View Full Version : Back Child Support? Do they REALLY go to prison?

DeniseJJ
06-02-2004, 09:52 AM
I was just wondering if I really push my ex for the back child support he owes will he really go to prison for not paying it?

thought my alabama ladies would know something about it

LeesLady
06-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Denise,How much back support does he owe you?My support goes through DHR and my ex gets behind a good bit and all they do is basically take him to court slap him on the wrist and say pay it.They ask me one time when we went to court did I want him locked up and I told them yes.I knew his new wife would come up with the money to get him out and she did.So he was only locked up for a few hours.They lock them up until it is paid from my understanding.My ex is behind now 600 and something dollars.Try DHR cause if they don't pay it they will get it when he files taxes at the end of the year.And whatever they owe it just collects interest everyday.

DeniseJJ
06-02-2004, 11:09 AM
well lets see..she's almost 11 and we divorced before she was a year old. I think that the divorce papers say 378.00 amonth.....so he is behind around 45000.00 dollars..LOL..any chance of me ever getting it....LOL....

ragland
06-02-2004, 11:28 AM
let me give you some information that might help you make your decision....owing child support UNLESS accross state lines (which becomes flight to avoid) is ONLY a misdemenor....however its not a city case its a DA case so he would be held in the county jail, NEVER making it to a state level....if someone is in prison for child support you can rest assured there is more to it like maybe them fleeing the state to avoid paying..and generally it is like leeslady was saying that they drag them in several times to be slapped on the wrist before they ever keep them over a day in jail....i say go for it girl.....youd be surprised how much just a day in county will make some dads pay up and you and i both know county is nothing compared to prison...he can manage.....

DeniseJJ
06-02-2004, 12:33 PM
im really at the point that i don't care if they put him under the jail!! all these years with no help whats so ever and he's been calling around showing his butt about me taking our daughter to see Kenny. What BS is that? He hasn't paid her one bit of attention in 10 years...now he thinks I shouldn't carry her to the prison to visit..who is he to ask or tell me what to do anyway...(((breath breath breath) ))

oh he's made me really really mad...DJ

ragland
06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
i have shovels, will travel!!!

DeniseJJ
06-02-2004, 12:52 PM
lol...you crack me up

buggles4869
06-02-2004, 01:00 PM
"Flight to avoid"? I wish they would charge my ex with that! I have been divorced for 10 years and we have 3 children together. 10 years ago my child support order was for $129.30 per child...OR $387.90 a month. He owes me $45,556.30. I have not see anything up until this year. Texas did intercept his taxes of $3,100. BUT then the state took back the "welfare" they gave me in cash assistance. Believe me, the state wants their money FIRST...Even though I am still on welfare they took the ONLY cash money I've ever "received"...ha! Made me laugh. They did find him in Idaho 4 weeks ago, then he ran and now they said they found him in Salt Lake City...I wonder where oh where he will run to next?

I wish they would throw his as% in jail! I'm so sick of him being able to just runnnn to his hearts content, never being responsible for the choices WE made together 17 years ago.

As far as collecting the support? I doubt I will EVER see a penny! Enough to make you screammmmmmmmmmm isn't it?

Bugged out on this one!
Buggles

ragland
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
if that cracks you up you are going to love my next plan of attack....ive been thinking about how ADOC strings us along and makes us play THEIR silly games for some number of months of years while our people are stuck in their system....why does the fun have to stop there.....why can i not wait till joes off probation and call them no less than once a day to just say "hey wanted to let yall know i was thinking of you"....surely after enough calls they will throughly enjoy being on the other end of being held hostage by someone elses stupid (enter expletive) games!!

DeniseJJ
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
I know that "feeling", I would just love to give them the run around one good time!!!!

Buggs...I hear ya..it just as I thought it would be, I believe I'm going to put my x on the run here in just a few days, then maybe he will stop causing me trouble if i cause a little for him!!!

ragland
06-02-2004, 01:21 PM
well my mother collected over 80k through her ex being in texas and never paying a dime....that was what she settled on just to clear it up, there was alot more owed....she got every penny though....texas WILL go after the dead beats and get the money.....part of my job that i do is private investigations and i chase dead beats down all the time and you CAN get the money owed without paying the state a dime towards what you recieved in assistance, you just have to collect the money without their help.....its a good day when i find someones dead beater, it pays well for me and also for the family thats in need

IM4U21DER
06-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Ragland How Did You Get Into This? If You Don't Mind Sharing It With Me.

ragland
06-02-2004, 11:16 PM
well its only half of my job, so i had to get into it through those means.....i deal with mainly (like 99%) criminal element so naturally it made sense that i would be good at running down folks through the use of tools i use to track my own clients down....sometimes i find lost relitives, sometimes i catch cheating spouses and child support stuff but thats really just 1% of it all.....its just like any seasonal job though feast or famine and right now we are starving!!! lol

IM4U21DER
06-02-2004, 11:19 PM
IN NOV. 99 I WAS WORKING AND LIVING IN PANAMA CITY BEACH AS A MASTER PLUMBER. WE WERE BUILDING THE LARGEST HIGH SCHOOL IN FLA.THE LARGEST COMMERCIAL JOB I HAD EVER DONE. MY JOB WAS TO INSTALL ALL WATER LINES INCLUDING MAINS. EVERY DAY AT 9:00 O'CLOCK BREAK 3 OF OUR GUYS WOULD LEAVE THE SITE AND RETURN 30mins. LATER. THEY WERE SMOKING POT ON BREAK. ON THIS ONE DAY IN NOV. I NEEDED SOME MORE MAIN PIPE AND A CO-WORKER NEEDED SOME ALSO SO WE WENT AT THE SAME TIME AS WE HAD ONLY 1 VEHICLE. THE PIPE I WAS INSTALLING WAS 3" COPPER OF A HEAVY GRADE 20 FEET LONG. WEIGHING AT AROUND 110 POUNDS THIS CO-WORKER HYPED ON POT THOUGHT HE WAS MR UNIVERSE TRYING TO LIFT THE PIPE UP ON ONE END. IT WAS ALL 1 MAN COULD CARRY BY BALANCING IT IN THE MIDDLE. MY BACK WAS TO HIM SO I HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS DOING. I FELT WHAT SEEMED LIKE LIGHTNING RUN THRU MY ENTIRE BODY. I WAS TOLD BY HIM THAT HE ALMOST HAD IT UP WHEN HE LOST IT. HITTING ME SQUARE ON MY HARD HAT BURSTING IT HE HAD MANAGED TO RUIN ME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. WORKERS COMP TRIED TO FINISH WHAT HE STARTED BY TRYING TO FORCE ME ECONOMICLY TAKE A SETTLEMENT THAT WOULDNT EVEN PAY FOR THE SURGEY. MEDICAID HAD TO DO THAT WHEN I WOULD'NT TAKE THEIR OFFER THEY CUT OFF MY BI-WEEKLY BENEFITS CAUSING ME TO GET BEHIND ON CHILD SUPPORT. THIS WENT ON FOR 11MOS. D/A HAULED ME INTO COURT/ NOT MY EX WHO TOLD THE JUDGE SHE KNEW WHY I HAD'NT PAID. THE JUDGE STUCK ME IN COUNTY FOR 35DAYS ONLY 8 WEEKS AFTER HAVING DISC C4 THRU C7 TAKEN OUT REPLACED WITH PLASTIC PROSTHESIS AND A METAL PLATE TO HELP HOLD MY HEAD TO MY SHOULDERS. 3 MOS.LATER BACK IN COURT AGAIN WITH PAPERS FROM SSA. GRANTING DISABILITY AND JUDGE SAYS YOU REALLY ARE DISABLED. I WAS ORDERED TO PAY 600 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR 1 CHILD WHICH I DIDN'T NEED AN ORDER FROM A JUDGE TO DO.NOW SHE GETS 176.00 A MONTH BUT I PAY FOR HALF OF ALL SCHOOL THINGS IF NOT ALL. SHE (EX) GOT ALL BACK SUPPORT TAKEN FROM MY SETTLEMNT WHICH IF IN ANOTHER STATE OTHER THAN FLA. WOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH TO LIVE ON OR AT LEAST BOUGHT A HOUSE(THANKS TO JEB BUSH). 6 MONTHS LATER SHE RECEIVED A BACK PAY FROM SSA ON MY DAUGHTER FOR 6000.00 FOR THE SAME PERIOD THEY TOOK 600.00 MONTH FROM SETTLEMENT. IM NOT COMPLAINING CAUSE SHE(DAUGHTER) DID GET A 91 HONDA FOR CHRISTMAS OUT OF IT.I BOUGHT HER SCHOOL CLOTHES MYSELF. IS THERE A SUCH THING AS DEAD GREEDY MOMS? I DO THE BEST I CAN AND IT BURNS ME UP TO SEE A FATHER WHO MAKES 18 TO 22 AN HOUR AND ONLY ORDERED TO PAY 50 TO 100 PER CHILD AND WANT EVEN PAY THAT.B%#$@&*

ragland
06-02-2004, 11:45 PM
well to tell ya the truth i have three kids and see lil room for being greedy....but if your ex was so understanding why didnt she give you some of that settlement? i get child support but we dont go through the courts that way if he needs a break or something they dont come after him.....sometimes i even give him a break for months and then sometimes he pays me twice what he should.....regaurdless it is OUR responsiblity to raise the kids that WE brought into this world and allthough we are weird about not handling our affairs in front of a judge we just prefer it that way....neither he or i have ever in 7 yrs seen the inside of a courtroom and we hired only one lawyer and that was to do the divorce....we dont fight cause we dont want our kids to get caught up in it.....but just like he gives me any refunds he gets through taxes ( i cant get any cause of being in a certain tax bracket *sigh*) i would most definately have given him that 6k if it was rightfully his....we still have joint checking accts and take care of our finances together so our circumstances are different but we both stand by the rule that if you owe.....you owe....dont try and blame someone else for you deciding to bring kids in to this world.....(not you but anyone ) i could go on for days about how much i DONT do dead beats.....and you can bet your bottom dollar ill chase em hard, ill chase em long and ill get that **** money those babies deserve!!!

IM4U21DER
06-03-2004, 01:25 AM
I Know There Are A Lot Of Them That Wouldn't Do Anything If It Weren't For The Courts But Sometimes I Think Things Would Be Better Resolved Between The X's My Girl's Usually Get What They Ask For If The Need Is There. She Wants To Live With Me But Doesn't Want To Hurt Mom's Feelings.i Meant No Offense To Moms But I Have Seen Some Who Took It Too Far.

ragland
06-03-2004, 11:07 AM
i can only say "typical male" there, i have dated so many men with kids and EVERYONE of them really believes that they want to "take over" raising the kids.....lol....if you want to test that theory, let mine come vacation with you for a week.....not only will you be wore out but your pocket book will be soooooooooooo drained youll be tickled to death to pay what lil bit you have to to your kids.....mine invented the word SPOILED! great kids, but demanding in all areas , maybe that means they will grow up to be demanding people and that can only be a good thing in my eyes, i dont want to see them walked on in life.....seriously though, most everyone does need that courtroom to work things out, i just so happened to go through a divorce where no matter what we dont believe in someone else telling us who gets the kids when, how much someone pays, everyone in our small town envies us but they just dont know how easy it would be for all of them to do if they BOTH agree to that and STICK TO IT.....thats the catch, making both people be decent about it....cant get that so easy, most times you are lucky if just one will be decent..

Angelbaby8599
06-03-2004, 11:19 AM
In Florida they'll do it. My daughter's father kept neglecting to pay and also kept switching jobs so they couldn't keep up with him. Well they finally did catch him and we went to court. I asked the judge to keep him out and he listened to me. The judge did tell him that if he fell behind again he would put him in, no matter what I said.

ragland
06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
yes but jail and prison are two totally different sentences.....child support is not a felony as of today

bkg54
06-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Ragland, My case was in the state of Florida and we set a precedent when we attached my ex's "body" and held it until the court date. It was complicated and involved two private detective, one from Chattanooga and one from Daytona, but my fiesty little attorney out of Orlando was the best. My ex had to pay close to $20 grand to get out of jail, but my children deserved it. I had certified copies of every judgement I had won against him and proof of everytime I won that he would move out of state to avoid payment. I have no sympathy for dead beat dads or moms... it's the children that suffer. Just needed to say that bkg54 in chattanooga

ragland
06-03-2004, 11:54 AM
well kudos im glad to hear you won it!! it can only mean good things for the kids....and im with you a dead beats a dead beat no matter what....