View Full Version : Instead Of Doing 85% Of Time Now 65%

Pages : [1] 2

sammy18
05-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Has Anyone Heard Of A New Law They Are Coming Out With In June? Well It Would Be That Instead Of Doing 85% Of Your Time It Will Be 65%.......is This True? My Husband Badly Wants To Know!

kreepsgirl
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I would love to know myself! Keep me posted if anything is found out to be true please.

sweetpea
05-13-2004, 02:10 PM
are you asking about federal or state? I see you are from California, is that where you need to know about????

kreepsgirl
05-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Sweetpea! I am asking about state. Why? Do you know anything?

sammy18
05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
yes state......

storm0830
05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
:angry: i called the ill. dept of corrections and they say there is no pending bill for that,they say it is just talk,hope this helps :(

Twits
06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
My guy is in Federal prison and he has also heard rumors that a bill is pending to reduce time served from 85% to 65%. Several guys have mentioned it to him. Has anything changed there?

Thanks, Twits

cjjack
06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
twits, nothing has changed concerning a reduction from 85% to 65% percent in the federal system. You might want to check out the H.R. 4036 Federal Parole Bill and LERA in the federal forum.

jacksonchiniti
07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
:angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :angry: :confused:
Can anyone help me to understand the law and how it works? My man received a three year sentence for the sale of marijuana, which he had to do on paper. He told me that the three years were reduced because of the 85% mess. He revoked his probation due to not meeting with his P.O. in a timely manner. Anyway will he have to do the full time?

Help Me

kwdnow
07-14-2004, 09:37 AM
This is the federal legislation information, which is gaining a lot of momentum. Senator Hatch is even talking about introducing it on the Senate side.
The Two Million Signature Campaign

We are shooting for over 2,000,000 signatures on the LERA petition!
http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html (http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html)

That is one signature for every person incarcerated in the United States!
http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html (http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html)

H.R.4752
Title: To amend title 18, United States Code, to award credit toward the service of a sentence to prisoners who participate in designated educational, vocational, treatment, assigned work, or other developmental programs, and for other purposes.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.04752 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.04752):

Help make this a reality!

Pass it on!
www.advocareflash.org (http://www.advocareflash.org/)

www.fppp.org (http://www.fppp.org/)

www.vacure.org (http://www.vacure.org/)

http://******************/group/LERAlegislation/ (http://******************/group/LERAlegislation/)
Also, I know that Virginia has a similar piece sitting in committee, and Iowa, New Hampshire and others have looked at this type of legislation.

Virginia's SB75
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=041&typ=bil&val=sb75

blink3557
07-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Has Anyone Heard Of A New Law They Are Coming Out With In June? Well It Would Be That Instead Of Doing 85% Of Your Time It Will Be 65%..... ..is This True? My Husband Badly Wants To Know! Hi sammy18, I just got out of county and heard the same thing. some guys said it was in effect but I never found out for sure. Have you had any luck or response. I'm still looking at prison time and I appreciate any help. Most of the guys in jail hadn't had any luck finding out from thier attorneys. let me know if you found anything out. Thanks blink3557

Manzanita
07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have info for this in New York?

DinoGsBooBoo
07-26-2004, 10:18 PM
:angry: My boyfriend is locked up in a Missouri Correctional Center and he told me that there is a roomer around there that there is a bill in effect that is supposed to drop the 85% law, but I haven't been able to find anything on it either. I spend hours on line trying to find information about this. If I hear anything I will let you know, please do the same for me. He was sentenced to 12 years and must serve 85% of his sentence, which is 9 years. He has done 3 and a half, so only 6 more years to go!!!

nettie
07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
A Great Place to get information about the 85% Rule...Reductions, Paroles, etc... Go to C.U.R.E. website.
There is a federal law called L.E.R.A. that is being considered for reduction of up to 50% (15 days for every 30 days). 2 Million signatures are needed right now to get it passed on the federal level... Go to C.U.R.E. and sign the petition online. Once the Federal Law is passed, the state will/must follow... So get behind this bill.
When I find out the exact website of the Petition I will post it...But C.U.R.E. has it and it can be found here at Prison Talk Online under Petitions. There is also a Virginia Bill which is similar to the L.E.R.A. If you are not from Virginia, then you must sign the L.E.R.A. Bill only... But if you are from Virginia or have a relative in Virginia then you must sign both Bills L.E.R.A (Federal) and SB75 (State)....
Time is Running out to sign Both Bills...

nettie
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HERE IS THE INFORMATION REGARDING SIGNING THE PETITION TO REDUCE YOUR LOVEONES SENTENCE...IT STARTS WITH THIS FEDERAL BILL AND WILL GO DOWN TO THE STATES... SO IT IS UP TO YOU TO SIGN IT, UP TO YOU TO PASS THE WORD AND GET EVERY PERSON THAT YOU KNOW TO SIGN IT AND HAVE THEM TO SPREAD THE WORD TO GET THE 2 MILLION SIGNATURES... DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO IT!
ALL THE BEST

We, in the Federal Forum, are trying to get 2,000,000 signatures to help the Lera Bill get passed. As it stands, Fed inmates get a whooping 54 days good time a year, this bill will try to increase that by 60 more days. There is no parole in the Fed system. They do 85% of their sentence. It sucks

I am imploring you to sign this petition and forward it to any of your friends or family members that might sign. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks! Kim

http://www.petitiononline.com/LERA/petition.html

Anthony'sWife
07-26-2004, 11:35 PM
I have posted a thread about this and I havent really gotten a response, my husband is in a NY state correctional facility and I would love to find out if this is true

tatalacubana
07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
im in miami i would like to know about the 65% ooh man that would reallly be qreat lets alll pray it does come true :rolleyes:

Manzanita
07-27-2004, 09:07 AM
antonys wife, I was told there is no real law...i put information on the new york state site about it, early release laws...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------SHERRIEC09 also told me this....

If you want specific answers mrs g, I would highly recommend you call your states CDC and talk to someone who can explain it to you. Tell them exactly what your husbands sentence was and if there were any restrictions, like 85%, 65% required, etc. It would help if you had the exact state codes that he was charged with. All of them. )There is always more than one!!!! grrrr...)
And yes, good time credits actually equal out to about 1/3 of the sentence, so 65% would be about right. Also find out if he was eligible for half time credits, work credits, etc., whatever your state allows or has. So call CDC and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Good luck Mrs G!

Anthony'sWife
07-27-2004, 03:34 PM
thank you so much Mrs G, I will Inquire about this, we just have to keep inquiring about it, hey u never know and for all of us this could be a dream come true

Manzanita
07-27-2004, 03:36 PM
well for me, he is almost there anyway, and they will not let him go before his CR in 2006 but I hope it comes true for everyone else!

nettie
07-29-2004, 12:10 AM
The primary Bill which is called LERA (federa bill) once passed, once receiving the necessary signatures would give strength to all STATE proposed Bills. For example, the state of Virginia has a Bill SB75 which allowances are up to 50% for exemplary behavior and/or education. It also includes most violent criminal. It is considered a second chance typed bill. Virginia currently has no parole. No BILLS have been passed as of yet, but they are out there and being decided in the upcoming year 2005. Most state bills follow the FEDERAL Bill, so it is imperitive that we all get behind the LERA Bill. If you don't know about it, go to the website and read up about it. Contact C.U.R.E. immediately. The LERA Bill (federal) was adopted by CURE and introduced by US Congressman Scott (VA). The SB 75 Bill (state) was adopted by Virginia CURE and introduced by state senator. As for DOC being able to assist regarding these Bills, they can't for they haven't become LAW. If you wish CHANGE in your love ones circumstances, you must get involve. You must be in it to Win It!!!
We can debate it all we want, but it is the signatures, the letters to your state senators, letters to your US Senators that they HEAR... Also, know that when federal and state bills are passed, they will be retroactive, so your loveone's behavior yesterday, today, and tomorrow will determine their allowances and date of release. It's all about EARNED SECOND CHANCES!!!

All the Best

eclovescc
08-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey... any news on New York?

Reikimom
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Any word of Michigan?

nettie
08-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Have you signed the LERA Bill yet? If not, you should ASAP. It is like the masterprint for the States to follow. The LERA bill has not passed and needs 2 million signatures and currently it is a long way from it. We need to spread the word and get everyone involved. I am simply a mother with my only child incarcerated for 30 years on a first time offense, working to get both LERA(federaL) AND SB 75 (state of Virginia) bill passed. To find out about your state and what they are doing to propose and pass a Good Conduct and Literacy Bill for State incarcerated persons you should contact C.U.R.E.; your local CURE, your State Legislators and the Gov of your state. Put the question to them...What are they doing towards decrease in "Recidivism" through increase rehabilitation through Good Conduct Allowances and Mandatory Literacy?
I also suggest you go online to Virginia General Assembly and type in the box on the right side SB75 and read this bill. To read it fully, click on the words "full impact". make copies of it and write your legislator or CURE to propose it to your legislator. The point to everyone, is you got to be in it to win it. You can't sit by and wait on someone else to make it happen. Remember, there are many out there that want to keep yours and mine loveones lock forever, regardless... They don't believe in Earned Second Chances...and they are the ones writing the state and federal legislators. Lastly, I believe in active involvement of incarcerated persons. Write them and inform them about the comings and goings of the bills and tell them to pass the word around to their families, friends and loveones. Think about this, if every incarcerated person's family, friend and/or loveone wrote and DEMANDED CHANGE, think of the number of letters that would be and the impact it would make. Currently, there are hundreds of thousands of incarcerated persons (state and federal) yet, the total number that has signed the petition online is shameful...Where are the signatures? We cry unfair and inhumane and here we have a chance to get fair and humane treatment within the Sentencing of all persons, and the proof is in the number of signatures. Some say, well it's for the federal incarcerated only and for non-violent incarcerated persons...and why should I get involve...for my person is in a state facility...Well guess what, the federal sets the tone for the state...and in Virginia the proposed bill (it hasn't pass yet) is stronger than the Federal...it offers 50% opposed to the federal 65%...it includes violent offenders whom have displayed true rehabilitation. Secondly, without the Federal Bill, you can almost bet no State will feel pressured to do so. Thirdly, it's the Right thing to do regardless!!! Never discriminate about justice, fairness and humanity. It's a Right for all People!!! and Lastly, you never know, you, a family member or loveone may someday rely upon that Federal Bill...
Thank you for your time.

also to view Virginia Bill: Virginia General Assembly
type in SB75
click on highlighted words full impact

joesangel
08-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Here is an article I found on that subject in my local newspaper, maybe someone can find more info through this:

Thursday, June 24, 2004
Copyright Las Vegas Review-Journal

EDITORIAL: Prison terms

It may seem bizarre that such a common-sense approach would even need to be debated, but it is nevertheless good news that the American Bar Association on Wednesday advocated that long prison terms be reserved for the most violent and incorrigible criminals.

You might ask: Well, isn't that the way it is now? Not necessarily.

Thanks to legislators terrified of being labeled soft on crime, our nation's prison population has soared over the past few decades, largely due to the incarceration of nonviolent offenders caught up in "mandatory minimum" sentencing laws. The cost to taxpayers has been billions.

The ABA's report was accepted by Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, who has previously embraced abolishing the mandatory minimum approach. "Society ought to ask itself how it's allocating its resources," he said Wednesday. "The phrase `tough on crime' should not be a substitute for moral reflection."

Indeed.

The ABA will vote later this year whether to embrace the report's conclusions. It should do just that.

And then it should mount a vigorous lobbying effort in Washington, D.C., and state capitals across the country, urging lawmakers to embrace policies designed to ensure that our harshest prison sentences are applied only to truly violent and serious offenders.

advocate
08-10-2004, 12:36 PM
No this is not true - this is a rumor that weaves through the institutions at least once every six months. It would reguire an act of Congress - most unlikely in an election year:(
Advocate

QUOTE=sammy18]Has Anyone Heard Of A New Law They Are Coming Out With In June? Well It Would Be That Instead Of Doing 85% Of Your Time It Will Be 65%.......is This True? My Husband Badly Wants To Know![/QUOTE]

BRIAN'S GIRL
08-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Any Thing About Wv

kintml2u
08-15-2004, 08:11 PM
No change in Good Time Federally

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No this is not true - this is a rumor that weaves through the institutions at least once every six months. It would reguire an act of Congress - most unlikely in an election year
Advocate

There is a Parole Bill in Congress....please check out the Federal Prison Forum or Fed-CURE for more information!

Diane

ChandaMija
09-16-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm searching www.altavista.com for these that are asking about the changes. PM me for anything... but don't expect anything, k? :)

ChandaMija
09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Yes, I found something for every state and I'm gonna make a new thread in this forum.

eppsgrl70
09-16-2004, 02:31 PM
oKay I'm confused....my honey was sentenced to 5 years but 4 were suspended and the 1 year to be served in the county jail. He's considered a non-violent felon. He was told by inmates he only had to do 85% of his time but has yet to recieve his release date. When I called records they wouldn't tell me. How do we find this out and if this 85% is true or not? We figure that means he will actually serve 10 months and 20 some days. Any help? We're in VA.

Grace1
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
3053 Total Signatures

thats a long way from 2 million..... sign!!!

Soulangel
09-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Greetings...
ok I just need to know what is true and what is not and if I need to sign the petition where would I do so at?

Mecca

missingjr
09-16-2004, 10:57 PM
is it LERA?

ChandaMija
09-17-2004, 02:21 AM
:( My computer got rebooted and I didn't remember the URL website addresses! :angry: I didn't realize it'd be this hard to recover and post these links in states' forums! But here it goes with good time percentage for states as of 1997... (shrugs)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/tssp.pdf

I'm tellin' ya that Altavista comes up with TONS of stuff! Too many to post here.

kintml2u
09-17-2004, 06:05 AM
is it LERA?

LERA does not cut back time to 65%. If passed, it would allow for more earned good time credit.

The parole bill...would cut back to 65%...if passed.

Neither one of these will pass this year...but both will be reintroduced after elections or with the new session.

None....None of this will ever happen without the help from all of us! We need to show our support and educate those who Represent us!

These are for FEDERAL Prisoners.....

OneCertainOne
09-17-2004, 02:03 PM
:( I'm not sure about CA but in VA it was passed by the House of Delegates unanimously but denied by the rest of the General Assembly. :slap:

Don't lose hope.

Also, keep in mind that only non-violent offenders qualify. Every year they will be evaluated and if it is decided that they have been productive and an ideal inmate they will be credited 1/2 year to be taken off of their sentance. So the time credited wouldn't be given to just anyone.

Those interested can look at the e-mail and response I sent to the VA Parole Board. At the end of the e-mail is a link to the page on the VA's General Assembly website with the full details of the ammendment proposed to the bill. It will probably be similar to what they try to pass next year.

-----Original Message-----
From: VA Parole Board Mailbox [mailto:vaparolebd@vadoc.state.va.us]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 8:05 AM
To:
Subject: RE: New Guidelines Effective July 1, 2004????

This bill was not passed by the General Assembly so it is not in effect. No action or changes will occur based on this proposed bill.

Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 5:07 PM

To: staff@pfss.org; fcn@fcnnetwork.org; comm.@dss.state.va.us; dkade@city.virginia-beach.va.us; VA Parole Board Mailbox

Subject: New Guidelines Effective July 1, 2004????

I'm interested in anyone's comments to the attached. My boyfriend is currently serving time in Norther Virginia however he has not received any official information regarding this amendment to the "good conduct allowance" which seems to of been passed in Feb of 04. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this and whether or not it is real?

Thanks,

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=041&typ=bil&val=HB362

OneCertainOne
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has responded to you yet but as far as VA goes, if you are serving a year or less, they will keep him in the county jail and not send him down to the state prision system. It's VA law for them to do 85% of their time. If you call the magistrate's office for that county and ask when his release date is, they should tell you. It's public information and anyone should be able to get it. Good Luck

eppsgrl70
09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I tried that One and they told me that only the inmate could get that information. He was told by another inmate that it took him 5 months to get his release date. He's in Hanover county and they weren't very nice. He was sentenced in King William County but transferred to Hanover for work release. I just wrote a letter to his sentencing judge requesting house arrest. His offense was non-violent. He drove after having his license suspended and being declared a habitual offender.

nettie
09-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi there,
I am no expert in the above bills, however if you want the conclusive answer to any of the State of Virginia Bills, Go to http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?041+ful+SB75
OR: Virginia General Assembly and type in Bill SB75 or HB362

1. SB 75 and HB 362 are identical Bills. HB 362 was introduced and Passed in the State House Legislation. SB 75 is the State Senate version of the State House Bill HB 362.

2. On Feb 04, 2004 the Virginia State House Passed the HB 362 Bill and sent it to the State Senate.

3. On Feb 06, 2004, the Virginia State Senate Continued the Bill which is now named SB 75. It was Referred to Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services. It was Continued to January, 2005. Therefore, it was NOT PASSED BUT CONTINUED within their State Senate Committee for further review until January, 2005. Therefore, the Application for this Bill DID NOT GO INTO EFFECT IN JULY, 2004.

The BILL IS NOT DEAD, HOWEVER, IT WILL BE IF WE DON'T UNITE AND DEMAND THAT THE COMMITTEE ON REHABILITATION AND SOCIAL SERVICES APPROVE THE BILL FOR PASSING IN JANUARY, 2005. TIME IS RAPIDLY APPROACHING AND WE NEED TO GET ON BOARD AND WRITE: Virginia General Assembly, c/o State Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services. Call for information: 1-800-889-0229, (804) 698-1990, House of Delegates (804) 698-1500, for the Senate Legislative (804) 698-7410.

For Contacting your Legislator go to: http://legis.state.va.us/CitizensGuide/ContactingMyLegislator.htm

4. As to whether this BILL is for NON and VIOLENT OFFENDERS, READ THE BILL IN IT'S ENTIRETY AT: http//leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?041+ful+SB75. It addresses both Non-Violent and Violent Offenders, It addresses Life Sentences, It address those exempt from the Bill. From my conclusion Some Violent Offenders are included and the exemptions are stated here.

5. What are the HB 362 and SB75 Bills: "The proposed legislatiion has two primary purposes--the establishment of a good conduct allowance system for state inmates and of a mandatory functional literacy program for state inmates." "state law requires that persons sentenced to Virginia's correctional system serve at least 85 percent of their sentence before being released. This legislation would enable an inmate to earn good conduct allowances that would reduce his sentence beyond this threshold."
"Any person who, on or after January 1, 1995, has been sentenced upon a conviction of murder in the first degree, rap in violation of 18.2-61, forcible sodomy, animate or inanimate object sexual penetration or aggravated sexual battery and any person who has been sentence to a term of life imprisonment or two or more life sentences shall be classifed within the system established by 53.1-201. Such person shall be eligible for no more than five days good conduct allowance for each 30 days served regardless of the class to which is assigned. Additional good conduct allowance may be approved by the Board of Correctiions for such persons in accordance with 53-1-191." All others fall under the below listed Classification:

Classification for Good Conduct Allowances:
Class 1 - exemplary conduct. 15 days credit for each 30 days served
Class 2 - Satifactory conduct. 10 days credit for each 30 days served.
Class 3 - Marginal conduct. 5 days credit for each 30 days served.
Class 4 - Unsatisfactory conduct. 0 days credit for each 30 days served.

6. Virginia Bill SB 75 and HB 362 are NOT part of Federal LERA BILL.
They are two separate BILLS. SB75 and HB 362 are for the State of Virginia incarcerated persons in DOC only. LERA Bill is a FEDERAL Bill for ALL States housing FEDERAL prisoners in their State. HOWEVER, through the passing of the LERA bill will give Strength to all STATE PROPOSED BILLS SUCH AS SB75 AND HB 362. THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT WE SUPPORT ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS VIRGINIA CURE, CURE NATIONALLY AND OTHERS TOWARDS THE PASSING OF THE LERA BILLS AS WELL AS OUR LOCAL STATE BILLS.

7. FEDERAL LERA BILL PROPOSES 65% Reduction and the State of Virginia SB 75 and HB 362 Proposes UP TO 50% Reduction. The State of Virginia SB 75 and HB 362 Proposed Bill include both Non and Violent Offenders whom have shown and documented Rehabilitation and avoidance of Recidivism.

ALL BILLS, STATE AND FEDERAL DEMAND OUR SUPPORT. There is another Bill proposed named "SECOND CHANCE ACT", WHICH ESTABLISHES A NATIONAL OFFENDER REENTRY RESOURCE CENTER, which would provide help and training for govenments, religious organizations and social service agencies that help ex-prisoners. Creates a federal task force to report to Congress on what works and what doesn't and the barriers the federal government imposes on ex-prisoners' return to society. Removes the age limit of 60 for grandparents to receive support and services while caring for grandchildren when a parent is in prison. Allows some ex-prisoners to get student loans that they are now barred from receiving. Gives grants for mentoring, mental health and drug treatment and housing aid. It goes towards Our Individual Safety that we unites for the sake of Rehabilitation and avoidance of Recidivism, by supporting, demanding the passing of ALL and any other Bills which offer EARNED Second Chances for those whom wish to REPENT their Lives.

ALL THE BEST

:( I'm not sure about CA but in VA it was passed by the House of Delegates unanimously but denied by the rest of the General Assembly. :slap:

Don't lose hope.

Also, keep in mind that only non-violent offenders qualify. Every year they will be evaluated and if it is decided that they have been productive and an ideal inmate they will be credited 1/2 year to be taken off of their sentance. So the time credited wouldn't be given to just anyone.

Those interested can look at the e-mail and response I sent to the VA Parole Board. At the end of the e-mail is a link to the page on the VA's General Assembly website with the full details of the ammendment proposed to the bill. It will probably be similar to what they try to pass next year.

From: VA Parole Board Mailbox [mailto:vaparolebd@vadoc.state.va.us]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 8:05 AM
To:
Subject: RE: New Guidelines Effective July 1, 2004????

This bill was not passed by the General Assembly so it is not in effect. No action or changes will occur based on this proposed bill.

Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 5:07 PM

To: staff@pfss.org; fcn@fcnnetwork.org; comm.@dss.state.va.us; dkade@city.virginia-beach.va.us; VA Parole Board Mailbox

Subject: New Guidelines Effective July 1, 2004????

I'm interested in anyone's comments to the attached. My boyfriend is currently serving time in Norther Virginia however he has not received any official information regarding this amendment to the "good conduct allowance" which seems to of been passed in Feb of 04. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this and whether or not it is real?

Thanks,

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=041&typ=bil&val=HB362

nettie
09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
REGARDING THE LERA( Good Conduct Earnings) BILL 65% ALLOWANCE - FEDERAL BILL FOR FEDERAL PRISONERS RESIDING IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA

CONTACT FOR THE STATE OF VIRGINIA:
Jean Auldridge, Director
Citizens United for Rehabiliatation of Errants-Virginia, INC
Virginia CURE
PO Box 19453
Alexandria, VA 23230-0443
Phone and Fax: (703) 765-6549
Web Site: www.vacure.org

LERA IS A NATIONAL BILL...YOU CAN CONTACT THEM FOR YOUR LOCAL STATE C.U.R.E PROGRAM....

ALL THE BEST

myjutebe
09-23-2004, 02:50 PM
I just signed the petition. My husband is a first time offender and he got 6 years at 85% for a bar fight so I would really be interested in the 50%. PLEASE if anyone finds out, please let me know.

Thank you.

Laurie

babypokie
09-23-2004, 06:26 PM
I just signed the petition. My husband is a first time offender and he got 6 years at 85% for a bar fight so I would really be interested in the 50%. PLEASE if anyone finds out, please let me know.

Thank you.

Laurie I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR HUBBY TIRED OF THE JUDES TAKING THING IN THERE OWN HAND THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO MY SON. BE STONG AND FIGHT FOR HIS RIGHTS:thumbsup:

Soulangel
09-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Ok.... I really need to find out if there is any hope for NC changing anyof these darn structure sentencing rules. If there is anyone who could point me a a direction it woul be greatly appreciated. And any NC people wanting to change some of these stupid rules. Please lets start a Nc committe or something, cause I really need my man home. Please contact me anytime.

Mecca

pcgwomack
09-26-2004, 02:06 PM
We are in Oklahoma and this same rumor is now circulating about a possible reduction of the 85% law to a 65% law. Do you know if this is so and how can we research this?:confused:

Has Anyone Heard Of A New Law They Are Coming Out With In June? Well It Would Be That Instead Of Doing 85% Of Your Time It Will Be 65%.......is This True? My Husband Badly Wants To Know!

JerseySeagull
09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I read the petition and obviously signed it. My question is though that if the state must/will follow how would that effect the NERA in Jersey? My husband was found guilty of vehicular homicide (first time ever offense) and must serve 85% of a 7 year sentence. Would this count since he is considered a "violent" criminal?

pati
09-26-2004, 03:05 PM
They have been talking about 65 v. 85 and 35 v. 50 for about the past 7 years in California. On the inside the rumors really get flying in regards to it. It is true that the idea gets brought up in Saramento on a regular basis, nothing seems to become of it. Which is true about what happened when they first put 50% in effect. Also, every time a crime is committed by a parolee the papers make a big point of the fact that the persom committing the crime was on parole and if they were still inside the crime would not have happened. So..............if it happens it happens.........

nettie
09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
I think what is being confused are the proposed individual State Sentence Reduction Bills with the Federal LERA Bill. They are Separate. For example, in the state of Virginia, there is the Federal LERA Bill for federal institutions/prisons and then there is the SB 75 aka HB 362 Bill. Now the LERA Bill seeks reduction to 65% and the State of Virginia Bill SB 75 seeks 50%. The SB 75 Bill is for all incarcerated persons in the state of Virginia, both non-violent and violent (except 1st degree murder and sexual assault convictions). With the LERA Bill, I understand that this is for non-violent incarcerated persons (I could be mistaken).

We must become involve with ALL bills, federal, state, your state, my state and so on.
Pass experience has shown that the local States tend to follow Federal law, so getting behind the LERA bill by signing the petition is a MUST. Finding out your states proposed laws concerning sentencing of incarcerated persons, should be a MUST.
DEMANDING that your state make changes in the currently laws which are unfair should be a MUST for us all. What applies to my home today, may apply to yours tomorrow and vice versa.

If you reside in a state where these Bills keep coming up in local state legislator sessions, yet they never get passed, then you need to find out why, because just the fact that they are on the table for discussion, for vote, is Good News and gives it a Chance to Become LAW.

The Proposed Local Bill for the State of Virginia, SB75 is a very Good Bill, because it is not a "Get out of Jail for Free Bill", it is a EARN your way towards Rehabiliation, for a Second Chance and avoidance of Recidivism. It is a win/win situation for all sides. It was only passed in the state House of Delgates, and is currently with the state Senate. Virginia is a tough state, next to Texas to get anything Passed, but we are working on it. More and more people are getting on board, if not January, 2005...then maybe the next. To view our states proposed bill go to Virginia General Assembly and type in Bill SB75.
All the Best

jnsangel
06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I have heard the same thing but am being told that only the people doing 50% are being reduced to 35%. This is what they told my man who is locked up in Coalinga. I don't know what to think.....If there is any recent information on this can someone please let us all know????

Jnsangel

johnsbabygirl31
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I of course signed my husband is a 1st time offender (drugs) and his case is federal and looks like he will get 10yrs. and have to do 85% I hope they pass this law he is only 19 it would sure be good if he got out before his late 20's. :(

PitaMcnasty
06-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Man I really want that 85-65% decrease to be true!! this 85% is killing me. 65 would be much better.!!

Pita McNasty

jnsangel
06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
I think what is being confused are the proposed individual State Sentence Reduction Bills with the Federal LERA Bill. They are Separate. For example, in the state of Virginia, there is the Federal LERA Bill for federal institutions/prisons and then there is the SB 75 aka HB 362 Bill. Now the LERA Bill seeks reduction to 65% and the State of Virginia Bill SB 75 seeks 50%. The SB 75 Bill is for all incarcerated persons in the state of Virginia, both non-violent and violent (except 1st degree murder and sexual assault convictions). With the LERA Bill, I understand that this is for non-violent incarcerated persons (I could be mistaken).

We must become involve with ALL bills, federal, state, your state, my state and so on.
Pass experience has shown that the local States tend to follow Federal law, so getting behind the LERA bill by signing the petition is a MUST. Finding out your states proposed laws concerning sentencing of incarcerated persons, should be a MUST.
DEMANDING that your state make changes in the currently laws which are unfair should be a MUST for us all. What applies to my home today, may apply to yours tomorrow and vice versa.

If you reside in a state where these Bills keep coming up in local state legislator sessions, yet they never get passed, then you need to find out why, because just the fact that they are on the table for discussion, for vote, is Good News and gives it a Chance to Become LAW.

The Proposed Local Bill for the State of Virginia, SB75 is a very Good Bill, because it is not a "Get out of Jail for Free Bill", it is a EARN your way towards Rehabiliation, for a Second Chance and avoidance of Recidivism. It is a win/win situation for all sides. It was only passed in the state House of Delgates, and is currently with the state Senate. Virginia is a tough state, next to Texas to get anything Passed, but we are working on it. More and more people are getting on board, if not January, 2005...then maybe the next. To view our states proposed bill go to Virginia General Assembly and type in Bill SB75.
All the Best
Do you know how I can go about looking up this information for California? I don't know how to go about this. My man only has six months left of his sentence, but it sure would be nice to know that he could be coming home even before that!!! Please help me figure this out.
Thank you
Johns Angel

mekajh
06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
desperate for answers. my fiance' is in va @ shcc. if this 65% law goes into effect, he'll b home next thanksgiving.:angry:

BillieJo
06-14-2005, 12:34 PM
WI has 100 of the time from what I understand.. not that I want to look too far into it.. it's just too painful on top of everything else right now......

Thomas's girl
07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
My husband told me about that law as well. Supposedly it was suppose to pass on 7/1/05... but I havent been able to find anything.. have you gotten any info about it.. And is your husbands crime considered a non-violent or violent crime?

taylormade
07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
my guy is also serving an 85% crime.. i signed the petition but he'll be in state no fed custody hope things work out...

scaredinlove
07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Come on your guys we can do this..Everyone must go and sign..

worried momma
07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
what about the 50% going to 35% has anyone heard of that one ?

Jamiesheart
07-13-2005, 07:38 AM
I read your posting about wanting to know about the percentage bill that is going before the Govenor. My Jamie told me about it and I called my local senator. A girl in his office gave me this website: myscgov.com. Go there and under Senate info put 259 in the search block. That will pull it up. The govenor was supposed to sign off on it in June, but it got pushed back until January. So, we won't know anything until then. Hopefully it will pass. If it does my Jamie will get out in March instead of September. In order for them to take advantage of this they have to have no write ups or have been in trouble. Hope everything goes well for your loved one. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Love in Christ
Robin

sosweet4usmiley
07-16-2005, 11:17 PM
My guy was in PA and recently was moved to Ohio, doing federal time. When he was moved a federal marshal told me he had nothing of this change, only what was being said by the inmates. Has anyone heard any updates??

hepcatsauce
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
do not get your hopes up about 65%. unless you read it in the newspaper or see it on tv, then more than likely, what you are hearing is just a rumor. my parents and my older sis have been hearing all those rumors for years. don't believe it unless you see it yourself.

PattiD1157
07-17-2005, 12:31 PM
The "DOC RUMOR MILL" will always be there to get hopes up. Just take this situation one day at a time, hope and pray for the best. Any department of corrections will not take the steps to make life easy for us, we have out of state transfers, building more prisons, keeping them in county....could go on and on how they are readjusting to keep the guys there. It's all about MONEY....The private prison system is where the money is. Aprox. $62.00 a day per inmate. What does it cost in your state to house someone? Not that much. You figure this amount in a private prison times....oh lets say 400 inmates. Amount collected in the private prison:$24,800.00 A DAY. Go ahead with the math...for a month, year....how ever long DOC decides to keep them out of state. I would be willing to bet government grants helps here. Unless DOC and our governments has a change of heart they won't be doing too much to let our loved ones out early. Trying not to be negative and burst bubbles, but as much as we want our loved one's home....the "system" wants to keep them. :-(

Mrs.Sterdivant
01-06-2007, 12:06 AM
If there is any info about this that affects MS prisoner, please let me know. Also, if we can start a campaign to get it more out in the public/internet so we can expose it to more people and educate them about the change that we all can help make regarding this Bill we want to pass.....

Rob'sQueenBee
01-08-2007, 08:00 AM
This forum was started sometime ago, however does anyone know if this law was ever passed for Federal inmates?

shabazz shirley
01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I am new at prison talk when I submit a question where do I go to or look under to receive an answer? shirley

Mrs.Strick
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Everyone please take head to this petition. If you have loved ones or know anyone incarcerated please take the first step to getting them home sooner and sign the petition

pmitch10
01-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Thank you, kwdnow. I signed the petition. Virginia is doing a good thing. Jan. 15th they are having a gathering.

Inhousecounsel
01-12-2007, 05:47 AM
This forum was started sometime ago, however does anyone know if this law was ever passed for Federal inmates?

No, nothing has changed for the Federal system. They are still doing roughly 85%.

Jhartz
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Well in New Jersey according to my boyfriends attorney, the 65% will go into effect, but not sure when. My man heard talk around the prison (Bayside) and I asked his attorney and it is true. Some inmates might have to petition for it though. His lawyer isn't sure when it will go into effect. Hope this all helps!!!

dancindiva
02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Wow, I never heard about that. I'm from New Jersey - my BF is
doing 85% of 6.

Jhartz
02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
It hasn't taken effect yet, but his lawyer said it should happen soon. I'll keep you updated. WHere is your bf at?

Marri
02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know if this bill is going to be passed in Cali any time soon?

LongHaul
02-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Marri - no such bill pending in California right now.

pati
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
The rumor has been going around for over 10 years. No quicker place for rumors to spread than inside prison walls. Especially if it gives hope.

zunigan
02-09-2007, 09:38 PM
This rumor is always going around the prisons-a few months ago my husband asked me if I had heard anything on this. Nothing is pending in California right now. They just want to ship all the extra--inmates out of state so they have room for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pati
02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Caifornia has started moving inmates to others states. Mostly to private, for profit, run institutions. They started with those that have immigration holds.

KCampbell
02-14-2007, 07:03 PM
This from a Canadian. The Clinton adminstration is the one that put this law in effect in the first place. It stated under the Federal Guidelines of a violent crime, any State that excepts Federal Funds into it's State coffers, must enact the 85%. That means any inmate who qualifies, cannot under any circumstance, be released until they have served a minimum of 85%.

So if any State decided to reduce the time, even by 1%, it would instantly have all Federal Funds cut to zero. That includes money from everything from Highways, to Hospitals, you name it.

Ironic that Clinton did this just prior to squashing all the sentences of his friends and croonies as he dished out all those pardons.

ps. I served a US sentence during this time!

AcesBabygirl
02-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Any such bills in NC anyone know of?

forbidden love
02-16-2007, 10:47 AM
anyone know about such bills in Florida?

corcorancutie
02-17-2007, 12:33 AM
This from a Canadian. The Clinton adminstration is the one that put this law in effect in the first place. It stated under the Federal Guidelines of a violent crime, any State that excepts Federal Funds into it's State coffers, must enact the 85%. That means any inmate who qualifies, cannot under any circumstance, be released until they have served a minimum of 85%.

So if any State decided to reduce the time, even by 1%, it would instantly have all Federal Funds cut to zero. That includes money from everything from Highways, to Hospitals, you name it.

Ironic that Clinton did this just prior to squashing all the sentences of his friends and croonies as he dished out all those pardons.

ps. I served a US sentence during this time!

So what happens when the deadline in California hits and they haven't come up with a solution, if they reduce sentences then would they have all Federal Funds cut?

Alot of sense this all makes, eh?

Robin2006
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Is this in Louisiana too? Oh how I hope...Robin

pati
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
This why California is shipping people out of state to private institutions, so they can reduce the populatin and be in compliance. There was a proposal to build a couple more private ones in California. But the union for the guards, which has a lot of clout, fought it an won. They were afraid of losing control. While the private institutions do employ a few state guards, they don't have quite a many as the state facilities do. I see very little chance of the 85% for violent or repeat offenders being reduced. It's too much of a political lissue. Especially in California.

Guiltyascharged
02-18-2007, 12:45 PM
100% of the time is what they require here. I guess it's only fare. He did 100% of the crime.

LUCA BRASI
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
100% of the time is what they require here. I guess it's only fare. He did 100% of the crime.

My buddy got 8 years and has been told he can get out after.....8 years, no less.

JERRYSGIRL05
03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
the state prisons are soo messed up. i do hope things change for the better. this is ridiculous. i pray that something good happens and the time gets cut shorter cause i need my man home now. hes paying for what he did but also for what others did too. how sad that people can live with the fact that they allowed someone else to pay for their crime and live without a conscience. oh well, karma is much more harsher than prison time. lets all continue to pray, prayer is more powerful than anything else.

retsof
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks so much for that information I have already followed your website and signed the petition.

smoser
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I have signed the petition and have forwarded it to all my friends and family!!

pati
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Look at how far back the post go on this subject. The rumors go back further. I was inside starting 2002 and the rumors were flying then. Constant talk "you'll only do 35%, the ones with 85% will only do 65%" on and on and on. I did 50%, which was the norm for my first time non-violent offense. The strongest union in California is the prison guards. They do not want you doing less time, they want more prisons..period. Their lobbyist are among the highest paid in Sacramento. They wine and dine the politicians, fund trips and contribute to campaigns, etc. In other words, they own the politicians. When Sacramento talks about sending inmates out of state to private institutions to save money their union fights it harder than the inmates family's....hmmmm, I wonder why. I'm not bitter or negative, I'm a realist.

debrarobinson90
03-02-2009, 01:45 AM
so it true the 85% reduce to 65% .and is their anyway to find out .

Daveswife
03-02-2009, 01:57 AM
so it true the 85% reduce to 65% .and is their anyway to find out .
Call DOC in whatever state you're wondering about and check that states code.

Mystic_33
03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
I heard the same thing. My honey heard that in county jail...What is DOC?

melnvee
03-13-2009, 05:57 AM

I'm not sure myself. I'm actually looking for the same info. I know ther is currently a "good time bill" which is still sitting in the house of representatives. Hopefully something will go through soon!!!

Jocenana
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
In Florida it is 85% and I don't know of any law that has been passed for the 65%.
DOC is Department of Corrections or Prison so to speak.

dc_dorsey08
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
is that lera bill still needing signatures?

tolong
03-14-2009, 11:23 AM
A bill just got introduced in the house of rep's that affects only federal prison sentences. It will reduce the sentence from 85% to 65%. It doesn't change any state sentences, but we need your help to get it passed even if doesn't help you personally. Please email your rep and ask that they cosponsor this bill, PLEASE. The following link will let you know who your rep is. We are all in this together!

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

LamontLover
03-14-2009, 05:44 PM
this is only applying to thos e with Fed time? good stuff, for certain...

smoser
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I heard the same thing. My honey heard that in county jail...What is DOC?

Dept of Correction...

smoser
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
A bill just got introduced in the house of rep's that affects only federal prison sentences. It will reduce the sentence from 85% to 65%. It doesn't change any state sentences, but we need your help to get it passed even if doesn't help you personally. Please email your rep and ask that they cosponsor this bill, PLEASE. The following link will let you know who your rep is. We are all in this together!

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Usually if something passes in Fed...it can or will be passed on to State...:thumbsup:

Miffy21
03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
My guy is in Federal prison and he has also heard rumors that a bill is pending to reduce time served from 85% to 65%. Several guys have mentioned it to him. Has anything changed there?

Thanks, Twits

They are trying to change it through the USSC. Go to fedcure and write a letter helping them along. We will know for sure May 1, 2009. Thats the day they announce the admendments to the current guidelines.

smoser
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
They are trying to change it through the USSC. Go to fedcure and write a letter helping them along. We will know for sure May 1, 2009. Thats the day they announce the admendments to the current guidelines.

Please tell me where we can find the facts supporting this?? Thanks!

Wireless
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Done but need alot more signatures. I was 8749. It was very easy and only took a moment, please take the time. Every minute we can save our loved ones from prison is 1 minute more with us and the rest of their lives.

gigglez87
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
My boyfriend is at MCI-Concord in Massachusetts he was asking me about a bill that they are trying to pass to reduce the time they are in prison. He was telling me that he had heard from a lot of other people that the name of the bill was the Statutory Good Time Law...he wanted me to get info on this. Does anyone know anything about this?

smoser
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
My boyfriend is at MCI-Concord in Massachusetts he was asking me about a bill that they are trying to pass to reduce the time they are in prison. He was telling me that he had heard from a lot of other people that the name of the bill was the Statutory Good Time Law...he wanted me to get info on this. Does anyone know anything about this?

It's called the Good Time Merit Bill...check on the General Assembly website or just google it.:thumbsup:

gigglez87
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
It's called the Good Time Merit Bill...check on the General Assembly website or just google it.:thumbsup:

Thank you so much!

jessica78
03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Done but need alot more signatures. I was 8749. It was very easy and only took a moment, please take the time. Every minute we can save our loved ones from prison is 1 minute more with us and the rest of their lives.

Wireless where can i support this signature?
Thanks jess.:)

myantelope
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
My boyfriend told me last night that they did pass that last Thursday 3/19/2009 for the 65%. Well he was told that by a fellow inmate; let's hope that it is true.

scoopster
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Contact FAMM, they will know more about any federal legislation being passed like this, here is their website. Families Against Mandatory Minimums. I can see a federal bill passing faster than a state bill. In Ohio, the population now over 10 years later has increased, but also when they passed it, Ohio's prison director was hoping to build 9 more prisons, instead the state budget backfired, and they had to close two state prisons, and the population keep growing and growing.

The funny part is all these bigger and stricter laws passed everywhere over the last 10 years to be hard on crime, now city and state budgets have backfired, therefore having to close lots of jails and prisons nationwide.

http://famm.org/

AB's wife
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry but that definitely is NOT true. Oh, how I wish it was but it hasn't passed.

My boyfriend told me last night that they did pass that last Thursday 3/19/2009 for the 65%. Well he was told that by a fellow inmate; let's hope that it is true.

adriennelisa
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry but that definitely is NOT true. Oh, how I wish it was but it hasn't passed.

Since this gossip comes up so often, I told my BF that unless he either (1) sees it on the news himself or (2) I send him a copy of a newspaper article or a web page print out to NEVER believe it. It keeps his hopes down (not that it won't happen, of course, but that it hasn't actually yet). A little harsh, I realize, but we still have our fingers crossed :)

pati
03-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Since this gossip comes up so often, I told my BF that unless he either (1) sees it on the news himself or (2) I send him a copy of a newspaper article or a web page print out to NEVER believe it. It keeps his hopes down (not that it won't happen, of course, but that it hasn't actually yet). A little harsh, I realize, but we still have our fingers crossed :)

Unfortunately this rumor has been going around for at least 8 years. It's always, "it was signed yesterday" or last week, or going to be signed next week. Of course any time there is serious real discussion it hits the media in the form of, "the prisons are going to start releasing child molesters early" - that gets the public upset and calling politicians to complain.

adriennelisa
03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, my BF only has left 6 mos of his year sentence, so who knows if he would even be eligible if it was true anyways. I still keep praying for it because it would help so many others (even sex offenders who are still human beings!). But the roller coaster does more harm than good.

mylovemyfate
03-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Caifornia has started moving inmates to others states. Mostly to private, for profit, run institutions. They started with those that have immigration holds.
do you by any chance know how that works?:(

mylovemyfate
03-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I really hope this 85%-65% thing come true.

smoser
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I really hope this 85%-65% thing come true.

There is power in prayer...let's all stand in agreeance that this will become reality!:thumbsup:

ritat
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
If you notice the first post was written in 2004, this has obviously been on the table for years.

I think it looks really good for us now more than ever, maybe I'm just being hopeful who freaking knows.

I'm actually following a couple of things so if I posted in the wrong spot sorry, My husband has done about 80% of his sentence and the truth is he'll probably be home before any type of bill goes into effect.

It would be amazing to have him home sooner, keeping my fingers crossed.

iloveray
03-31-2009, 08:18 PM
My husband told me last night an inmate told him that he was told by a deputy warden that 2 for 1 credit would start as of midnight tonight. This is about the 20th time this has been said so I know better than to get excited but it sure is hard not to hold out a little hope. Even though we're close to the end of his sentence I want him home just as early as possible--even if it's only a day sooner.

pati
04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Here something to keep in mind, a warden or deputy warden would never pass that kind of information along to an inmate. However, some like to "plant seeds" and see how long it takes them to grow and spread. A Lieutenant once told me they do it and make bets about it.

adriennelisa
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Here something to keep in mind, a warden or deputy warden would never pass that kind of information along to an inmate. However, some like to "plant seeds" and see how long it takes them to grow and spread. A Lieutenant once told me they do it and make bets about it.

That is sooo mean! My BF told me that he heard from an inmate that a CO said that they (FLDOC) was "starting the paperwork for those eligible for early release". I told him that since the outside world didn't know crap about it, it was still really rumor. That the CO's would just start a rumor "just to see" really pisses me off! All of my BF's letters keep asking me for the news, it breaks my heart to tell him that it's not real.

majestic10
04-17-2009, 04:00 AM
I am not sure about the 85-65% but I do knwo that the congress is going over a bill to reinstate good time off under the bill of HR1475 there are several co sponsers on this bill that is being driven by Illinois Rep Danny Davis. It has 20 co sponsers on it right now and with a democratic majority in congress right now it is looking like it might pass but it gives several time in days off a month depending on the total sentence in years an inmate might have check out this website to get a basic overview of the bill http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-hr-1475 if anyone has any questions on this bill please let me know in a private message I have been researching this heavily for the last 2 weeks. get out there call everyoe you know to have them call all your congressman and women and senators to tell them to support this fully with smart thinking like this we can all get our loved ones home a lot faster where they need to be

PTO-97580
04-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I am not sure about the 85-65% but I do knwo that the congress is going over a bill to reinstate good time off under the bill of HR1475 there are several co sponsers on this bill that is being driven by Illinois Rep Danny Davis. It has 20 co sponsers on it right now and with a democratic majority in congress right now it is looking like it might pass but it gives several time in days off a month depending on the total sentence in years an inmate might have check out this website to get a basic overview of the bill http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-hr-1475 if anyone has any questions on this bill please let me know in a private message I have been researching this heavily for the last 2 weeks. get out there call everyoe you know to have them call all your congressman and women and senators to tell them to support this fully with smart thinking like this we can all get our loved ones home a lot faster where they need to be

Just a note for those that dont already know. Hr 1475 only affects Federal inmates

smoser
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
If it makes it to the Federal inmates it may inspire us state people to do the same...FINGERS CROSSED!!

cawarshefski
04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I have a question if anyone can help that would be great. My BF was sent to MCF on march 5th of this year 2009. he was sent to 12 months with 2 months knocked off. His out date is 1/26/2010. He said at first he will not go infront of the parole board until 4 or 5 months before his out date. Well today he got a call out and the counslor told him he goes up infront of the board on may 13 (next month). He said he just seen the board last month what was going on. She told him well they are letting a lot of people go home maybe this is good news for you. Does this make sense to anyone else? I don't want to get my hopes up on this. Is there anything else the parole board wants to see him for??

mom city
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I would also like to know what link to support signature
Mom City.

beccasmom
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
My 22 year old daughter just got sentenced to 4 years in Fed prison and a reduction of her sentence would be so welcomed. I am signing.

While money talks, Chocolate Sings...

majestic10
04-18-2009, 09:14 PM
as its sits now there is not any good time served off in federal prison that is where HR1475 will help lower the sentences for especially non violent first time offenders. please go and talk with your reps in congress and get them to back this bill. Its just a start but you have to start somewhere. thanks all

rideordieforhim
04-29-2009, 01:43 AM
is the L.E.R.A. still in effect for 2009?

i am also looking for the proposed federal action about reduction of 85%...

smoser
04-29-2009, 08:15 AM
is the L.E.R.A. still in effect for 2009?

i am also looking for the proposed federal action about reduction of 85%...

What is the L.E.R.A??

Thanks!

stillstanding
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Majestic, there currently IS GCT for federal inmates, just not enough. The current GCT is supposed to be a whopping 15%, but actually works out to about 12.5% because of the BOP's screwy way of doing things. HR1475 would increase the amount of GCT depending on length of original sentence and work while incarcerated. It's a good bill and if it doesn't pass now with this congress and this president, it probably never will, so write, call, fax, your reps and let them know how you feel about it....talking points can be had through FedCURE and there is also more discussion and information about this available in the federal forum.

missangie73
05-09-2009, 09:22 AM
hi, i heard that too, my sister who is in prison had heard that and wanted me to try to find out if its true. that would be awesome. pls post back if u hear anything. good luck.

missangie73
05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a question if anyone can help that would be great. My BF was sent to MCF on march 5th of this year 2009. he was sent to 12 months with 2 months knocked off. His out date is 1/26/2010. He said at first he will not go infront of the parole board until 4 or 5 months before his out date. Well today he got a call out and the counslor told him he goes up infront of the board on may 13 (next month). He said he just seen the board last month what was going on. She told him well they are letting a lot of people go home maybe this is good news for you. Does this make sense to anyone else? I don't want to get my hopes up on this. Is there anything else the parole board wants to see him for??
i am not sure, but your b/f didn't recieve a lot of time, maybe his crime wasn't serious and they feel its ok to release him due to over crowding, one thing for sure, they're not going to give him more time. good luck to u.

Ernies_wife
05-09-2009, 10:37 AM
How do you find out if they are really doing this reduction in June? My husband first told me about this website due to the fact he heard someone said they are reducing to 65%. This would put him home in a year and 8 mo instead if 2.5 yr. Is this going to be retroactive? Does anyone know, and can you provide a link? This is so imortant to us all.
Thanks for any info anyone can provide me.

saborami
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
my husband is in fed. and he told me about that the same thing. so i want to know too. let me knowHas Anyone Heard Of A New Law They Are Coming Out With In June? Well It Would Be That Instead Of Doing 85% Of Your Time It Will Be 65%.......is This True? My Husband Badly Wants To Know!

NaNa7
05-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Hope this helps to clear up what is before Congress

http://www.famm.org/Programs/USCongress/BillsinCongress.aspx

cooperH
05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
The number of signatures has nothing to do with getting any legislation passed; it may get a lawmaker an idea about the support for it, but there is no magic number of signatures that will get any bill passed. Think aboout it: if numbers alone could pass a bill, then why would we have legislators. This is another hoax.

MrsJR
05-09-2009, 05:55 PM

A lot of us on PTO have heard of it, but whether or not it will happen in June is debatable....

MsMubin
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
How do I go about placing a petition on prison talk,for the wrongfully convicted prisoners waiting to get justice and not being acknowledged.I wrote a letter to president Obama about that not being an issue Of concern on the presidents Website,I was surprise that this problem as big as it is,Is not one of importance on the presidents list of issue to address.Lets make it one,How can I get my petition out there for prison talk members can sign It and have It address by the senate.

NaNa7
05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
The number of signatures has nothing to do with getting any legislation passed; it may get a lawmaker an idea about the support for it, but there is no magic number of signatures that will get any bill passed. Think aboout it: if numbers alone could pass a bill, then why would we have legislators. This is another hoax.

Signatures on a petition mean alot. It puts pressure on the congressman if
they want to be re-elected. If the constituents in the area they represent aren't interested, they want bother with it.

Sen Webb is a rare. Most in the area he represents are tuff on crime. The ones you see going all out for reform year after year come from
areas that want change.

Pressure has to be on all of them, especially those on the Judicairy Committee.

Randy'sWife
05-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Please everyone, I just went to the link that's listed in a post above, only eight thousand and something signatures. Please tell all your friends. This legislature must get passed.

Butch Cassidy
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
All well and good but have you thought about what you are going to do once your loved ones get out?:idea:

For example, I've been out since 2005 and still can't find work or some semblance of a normal life.:cool:

NaNa7
05-12-2009, 12:39 AM
All well and good but have you thought about what you are going to do once your loved ones get out?:idea:

For example, I've been out since 2005 and still can't find work or some semblance of a normal life.:cool:

I hope and pray the classes and preparation he is doing while in there will help when he gets out. Am doing my part and so is is brother as far as making the right connections before he comes home. Our church is very good at helping people re-enter society.
He has a lot of support. The ball is in his court, how he runs with it is up to him.
I hope things get better for you.

cutieto
05-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Has anyone heard of the Arizona budget bill to be passed on early time out and then go on house arrest. My son said it is going around the prison that it might pass.

stillstanding
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Whoa...this thread is all over the place...so many apples and oranges being mixed up in here, it's like a giant fruit salad!
HR1475, if passed by the House, introduced and then passed in the Senate, and finally signed by the President, will increase the potential for earned goodtime for FEDERAL inmates. It won't have anything to do with what happens in various states.
It hasn't been voted on yet, is still in the Judiciary Committee, and so there's no way anything is going to happen June 1. This is rumor, much as I'd like it to be true. There is no other legislation in the works at the moment that would reduce 85% to 65% for all federal inmates. There are no plans to just start letting people go to reduce overcrowding or anything like that. The feds'd mortgage our great, great, GREAT grandchildren to finance more prisons before they'd do that. More information about HR 1475 and other federal legislation can be found in the federal "Legal News & Events" forum.
For information leglslation in a particular state, your best bet would probably be that state's own forum.
And Butch....I can sure understand where you're coming from...I know the situation with the economy is making it even worse. I hope it turns around and you can find something soon. But in all honesty, job or no job, with few exceptions, out is better than in. I hope to see HR 1475 passed and signed into law, and soon.

babiegirlsmith
05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
My husband got 5 years with 85% on 5-7-09 they gave him 128 days credit as he was arrested 1-8-09 he was transford to dvi on 5-22-07 The Judge did say for good behavior he could take off another 15% making it 70% of the time I heard it with ny own ears yet everyone says it will never happen so who knows when he will get out

bigredglasses
06-01-2009, 12:25 AM
The "good time" bill proposed by rep. Danny Davis, has a long ways to go before it becomes law, if it does at all. Every so often someone starts the rumor thaT it has passed, but it has not. I spoke with the rep from FAMM asking her to address this news. No truth to it. FAMM and Fedcure are the best web sites to stay current on what is happening with these events.

<hart's girl>
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I am lookin for info on the law bout 85% to 65% in the state of Az if anyone has info or can tell me were to look fo it please do tell this is killin me and my hubby hes got 9 1/2 years left so any lil bit helps thanks :thumbsup:

surgarfoot
06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
please when you find out I would also like to know if this is true, my son is sentenced to 35years, and also what about parole, I heard they were bringing parole back to Florida

Hisoneandonly
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone heard anything about this being passed in VA my husband mentioned it but I can't find anything so it may just be jail talk?

harasubam
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
all bills pertaining to good credit bill or reducing time from 85 to 65 failed as they have failed4 years in a row now in va.

ryansheart
06-17-2009, 06:57 AM
:angry: My boyfriend is locked up in a Missouri Correctional Center and he told me that there is a roomer around there that there is a bill in effect that is supposed to drop the 85% law, but I haven't been able to find anything on it either. I spend hours on line trying to find information about this. If I hear anything I will let you know, please do the same for me. He was sentenced to 12 years and must serve 85% of his sentence, which is 9 years. He has done 3 and a half, so only 6 more years to go!!!
Were from missouri to and I have heard that same thing I have also heard that missouri prison budget was turned down and it was on ccn two nights ago ,

lin787
06-17-2009, 02:44 PM
site is not opening now. I'll come back

AzJoy
06-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I have heard that, my daughter was in the jail when it was announced, shes now in perryville but its due to everything getting too crowded

O'KERT1348
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM

I really want to know as well! My husband told me the same thing today and I've been online looking up as much as I could on the subject and only found out that some of the new laws may give low level offenders the ability to serve their last yr on house arrest...also thanks to the budget crises in CA other offenders may be released early but that won't take effect til at least July 1, 2009 so we may not know exact details til then. I hope that helps a little...

guera06
06-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Does anyone know about a law that illegal aliens will be deported before thay serve there full sentence?

Jocenana
06-24-2009, 08:06 AM
In Florida in order to cut down on overpopulation alot of illegal aliens are being deported before finishing their sentences. I know of about 20 of them and most still have 5-8yrs left on there sentences and ICE came and had them sign voluntary deportation orders and they are told to be ready at anytime to go back home....sentence done and completed and what is stopping them from coming back and doing it again?????

harasubam
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi sammy18, I just got out of county and heard the same thing. some guys said it was in effect but I never found out for sure. Have you had any luck or response. I'm still looking at prison time and I appreciate any help. Most of the guys in jail hadn't had any luck finding out from thier attorneys. let me know if you found anything out. Thanks blink3557

first off you must check with your own state for stuff like this. but there are no new laws for the states i have checked sorry but this rumour goes around every few months especially jan and june because that is the months new laws take effect.

harasubam
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
This is the federal legislation information, which is gaining a lot of momentum. Senator Hatch is even talking about introducing it on the Senate side.

The Two Million Signature Campaign

We are shooting for over 2,000,000 signatures on the LERA petition!

That is one signature for every person incarcerated in the United States!

H.R.4752
Title: To amend title 18, United States Code, to award credit toward the service of a sentence to prisoners who participate in designated educational, vocational, treatment, assigned work, or other developmental programs, and for other purposes.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.04752 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.04752):

Help make this a reality!

Pass it on!
www.advocareflash.org (http://www.advocareflash.org/)

www.fppp.org (http://www.fppp.org/)

www.vacure.org (http://www.vacure.org/)

http://******************/group/LERAlegislation/ (http://******************/group/LERAlegislation/)
Also, I know that Virginia has a similar piece sitting in committee, and Iowa, New Hampshire and others have looked at this type of legislation.

Virginia's SB75
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=041&typ=bil&val=sb75

the bill you have here is for 2004 and was shot down over and over since that time...
Offered January 14, 2004 Prefiled January 6, 2004

michael43304
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I believe I was reading on one of the government websites that it will come up in November 2009 for the votes on whether it should be passed or not.
antonys wife, I was told there is no real law...i put information on the new york state site about it, early release laws...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------SHERRIEC09 also told me this....

LuvenMyBabyBoy
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I hope it is passed if it does come up in November. Each time I try to look up the bill for more information on the bill I can never seem to find anything else on it.

kerrlo2009
07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
The following link takes you to an online petition to support HR1475. I thought the letter was well written. Also, once you complete your data and sign/submit, it is automatically sent to your state representatives as well as Barack Obama. They currently have 2000 some signatures and their goal is to collect 100,000. The petition ends on December 1st.

http://www.change.org/actions/view/co-sponsor_hr_1475_good_time_bill

MOTHER OF HIM
07-31-2009, 08:09 AM
The prison would not tell you ( if it was true ) as if it's fed...it has to got to the all the chancles the house the floor, it has to pass all of that be-4 the white house to be signed into law. It is many places you can read of the bills but after about year i was so sick of the changes made to it the new name it was given so on and so on....a norman person as my self was lost but they do i think it's something new coming up..but it might 50 yrs be -4 they do anything....the 85 % rule has been what 30 yrs now.....but they know to many are asking why 's and it might just happen .....who knows
you know the co's are union.....big money and they don't want to lose a inmate to the more inmates. They more of a stable job......
Sick of this mess sorry no postive here today

MikesBabydoll09
08-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I heard something around november too :) hopefully its right. Atty said that everyone in DC is talking highly about it :)- trust me I think our attorney would be ecstatic for it to pass :)

629sweetie
08-21-2009, 06:47 PM
There is a bill sponsored by Rep. S. Jackson-Lee of TX that is called the Federal Prison Bureau Nonviolent Offender Relief Act of 2009. It is still active as far as I know...you can do a search and find more information about it. It is for those inmates 45 years and older who have served at least half of their sentence and as the name implies for nonviolent offenders. I'm not sure if my husband would be considered such as he is in for a non-contact sexual offense. He is due to be released in June 2010.

SoSad26
08-22-2009, 12:45 AM
So the original post was from 04. Is there a bill currently that is asking for 65% of sentences in CA instead of 85%

Mystic_33
08-22-2009, 01:22 AM
What I have been informed is, that info is just a rumor that has been flying around for years. Now who knows with all of the changes that are supposed to take place.

soldier
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi sammy18, I just got out of county and heard the same thing. some guys said it was in effect but I never found out for sure. Have you had any luck or response. I'm still looking at prison time and I appreciate any help. Most of the guys in jail hadn't had any luck finding out from thier attorneys. let me know if you found anything out. Thanks blink3557

I heard that there is no law in effect right now.It use to be 65% then Arizona moved it to 85%. As far as the new law in June there was at least 7 states thought about the early release due to the economy, but there was alot of doubt.However Im reading a sight that came off the news that states california senate aprroved a plan to trim the states prison population by 27,000 inmates.Republicans was against it which I was surprised. Anyway it was supported by Legislatures Democractic majority and Arnold.It would let thousands be released early or avoid prison all together,intended to cut 1.2 billion.The list goes on,but the head line read:With lawmakers divided,California considers plan to release inmates early as way to save cash. So right now the plan is the only thing that passed not law. It looks good though,Arizona usually follows cal. Hope this helps. Soldier.

Mystic_33
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes we are waiting to hear the news on the votes that were supposed to do on Monday!! I do hope they consider changing the percentage. However I have heard that has been a rumor for years and the CO's always start it..

Malcolm's sis
08-26-2009, 05:47 AM

HR 1475 could increase prison camp 'good time' up to 50%
(10 YEARS = 5 YEARS) BUT first the bill has to get out of committee and on to the house floor. YOU can help!!

STEP 1 " CALL REP. JOHN CONYERS.
TEL 313-960-5670 UNTIL 9/4/09
TEL 202-225-5126 AFTER 9/8/09

Have ALL your friends and family call John Conyers. Talk to his staff! Say

"I'M CALLING IN SUPPORT OF HR 1475. WHEN IS IT SCHEDULED TO MOVE OUT OF REP. CONYERS' SUB-COMMITTEE?"

If he can't give you a date, explain politely why your family can't wait.

Will update next step when we get past this first hurdle.

Mystic_33
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
HR 1475 could increase prison camp 'good time' up to 50%
(10 YEARS = 5 YEARS) BUT first the bill has to get out of committee and on to the house floor. YOU can help!!

STEP 1 " CALL REP. JOHN CONYERS.
TEL 313-960-5670 UNTIL 9/4/09
TEL 202-225-5126 AFTER 9/8/09

Have ALL your friends and family call John Conyers. Talk to his staff! Say

"I'M CALLING IN SUPPORT OF HR 1475. WHEN IS IT SCHEDULED TO MOVE OUT OF REP. CONYERS' SUB-COMMITTEE?"

If he can't give you a date, explain politely why your family can't wait.

Will update next step when we get past this first hurdle.

I am in California ?

sam's baby
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
my fiance is in flordia prison and he said there was a news paper article a guy had stating something had been passed on this 85% to 65% does anyone know what newpaper it might have been in. i cant seem to find anything definate on this everytime i look up something i get a new # for the bill so far i have bill # 1722 4036 and 1475 also does anyone know where i can go to get some definate info on this to read more about exactly what is going on and what the bill is all about to see if it would apply to my sam

Mystic_33
08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I may not have info correct but every state has a site where the bills are listed not sure what the sites are called. Try the state local bill website

only1love
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
http://www.famm.org/Programs/USCongress/BillsinCongress/HR1475.aspx

HR1475 is a federal bill that strives to bring back good time credit for federal prisoners to the way it was before 1987. It also has provisions for work credits.
It is not a state bill and no where in the language does it offer 65% instead of current requirements.
This bill is a good one, and follows the second chance act signed into law by President Bush before the end of his term.
Federal prisoners do not have parole and HR1475 is a step toward bringing parole back for federal inmates.

jjroman
08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
[quote=nettie;679692]A Great Place to get information about the 85% Rule...Reductions, Paroles, etc... Go to C.U.R.E. website.
There is a federal law called L.E.R.A. that is being considered for reduction of up to 50% (15 days for every 30 days). 2 Million signatures are needed right now to get it passed on the federal level... Go to C.U.R.E. and sign the petition online. Once the Federal Law is passed, the state will/must follow... So get behind this bill.
When I find out the exact website of the Petition I will post it...But C.U.R.E. has it and it can be found here at Prison Talk Online under Petitions.
HELLO, MY NAME IS JULIE. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GREAT INFO U POSTED. HOWEVER, HOW RECENT WAS THIS THOUGH?? MY BOYFRIEND IS IN RAIFORD, FLORIDA. STATE PRISON. HE WAS GIVEN 5 YEARS, ONE YEAR HAS BEEN REDUCED ALREADY. BUT IF THIS IS TRUE ABOUT REDUCTIONS, WHERE CAN I FIND ALL THE INFO?? PLEASE HELP.
WHEN DID U POSTED THIS?? WE R IN 2009> MUCH THANKS

loveispatient13
09-01-2009, 12:36 AM
When will we know the outcome of the votes that were taking place I sure hope they pass it my husband got 15 with 85% any early time he can get is a blessing even if its only a day earlier.

MikesBabydoll09
09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
From what I've gathered they're suppose to be talking about it sometime this month (congress or whatever) thennnn- we'll most likely know something by November. I'm realllly hoping this passes-

Itd be a VERY smart move for Obama to sign it and make it active NOW!

lin787
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
inmate in Holmes ci in Fl said it was passed, that is wrong info. An article was posted in the Florida Sentinal newspaper, its a paper that comes out 2 times a week. I was told inmates get this newspaper, but not true. the article was on page 6 on Aug.21.

highlyfavor
09-02-2009, 04:55 PM
will it b for all states?

missmyhubby735
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
:)I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH MY HUSBAND WHO IS PRISON IN FLORIDA AND HE'S THE ONE WHO TOLD ME THAT YES THEY ARE GONNA SERVE 65 OR 60 % OF THIER TIME INSTEAD OF 85% AND I BELIEVE IT WILL HAPPEN ON THE 1ST OF OCTOBER 2009. THATS WHAT HE SAID AND I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT UNTIL TODAY :confused:AND HE SAID EVERYONE ELSE IN PRISON IS SAYING THE SAME THING. :cool:THAT ITS IN THE TALLAHASSEE PAPER OR SOMETHING, PROBABLY WHY I DIDNT HEAR OF IT BECAUSE I LIVE IN SOUTH FLA.. BUT I REALLY HOPE ITS TRUE.. GOD BLESS..I'LL BE SO HAPPY :DAND I'M SURE EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS A LOVED ONE IN THERE WILL BE TO.:thumbsup:

missmyhubby735
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
How did you get that count down thing on your screen? I like it

MikesBabydoll09
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
highlyfavor- hr 1475 is for federal. some states such as FL are looking for doing the 65% in state as well.

AS long as hr1475 passes its a HUGE possibility that state will soon follow- we can only hope :)

MRSZ.JONES
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
inmate in Holmes ci in Fl said it was passed, that is wrong info. An article was posted in the Florida Sentinal newspaper, its a paper that comes out 2 times a week. I was told inmates get this newspaper, but not true. the article was on page 6 on Aug.21.

My boyfriend read that paper...he said they were talking about it on two newspapers. I called Florida Sentinal to see if it was true they said they dont know because an inmate wrote that article. supposedly it would be passed on 10/1/09 dont know if its true but everyone is saying its true.

MRSZ.JONES
09-05-2009, 02:44 PM
:)I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH MY HUSBAND WHO IS PRISON IN FLORIDA AND HE'S THE ONE WHO TOLD ME THAT YES THEY ARE GONNA SERVE 65 OR 60 % OF THIER TIME INSTEAD OF 85% AND I BELIEVE IT WILL HAPPEN ON THE 1ST OF OCTOBER 2009. THATS WHAT HE SAID AND I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT UNTIL TODAY :confused:AND HE SAID EVERYONE ELSE IN PRISON IS SAYING THE SAME THING. :cool:THAT ITS IN THE TALLAHASSEE PAPER OR SOMETHING, PROBABLY WHY I DIDNT HEAR OF IT BECAUSE I LIVE IN SOUTH FLA.. BUT I REALLY HOPE ITS TRUE.. GOD BLESS..I'LL BE SO HAPPY :DAND I'M SURE EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS A LOVED ONE IN THERE WILL BE TO.:thumbsup:

hey,im from south florida too..my boyfriend told me like a week ago that there is a new law about to pass on october 1st and they were talking about it on 2 different newspapers.hopefully it is true!!

lonelyB
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi! Wow! Just talkin w/ ol man last ngt & he mentioned sumthin bout 65% to me!!! Also in FL--he's actually up in the panhandle. I didn't know where he was comin from since we had such a shitty connection. Anywho....Wooo-Hooooo! Is there anything we need to be doing peeps or wat?!? Pls tell!!!

lonelyB
09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Gonna do sum checkin on this! If u peeps hear further, pls post or advise me?!? I'm newbie here-not sure how all works! ;)

LiviesWifey04
09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
what about NC????

MRSZ.JONES
09-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Gonna do sum checkin on this! If u peeps hear further, pls post or advise me?!? I'm newbie here-not sure how all works! ;)

hey my boyfriend is in state too...i have been trying to call Florida to see if its true but i couldnt get the number! lol...yes i gotta do all this i really want to know. he caught 15yrs n it would make a huge difference if they pass it!

SKHUGHES
09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
what about NC????

MY LOVE SAID ALL OFF NC GOT AN EXTRA 3 DAYS A MONTH ADDED TO THERE GAIN TIME IF THE HAVE A JOB OF COURSE SO INSTEAD OF 6 ITS NOW 9 DAYS A MONTH SO COUNT HOW MANY MONTHS UR LOVED ONE HAS LEFT ON THERE SENTENCE AND TIMES THAT BY 3 AND SUBTRACT THAT TOTAL FROM THERE PROJECTED RELEASE DATE. I DONT BELIEVE THAT ANY OF US IN NC ARE GONNA HAVE ANY EARLY RELEASES DUE TO STRUCTURED SENTENCING :cuffs:

love baby
09-06-2009, 02:34 AM
I am sorry to tell all of you, but IT IS NOT TRUE! Florida is still under 85%. The 65% is all rumors. I hear those rumors get started a lot in there but it is not true. I sorry to give u all the bad news, but I would hate for someone to tell me my man was getting out early and he wasn't. Even though it might have been in a paper in Tally, trust me if it was true it would be all over the new and all over the Florida region. You will find more thread like this in the Florida threads. We are all wishing and hoping they do change this and rather sooner then later.

NickStone
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
When I was in prison, we all dreamed about that law going into effect. But we knew better than to count on it. From what I've learned, pre-1987, it was 65%. (In the Federal system) Since then, they introduced Good Conduct Time, in wich they knock off 15% (or less, if we screw up).

* Anyone sentenced before 1987 still gets 65%.
* Currently we get 85%, unless we get some incident reports
* Good Conduct Time is roughly 54 days/year, deducted from the 100% "max out" date.
* Should this law go into effect, the days/year of course will go up, but!!
* Will this law apply RETROACTIVELY? Or only to people sentenced from that point on?
* We've been waiting for this law to be passed since it was first mentioned 20 years ago. We're STILL waiting.

beesaftee
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Greetings from Sunny Florida
The same rumor is being spread in the Fla. DOC prisons. If anyone knows how to find out about this for sure, please do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love baby
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Greetings from Sunny Florida
The same rumor is being spread in the Fla. DOC prisons. If anyone knows how to find out about this for sure, please do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is not true. Here is something from another thread

I know many of you are familiar with the 65% rumor. Here is a petition for the 65%. But it is for the Federal prison. The reason I'm posting it here is because I read in another thread that if the FEDS pass it, state will be next. So I thought many of you here in Florida will be very interested in this. I signed, I see no harm in it, I have nothing to lose, if it passes and the state follows yeah, if not well at least I tried.
http://www.change.org/actions/view/c...good_time_bill (http://www.change.org/actions/view/co-sponsor_hr_1475_good_time_bill)

MikesBabydoll09
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
did anyone hear anything on it today? was it suppose to be brought up through committee today?

someone gave a date on it, but i cant remember or find anything on it :(

myskyy3
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
i would like to know about the 65% because this 85% in bull, we are the only state that has that law and its because of Christi Todd Whitman.! So as soon as you find out please post it.

PTO-97580
09-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Just to clarify a couple things prior to 1987 it was a parole based system and those still incarcerated from pre 1987 charges are still under the parole system which very very few have seen a parole.

Current Federal GTC actually works out to 47 days per year of sentence

The current bill as written is not retroactive but anytime remaining on a sentence is subject to the new GTC that is not a 65% number. It is graded based on length of sentence.

This bill HR1475 is not out of committee nor is it scheduled to be voted on anytime soon. The bill does not have enough sponsors to go anywhere. These are all just rumors as has been mentioned before

When I was in prison, we all dreamed about that law going into effect. But we knew better than to count on it. From what I've learned, pre-1987, it was 65%. (In the Federal system) Since then, they introduced Good Conduct Time, in wich they knock off 15% (or less, if we screw up).

* Anyone sentenced before 1987 still gets 65%.
* Currently we get 85%, unless we get some incident reports
* Good Conduct Time is roughly 54 days/year, deducted from the 100% "max out" date.
* Should this law go into effect, the days/year of course will go up, but!!
* Will this law apply RETROACTIVELY? Or only to people sentenced from that point on?
* We've been waiting for this law to be passed since it was first mentioned 20 years ago. We're STILL waiting.

lonelyB
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi, peeps! Anywho...unfortunately, yes it is all rumors for FED or STATE inmates to be released @ the 65% instead of 85%. Wat terrible rumors! Found a really good site-but it is being re-vamped now, but a lotta good info there...it is Find Law dot com altogether. U just put in a search on there like 65% sentence, etc..Sorry...I certainly wish I had better news peeps, but thread I saw stated these rumors start up a lot thru-out the mos & yrs. :angry: We hav to just keep hopin & prayin I reckon!

emilyread
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Any news on this topic

tinman228
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
There is also a bill for good time allowances that is in the works. It is just in the beginning stages. As slow as things are moving the majority of the people will probably be out before it could go into effect. Here is the link for it. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475.
(http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475)

irusik0217
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
My Fiance is in Fort Dix, NJ, he has been hearing the same thing, and asked me to do some research on this....i found nothing strong enough to support this, only rumors......any one know anything different?

MikesBabydoll09
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Irusik0217- only thing thats out right now is the bill for it- Nothing is in affect. Its pretty much a sitting duck right now :\ not enough people on there, but we're hoping to hear something soon. contact your rep and support it

kellezgurl
09-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know if this will help but I have something that may be of interest. My soon to be brother in law was sentenced to 7 years in Tulsa on the 85% law and he just went to prison (William Keys) and his parole date is 7/2011 that's only two years from his sentencing! My boyfriend (his brother) was sentenced for 10 years for the same exact crime. His info hasn't been updated as he is still in LARC.

nightnursie
09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
My son is incarcerated in Florida and he has told me that he is hearing on 10-31-09 that this law/legislation is to go into effect for the reduction from 85% to 65%. I have been doing all kind of research and haven't been able to come up with anything concrete for it, if anyone has anything positive for it I sure would appreciate it as well. :)
Nightnursie

lonelyB
09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Very Sorry to give that news, but unfort it's all BS right now!

irusik0217
09-17-2009, 06:49 PM
very sad, i was hoping it was true

tinman228
09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Try going to http://www.govtrack.us and you can put the bill number in the upper right corner and it will tell you where the bills are at in the process. One is HR 1475 which is Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2009 and the other I believe might be HR 4036 but I'm not real sure. You can also type in key words like prison reduction and it will bring up all bills related to prison reduction.

jackieoinc
09-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone know if this is just for federal inmates? Thanks and God bless you.

prisonwife11
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
What the wives and girlfriend and family,friends need to do is start calling and writing there local government officals. Reps, senators etc.. Our loved ones are counting on us to do all that we can to help them.. My man has been under the old mandatory min sentencing for 11yrs he has a 19yr sentence to complete in the federal system. its not only just HR 1475.. there are like 8-10 diff fed laws that need to be voted on from the sub committee.. anyway i hope everyone calls and writes because we all can inspire to help one another.. thanks. and God bless..

Miss_A
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know if this is just for federal inmates? Thanks and God bless you.

It is just for Federal inmates.

MikesBabydoll09
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
USUALLY after federal goes for it then state is soon to follow- lets just hope we get Federal to do it first :)

irusik0217
09-21-2009, 11:38 AM
My baby is comming out on april....i highly doubt that this will take into effect before than.

MikesBabydoll09
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
irusik you dont have that much longer to go- BUT if it is signed he'll still be able to get out just a few days sooner :)- keep your head up and keep pushin for everyone elses guys/girls

badd bxtch
09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
What about IL? =/

IL seems to always be bogus when it comes to time.

MikesBabydoll09
09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
What about IL? =/

IL seems to always be bogus when it comes to time.

This is for federal so this would be for all state FEDERAL PRISONS ONLY! If federal passes then it'll be sure that state will follow close behind it :)

PTO-97580
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but thats not the case at all when it comes to sentencing and corrections.

If federal passes then it'll be sure that state will follow close behind it :)

rrwilliams
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
i havent heard anything but if and when you do please e-mail me is this suppost to be june 09 or 2010?:)

CHINA BABY
10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
:angry:I HAVE LOOKED AND PULLED UP EVERY THING ABOUT THIS LAW RATHER BILL AND SIGNED THE BILL TO PASS, BUT I HAVE NOT GOT ANY NEW INFO ON THIS. I HOPE IT DOES PASS. I NEED MY HUSBAND HOME AND OUR KIDS NEED THERE DAD HOME. WHEN I LOOK UP HIS INFO IT SAYS HIS DATE TO GET OUT AINT UNTIL 2015:mad:

Juanita204
10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Help!!!!!!! I'm hearing so much about this good time law but no concrete evidence. I need to know who to go to find out. I'm getting ready to sign as one of the 2,000,000. Please do the same:thumbsup:

Juanita204
10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Everyone please take head to this petition. If you have loved ones or know anyone incarcerated please take the first step to getting them home sooner and sign the petition
I'm having trouble finding out where to sign the petiton. Tell me where and how

BeingStrong4CC
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello 2 all...all though this post was posted some time ago. I was curious to know if there has been any changes to the 85% to 65% sentence. Particularly related to Federal Inmates. My has told me that there might be a possibiltiy to change these laws for inmates, anyone w/an update it would be appreciated.

yyz8
10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Help!!!!!!! I'm hearing so much about this good time law but no concrete evidence. I need to know who to go to find out. I'm getting ready to sign as one of the 2,000,000. Please do the same:thumbsup:

Please tell us where to sign!

rellswifey
10-13-2009, 09:10 AM
i signed it and got five of my friends to sign it !!!!!

tolong
10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Go to the federal forum on here. There is a thread called H.R.1475 update oct.2009. You need to call the numbers there everyday and get your rep. to sign up. Thanks.

Catoneswife
10-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Im sure bu now many of you realize this was not is will not be a "june" bill that's passed.... Famm is a great company that will keep you informed or you can simply educated yourself by doing a google or bing search on HR 1429 or 1475.

The bill is still in the subcomm. and my die as it did many times over, this is actaully the third or forth time someone has tired to hve it passed and most times, they die.

It meant alot to me when I read about it, however its been sitting still since May of this yr.

I wish you the best I want the sucker passed too....:)

Mcelvaine2007
10-25-2009, 03:53 PM
So that is a nothing still my hunny gets out in march and he is there on a violent offense so there is no chance of him falling into the early release????

mywife19
10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
So that is a nothing still my hunny gets out in march and he is there on a violent offense so there is no chance of him falling into the early release????

I wish I had more info to offer. All I know is that I sent emails and wrote to Congressmen, Senators, Assemblymen, even the President in support of this. Hopefully it will pass. I got a website that offers more info, check it out:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475

Hopefully this will give us some answers...God bless...

sweetblack29
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
please sign the petition there is 8,885 signitures we need waaaaay more than that

ANT~n~BRIT
10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
where do I need to go to sign the petition?

please sign the petition there is 8,885 signitures we need waaaaay more than that

mysonsinyankton
10-28-2009, 11:17 PM
You can track it on govtrack.us
As far as I can tell the status is the same:

Status of the Legislation

Latest Major Action: 4/27/2009: Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

nightnursie
10-30-2009, 08:34 AM

I am very interested in this also, my son is incarerated in Florida, and has heard this is to go into effect today, I have not been able to find anything out concrete on this issue and sure would love eto find some answers, would love to have him home sooner than later. Thanks.

crisco
10-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Dream on! You need to elect somebody from the Green Party or Peace-Freedom Party before Cali dumps the 85% law.

Pretty Toes
10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
this is for federal inmates only?? Not state inmates??

MikesBabydoll09
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
He's girl- that is correct. This is FEDERAL

MJKGIRL
11-10-2009, 02:00 AM
HR 1475 which will take Federal time from 85% to 65% Please sign we need 100k signatures ASAP for them to even look at this bill - This has other great Bills to sign like lowering price for prison phone calls etc....I don't have enough post to paste it exactly but i'll try to get it on here

Change DOT org and search for HR1475

WE CAN DO IT!!!!!! SIGN SIGN SIGN :) Good Luck and God Bless

missmyhubby735
11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
This lie has been going around since 2004. My man called me in September and told me. I did research and everything and found NOTHING. It was written by a prsioner and posted in the new paper, nothing but a lie to get hopes up. Hopefully one day it will be true.

MikesBabydoll09
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
its not technically a lie, i mean as for it passing eh its false truths- it is a bill, and they keep pushing for it.. well we all do actually. When the bill gets to committee though it just dies :\ which blows- itd save a lot of money tax wise, and put more jobs out there. >shrugs<

Lesliezack
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Here are all Bills in Congress

FAMM - Bills in Congress (http://www.famm.org/FederalSentencing/USCongress/BillsinCongress.aspx)

alcorn72
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I HAVE QUESTION TO ASK CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN BOUT THIS GOOD TIME & WHY ISNT ONLY FOR FEDERAL & NOT STATE OR IS IT JUST LIES CUZ MY HUSBAND HEARD BOUT THIS TOO AND HE TOLD ME BOUT THIS???????/:confused: I FEEL STUPID BOUT IT

Bills Lady
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM

I heard about it too and am searching for answers... If I find them i will post them. My man and I are anxious to find out as well.

Bills Lady
11-11-2009, 10:37 PM

I was starting to feel like an idiot. I'm glad i'm not the only one hitting stone walls. LOL My mans sentance was 13 years. We're 3 in. Wish you all the best of luck. If you find anything out will you pass it along. I will do the same.

MikesBabydoll09
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I HAVE QUESTION TO ASK CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN BOUT THIS GOOD TIME & WHY ISNT ONLY FOR FEDERAL & NOT STATE OR IS IT JUST LIES CUZ MY HUSBAND HEARD BOUT THIS TOO AND HE TOLD ME BOUT THIS???????/:confused: I FEEL STUPID BOUT IT

I'm thinking you went to ask why IS it only for federal. - Its just how it is :\

Good time is when the prisoner is good and doesnt get any strikes against him, he can rack up 54 days off his sentence a year.

Different states have different things- you may wanna check up on your state.

CatGurl
11-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there a law....a new one...where the inmates do 35% of their time?

sabb266
11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
H.R. 61

The Federal Prison Bureau Nonviolent Offender Relief Act of 2009

Introduced by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on January 6, 2009, H.R. 61, the Federal Prison Bureau Nonviolent Offender Relief Act of 2009, would direct the Bureau of Prisons to release individuals from prison who have served 50 percent or more of his or her term of imprisonment if that prisoner (1) is 45 years of age or older; (2) has never been convicted of a crime of violence; and (3) has not engaged in any violation, involving violent conduct, of institutional disciplinary regulations. The bill is intended to reduce overcrowding in federal and give those nonviolent offenders who are over the age of 45 a second chance.

The bill was referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security. There is no companion bill in the Senate and the bill is not currently scheduled for consideration by the House Judiciary Committee. FAMM supports this legislation.

sabb266
11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
H.R. 1475

The Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2009

On March 12, Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.) introduced H.R. 1475, the “Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2008,” a bill that would substantially revive the good time system that existed before November 1, 1987.

As defined in H.R. 1475, good time is the amount of time a prisoner, whose record of conduct shows substantial observance of Bureau of Prisons (BOP) regulations is eligible to have deducted from the term of his sentence. The amount varies depending on, among other things, the length of the prisoner’s sentence.

Congressman Davis’s proposal would increase earned good time, restore industrial good time (providing for additional opportunities to reduce one’s sentence by engaging in work opportunities), allow forfeiture of all good time credit in the event of infractions in prison, and provide for potential restoration of forfeited good time credit.

Although H.R. 1475 technically would apply to all prisoners sentenced on or after November 1, 1987, it would not be retroactive. It would not recalculate good time already earned under the current system.

Thousands of bills are filed in Congress each year. All are referred to the Committee or subcommittee of jurisdiction, but very few get consideration such as hearings or votes. It may take several years to develop the type of support needed for this bill to pass either the House or the Senate. (A bill needs 217 votes to pass the House of Representatives and at least 50 votes to pass the Senate.)

The bill has been referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security. FAMM supports this legislation.

d1amondz17
11-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Has anyone heard about the inmates (NY) knocking off 6 months if they has some sort or degree ie. associates, bachelors, masters etc. My baby told me it is official. Anyone else see or hear anything about that!!

MikesBabydoll09
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
As crappy as it sounds. DO NOT BELIEVE what your love ones say about it passing. I know its hard to swallow, but you've got to remember that they're trying to hang on to EVERY word they hear about something good happening for once.

I KNOW it sounds harsh, but its the truth :\

We're waiting on the 65% to pass, but idk if it will- I'm pretty sure with the way the economy is going though that it'll be a HUGE thing if/when its passed. If they have enough time to carry a three day long MJ thing on CNN/MSNBC and talk about the flipping healthcare reform I'm sure they'll have something up about letting felons out. Especially if its the drug dealers down the street, and the other nonviolent offenders- I'm sure you'll hear an uproar about it out here first.

Dont get me wrong, I REALLY do hope its passes sooner or later. Even if its 75% instead of 85%- Anything to get our loves home sooner will be the greatest thing EVER, BUT while doing research and like outraged has said, its (rumor) has been around since the 90s.. ONLY way to make something happen is to get out there and petition it! Get it noticed NOW, so we wont have a HUGE upset next year when it falls dead in committee.

Joshua's Mom
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
What you're hearing about is the Good Time Bill. This is for federal inmates only, state already does only 65% of their time. Everyone need to write their representative of their state supporting the Good Time Bill. Just type in Good Time Bill in your browser and information will come up about the bill and who you need to contact in your respective state. I've done this and had all my friends and family do this also. My son is doing five years in a federal prison camp. Only been there for 6 weeks. The difference between 85% & 65% is approximately 14 months, so everyone needs to support this bill. Hope this helps.

LM's Tinkerbell
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Has anyone heard about the inmates (NY) knocking off 6 months if they has some sort or degree ie. associates, bachelors, masters etc. My baby told me it is official. Anyone else see or hear anything about that!!

My Boo got the credit. He just had to apply for it. Really it is not a degree they need, just that they have completed certain educational requirements while in there, and had good behavior.

LM's Tinkerbell
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
What you're hearing about is the Good Time Bill. This is for federal inmates only, state already does only 65% of their time. Everyone need to write their representative of their state supporting the Good Time Bill. Just type in Good Time Bill in your browser and information will come up about the bill and who you need to contact in your respective state. I've done this and had all my friends and family do this also. My son is doing five years in a federal prison camp. Only been there for 6 weeks. The difference between 85% & 65% is approximately 14 months, so everyone needs to support this bill. Hope this helps.

I hate to disagree, but not all state inmates get 65%. You are misinformed. Supporting this bill would however help the states out that do not have good merit time laws, and pressure them into singing laws already pending that will help us all out.

bcpalmer68
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I would like to know if anyone knows of VA is going to pass the 65% bill in January?

JERRYSGIRL05
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

here in cali state inmates do 50%, 80% and 85% and i think the fire camps maybe less but as far as i know, no one here is doing 65%. as for the difference between 85 and 65%, its more. if this bill passed there would be a difference of 3 yrs for my husband. i so wish it would pass so he could be home but i doubt it will but i never give up hope. with our good lord up above anything is possible. :)

Spencole
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey, did you ever get a response on this? I would love to know as well!! Im new here! Whats your situation?

Lucky's Angel
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
My man is in MS. Dep. of Corrections he said there is a memo going around that 85% is being brought down to 65%. I really need to know if this is true, because he was hurt while at Parchman and they are doing nothing to help him. I need help on getting him home soon so he can get proper medical attention!