View Full Version : Coleman Low FCI

tiggail
06-05-2004, 09:57 PM
:) My husband has been transferred to Coleman Low FCI for his 27 month sentence. I am looking for any information that anyone can share with me about it.
Thanks
Barbara

cjjack
06-05-2004, 09:59 PM
here is a link to a thread with some good information.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39541

Gr8wife
06-09-2004, 04:46 AM
:) My husband has been transferred to Coleman Low FCI for his 27 month sentence. I am looking for any information that anyone can share with me about it.
Thanks
Barbara
Barbara - my husband has been there for close to 9 months now. I have flown out for 3 visits (5 days each) -I can give you lots of info. First Note: A Guy named Austin is usually in charge once you get inside the visitor area -He is a GREAT correctional officer. For the most part - I made several friends there while on my visits. Do NOT try and visit on the week -end if you can avoid it. I was parked at 3 am Saturday morning and Sunday morning to be one of the 1st people in to visit. (when coming from California with a 3 yr old and 4 mo old) every minute counts. You can personally message me with any questions you have. Your husband gets '9' points worth of visits per month. They do not carry over. It costs 1 point to visit during the week and 3 points for a week-end day. Visiting days are Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. No Visits on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hours for visiting on week days are from 1pm to 8 pm -on the week end's 8am - 3 pm. Usually they do not charge any points on Federal Holidays but they treat them like a week-end for hours. so on Monday -if it is a Federal Holiday -they will post a note saying -no points charged and hours are 8 am -3 pm. Do NOT wear sleeveless shirts or shorts /skirts which are 2 inches or higher above your knee. I was 8 months pregnant on my first visit with maternity shirt (sleeveless due to the weather) and they made me change my shirt. For the most part, if you are NICE and RESPECTFUL of the guards, they return the same. I was told be several inmates there that FCC COleman Low was one of the better facilities. They have however just changed the Warden and the new Warden is instituting really stupid rules. Glad my husband will be shipping out. My husband is in unit C3 as of today and should be there I expect another 2 weeks before he gets transferred out here.

Let me know if you have more questions and Sorry for the long post.

Carolyn

Gr8wife
06-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Also,

As for the money for the food and vending machines. You can bring up to $30 cash -but the bills need to be in $5 increments or lower as the change machines can only give you quarters up to that amount. I brought in $40 -but had kids with me.They did not check, but I think it is $30 per person. Buy a clear pocketbook or purse or use a ziplock bag as you can only bring into the prison -money and your license, unles you have kids. With kids, you can bring in diapers and wipes (in clear bags) formula and food (clear also) and blankets. If you have a baby in a car seat - the car seat is allowed in, but no strollers. Again, the guards are usually very nice. I was just there May 3 to May 11 -one of the ladies (Ms. Diaz-Hernandez) is nice. Just smile a lot and know they are doing their job. If you run into a lady with red hair - she is the only B**** I ran into her once and luckily for me, it was only the 1st time I came out. Everyone complained about her attitude.

Carolyn

Dianne81372
07-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Just to let you know that the red headed lady, my Mohter calls her "Miss Merry Sunshine" is no longer at Coleman FCI. Too many people complained about her and she is no longer running the visitation desk. My brother is at Coleman low and is about to be transfered to Estill Camp in South Carolina. I visited him last week at Coleman and it took 2 hours for me to get in to see him. Coleman rules are ridiculous! There are some gurads there who are polite, but the most of them are jerks and make you feel like an inmate yourself! I am glad that they are moving my brother. If anyone has any info on Estill Camp, I would grately appreciate it. I have been visiting my brother at Coleman for over a year now and I can asnwer any questions anyone might have.

Ladyvic24
10-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Hi can you send stamps to inmates in this prison?

fbopnomore
10-20-2011, 10:02 AM
The inmates have to buy stamps at the commissary and stamps can not be sent from outside.

DRUID1208
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
from what i read from the federal prison guidebook not a bad prison got lot of things you can do for rec and lerning even workthey live in 2 man dormtory housing so is not cells soulds more like s universty like places as for how it realy is inside i would not know i just know what it ses in book as for the prisons rep never know with the bop but he should be fine would be my best gess i have herd lot good things in lower prisons but they do offer a lot of things thare bet you can find so info on the BOP web site just look it up even bet you will find stuff good luck

Wire2476
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Just to let you know that the red headed lady, my Mohter calls her "Miss Merry Sunshine" is no longer at Coleman FCI. Too many people complained about her and she is no longer running the visitation desk. My brother is at Coleman low and is about to be transfered to Estill Camp in South Carolina. I visited him last week at Coleman and it took 2 hours for me to get in to see him. Coleman rules are ridiculous! There are some gurads there who are polite, but the most of them are jerks and make you feel like an inmate yourself! I am glad that they are moving my brother. If anyone has any info on Estill Camp, I would grately appreciate it. I have been visiting my brother at Coleman for over a year now and I can asnwer any questions anyone might have.

I'm self surrendering in feb and I think it's Coleman low. Can u find out from your brother what I can expect I have never been in trouble and this is my first time going !!!! Thanks

Bloodhound
03-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Correction to above posts. Visitation during the week and weekends is 8a.m-3p.m. except for Thursday which is 12-3. You are allowed $20 to bring in, nothing larger than a $5 bill. Clothing colors not to wear are tan, orange, olive green, medium blue or solid white t shirts. No see thru or sheer tops for ladies. No underwire bras, and keep jewelry to a minimum (makes it easier). Have the inmates bop# written down if u don't know it by heart (you need it when u fill out the visit form) also license plate#. If u wear a jacket or sweater, they make u keep it on while at visit. I hope this helps.

wellgetthru
03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Do you know if there are weights at Coleman Low?

HeavenBound6262
01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone .. my son has just been transferred to FCI Coleman Low which was a prayer answered for him to get transferred to Florida where I live but now a nightmare because I've no way to go visit him. I haven't seen him in a couople years and am thinking about how hard it would be to hitch hike?!?!? There are no Greyhound buses nor Amtrak that go anywhere near him and I am on a low income so can't even think about going into Orlando and then a cab to see him!!! Anyone know of any ideas how to get from Lake Worth/West Palm Beach area to Coleman Low??

fbopnomore
01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Here's a link to an AMTRAK reservations. There is a train from West Palm Beach to Ocala, 35 miles from Coleman, that costs $40.00 one way.
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

There is a SunTran bus line in Ocala. If you call them they can tell you if they have a bus that goes close to Coleman, or if not, how to get there.

1805 NE 30th Avenue, Building 900
Ocala, Florida 34470
Email: SunTran@ocalafl.org (SunTran@ocalafl.org)
Phone: (352) 401-6999

The inmate bulletin board in his prison also probably has notices for other travel options for visitors to there, so have him check for you too. Good luck.

shiftingnow
12-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Hello. I am new to the forum and will be self surrendering in January to the women's part of the prison. Does anyone have any tips

fbopnomore
12-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Welcome to Prison Talk. This is an old thread, so be sure to check the Women's federal prison sticky for more information about what to expect there.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50568