View Full Version : Gov. Bobby Jindal signs bill that will fold Board of Parole into pardon boa

LifeTraveler
06-14-2012, 06:04 AM
BATON ROUGE -- The state's Board of Parole will be eliminated and its duties given to the pardon board under a bill signed into law by Gov. Bobby Jindal Tuesday. The governor also signed into law a prohibition on selling cats and dogs on most public properties. The state's Board of Pardon, which traditionally makes recommendations on which prisoners should be granted a commuted sentence by the governor, will be expanded to take over work now done by the parole board, as a result of House Bill 518 by Rep. Joseph Lopinto III, R-Metairie (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/04/pardon_board_merger_clears_lou.html). The combined board, which will now have two additional members, will gain the responsibility to recommend when an inmate deserves parole.

The rest of the article can be found here (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/06/gov_bobby_jindal_signs_bill_th.html).

LifeTraveler
06-15-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but this new bill signed into law concerns me deeply. We FINALLY had a parole board that was actually educated as to what would constitute the guidelines to release an inmate to parole.

Now, we are going to have WHAT? This is deeply disturbing to me.

knordyke
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
I have been over at DOC frequently in the past couple of weeks handling parole cases. The last hearings that I have before the "merged board" takes over are in July. As of August, the boards will be consolidated. I think we will probably know the general composition of the new board within a few weeks. Hopefully the transition will be seamless and there won't be too much change.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this new bill signed into law concerns me deeply. We FINALLY had a parole board that was actually educated as to what would constitute the guidelines to release an inmate to parole.

Now, we are going to have WHAT? This is deeply disturbing to me.

spiffy-heart
06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Knordyke, and LT, do you have any idea if this is positive or negative? I don't want to be a nay sayer right off the bat, just because I hate Louisiana. Also, is there any way a man can work toward getting an earlier chance at parole, when his conviction said he was inelegance for three whole years?

Spiffy heart
Mother of a good son

knordyke
06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Can't tell whether it is positive or not until we see which board members survive the merger.

Can't answer the second question without the master prison record and the sentencing minutes. It might also require the transcript to sort it out. If you have been told 3 years, then it is probably 3 years.

Knordyke, and LT, do you have any idea if this is positive or negative? I don't want to be a nay sayer right off the bat, just because I hate Louisiana. Also, is there any way a man can work toward getting an earlier chance at parole, when his conviction said he was inelegance for three whole years?

Spiffy heart
Mother of a good son