View Full Version : How long does it take to be released once granted parole?

kristieJ
01-18-2013, 08:42 PM
My future husband was sitting in alpine county waiting to catch chain to do his 2 year tdc sentence..he already had about 11 months backtime and they called him out and let him know he was getting his parol....how can that be if he didnt go to prison yet? and i called today and he has caught chain to tdc.. so is he just going down there to get a number or what? how long does it take usually when you get parol to actually be released?

Dutches
01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Was he approved for parole or just reached hus parole eligibility date? When my husband finally reached tdcj after spending about six months in county, he was already up for parole review. He was denied though. So I guess it all depends on if he has received confirmation that he was in fact approved. Good luck!

patchouli
01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Every state's procedures may be a tad different, so I've moved your thread to the Texas sub-forum for Parole, Probation & Release :)

kristieJ
01-18-2013, 10:32 PM
he called and told me he was approved and whenever they did his paperwork he would be coming home

kristieJ
01-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Was he approved for parole or just reached hus parole eligibility date? When my husband finally reached tdcj after spending about six months in county, he was already up for parole review. He was denied though. So I guess it all depends on if he has received confirmation that he was in fact approved. Good luck!

he was told he was granted parol and he would be released whenever they finished his paperwork...but i called alpine today and he isnt there and he isnt showing up on texas inmate locater either...? but the jail told me he caught chain so im confused

kristieJ
01-18-2013, 10:44 PM

and how can i find out more about his parol?? do u know a site or something i can go to?

Renee
01-18-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm sure someone who knows more about Parole in Absentia will respond soon, but you can check the TDCJ website. TDCJ Online Offender Search (http://offender.tdcj.state.tx.us/POSdb2/index.jsp) Since he caught chain on a Friday, he probably won't show up on the website until Tuesday, though. I hope he comes home soon!

RobinsMan
01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
With 11 months of backtime on a 2 year regular TDC sentence for which he is eligible for Release to Mandatory Supervision (I assume that he is) he will probably already be beyond his Projected Release Date (date he would be RMS'd) and beyond the time when the parole board could decide to block that release. He will be transferred to TDC for an abbreviated intake processing and then released. I can't say just how quickly that might take place but I would expect a matter of weeks, at most. I've only been able to follow two cases where someone was past (or close enough) to what turned out to be their PRD that they were going to be automatically released to mandatory supervision but in one case there was reason for the person to be sent back to county (after processing into TDC) prior ro release and on the other I never heard back from them after they were told incounty they werre going to be released to MS and then transferred tol TDC.

After sentencing, a persons pen pack (sentence information) is sent to TDC. Once that is received he is "state ready", his information is available to the parole division and that is why he can be processed for parole (or release to mandatory supervision) before he is transferred.

kristieJ
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
With 11 months of backtime on a 2 year regular TDC sentence for which he is eligible for Release to Mandatory Supervision (I assume that he is) he will probably already be beyond his Projected Release Date (date he would be RMS'd) and beyond the time when the parole board could decide to block that release. He will be transferred to TDC for an abbreviated intake processing and then released. I can't say just how quickly that might take place but I would expect a matter of weeks, at most. I've only been able to follow two cases where someone was past (or close enough) to what turned out to be their PRD that they were going to be automatically released to mandatory supervision but in one case there was reason for the person to be sent back to county (after processing into TDC) prior ro release and on the other I never heard back from them after they were told incounty they werre going to be released to MS and then transferred tol TDC.

After sentencing, a persons pen pack (sentence information) is sent to TDC. Once that is received he is "state ready", his information is available to the parole division and that is why he can be processed for parole (or release to mandatory supervision) before he is transferred.

thanks so much hopefully he will be home soon then :)

kristieJ
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
thanks so much hopefully he will be home soon then :)

also i had another question...i keep seeing on other forums where offenders where interviewed before the board voted..? and as my story goes he was told in county he made short way out parole so can they do that without the interview process before hand?

RobinsMan
01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
also i had another question...i keep seeing on other forums where offenders where interviewed before the board voted..? and as my story goes he was told in county he made short way out parole so can they do that without the interview process before hand?

Yes, it is possible that the determination that he will be released to mandatory supervision may be made without being interviewed. However, TDC will at least need an address where he'll be living in order to process is release - which is about the only thing of any significance occurring in most parole "interviews" anyway - and so I expect that he'll, in essense, still have that interview even though it might be after he has already learned he is being released. My understanding is that he will still be transferred to TDC for processing prior to release so they can wait until he is there to talk to him.

CenTexLyn
01-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Where someone is subject to a release under Retzlaff, there is no traditional parole interview precisely because the release is not subject to Board discretion.

erika and frank
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
he called and told me he was approved and whenever they did his paperwork he would be coming home

Congrats if i may ask what was he in for? And how long was his sentence?

soon to b sword
08-23-2013, 08:12 PM
My future husband was sitting in alpine county waiting to catch chain to do his 2 year tdc sentence..he already had about 11 months backtime and they called him out and let him know he was getting his parol....how can that be if he didnt go to prison yet? and i called today and he has caught chain to tdc.. so is he just going down there to get a number or what? how long does it take usually when you get parol to actually be released?

my ? is that my husband got to tdcj yesterday and his projected release date is the same as if he did his whole sentence? it wasn't a aggrivated charge and how long does parole usually take to review? I called and they said he"s in review so i guess I need to send his packet but,really how long does the review take?

RobinsMan
08-26-2013, 05:58 AM
It can vary quite a bit. THe pat answer is usually 4 to 6 months. However, my wife's initial review took 8 months in the presence of some extenuating circumstance but should different circumstances exist they might need to expedite a review which could shorten it to less than the usual.

His offense might not be one that the description of which contains the word "aggravated" but the fact that his Projected Release Date matches his Maximum Sentence Date indicates (unless TDC has made a mistake .. not unheard of but not very likely) that he is not eligible for Release to Mandatory Supervision. I would then be curious about what they say is his Parole Eligiblity Date.