View Full Version : Need some advice on relocating to GA...

Gemini4lif
05-13-2004, 01:35 PM
For those of you that already live in Georgia...can anyone give me some idea of some nice places to live? I have only been to Georgia twice and the two times I went the only place I saw was Griffin...and I don't want to move there. I checked the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the counties I found were Douglas, Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnet and Clayton that had some decent prices on rentals and some administrative job listings as well. Anyone able to give me some insight to narrow my search down?

Thanks a bunch.

Patrice

beckylee
05-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Check out Bartow County and Cherakee County.
Becky
Jerry's Mom

For those of you that already live in Georgia...can anyone give me some idea of some nice places to live? I have only been to Georgia twice and the two times I went the only place I saw was Griffin...and I don't want to move there. I checked the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the counties I found were Douglas, Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnet and Clayton that had some decent prices on rentals and some administrative job listings as well. Anyone able to give me some insight to narrow my search down?

Thanks a bunch.

Patrice

sexyvoice
05-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Bartow and Cherokee county are probably not for you Gemini4lif, truss (sorry beckylee)! Anyway, PM me, I live in Lithonia and work in Atlanta. I moved here five years ago and love it but if I had someone to tell me where to go, then it would have taken me a shorter time to settle. We'll talk...

~BabyG~
05-17-2004, 07:17 AM
gemini4life,

I actually live in Cobb county and work in Cobb county. The further you go into Atlanta, the more expensive it gets. Of course the further north you go the cheeper in gets. Are you looking into getting an apartment? I live in one now that is beautiful. You could always get hooked up with a temporary agency that can find a job for you. PM me if you have any questions. GOOD LUCK!!

AHELPTOG
05-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Well, First Where Are You Moving From ? You Are Coming Here For What ? These Things Help Determine Where Here You'd Be Most Comfortable Fitting In. I've Lived Several Different Areas, But Your Employment Needs & Housing Requirements Are Vip !!!

Gemini4lif
05-17-2004, 08:26 AM
AHELPTOG,

I am moving from Northern Virginia (Alexandria...20 min from Washington, DC). I am coming to GA because my soon to be husband is incarcerated in GA and will need a home to parole to upon his release. Since he already absconded once from GA to come to VA, I dont want to even go through the hassle of trying to get his parole transferred, so we decided I would move to GA.

Thanks

Patrice

strongernow
05-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I grew up in Cherokee/Cobb and it has really grown lately especially the past 5 years, but I would say that is more like a family suburb area. My parents live in Cobb now and it's pretty nice and close to the city. When I first lived on my own I lived in Marietta, just north of Atlanta which is a nice area with lots around, lots to do and very close to the city...I actually lived there and worked in Buckhead so you don't even have to take the highway fromt here and deal with all the HORRENDOUS traffic. If you need help finding places to look around as far as apartments and stuff, let me know... I used to work for a property management co. and still have lots of contacts down there :)

angelbenham
05-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I live in Bartow County, It is a nice place to live if you have a family, and the cost of housing is not that bad. However Cobb county might be more for you, depending on what type of work you do, because it is a little closer to the Metro Atlanta area, but it is a little bit more expensive to live their.

1dayatatime
05-17-2004, 05:27 PM
What about LaGrange? Its about 30-45 minutes from Atlanta there is alot there. Large Hospital/medical park and lots of Industry. Its also about 30 minutes from Columbus which is a great place.

Gemini4lif
05-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas....At least now when I am looking I have an idea of where/what to look for.

You guys are great.

Thanks again.

Patrice

Rona
05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
I just moved here in December from Oregon. I live in Atlanta and I love it. My office is in Midtown so I can easily take the train to work. Traffic can be a challenge at times too. I guess it depends on where you work and what you are willing to spend. I found a great apartment that's pretty cheap. The only downfall is that there is a lot of college students here which means it can get rowdy at times. There are a couple of good relocation companies that will assist you for free. PM me if you are interested. Good luck with your move!

rscott
05-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I too lived in the DC area. I didn't read all of the other replies because of time but if you move north of I-285 in Gwinnett, Fulton county you can get anyplace easy. I live in Gwinnett and everything is new up this way with new malls, new apartments and lots of new eating places. If you need specific advice e-mail me. rogerscottmail@aol.com

Gemini4lif
05-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Oh Thanks so much! I am not planning on moving for about a year now, since my husband isnt getting out for another 18 months anyway, so its not that much of a rush now...thank goodness! I will be making some trips down to GA in the future to really see where would be best for us to live.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. It is greatly appreciated.

Patrice