View Full Version : State plans to close Phelps Correctional, moving inmates to other prisons

LifeTraveler
09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
The state Department of Public Safety and Corrections announced plans Friday to move offenders from the C. Paul Phelps Correctional Center (http://doc.la.gov/pages/correctional-facilities/c-paul-phelps-correctional-center/) in DeQuincy to other state prisons to cut costs. The transfers out of the 942-bed medium-security prison is expected to begin in November and will be the first step in closing the facility, said Pam Laborde, communications director with the department.

The rest of the article can be found here:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/09/dept_of_corrections_moving_off.html

knordyke
09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
It's really sad to see the DOC slowly dismantled. Three facilities have bitten the dust this year. The private facilities and sheriffs are still thriving. For those who didn't grow up with this stuff or live and breathe it as I do, go read the NOLA.com series.

With these closures, it is probable that more Louisiana prisoners will not receive education, vocational training, substance abuse treatment, etc. The DOC is really the only place that provides the above. Prisoners, their families and society suffers as a result of these closures.

The state Department of Public Safety and Corrections announced plans Friday to move offenders from the C. Paul Phelps Correctional Center (http://doc.la.gov/pages/correctional-facilities/c-paul-phelps-correctional-center/) in DeQuincy to other state prisons to cut costs. The transfers out of the 942-bed medium-security prison is expected to begin in November and will be the first step in closing the facility, said Pam Laborde, communications director with the department.

The rest of the article can be found here:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/09/dept_of_corrections_moving_off.html

LifeTraveler
09-19-2012, 02:22 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. Personally, I think it's a recipe for disaster. They are cramming all these inmates together with nothing for them to look forward to. I don't see anything good coming from this.

mrsboutte
09-19-2012, 07:08 PM
really they already complaining the dont have room so close down prison

LifeTraveler
09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
The situation is really becoming serious. I've had word from a reliable source that every parish facility in the state is over crowded. They have inmates sleeping on the floor. I think it's past time for fire marshals to do some inspections.

COs are talking about they no longer want to go into dormitories to break up fights or anything else because their lives are on the line.

I've been sick as a dog the last few days with some kind of bug, but once I feel human again, I'm going to start a letter writing campaign and phone calls. This has gotten out of control.

thisfamily
09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't understand why Jindal thinks closing yet another prison will help save a few million dollars when the state will still have to fork out unemployment and community resources to those without a correctional facility job or can't commute to Angola.

However, I was surprised to find out that my fiance was slated for a transfer from Phelps to Richwood tomorrow instead of Angola or EHCC like the majority of Phelps. He says the rumor mill at Phelps is so thick about everyone going to either Angola or EHCC by the end of month.

thisfamily
10-02-2012, 09:04 AM
My fiance says they have started to move inmates around in the dorms and out of Phelps this week. He was moved to Richwood yesterday. Just an update on the Phelps situation.

JessicaL0421
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Let me know any info to where I can also do the same along with you @ Life Traveler.

MzDarknLovely31
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I know some inmates from there have already been moved to Angola as of yesterday because my sweetie was moved out of his camp to the main part of the prison due to this. It seems like one big mess really. :(

thisfamily
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
That's heartbreaking, MzDarknLovely31. I hope your man will be out of there quickly as possible and that he'll be okay with his fellow displaced Phelps peers. It feels like the dust has come flying off the ground for everyone and their loved ones regarding Phelps.

thisfamily
10-02-2012, 05:05 PM
FYI, if anyone wants to find out where their loved ones will be moved to.. I called the warden's office at Phelps and they were happy to tell me where my fiance was going in advance from Phelps. The direct number is 337-786-1521.

MzDarknLovely31
10-02-2012, 06:48 PM
That's heartbreaking, MzDarknLovely31. I hope your man will be out of there quickly as possible and that he'll be okay with his fellow displaced Phelps peers. It feels like the dust has come flying off the ground for everyone and their loved ones regarding Phelps.

Thank you for your well wishes but I think I worded my post wrong he was already at Angola, has been for 14 years but he was placed in a camp in Angola away from the main facility (prison cells) a few years ago and had zero problems since he's been in that camp, also made some solid friendships and they all got broken apart and moved to different areas of the prison, him being in the main part of the prison now. He was taking it in stride the news of the move but I haven't heard from him since they moved him and I'm going crazy. I know he can hold his own but it's got to be a madhouse in there. I feel bad for everyone involved. When I called about the phones today they sounded overwhelmed as everyone is calling wanting to know why their loved one hasn't called to get in touch with them since moving new inmates into the facility. One big mess. :(

MzDarknLovely31
10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
The situation is really becoming serious. I've had word from a reliable source that every parish facility in the state is over crowded. They have inmates sleeping on the floor. I think it's past time for fire marshals to do some inspections.

COs are talking about they no longer want to go into dormitories to break up fights or anything else because their lives are on the line.

I've been sick as a dog the last few days with some kind of bug, but once I feel human again, I'm going to start a letter writing campaign and phone calls. This has gotten out of control.

Please pm me when you are planning on starting your campaign as my man has just informed me that he was moved to a part of the prison that was shut down for sometime. They are on the floor, no tv, no microwave and no hot water in the shower. I am highly pissed for him but he is laughing and taking it in stride but this is unacceptable. I know they aren't going to get four star hotel treatment but my dog has better living arrangements than he does right now! This is crazy. If you could pm me where to begin to write I'd like to get started TONIGHT! Thank you!!!

thisfamily
10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
MzDarknLovely31, thanks for clearing that up!

That sucks that your guy has to completely change everything just because a prison closed and he wasn't even there. Will he be in a good camp (is the main camp generally ok?) even though he was displaced by the minimum-medium security inmates from Phelps? I educated myself a bit about Angola as soon as I found out that my fiance could be moved there. Different camps. Huge compound. Museum.