or additional information is available we will publish that information in Lifer-Line and California Lifer Newsletter.

One more request. Lifers, please share this information with determinant sentenced prisoners. In many ways, parole hearings will be even more harrowing for this cohort, who, until now, never knew they would have face the parole board and may be woefully uninformed about what it takes to be found suitable.

pj663
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Straight from Lifers Alliance many thanks to Vanessa!!

Many of you have requested the handout on the implementation of SB 260. We want to let you know that document is coming--but we are preparing to update it. Yesterday we were invited to participate in a conference on Dec. 9 that will lay out the procedures the BPH will be using in applying SB 260.
Given this final, new information will be available on Monday we will be updating the handout and sending out the latest, best version as soon as we can finish it.
So if you've requested the handout and have not yet received it, this is why. We want to be able to send out the best information available.

thayacnme
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
There was an email sent out with the subject line reading "canceled" referencing the Dec 9th board meeting then a second one reading "updated" but I didn't see any difference. Does anyone know what is going on with that?

thayacnme
12-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Apparently the email was sent in error. Got it. Thanks Vanessa

danssugarmomma
12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
My LO has finished 15 on a determinate sentence already. But he is in Mississippi now. We know that these new YOPH will happen at the California prison they are housed at. But he is stuck out of state. Does anyone know anything specific that can be done to get him back to California so he will be able to get his hearing?

pj663
12-07-2013, 01:20 PM
He's part of cdcr so they will identify who would qualify for the sb260.

danssugarmomma
12-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Obviously they will identify who will qualify for it. Just saying that is nonsense. The question is: how does he get transfered back now in preparation for his hearing?

pj663
12-09-2013, 08:14 AM
danssugarmomma

If you been reading then you would know that there is no specifics. In my earlier post they still have yet to finalize anything. Your question was Does anyone know anything specific that can be done to get him back to California. If he is eligible for parole consideration under the YOPH guidelines, even if he is a determinant sentenced prisoner, the BPH will identify his case and schedule a hearing for him as well as provide an attorney. The hearings will be held in all california prisons where inmates are affected by this new bill. Will they transport him back to cali? Considering that the parole hearing are held here I dont see why he wouldnt be transported back. You can try submitting a letter to the CDCR director of adult supervision. Let them know that your love one qualify under the sb260 and that he is in Miss. If you need any assistance please p.m me.

danssugarmomma
12-13-2013, 11:45 AM
So when is the December executive BoPH meeting?

ms.garcia.
12-13-2013, 01:18 PM
The BPH held the meeting on monday the 9th. If you would like to know what was discussed you can go to the BPH website, scroll down and on the right hand side there is information under YOPH (SB260). Click on the links, this is the same information they handed out in the packet if you attened in person. They stated that there are three phases. 1. persons with already scheduled hearing will be going starting Jan (this is already posted), 2. persons with life-terms, 3. person with determinates. I understand this is huge but we must be patient. There are already 745 (they changed numbers so I just listed the least of what they stated) person that have been identified and will be going to board within the next 18 months. Each person will receive a packet and notification.

pj663
12-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Ms. Garcia thank you so much for pointing us in the right direction:) This information should answer our questions. I know that we all have been patient some of us for years but let's keep our heads up and look to 2014!!!

Chapter 312 Youth Offender Sentencing (SB 260) (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/YOPH/Chapter%20312%20(SB%20260)%20Youth%20Offender%20Se ntencing%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf)

Youth Offender Characteristics (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/YOPH/December%202013%20Board%20Training%20-%20Youth%20Offender%20Characteristics.pdf)

ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTIVE NO: 2013-07 (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/YOPH/AD%202013-07%20(Draft).pdf)

Form to contest disqualification as a “youth offender”
under California Penal Code section 3051. (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/YOPH/Form%20to%20contest%20BPH%20YO%20disqualification. pdf)

Mschristian13
01-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Any new news?

thayacnme
01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
The first hearing under SB260 was held on the 7th and he was granted parole!! This is very positive!

ahtiannasmom
01-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know if the MEPD changes automaticlly under this new law? For example, sentenced 25 to life. Mepd was set for 2034 before the new law. He was sentenced in 1999 but has been in since 1997. Thank you for your help.

thayacnme
01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I think but not positive his new mepd would be at his 25th year of incarceration

thayacnme
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Any idea when the inmates will be receiving official notice that they are eligible and a hearing date has been set? Also, how soon before your parole hearing will my husband go for his psych eval since he's never had to have one?
Anyone????

ahtiannasmom
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
From what ive heard, they will be notified when they are eligible either by their counselor or through mail.

pj663
01-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Families,

Every month the cdcr produces a list of those who are going before board. Below is the list for february. PLEASE! Keep in mind that July 2015 is the dealine for all those who qualify to be seen by the parole. we are all anxious especially our love ones patience is key:)

During the Month of February, 2014
Qualified Youth Offenders – Suitability Hearings CDCR number
Inmate name
County of Commitment
Institution
Date of Hearing
P-10318
Mendoza, Michael
Orange
CMC
2/4/2014
H-62403
Vaesau, John
San Francisco
SATF
2/4/2014
D-94234
Cox, Levert
Los Angeles
ASP
2/5/2014
E-09876
Martinez, Adolfo
Los Angeles
VSP
2/5/2014
D-52770
Akins, Randy
Los Angeles
CMF
2/6/2014
T-30385
Camacho, Ricky Ruben
Los Angeles
ASP
2/6/2014
H-90256
Henderson, Jackie Aaron
Sacramento
VSP
2/6/2014
K-09073
Mora, Hector Moveth
Los Angeles
ASP
2/6/2014
J-69251
Richardson, Anthony
Los Angeles
SOL
2/6/2014
D-71783
Sewell, Darren
Alameda
CMF
2/6/2014
W-17077
Guy, Jamesetta
Madera
CCWF
2/7/2014
J-80054
Manuel, Rondale Davone
Los Angeles
CMC
2/7/2014
T-70452
Sanchez, Carlos
Orange
CAL
2/11/2014
K-00467
Roe, David
Los Angles
MCSP
2/12/2014
C-64338
Flores, Carlos Eugene
Riverside
CVSP
2/12/2014
H-07346
Johnson, Jermaine
Fresno
DVI
2/12/2014
E-62515
Allen, William
Los Angeles
FSP
2/14/2014
E-28742
Al-Qaadir, Fahim Najeeb
Contra Costa
FSP
2/20/2014
D-16449
Landry, Samuel
San Francisco
LAC
2/20/2014
C-00652
McNeal, Keitho Loman
Los Angeles
DVI
2/20/2014
C-50120
Jackson, Michael Dwayne
Los Angeles
CMC
2/21/2014
W-56802
Creer, Shawnsae Nicole
Los Angeles
CCWF
2/21/2014
H-73306
Estabillo, Wilfredo C.
San Mateo
SATF
2/25/2014
D-10468
Payan, Jesus
Los Angeles
COR
2/26/2014
E-45184
Sharp, Raymond Michael
San Bernardino
SATF
2/26/2014
K-14664
James, Brian Michael
Los Angeles
COR
2/26/2014
K-23512
Jaramillo, Leon Antonio
San Bernardino
CVSP
2/26/2014
J-87662
Liang, Roger S.
Los Angeles
SATF
2/26/2014
J-92002
Reyes, Christian
Los Angeles
ASP
2/27/2014

Just me Mom
01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Any idea when the inmates will be receiving official notice that they are eligible and a hearing date has been set? Also, how soon before your parole hearing will my husband go for his psych eval since he's never had to have one?
Anyone????

My son just had his 1st psych eval two weeks ago ..

hiscoqui
01-21-2014, 02:32 PM
can you send me the link where i can ge this every month

thanks

Families,

Every month the cdcr produces a list of those who are going before board. Below is the list for february. PLEASE! Keep in mind that July 2015 is the dealine for all those who qualify to be seen by the parole. we are all anxious especially our love ones patience is key:)

During the Month of February, 2014
Qualified Youth Offenders – Suitability Hearings CDCR number
Inmate name
County of Commitment
Institution
Date of Hearing
P-10318
Mendoza, Michael
Orange
CMC
2/4/2014
H-62403
Vaesau, John
San Francisco
SATF
2/4/2014
D-94234
Cox, Levert
Los Angeles
ASP
2/5/2014
E-09876
Martinez, Adolfo
Los Angeles
VSP
2/5/2014
D-52770
Akins, Randy
Los Angeles
CMF
2/6/2014
T-30385
Camacho, Ricky Ruben
Los Angeles
ASP
2/6/2014
H-90256
Henderson, Jackie Aaron
Sacramento
VSP
2/6/2014
K-09073
Mora, Hector Moveth
Los Angeles
ASP
2/6/2014
J-69251
Richardson, Anthony
Los Angeles
SOL
2/6/2014
D-71783
Sewell, Darren
Alameda
CMF
2/6/2014
W-17077
Guy, Jamesetta
Madera
CCWF
2/7/2014
J-80054
Manuel, Rondale Davone
Los Angeles
CMC
2/7/2014
T-70452
Sanchez, Carlos
Orange
CAL
2/11/2014
K-00467
Roe, David
Los Angles
MCSP
2/12/2014
C-64338
Flores, Carlos Eugene
Riverside
CVSP
2/12/2014
H-07346
Johnson, Jermaine
Fresno
DVI
2/12/2014
E-62515
Allen, William
Los Angeles
FSP
2/14/2014
E-28742
Al-Qaadir, Fahim Najeeb
Contra Costa
FSP
2/20/2014
D-16449
Landry, Samuel
San Francisco
LAC
2/20/2014
C-00652
McNeal, Keitho Loman
Los Angeles
DVI
2/20/2014
C-50120
Jackson, Michael Dwayne
Los Angeles
CMC
2/21/2014
W-56802
Creer, Shawnsae Nicole
Los Angeles
CCWF
2/21/2014
H-73306
Estabillo, Wilfredo C.
San Mateo
SATF
2/25/2014
D-10468
Payan, Jesus
Los Angeles
COR
2/26/2014
E-45184
Sharp, Raymond Michael
San Bernardino
SATF
2/26/2014
K-14664
James, Brian Michael
Los Angeles
COR
2/26/2014
K-23512
Jaramillo, Leon Antonio
San Bernardino
CVSP
2/26/2014
J-87662
Liang, Roger S.
Los Angeles
SATF
2/26/2014
J-92002
Reyes, Christian
Los Angeles
ASP
2/27/2014

Just me Mom
01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
can you send me the link where i can ge this every month

thanks

Could you send me the link also

ms.garcia.
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
The monthly YOPH list is located on the BPH website. You will locate it on the bottom right hand side under YOPH (260). Here is the link.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/

hiscoqui
01-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Would it show anywhere, if the inamtes that have gone to the parole hearings were granted parole? I know there was only one....

pj663
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/PSHR/PSHR_Week_of_January_13_2014.pdf

If you look under PC 3041.2 all reviews are being granted which is fantastic news!!! Patience families!!! It's coming!!

hiscoqui
01-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Thats great to hear. I had one more question me and my man want to know. So he is under the impression that since he qualifies for this youth parole hearing he has to wait till he does the 15 years he needs to do. Which will be August 2015. Will he get a hearing by the deadline which is JUly 2015 or will he get a hearing after hes completed the 15 years in August

thanks

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/PSHR/PSHR_Week_of_January_13_2014.pdf

If you look under PC 3041.2 all reviews are being granted which is fantastic news!!! Patience families!!! It's coming!!

pj663
01-22-2014, 03:51 PM
In order for him to qualify at 15 years he would have to be serving a determinate sentence. I had many questions regarding this rule because currently all lifers are serving at 85 percent. if that is the case 15 yrs at 85 percent 12.7 years so close to 13 yrs and not 15. There are still many questions that are unanswered and I really believe that they are changing and improving as time goes. Be sure to ask your husband if he has a determinate sentence or indeterminate which is for example:15-life. 15yrs is the determinate sentence life is indeterminate. The life sentence is the controlling sentence therefore with the life being attached to the sentence he would have to serve 20 yrs. I hope this helps. Be well.

hiscoqui
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
His is determinate sentence, no L to it, were just wondering if he will get a hearing by the deadline or he would get it after he has served the 15 they are saying he would need to serve.

In order for him to qualify at 15 years he would have to be serving a determinate sentence. I had many questions regarding this rule because currently all lifers are serving at 85 percent. if that is the case 15 yrs at 85 percent 12.7 years so close to 13 yrs and not 15. There are still many questions that are unanswered and I really believe that they are changing and improving as time goes. Be sure to ask your husband if he has a determinate sentence or indeterminate which is for example:15-life. 15yrs is the determinate sentence life is indeterminate. The life sentence is the controlling sentence therefore with the life being attached to the sentence he would have to serve 20 yrs. I hope this helps. Be well.

pj663
01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Forgot to add those who qualify under the sb260 will have a hearing before July 2015. I take it that in some hearings they will meet with the inmate to explain to the them the process. So say for example they have to serve twenty years but so far has served only 15? In the new bill they have to meet with all inmates who qualify under the sb260 6 years before their parole hearing. So if he hasnt completed the 20 yrs they will still meet with him to tell him what to expect when he does has a hearing, what they are looking to receive from him such as self help courses, his discipline record during his time etc. If he hasnt taken any courses they may encourage him to do so etc etc.

pj663
01-22-2014, 04:03 PM
He should have it by the deadline of July 2015. This is wonderful news for you:) Be sure to help him prepare now.

thayacnme
01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
It looks as if half of those who've already had their hearing in January are being granted parole. I'm wondering what their disciplinary record looks like and/or their self help programs? Did they have a private attorney? How can we find these things out?
Just me mom... was this your son's first Eval ever? Has he received any notification of a hearing date or just had an eval?

Just me Mom
01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
It looks as if half of those who've already had their hearing in January are being granted parole. I'm wondering what their disciplinary record looks like and/or their self help programs? Did they have a private attorney? How can we find these things out?
Just me mom... was this your son's first Eval ever? Has he received any notification of a hearing date or just had an eval?

State Eval is what he had he stated he would have another one in 90 days

pj663
01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
I dont think the public is entitled to knowing the inmates personal pursuits like self help programs or their personal discipline record. Unless he was denied parole and he challenge the decesion in courts only then ( And then again maybe not) would his personal info be available to the public. The cdcr can only provide his or her's parole date hearing and the results as to why it was approved, denied waivered.

thayacnme
03-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Anything new with SB 260 anyone? Have any loved ones gone to their hearing or received their eligibility letter? Any psych evals? My husband has heard nothing! His attorney did notify the Board that he's representing my hubby but don't know if that will bring his name up on their list any sooner?. Just wish we had some progress.

ahtiannasmom
04-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Hello ladies:) I been thinking about something that has been bothering me for a while now. Yes once granted parole the governor is "suppose" to give great weight when allowing parole but how are we sure that he is in fact going to do just that? Its known that the governor refuses to let anyone with the L behind their sentence be set free, so how do we know that this new bill isn't just to pacify us and our loved ones? Am I the only negative nancy lol..I apologize but its just something ive been thinking.

pj663
04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Hey Debbie Downer!!!Lol I'm Kidding:)

Actually Jerry Brown has affirmed 82 percent of parole board decisions about 1400 lifers all together. Also keep in mind that this process is slightly diffrent because they are dealing with a group who has committed a crime at a young age therefore they have to consider mitigating factors etc. Your love one can always appeal the decesion.

ShellyUK
04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone, my man has just found out he qualifies for the youth offender criteria - SB260. As happy as this makes us, we are also worried. We weren't excepting this till next year - don't know why, just didn't. He hasn't had the chance to get his GED which he feels will go against him, he feels he has to rush to get letters of recommendation for jobs, support letters from family & friends, correspondence courses - everything and he wanted to get his own lawyer and psychologist so he didn't have to go in with a state appointed one. As you can imagine they weren't very helpful when he first got locked up. I'm just writing this coz I feel I've been given the best birthday present ever but someone is going to nick it at any moment and I don't want to put my downer on him, he's got enough to deal with :(

thayacnme
04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
How long has he been in for? Is he a lifer? Did he just receive the letter from the Board of Parole? Did they give him a hearing date?

pj663
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Hey everyone, my man has just found out he qualifies for the youth offender criteria - SB260. As happy as this makes us, we are also worried. We weren't excepting this till next year - don't know why, just didn't. He hasn't had the chance to get his GED which he feels will go against him, he feels he has to rush to get letters of recommendation for jobs, support letters from family & friends, correspondence courses - everything and he wanted to get his own lawyer and psychologist so he didn't have to go in with a state appointed one. As you can imagine they weren't very helpful when he first got locked up. I'm just writing this coz I feel I've been given the best birthday present ever but someone is going to nick it at any moment and I don't want to put my downer on him, he's got enough to deal with :(

When he receives his letter he will have 90 days from the date of the letter to prepare for his hearing. Letters of support from family and friends is a good start also plans for parole is very important to have. Plans for parole would consist of where he would live, plans for employment, continued programs like aa meetings etc, and family support. Finally here is a link where he can take various programs for $35.00. per course from offender responsibilty to how to gain employment:

http://inmatelifeskills.com/correspondence-courses-for-inmates/correspondence-courses-a-way-to-self-improvement/

I hope this helps!!

ShellyUK
05-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you pj663, I will let him know. Was Googling A LOT last night and have sent him some stuff from goodwill.org, shieldsforfamily.org who have a partner site with Jericho training centre and some info from ex-offenders.net. I don't know if any of it is going to help but I can't sit here doing nothing and hey cant hurt having to much info.
Got to stay positive, and again thank you so much for the link really appreciate it :)

ShellyUK
05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
How long has he been in for? Is he a lifer? Did he just receive the letter from the Board of Parole? Did they give him a hearing date?

He's been in 22 years, he received a CDC 128B form from a counsellor?! No real idea what that means. He's waiting to hear a date.
This stuff is all confusing for me, when it comes to prison ways things are done so different in England :)

thayacnme
05-01-2014, 03:32 PM
My husband finally received notice that he does qualify as a youth offender!
Progress people... we're making progress!
What happens next? The notice was just that, a notice, but no hearing date or anything. What's next?

ShellyUK
05-02-2014, 11:11 AM
My husband finally received notice that he does qualify as a youth offender!
Progress people... we're making progress!
What happens next? The notice was just that, a notice, but no hearing date or anything. What's next?

Hi, congratulations. Sounds like your at the same point as us. My man got his letter about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what happens now but when I hear anything I will let you know.
Progress and positive thoughts my friend, stay strong
:thumbsup: :boogie: :)

ShellyUK
05-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Hello thayacnme.
I heard from my man today and he has been told his hearing will be in December. He also said others have been told December, hope this helps and you hear soon :)

thayacnme
05-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh shellyuk... I'm so happy! Private message me and I'll give you some info I have. Does your man have a determinant sentence or Life?

pj663
05-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Great news for the both of you!! Shelly your man has enough time to take a few courses and get things in place. I wish you the best of luck!! Take care.

thayacnme
05-06-2014, 12:48 PM
PJ663...Now that my husband received his qualifying letter, do you know what's next? Do you know how long until he should receive a hearing date?

pj663
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
I would think that his date for his hearing would follow since he has confirmation that he qualifies. So I would keep an eye on the date. This is progress:) Great news!! Cant wait to hear my baby say those magic words of I got my letter!!!

thayacnme
05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
You'll hear real soon! I do know that they are notifying everyone who has served over ten years so my husband git notified. Yours will soon follow...good luck to you too!

hiscoqui
05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
we were excited about this becaue my man does qualify for this, and got so heartbroken last week. My man received a letter that he didint qualify because he did pick up another case after 18 which malice of forethought was involved. Were going to fight it, hes going to send that paper to appeal it , because his charge was just an assault on inmate. no where in his papers or charges say anything with malice of forethought any weapons nothing like that. EVen his conselor says it must be a mistake!! We had our hopes up and now we feel like that hope was all taken away. Were gonna keep praying that he wins that appeal and gets a hearing.

pj663
05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
It has to be a mistake be sure and fight the case here is the form that he should fill out also he should send a letter explaining the case. That's ridiculous.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/docs/YOPH/Form%20to%20contest%20BPH%20YO%20disqualification. pdf

pj663
05-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Question: How long after did this assault happen? Was it while was fighting his case that got him a life sentence? Or was it long after???

pj663
05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
One more thing ( Just trying to help) Find out the penal code on his assualt because Mayhem is under penal code 203 and 205 which is mailice and forethought. That's what you dont want. Assault with deadly weapon is 245 (a) 1 which is Any person who commits an assault upon the person of another with a deadly weapon or instrument other than a firearm or by any means of force likely to produce great bodily injur. Simple assualt is under p.c 240:

that you "willfully" acted in a way that would likely result in the "application of force" to another,
that you were aware that your "act" would likely result in that application of force, and
that when you "willfully acted" you had the ability to follow through with the act that would cause that contact.
Mayhem is what you dont want because it is Mailice and forethought.

thayacnme
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Pj663: Did your man get his letter yet? We still haven't received a hearing date yet. It's all just a waiting game. I heard the determinant sentenced inmates won't be scheduled til next year. :( I pray it's sooner.

pj663
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
No letter yet however we have a private attorney and he is going to try and seek relief now through the courts. A few cases came out in the last month showing that the sb260 is a safety net for juvenile however in light of miller and graham the original sentencing courts have the obligation of resentencing the juvenile to a fair sentence. After we read the case it was his attorney decesion to seek relief in his orignal court. If that fails or if he receives his letter and date for parole than we are covering all bases. My love one was sentence to a flat life sentence plus 19 years. A flat life sentence is a old way of sentencing and it required that he serve 7 calendar years before seeking parole. The used the sentencing scheme and had him to do his determinate sentence of 19 years first then the flat life sentence because they knew that he served the flat life he would have been before the parole back in 2005. He is in his 17 year without ever getting a doc hearing so yeah we fighting and we going hard ( they cant run this time).

thayacnme
05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Is great to know you have other avenues to seek as well. A friend of ours was sentenced also to 25 +L so he has to serve the 25 first before ever being eligible to go to board. Crazy! My husband had a private attorney also and I'm hoping that's gets him to his hearing sooner than the average but do far... nothing! How soon after his eligibility letter will he get the hearing date?

pj663
05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Your friend was sentence diffrent than my love one. He has life plus 19 yrs. They ran his sentence boleg so that he serve the 19 yrs first than the flat life ( 7 yrs) Again they knew that if he would have serve the life sentence first he would have been before parole years ago. We're hoping that they board will see that he has served 7 plus 9 addtional years therefore he should be getting a letter any day. In the meantime he has completed all his certificates in criminal thinking, offender responsibilty, employment plus he attends AA meetings at his facility. I manage to gather the family and get support letters and three job offers on paper plus his parole plans in detail and on paper so we are ready for them whenever they call us. I know he is getting on edge I think we all are but we have to remain focus.

I would think that the date before the parole would happen after the intial letter qualifying him. Just a thought love> I think we both need a drink lol!! Hang in there.

thayacnme
05-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Lmao! Soooo true! My husband has his trade certs and GED and college thru correspondence plus all the self help, self awareness, etc the prisons have offered and he's done every ACCI workbook they offer. We're hoping the board will recognize that he's done this all on his own. Most determinant sentence inmates don't since they are just waiting on a date.
This is so agonizing but we've been through a lot of waiting periods over the years so this too shall pass!

hiscoqui
05-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Great news this morning, he just got the crono that there was a mistake and he is eligible for Parole hearing!!! Were so happy, thank God!!! So now we have to prepare for this hearing he said maybe in 9 months, who knows as long as he gets a hearing date. This will be his first time going to the parole board. He got an indeterminate sentence for 30 years, next year in August will be his 15 years thathe has to give them. If his case gets granted, he will have to just serve the 10 yrs he picked up for the new crime. He said he might just do 7 of that. Were so happy!!
On another note since he has neer gone to a hearing were going to have to prepare for all that hie has some certificates his GED but i know he needs more things... do you ladies know any websites where he can take some courses... he has given me a few buti cant find those and theya re not for california inmates. Also for support letters what are you even suppose to write? is it why we think he should be home?

thayacnme
05-15-2014, 11:51 AM
OMG! THAT'S FABULOUS NEWS! See, all your hard work has paid off. This is great. Finally our guys will have their second chance in life as the man that they've grown into. I'm so happy for you...and me. LOL
What prison is he in?

pj663
05-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Great news this morning, he just got the crono that there was a mistake and he is eligible for Parole hearing!!! Were so happy, thank God!!! So now we have to prepare for this hearing he said maybe in 9 months, who knows as long as he gets a hearing date. This will be his first time going to the parole board. He got an indeterminate sentence for 30 years, next year in August will be his 15 years thathe has to give them. If his case gets granted, he will have to just serve the 10 yrs he picked up for the new crime. He said he might just do 7 of that. Were so happy!!
On another note since he has neer gone to a hearing were going to have to prepare for all that hie has some certificates his GED but i know he needs more things... do you ladies know any websites where he can take some courses... he has given me a few buti cant find those and theya re not for california inmates. Also for support letters what are you even suppose to write? is it why we think he should be home?

Yassss!!! Who did he contact to make the corrections? Please let me know!!

pj663
05-15-2014, 01:02 PM
http://inmatelifeskills.com/

Great place to get certficates and I personally know sherry the director she is fantastic!! She works with with alot of inmates at Corcoran so she is familiar with what is needed certificate wise. Let me know if I can help:) Cheers ladies!!

hiscoqui
05-16-2014, 11:21 AM
thank you... Hes in Ironwood

OMG! THAT'S FABULOUS NEWS! See, all your hard work has paid off. This is great. Finally our guys will have their second chance in life as the man that they've grown into. I'm so happy for you...and me. LOL
What prison is he in?

hiscoqui
05-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Well his conselor personally knew the lady that sent him the chrono that said he was ineligible shes there in ironwood, i think just a clerk. So he wrote her a letter telling her his charges for this last crime and how did she come up with malice of forethought, because he belived it was an error. So she sent a notice back that she spoke to Case management, and they reviewed his file and corrected the chrono. So he didnt even had to file an appeal.

Yassss!!! Who did he contact to make the corrections? Please let me know!!

thayacnme
05-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Case Records is moving faster these days. They've already listed June's youth offender hearing schedule on the cdcr website and it's barely the middle of May.
Still waiting for my husband to receive his date...

thayacnme
05-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Anyone have any new info on the SB260 saga?

Anyone have a determinant sentenced loved one who has received a letter and/or hearing date yet?

I'm thirsty for new information!!!

hiscoqui
05-22-2014, 03:54 PM
All we got was taht he was eligible and he'll et another letter with a hearing date. I send him the lists every month of all the new parole hearings and then i send them the results of all those hearings.

Anyone have any new info on the SB260 saga?

Anyone have a determinant sentenced loved one who has received a letter and/or hearing date yet?

I'm thirsty for new information!!!

thayacnme
05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Hahaha. I do the same thing.:) I heard some from January have been released! This is so great. I just wish mine would get the letter with the hearing date now. Did your guy say when he is expecting the next letter?

maniacswifey619
05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
my love's brother is going up to board on this bill in may 2015. Pray for him. He's been locked up for almost 20 years. Maybe he'll get that 2nd chance

thayacnme
05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
We're praying for all of them! Good luck! My hubby is going on 23 years- since he was 17. He's been in prison longer than he's been out on the streets! Thank God for sb260 and giving juveniles a second chsnce!
Still waiting for that letter with the hearing date...

Milyn111
05-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Wow it's such a blessing to hear that many of us are hearing good news! My husband was given a letter stating that he qualifies!!! He received his letter in mid April. Now we are just waiting for a hearing date.... My husband has a determinate sentence & has already done +15 years.

Once your loved one was qualified & notified by letter, how long after did he receive a letter with a hearing date? Good luck to everyone

thayacnme
05-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Milyn111: I have no clue when he will get the letter with the hearing date. I'm waiting everyday for my husband to tell me he's received it!! Mine too has a determinant sentence; however, they aren't going to be scheduling then until January.

thayacnme
05-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Happy Memorial Day everyone! I went to visit my hubby this weekend and he informed me that he won't be getting another letter from the Board - his counselor will notify him of the hearing date. So I'm waiting for a letter to arrive in the mail but it doesn't go that way. One way or another, he's getting a hearing and I guess that's what matters.

thayacnme
06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
The youth offenders are beginning to receive an informational Q&A packet on SB260 put out my fair sentencing for youth. In it says that if, while incarcerated, they have picked up an additional crime and received additional time, that they are required to serve that time, but my sources have told me this is not true. If they are found suitable for parole, that's it, they are eligible for immediate release (other than the Govn's review). My hubby has a determinant sentence.

hiscoqui
06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
hi I dont understand wht you wrote here.... The inamtes are receiving q&a packets? My man picked up an additional 13 years and he saying he would still have to serve that, even if he gets granted parole for the contrilling offense. So your hearing they dont?? OMG i hope not

The youth offenders are beginning to receive an informational Q&A packet on SB260 put out my fair sentencing for youth. In it says that if, while incarcerated, they have picked up an additional crime and received additional time, that they are required to serve that time, but my sources have told me this is not true. If they are found suitable for parole, that's it, they are eligible for immediate release (other than the Govn's review). My hubby has a determinant sentence.

thayacnme
06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm saying when this issue first came up, the answer was no, they don't. I'm not sure about Lifers and how the time is calculated, but for the determinant sentenced inmates, our understanding was if they were found suitable for parole, they would be released immediately. Now Elizabeth Calvin at fairsentencingforyouth.org has sent out an sb260 packet explaining the bill to all youth offenders and in it states they will have to do the "picked up" time. Maybe it's a case by case situation, up to the board of parole. I'm not sure so that is why I'm reaching out on here wondering if anyone knew anything.

Hiscoqui:Where is your LO?

hiscoqui
06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
My hunny is in Ironwood hes not a lifer he has a determinate sentence hes been in 14 yrs this august since he was 16 :( hes 31 yrs old now. Anyway if he does get granted parole for the cotrolling offense i guess he would have to do the 13 yrs he picked up :( but its better than the rest of 20+ he still has to do as of now. I did send my hunny the updated sb260 that i found on their website, but i didnt see anything aboout new picked up time, is it on the site? So it does state on there that they would have to serve the picked up time?? IS there a definite answer somewhere? or do you think htey would have to tellt hem once they go to their hearing?

I'm saying when this issue first came up, the answer was no, they don't. I'm not sure about Lifers and how the time is calculated, but for the determinant sentenced inmates, our understanding was if they were found suitable for parole, they would be released immediately. Now Elizabeth Calvin at fairsentencingforyouth.org has sent out an sb260 packet explaining the bill to all youth offenders and in it states they will have to do the "picked up" time. Maybe it's a case by case situation, up to the board of parole. I'm not sure so that is why I'm reaching out on here wondering if anyone knew anything.

Hiscoqui:Where is your LO?

pj663
06-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Just to clear up some questions regarding the SB260:

Questions on whether or not a prisoner is qualified for consideration under SB 260 Youth Opportunity Parole Hearings bill:

1.Those prisoners who were already in the BPH line up for hearings between January 1 and October 1, 2014, were evaluated by the BPH legal staff and a determination made as to their eligibility for a SB 260 hearing.

2.If you were or are scheduled for a hearing in this time frame and have been notified that you are not 260 eligible or have not been notified as to your eligibility, you can file an appeal to have this status reviewed by the BPH via a special BPH form available from your counselor.

3. If your hearing is slated for some time after October 1 or you are a determinate sentenced prisoner eligible for parole consideration under SB 260 and you have not yet been notified of your eligibility status, you can appeal that determination or request a determination via the 602 process. For those going to board from October onward their 260 status will be determined by CDCR Classification Unit.

Please remember if you are a determinate sentenced prisoner, your hearing will likely be in the last segment of time before the deadline for 260 implementation, probably between January and July, 2015.

thayacnme
06-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Everyone: I just wanted to vent that I'm frustrated with the "stand still" it feels we are in. There' s been no new information, no news, no meeting with his counselor, no psych eval, no nothing lately. Even CDCR's website didn't post May's board meeting discussion items.
On the bright side, we've made it all the way to June. I remember September 16, 2013 when SB260 was signed. Now look how far we've come! But still, my husband and myself are at a stand still these days.
Thanks for letting me vent!

pj663
06-10-2014, 04:24 PM
I'm with you my love I feel your frustration:( Keep in mind when looking at a calendar your love one will get a notice 90 days in advance of his hearing therefore if he has a hearing in October he would have his notice in July if it's November then August and if it's december then september. If he doesnt get a letter by september he may not be seen until 2015. I left some information last week explaing those who are determinate. They probabley will be seen between January and July 2015.

As for my love one he rolled his dice and petition his review via Habeaus Corpus. His review was granted last friday and sent to the Attorney General:) While I'm excited that his review is granted I know that they can easily shoot him down so we continue to stay focus and not get our hopes up. If that fails the the Case Managment department at his facility did send him a letter that he qualifies ubder the sb260 and a letter with his date for the parole will be sent so for now we wait. I havent said anything because I know that AG have the upper hand thus trying to bury our hopes. So we're here just waiting with no unrelaistic expectations. Hang in there love:)

thayacnme
06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I guess "CONGRATULATIONS" is in order!!! At least you have two different possibilities of release. You've got a back up plan!! I hope it all works out for you guys.

Hopefully, we'll get some new information soon and this plateau will come to an end.

Keep your head up!

happy907442014
06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
My nephew was given JLWOP PLUS 40 years, will he be able to get this new SB260 for his sentence?

thayacnme
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Not sure but I think he should go for the ab109.

ms.garcia.
06-11-2014, 09:49 PM
happy907442014 your nephew should fall under SB9 if he was under the age of 18 at the time of his crime. If he qualifies and has a new sentencing hearing and given any number of years to life (possibility of parole) then he should qualify for SB260. Please know that there are certain factors that would exclude your nephew form qualifying for either SB9 and SB260. Although those factors apply to very few as per stated from HRW it still something you need to be aware of. Here is a link you should read regarding SB9.

http://fairsentencingforyouth.org/legislation/senate-bill-9-california-fair-sentencing-for-youth/

Hope this helps.

thayacnme
06-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Yes, SB9. My bad. :o

thayacnme
06-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Sadly, i have nothing new to report. :( Anyone else have anything exciting happen regarding 260? I wonder when my husband will get his psych eval? Will he be notified of his hearing date first then the eval to follow? Or vice versa?

pj663
06-24-2014, 02:21 PM
I believe you said your husband has a determinate sentence therefore he would be among those under the last half of this supervision. My understanding is between Jan-july 2015. If you feel that he should be seen before that time you have the right to inquire about it through the case managment dept at his facility.

thayacnme
06-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Yes he does. Oh don't remind me. Seems so far away! Lol lol.
But seriously, we can request to maybe be fit in earlier? I'll have him contact case mgmnt! I thought we just had to sit around and wait. See, there's something to pull us out this dry spell.

thayacnme
07-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I have almost good news but I'm confused. My husband notified me that another inmate at his facility who has a determinate sentence was put on the calendar for jan 15th. the kicker is that the inmate who was put on the calendar is not eligible until Feb 2015 and my husband has surpassed his eligibility date by 8 years. I mean maybe my husband will be notified any day now but I feel he shouldve been before that guy.

ShellyUK
07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I have almost good news but I'm confused. My husband notified me that another inmate at his facility who has a determinate sentence was put on the calendar for jan 15th. the kicker is that the inmate who was put on the calendar is not eligible until Feb 2015 and my husband has surpassed his eligibility date by 8 years. I mean maybe my husband will be notified any day now but I feel he shouldve been before that guy.

Well done with your 'almost' good news, mines waiting to hear any day. A few of the guys who got their notices after him have already been given their dates. He has been saying 'maybe next week'

If you go to http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/BOPH/hearing_schedule.html it will tell you when a parole hearing is going to be.

thayacnme
07-20-2014, 01:07 PM
We keep saying "maybe any day now".
The Board of Parole Hearings said they will be prioritizing the determinates by facility. So I'm just thinking why would they give a guy who has not even met his eligibility date yet a hearing and my husband is 7 years past his and he hasn't rec'd his hearing date yet. Maybe any day now?

pj663
07-21-2014, 08:42 AM
If you feel that your husband should have a date you can inquire about it. Mines had to do the same thing and he recieved his Chrono 128 saying that he qualifies after that his counselor said he should be getting a date for the board. Right now his case is the courts so it's a waiting game believe me.

thayacnme
07-21-2014, 10:17 PM
He qualifies. He got that letter. I'm just baffled that this other guy who hasn't even met his 15 years yet would get a date, when my husband who is well past his 15 years hasn't yet. They are in the same facility on the same yard, both with determinate sentences. This guy has done 14 years and my hubby has done 23.

pj663
07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
What was your husband oringinal sentence. Was it 15 years??

thayacnme
07-22-2014, 10:37 AM
53 years. Sentenced in 1992

pj663
07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
The thing is this........

This youth offender program is a just an opputunity to be release not a given. Even though it states that a determinate sentence would be eligible for parole at 15 years its not a gaurantee therefore your husband original sentence of 53 years is still valid until they review him before the board and find that he is fit to be release back into society. Technically your husband has a defacto sentence. Anything that is 50 plus years is defacto. If you are baffled your husband can write them and inquire about the process and explain that he has a 50 plus sentence that is equvilant of a lwop sentence therefore he should be before the parole before a person who has done 14 years. One would think that your husband would be first because of the years but again every case is diffrent. if this inmate has 14 years in then 2015 will put him at 15 years. Also remember that the majority is doing 85 percent of their time so techincally this inmate is 2.5 years past his chance to parole at 15 years not exactly 8 years like your husband but still they are both determinate sentences.

thayacnme
07-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I understand completely that it is just an opportunity, not a given. I just would've thought mine would be put on the calendar sooner.

thayacnme
07-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Ok everyone, I have great news! My husband finally received his hearing date (first week of Feb). I've worried, whined, cried, educated myself, learned, and prayed and it's all paid off. We have a hearing date!
I'm very grateful for all your support and advice.

ShellyUK
07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Ok everyone, I have great news! My husband finally received his hearing date (first week of Feb). I've worried, whined, cried, educated myself, learned, and prayed and it's all paid off. We have a hearing date!
I'm very grateful for all your support and advice.

Congratulations :boogie: Good luck, hope it all goes well for you both :)

pj663
07-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Fantastic news!!! So now you know the date you will have plenty of time to gather certificates, support letters, and a parole pre-release plan. This is great news and I'm sure more will follow:)

thayacnme
07-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Yes, now we know! Finally! We've been gathering all info since the law passed. Lol. Next step is his Olsen review with the counselor the the psych eval, then the attorney visit, and after that it's off to the hearing. Who knows, this might be the best Valentines Day ever for me!
Thanks for everyone's support, encouragement and advice.

pj663
07-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Yes my love ones O review is this thursday we are gathering all that we can get plus since his peition has been granted much work needs to be completed withing the next two weeks. If we can gain his freedom sooner that's what we we're going to do:) Cheers and many blessings to you both:O

Patsgrl
08-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Ok if someone got a 33 yr sentence and has been in for 10 years and they qualify for the law when do they come up for a hearing?

thayacnme
08-04-2014, 06:59 AM
PJ663...I hope the O review went well. Any news?

Milyn111
08-31-2014, 12:32 AM
God is good! My husband was called in last Wednesday for a psych evaluation & was given a hearing date, which is in the first week of February. Feeling blessed & hopeful.

My hubby has been down for 17 years now & has a determinate sentence.

ollienkcc
08-31-2014, 01:33 AM
Im happy for you! What prison is he at?

thayacnme
08-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Milyn111...

He got his psych eval and hearing date all in one day? My husband was notified of his date back in July (hearing date Jan) and he still hasn't had his pysch eval. He told me yesterday that some have their eval as close as 60 days to the hearing.

Does anyone know when they get the results of the psych eval?

Milyn111
09-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Im happy for you! What prison is he at?

Thank you! He is at CHINO,CIM

Milyn111
09-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Milyn111...

He got his psych eval and hearing date all in one day? My husband was notified of his date back in July (hearing date Jan) and he still hasn't had his pysch eval. He told me yesterday that some have their eval as close as 60 days to the hearing.

Does anyone know when they get the results of the psych eval?

My hubby said "Sacramento will receive a copy of the results in a month & the inmate could possibly receive it in a month or even later, but they will eventually get their copy of the results.

thayacnme
09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Just wanted to mention that we've began September. That means we are one month closer to the hearing date! 126 days to go! I'm so excited!

pj663
09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
So my baby's date is in January:) So blessed and excited beyond words!! We do realize however that we are not out of the woods yet but this is a step in the right direction. Praying that all my families will hear good news this year:):hugme:

laceyrene
09-25-2014, 03:21 PM
My finance received a letter that he was "eligible" for a hearing about 7 months ago. But we have not heard anything about when he should be scheduled a hearing. I have spoken to several different attorneys. From what i understand this is just a big jumbled up mess. He was sentenced to 17 years and has already served 8 years. I am wondering should we expect a hearing date? Since he got a letter i am assuming records department knows what they are talking about. Is there a deadline on when they need take all of the SB260 eligible people to hearings?

pj663
09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
You are correct this is a big mess. We have hundreds who should have dates for a hearing there is also alot of confusions with consultation hearings and Youth Offender Hearings. Case and point my situation....

My love one is a lifer. He's been down 17 years and never had a consultation hearing, Under the parole guidelines every lifer should have a consulation hearing on the 6th prior to their MEPD. Mines did not therefore I believe that the hearing that is set for January cannot be the youth hearing. I think this is his consulation hearing. While were happy that it is in the right direction my love one should have a PAROLE HEARING. The viloated his rights off back. We have much going on including his case in the appeals process so this will be a busy year.

Your love one should have word soon. Did he have a determinate or indeterminate?

thayacnme
10-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Hey! No one has posted in this forum in a month. Lol. What's going on? Doespecially anyone have any news to share?
My husband is scheduled for his hearing in January and still has not received his psych eval. His attorney has inquired and he shold be having it any day now, but I'm scared it will delay his hearing date if he doesn't get it soon. I think it takes about 30 days for the results of that? Am I right?

Just me Mom
10-24-2014, 08:49 AM
My son received his hearing date January 16 2015 .. He was 17 when he went in and has served 16 years already He has had a psych evaluation, or one of them I thought that they were to have two . His attorney should be in contact with im any day now.

thayacnme
10-24-2014, 06:38 PM
My husband is scheduled for January 16th also. How funny! Since my hubby has a determinate sentence he has never had a psych eval. I hear lifers get them every 5 years, but don't quote me on that. My husband's counselor was telling him that he didn't need one, but we knew that to be untrue so we inquired ourselves and yes every youth offender will get one...lifer or determinate.
where is your son again?