View Full Version : Insulin Pump on Visits

katydog
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Hello, my dear friend is surrendering to Bryan soon, and I am hoping to visit her. I think I read that visitors are not allowed to take any medication in with them. I wear an insulin pump for Type 1 diabetes (24 hours a day). Does anyone know if I will be allowed to keep that attached to me when I go to visit her. Also, I normally carry some fast acting sugar with me in case of a low blood sugar. Will I be able to bring that in on a visit, or have access to something there?

holliberry
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes Yes you can wear your pump in but you have to get a paper from your doctor telling them that you have to have. I also wear a pump but I am in California, I have no problems but I don't take in anything with me in case of low blood sugar because they have machine you can but soda's and or candy. Look luck.

katydog
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes Yes you can wear your pump in but you have to get a paper from your doctor telling them that you have to have. I also wear a pump but I am in California, I have no problems but I don't take in anything with me in case of low blood sugar because they have machine you can but soda's and or candy. Look luck.

Thank you Chocolate Drop! I'll start working on getting that letter, and saving my quarters for the vending machines :)

holliberry
04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Your more than welcome. How long have you been a Diabetic? For me it has been 22 years, have been wearing the pump for like 8 years now.

katydog
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Your more than welcome. How long have you been a Diabetic? For me it has been 22 years, have been wearing the pump for like 8 years now.

20 years for me now....10 years on a pump. Doing reasonably well, though there are always lows and highs as I'm sure you well know. Really like the flexibility of pumping, so I was very glad to read your answer. How about you...pump treating you well? So sad to read about the (lack of) treatment it seems that folks with diabetes (and other medical conditions) often receive in prison. Thankfully my friend is not diabetic. This is the first time I've ever known anyone going to prison, and it has already opened my eyes in many ways.

holliberry
04-23-2013, 04:37 PM
I am praying that your friend will be home soon. Your friend is a lucky person to have you standing in her corner. Thank You for that. My Husband is in prison have been since 2002, he will be home 1/2016. Good luck to you and your friend if you need anything else answered please feel free to PM me anytime ok. God bless you. Debbie