View Full Version : Intro - silverdolla0

silverdolla0
05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone! My name is silverdolla0 (Paula) from California. I first stumbled upon this site about 6 to 8 months ago but didn't have much time to mess around on my computer because I moved and started workin so haven't visited until now. I'm back!

My boyfriend is currently in fire camp - Delta Camp #8 - in Suisun City. He was sentenced to 7 years, 4 months in May 2003 for manufacturing methamphetamine and several other charges that usually go along with it. He was in Susanville for about 7 months before fire camp.

I still haven't gone to visit him and I'm having a hard time explaining to him why... I did go see him when he wsa in the county jail but haven't seen him since he went off to prison. It's been almost 3 years now. I did see him for about an hour, but that was because he was allowed a 9 hour leave right before Christmas to go to his fathers funeral. His father shot himself, selfishly. The visit then wasn't anywhere near long enough and I would love to see him. It's only about 1 1/2 hours away from me. The only excuse I can come up with is that seeing him there, at the fire camp, would make it all the more real to me that he is in prison. For some reason I'm scared - too scared to make that drive.

I want to get some feedback and maybe some of you will be able to push me to do the right thing here!! I'd like to keep up to date about new laws, etc. regarding prisons and inmates. For instance, the rumored releasal of 15,000 inmates by 2005, and early releases due to budget cuts, etc.

Thank You ~
silverdolla0
(Paula)

LeaAnn
05-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Welcome to PTO!

DENIMBLUE
05-27-2004, 06:21 PM
:) ~WELCOME TO PTO~ :)

Visiting isn't all that bad...

qwerty
05-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Welcome! No, visiting isn't that bad and it means so much to your loved one. I visit one of the *worst* prisons (lancaster) so I'm sure you can do it!!

There are some threads here on the early releases, others here know more about that than I do. But as far as the 15,000 inmates -- what CDC said was it will have that many FEWER inmates in 2005 not because of early releases but because fewer parole violators are being sent back in -- they'll do more house arrests, halfway houses instead. And CDC is even back-pedalling on that now because they're claiming county jails are sending more inmates than ever since counties have their own budget problems and can't afford to keep 'em in jail.

California Sunshine
05-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Welcome :) I am going to agree with qwerty.I visit Pelican Bay and while I don't ofetn make that trip because it is so far from me when I do it is worse it.I think that fire camps are more of a medium security type place and I bet the visit wouldn't be half bad.I do understand being scared though,believe me I was too but in the end it is so worth it!

Pinky99
05-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Paula, like the other women have mentioned, visiting is not a scary at all. In fact once you see your loved one face to face, it's as if you both are in your own little world. My fiance is 3 hours away from me one-way and I faithfully visit him every other weekend.

Visits means a lot to the men and they say that those that have srtong family ties (meaning inmates whoe receive visits) are statistically less likely to recommit a crime than those that do not receive visits. If he's only less than 2 hours away from you, I recommend that you go to see him, trust me you'll be glad you did.

California Sunshine
05-27-2004, 10:28 PM
BTW I just noticed my spelling YIKES!! LOL I meant often not ofeten and worth not worse!! Just one of those days I guess!! :)

Angelbaby8599
05-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Welcome to PTO!! Thanks for sharing your story. I can understand your hesitance at visiting your man, but think how good it would be to see him? Course maybe I'm just a little on the jealous side, cause I can't see mine whenever I want. Anyway, welcome again!

Valerie
05-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Hi Paula, I'm glad you found us and joined.

LoUiE'sLaDy
05-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Hi and Welcome to PTO!

lulu
05-28-2004, 09:00 AM
welcome to pto

silverdolla0
05-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone... I appreciate it! I will work on getting up the nerve to actually make that drive and see him. I miss him terribly and I know that I would feel sooo much better if I just went. It's crazy not to. I just didn't want to see it all and then maybe the reality of it all wouldn't be so bad. Thanks again!

Paula
(silverdolla0)

RoofersLady
06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone... I appreciate it! I will work on getting up the nerve to actually make that drive and see him. I miss him terribly and I know that I would feel sooo much better if I just went. It's crazy not to. I just didn't want to see it all and then maybe the reality of it all wouldn't be so bad. Thanks again!

Paula
(silverdolla0)
Welcome Paula!
I visit man my at Susanville (CCC) every month while he's waiting to go to camp...From what I have been told, visiting at camp is sooo much nicer then "behind the walls".
It is an anxious feeling at first of course BUT the minute you see his face, touch his skin, smell him and can kiss him, all anxiety goes right out the window! I was sooo nervous for my first visit at CCC and according to some of the other members on here, CCC is a piece of cake to how and what they are subjected to during a visit. Like I said, firecamp should be a good way to get back into seeing him.....
So if you want my humble opinion, GO FOR IT! :yes:
Feel free to PM me anytime!! Good luck with your decision!
The RoofersLady

Cheetoes1
06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Welcome to PTO Paula :) You can do it!!! Visiting is not bad at all!! :) :) I also visit at Lancaster and go up evey weekend!! And everyone is right, when you see your man walk into that visiting room, you are the only 2 people there!! :) :)

KellyA.