View Full Version : Heading to Terminal Island - need some guidance

lufkin57
06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
:( I am going to be going to Terminal Island, im not sure when yet but I am very worried and actually quite scared. I have seen some of the posts for Terminal Island but if someone would be willing to tell me about it and help ease my mind a bit I would be forever grateful!
Are there any good things about this place and what are the bad things?
Most likely the only family I have left will pass away while I'm incarcerated. I have money but how can I get it if there is no one to send it? Please help?

MiniMoose
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
lufkin57,

I can't tell you about the facility but, if you know your register number, you can send yourself a money order just before you go in.

If you go to the BOP website the address for the lockbox and other instructions can be found there.

Here's a link to that page.

Inmate Money (http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp)

lufkin57
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Can i send the money order in for as much as I want? Like do they have a trust fund or something?

fbopnomore
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Here's a link to the bop inmate money page. If he has unpaid fines or restitution, the amount of money they will take from his inmate account towards it will depend on how much money is deposited to the account. It is a trust fund, so whatever money that is deposited will be available for as long as it takes him to spend it.

http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp

lufkin57
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
So I guess from what I am understanding is that my family can deposit, oh, say $6000.00 (yeah right lol) and the BOP keeps it in a trust fund that I can use up to the $275 a month spending limit? Is this correct?
Thank you so much for helping me with these questions!

fbopnomore
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
That's correct. If you plan to use the phone or email systems, you will be able to transfer money from your inmate account to pay for them too. I think the spending limit is $320.00 a month now, but postage stamps and some medicines don't count towards it either.

lufkin57
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I actually found out a couple of things today, some good news and bad news. The good news is that I can probably go to 1 of 3 low security prizons in the west, Lompoc, Terminal Island or Safford. Can anyone tell me which one is best or better than the others?
I was thinking Terminal island would be good but I heard from an inmate/friend that is doing time there that he doesnt get to like watch T.V. because they are taken over by ethnic groups and he is not of the same race, he also said he is supposed to get his insulin 3 times a day and only gets it once and never on holidays. He has had 3 heart attacks before he went in and they wont give him his heart medications. Very discouraging for me to hear this but he keeps a possative attitude. He says most of the CO's are very crooked also but wouldnt go into how or what they do. Can someone please answer my questions? I am getting much more worried now lol.

fbopnomore
06-14-2012, 12:20 PM
The problems your friend detailed are not at all uncommon in the bop. TV rooms are almost always "reserved" and it is best to never go into any of them. In some prisons, the TV's are in the common area so the only drama is what programs they will be tuned to.

With medical issues, all you can do is to continue going on sick call every day until you (hopefully) receive the medications you require. What they give you is all you will get though, no second opinions are available.

A trick I used when I was refused an antibiotic at sick call for a raging infection was to wait until the PA who told me to "come back Monday" went home. I then "fell out" in the chow hall with a full tray of food and was transported back to medical on a golf cart. I then had a second (successful) opportunity to get the medication from a different PA.

By the way, this happened one week after another inmate was sent back to his cell until Monday by the same PA. Unfortunately he died Sunday. Telling her you did the same thing last week and the guy died made absolutely no difference.

Nickel Timer
06-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Can't you buy your own personal T.V. in Federal? I know you can in most states...

MiniMoose
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
There are no personal TVs in Fedland. Completely different than State.

alwaysnauseous
06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I actually found out a couple of things today, some good news and bad news. The good news is that I can probably go to 1 of 3 low security prizons in the west, Lompoc, Terminal Island or Safford. Can anyone tell me which one is best or better than the others?
I was thinking Terminal island would be good but I heard from an inmate/friend that is doing time there that he doesnt get to like watch T.V. because they are taken over by ethnic groups and he is not of the same race, he also said he is supposed to get his insulin 3 times a day and only gets it once and never on holidays. He has had 3 heart attacks before he went in and they wont give him his heart medications. Very discouraging for me to hear this but he keeps a possative attitude. He says most of the CO's are very crooked also but wouldnt go into how or what they do. Can someone please answer my questions? I am getting much more worried now lol.

My son has been in Terminal Island for the last several months so we have a pretty good idea of the pluses and minuses. Would be more than happy to share what we know.