View Full Version : How long for visitation approval?

ariellenissen
06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
So it's been over a month i think or at least a month since i did the online application and sent in the background check fee and i'm freaking out that we haven't been approved yet =/ my friend told me she got hers approved within like 3 weeks, what's that about?! How long did it take everyone on here? And has anyone ever been denied? if so why and what happens after that? :confused: :(

lost4da1time
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
So it's been over a month i think or at least a month since i did the online application and sent in the background check fee and i'm freaking out that we haven't been approved yet =/ my friend told me she got hers approved within like 3 weeks, what's that about?! How long did it take everyone on here? And has anyone ever been denied? if so why and what happens after that? :confused: :(

Mine took like 3 mths to be approved.

ariellenissen
06-01-2012, 10:18 PM
damn that's insane! i'm sorry :( do you know why by any chance?

tripsgirl
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow. You have to pay for a background check?!
I just mailed mine in on the 30th and I'm hoping it doesn't take long.
My friend got approved the very next week and her man was at the same prison as mine.

dana1975
06-02-2012, 12:27 AM
It all depends on the prison but yes you have to pay for the background check and your application wont be processed until they receive the money.

lost4da1time
06-02-2012, 03:17 PM
damn that's insane! i'm sorry :( do you know why by any chance?

Mine was right before the background fee so they were back up with applications.

pss12
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Mine took four months because of a "glitch" in Lewis-Morey. I advise that you call and check on it, sometimes that speeds it up. The "average though, it supposedly 2 months or 6-8 weeks.

A&AlovesN
06-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I waited 3 months for mine to be approved and then 2 weeks ago sent in my boyfriends dads and bam he's already approved...I think it just depends on how "with" it they are when they receive it, there's really no method to their insanity!! Just everyday down is one closer to hi being home and you being approved :)

babedolls
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Mine was before they charged the fee, and it took 3 months... I had to keep calling after 8 weeks to follow up. What a pain it was, then they started charging! Thankngoodness I didn't have to pay for it... Good luck!

eprincess8
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I submitted mine on April 20 and it still is not approved. I called to follow up 2 weeks ago and was told they didn't receive the payment, but then they found it while I was on the phone. I was told it would be on the warden's desk that day and although it could take 6-8 weeks, it would more likely be 2-3. Hoping within the next week, and if not I will be calling. I strongly recommend calling and making sure they have received everything - just ask for the visitation officer and then tell them you are just calling to check on the status of your visitation application. Good luck!

tripsgirl
06-04-2012, 10:41 AM
We don't have to pay in Florida. I never heard of that until this post.
I called today to check on my application and it has been received just not approved yet.
He has DR court today.. I will be so mad if I get approved sometime this week and cant visit cause he's in the hole.

ariellenissen
06-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I submitted mine on April 20 and it still is not approved. I called to follow up 2 weeks ago and was told they didn't receive the payment, but then they found it while I was on the phone. I was told it would be on the warden's desk that day and although it could take 6-8 weeks, it would more likely be 2-3. Hoping within the next week, and if not I will be calling. I strongly recommend calling and making sure they have received everything - just ask for the visitation officer and then tell them you are just calling to check on the status of your visitation application. Good luck!

i sent mine in april 24th so please please pleeeease let me know when you're approved! haha hopefully i'll be RIGHT around the corner :)

well nvm haha i just realized you're in california not arizona so that probably won't even help me! lol but best of luck to you!!! :) thought this was just an az forum... haha

LadeeInWaiting
06-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Sometimes there seems to be no reason why some get done faster than others.
For us, he got transferred after we submitted but before approval so that caused a delay. Mine took about a 1.5 months , but his mom mailed hers and she had to wait 3 months.

eprincess8
06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
i sent mine in april 24th so please please pleeeease let me know when you're approved! haha hopefully i'll be RIGHT around the corner :)

well nvm haha i just realized you're in california not arizona so that probably won't even help me! lol but best of luck to you!!! :) thought this was just an az forum... haha

I live in San Francisco, but he is in Arizona - that's why I'm in the AZ forum :) Still waiting... I will let you know as soon as I am approved!

peopleposey
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Mine took 8 long weeks. I had to submit it twice as they lost the first one.

ariellenissen
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
I live in San Francisco, but he is in Arizona - that's why I'm in the AZ forum :) Still waiting... I will let you know as soon as I am approved!

oh i see! well yes please do!! i'm going crazy! lol thank you so much :)

ariellenissen
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I finally got approved :)

LadySDevil
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
A hint for speeding up approvals. Don't leave ANY blank spots on the form. I know they list some fields as "optional" but if you don't fill them out, it will take longer for them to process your application, than it would if you simply filled out the optional boxes as well. Not to mention, they may simply mail you a form asking for the information anyway. Giving them all the information, even the optional stuff, can mean the difference between it taking 4-6 weeks and it taking 3 months to get approval. It was a big running joke between us all that my mom with a prior record got visitation approval before my best friend, the squeaky clean preschool teacher.

eprincess8
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I finally got approved :)

I'm still not approved! Sounds like it might be another couple weeks. Sigh. At least I'm not visiting until Labor Day weekend - I left PLENTY of time! It would be nice to hear his voice though :)

eprincess8
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
FINALLY APPROVED!!! He called yesterday and it was such a surprise. But it was so great and he's calling again tonight. Yay!

ariellenissen
06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Glad you've finally been approved!!!! :)

eprincess8
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks! Me, too!!!

Wish is wasn't so expensive for him to call - even with a local number. Ugh.

Have you visited yet?

jibberjabber
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
How do you find out if you've been approved? Do you get a call or a letter? I'd hate to be sitting approved and not know it. Also for a minor's application, how long do those take to get approved since there is no background check or fee? I'm new to this and can't wait to talk to my husband.

Paulie'sGirl
06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Call the prison visitation and ask. Your loved one will get a memo and he will contact you as well, but it's best to follow up...especially after 30 and 45 days to see if you can get an update.

eprincess8
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
He called me as soon as I was approved to let me know. I had set up a prepaid cell and set up securus beforehand so it was good to go as soon as I was approved.

jibberjabber
06-29-2012, 10:27 PM
How did you get set up to receive collect calls on a cell? Did you have to put that number on the application? This is all so new and my mind is flooded with rules and regulations and waiting periods! Its frustrating and overwheleming!