View Full Version : How do I know my cell is registered and add $ - Gurney Texas Prison Unit

jacquiemarie
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Hello! So I am completely new at all this, my boyfriend arrived at Gurney Until almost 2 weeks ago. I've got most things figured out, got my jpay account to e-mail him and add money to his books. luckily for us, calls to cell phones have finally been approved so I called the number to register my phone (was on hold 1 hour and 59 minutes!) and was told I qualified for calls and would get an e-mail within 2 days....it has been 5 days now. I don't know what I can do to make find out if I was approved for calls and if so how to add funds to the account. I tired the securus page but gurney unit wasn't on there. I know it will be a bit longer before he can even make calls but I want to make sure I have everything set ahead of time....any advice?

Dutches
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
One thing to know right of the bat with TDCJ ...that 2 days usually means 10 in their language. I personally haven't signed up my cell but I've heard so many stories already. I know it's hard, but be patient you'll get your email soon I hope!

jacquiemarie
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM
good to know! everything else has been going pretty smoothly, I got mail from him the same week he arrived, he gets all my e-mails and letters and has gotten the money we have sent (although he got there the day same day as commissary did so he's going to have to wait until sometime this week) but I really hope to find out if I will be able to receive calls soon. registering was a drag! the girl said they were not prepared for the amount of calls they were getting so I understand if the process is taking longer than expected, just wish it didn't take THIS long!!

Renee
11-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome to PTO! You should check out the Texas Prison Phone Issues - General Q&A (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1381) and Texas Inmate Care Packages (eCommDirect) - General Q&A (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1626) Forums. There's lots of good info there! Also, there's the Frequently Asked Questions - Commissary and Trust Fund Department (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/faq/faq_comm_trust.html&sa=U&ei=6HGoUN3UHOns2gWHqoCYDg&ved=0CAkQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHgcBgv7VuFiquUvHKd8uukkfAk2Q) for lots of ways to put money on his books. Good luck!

jacquiemarie
11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
I got everything figured out as far as putting money on his books and correspondence but its the whole phone thing. I have searched up and down through those forums but none help with my specific issue. I registered my cell, have yet to get the approval email. Also, when I co to the pre-paid section on Jpay and try to look up gurney until it doesn't come up...it's that last step that I seem to be having issues with :(

Renee
11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
They didn't have JPay service when my guy was in, so I have no info there, sorry! But I have read in the Phone Forum that some people are getting cell calls without an email confirmation. I hope you get things figured out soon!

ElleTTX
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Regarding the cell phone issues: You will probably never get an email, the phone will just magically start working one day after it has been approved. Your man can try calling your cell just to see what happens. If he does get through and you don't want to get a collect-call account set up, just don't press 1 to accept. But at least that way you'll know that the cell phone IS working.

Texas Friends and Family get their updates from TDCJ for approved calls twice a week--Tuesdays and Fridays. If you're not approved on Tuesday, you can not worry about it for Wednesday and Thursday, etc.

Because of the insane amount of signups they are having, cell phone approval takes a while. I signed up the day cell phone registration opened and it took about three weeks for approval.

If you're unable to get pre-paid money on the account for your LO through JPay, you can also do it directly through Securus, the billing company. They can explain on the phone the cheapest way to get money to them. Please be aware that some individuals in these forums seem to be having trouble with money orders getting lost when sent to Securus.

Hope that helps.

jacquiemarie
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Regarding the cell phone issues: You will probably never get an email, the phone will just magically start working one day after it has been approved. Your man can try calling your cell just to see what happens. If he does get through and you don't want to get a collect-call account set up, just don't press 1 to accept. But at least that way you'll know that the cell phone IS working.

Texas Friends and Family get their updates from TDCJ for approved calls twice a week--Tuesdays and Fridays. If you're not approved on Tuesday, you can not worry about it for Wednesday and Thursday, etc.

Because of the insane amount of signups they are having, cell phone approval takes a while. I signed up the day cell phone registration opened and it took about three weeks for approval.

If you're unable to get pre-paid money on the account for your LO through JPay, you can also do it directly through Securus, the billing company. They can explain on the phone the cheapest way to get money to them. Please be aware that some individuals in these forums seem to be having trouble with money orders getting lost when sent to Securus.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the info! Now i wont be checking my email every 5 minutes, I'll just let him know to try calling every so often! can he call even if i havent been able to add funds into his phone account?? I have gone to jpay and click on the pre-pay thing for phones, it send me to securus but his unit doesnt pull up. I wouldnt think they would give me the option to add money to his funds if that unit wasnt able to make calls, so I'm kind of at a standstill as of now until i know where the heck to send my money!

HoldinItDown2010
11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks for the info! Now i wont be checking my email every 5 minutes, I'll just let him know to try calling every so often! can he call even if i havent been able to add funds into his phone account?? I have gone to jpay and click on the pre-pay thing for phones, it send me to securus but his unit doesnt pull up. I wouldnt think they would give me the option to add money to his funds if that unit wasnt able to make calls, so I'm kind of at a standstill as of now until i know where the heck to send my money!

Call securus n see if u have a direct bill account

ElleTTX
11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
If he calls you direct (without pre-pay money on his account) and you accept the call, it will automatically set up an account for you through securus for direct bill. The company will allow you $200 in credit on direct bill before they cut you off, so yes, it's possible for him to call you even if there is no money on his account.

If you direct bill through securus the calls are a *little* bit more expensive than if he uses pre-paid money, and also your statement will come with a $2.49 processing fee, but because you can pay your bill by mail via check this eliminates the jpay fees so really, it works out to about the same cost give or take.

Even if you do not have an account already set up with securus, on their website there is a page where you can type in your phone number and it will tell you how much the per minute charge will be so you can get an idea of the cost of the calls in advance.

Once you have an account through securus (which automatically happens once he has called you and you've accepted) then it is so much easier to get someone on the phone to help you figure things out.

jacquiemarie
11-20-2012, 10:53 PM
that Is great to know! my main concern was whether or not his call would come though when he was finally able to make calls. so I am extremely relieved! any of you know about how long it take for the whole classification process to be completed? I get mail from him almost daily now that his money went through and commissary finally went to his unit but I cant wait to finally go visit!

ElleTTX
11-21-2012, 04:19 PM
The times to go through processing vary drastically. My LO was out and able to make calls and visits within 21 days, but he said there were others who had come into intake with him and were still in processing at the 40-day mark. If your LO has any health issues, or specific needs, it seems those types of things can slow down the process. When he gets to "sociology" that should be about the end of it.

Once he's through processing, he may stay at Gurney for awhile, or they may ship him out pretty much right away. It's very stressful, I know, just try to breathe through it best as you can and know that it won't always be like this. The intake/processing is probably the hardest time period because of the lack of communication. Also be aware that even if you are a spouse or relative, for the first 60 days your visits will be behind the glass.

wandamaloy
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
good to know! everything else has been going pretty smoothly, I got mail from him the same week he arrived, he gets all my e-mails and letters and has gotten the money we have sent (although he got there the day same day as commissary did so he's going to have to wait until sometime this week) but I really hope to find out if I will be able to receive calls soon. registering was a drag! the girl said they were not prepared for the amount of calls they were getting so I understand if the process is taking longer than expected, just wish it didn't take THIS long!! How long did it to process your man in.? My son been there a week now ,no letter are anything yet I put money on commissary account. And call and register my landline phone. waiting on them. careing mom