View Full Version : How do you connect an iPhone into car stereo without aux-in?

Sad_Eyes
07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Can anyone help me connect my iPhone to my car cd player or speakers? I have heard of FM transmitters and FM modulators, etc...I am not sure what to use. Any product recommendations? I do not have an auxiliary port of any sort. Any help would be appreciated! I would love to be able to listen to the music on my phone on those long drives to visitation!

CenTexLyn
07-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Cannot speak to the iPhone, but I did use one of the FM modulators for a portable CD player when the in-dash CD player quit in the convertible. I had a long drive to make and I HAD to have some sort of musical selection. Had no problems with it at all...

Years ago, I did also use an adapter that ran through the cassette deck, but I don't even know if they still make any of those for use any more...never mind that I still have a cassette deck in all of the vehicles...

It MAY also be worth checking whether there is an aux-in plug behind the dash...I know one of my vehicles has an aux-in for a satellite unit to be hooked up. It would require being able to get to the back of the in-dash unit, but it nonetheless is an option in some instances.

HisHeart31
07-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Can anyone help me connect my iPhone to my car cd player or speakers? I have heard of FM transmitters and FM modulators, etc...I am not sure what to use. Any product recommendations? I do not have an auxiliary port of any sort. Any help would be appreciated! I would love to be able to listen to the music on my phone on those long drives to visitation!

I went to best buy and bought an "Aux cable" not sure if thats the proper term but the guy knew what I was talking about in the car/cd player department. It's just a little cord that plugs into your iphone and then into your car where it says Aux. On my car I have the option of FM/AM, CD, AUX. I just press Aux when my iphone is connected and my calls, my iheartradio, pandora and itunes go through my car speakers. It's really easy and it's a fairly cheap cord to get!
Hope this helps!

Sad_Eyes
07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think I have an aux cable jack thingy, and my stereo is factory stock so it is unlikely. I would guess I would have to go with the modulator or transmitter although I heard there is static. I am going to check out Walmart tonight and see what they have. Thanks for all the advice!!

CenTexLyn
07-27-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think I have an aux cable jack thingy, and my stereo is factory stock so it is unlikely. I would guess I would have to go with the modulator or transmitter although I heard there is static. I am going to check out Walmart tonight and see what they have. Thanks for all the advice!!

Granted, it has been about a decade since I had to get the one I used in the Miata, but it allowed for tuning on something like three or four different frequencies. I was always able to get it tuned to a frequency that wasn't static-y...

The other thing would be to see if you can get some external speakers for the device...since you are running a bone-stock factory unit, you may actually get better sound quality that way.

Mellymel418
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't know if you have a cassette tape player in your car too? But if you do you can get a cassette tape that has a cord attached and you put the tape in and plug your cord into your iPod or iPhone and it will play the music for you! I'm not sure if they have a one for cd players though! Check at Best Buy they maybe able to help you!