View Full Version : Is it normal for a felony DUI offender to get G3 status?

cooleur
10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Is it normal for a felony DUI offender to get G3 status?

Renee
10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I've moved your thread to the Texas forums where people who are familiar with TDCJ can help! Good luck!

cooleur
10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
oh thank you, sorry i am new and dont know the protocol here. thanks again! :)

Renee
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I hope someone with more experience comes along soon, but the Sticky Line Class Definitions (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225132) might give you some information in the mean time. Good luck!

RobinsMan
10-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Is it normal for a felony DUI offender to get G3 status?

G3 refers to a custody level that is normally associated only with those that have particularly long sentences when they first enter TDC. Since there are people serving exceptionally long sentences for DWI then someone serving time for that offense might start out at G3 but it would be because of the length of the sentence and not due to the offense.

I wonder if you meant S3 instead of G3. S3 is a good time earning status (determines the rate at which they earn good time) that is common for any inmate that stays out of trouble regardless of what their offense is. It is common for an inmate who has not been in trouble to move from the initial good time earning status of Line Class 1 (L1) to SAT3 (or S3) after they have been in TDC for 6 months.

cooleur
10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
No, I mean G3. My friend got 3 years for felony DWI -- but his PRD is less than a year from his sentence date, which I find strange (he only has 6 more months to serve). Do you think he has been acting up or something -- can inmates be elevated to G3 from G1 or G2 for any reason?

CenTexLyn
10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Have they been in TDCJ previously? Ordinarily, one would expect to see a short-sentence case be placed in G2 status upon arrival, but there are occasions where past histories can contribute to G3 status.

cooleur
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Nope, he has been to prison before, just not in Texas. All DUI related...

CenTexLyn
10-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Nope, he has been to prison before, just not in Texas. All DUI related...

The fact that there was history with other prison systems and they made him G3 suggests that there is something in those other incarcerations that raised a red flag.