View Full Version : Just talked to Telmate

Alexgirl
06-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I just talked to a lady at Telmate .16 cents is the base rate but it depends on your number? She said call back next week give them your number they will give you your rate dependant on your number so perhaps .16 is the long distance rate? WE may have HOPE

Ms. Devious
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I sure hope that is the case!!!!

Alexgirl
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I do too, I talked to her and asked if that was the set price she said it is the base but its dependant on your number she said they are taking deposits now on funds which im going to do but that they will be able to tell us next week what the rate is for your specific number so thats how it sounded to me.

Ms. Devious
06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Keep us posted please!

Alexgirl
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I will for sure Im SO on this!!

Melissa.jo
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I called Telmate today and they told me the rates are set. 16 cents a minute anywhere in the Country. The calls are still 30 minutes but if I only talk for 10 minutes then I only pay for 10 minutes. That will be a nice switch.

InmateLover67
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I just talked to a lady at Telmate .16 cents is the base rate but it depends on your number? She said call back next week give them your number they will give you your rate dependant on your number so perhaps .16 is the long distance rate? WE may have HOPE

Lets hope it is the rate for long distance....it would be absurd to have a local number and pay .16 a minute.

Peace~

Andresgirl3
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Weird how some of us are getting such different answeres. I just called and the lady told me they don't have a price yet since they are trying to push Oregon to have it a flat rate no matter if your long distance or not. She told me to call next week and by then we should know exactly whats going on. ? I don't like the .16 per min at all. I got a Pendleton number just so it would be cheaper. Now they're making it a flat rate. Idono if I like this at all!

JusticeDenied
06-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I was at SRCI today and got the ODOC handout that they are giving the inmates....unfortunately the rate is a flat rate for all domestic calls...doesn't matter if it's local or not, collect or not....All domestic calls are set at $.16/minute....international calls are set at $.50/minute....

Maximum call length is set at 30 minutes...one bright spot is that we will now be able to leave a voice mail message (for a small fee which they have not posted yet)

Missing_Him<3
06-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't know about any rate or how much it cost but I heard all this will be effective as of July first n they will be aloud a free five minute calls(:
But does anyone know will numbers still have to be approved? Because my brother was in county n doesn't have to get numbers approved to call

zachsgirl4ever
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Please visit the state of Oregon dept of corrections page. all the new info is there for the new phone system including rates. It is true it will be a flat rate of $0.16 per minute. It no longer matters if you have a local number. What a bunch of bull!!!!

JusticeDenied
06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
According to the ODOC handout that I got at SRCI, "Everyone's existing pre-approved telephone numbers will be transferred into the Telmate system" Also, any money left on the VAC accounts, will be transferred to Telmate on 6/30 around midnight... Calls will be free on July 1 (up to 5 minutes call) so that inmates can set up their accounts and notify friends and family...

If you want to call Telmate, their 24 hour customer service hotline is 866-516-0115

TLAn4ever
06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know how much the charge will be to fund the phone accounts, if any?

And checking the phone rate page, it seems they are subsidizing the long distance calling with the local callrates, since those are the only ones that will be increasing. Of course most people have arranged to have local numbers to try and save money, so it seems like someone will be profiting....

Athena26
06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
TLA - exactly. One thing that stood out to me in the marketing materials on the website is how profitable they make things for the institution.
This just feels wrong on so many levels.

Zelda50
06-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Here are the rates: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/PUBAFF/docs/pdf/update_im_telephone_provider.pdf?ga=t

GingerM
06-02-2012, 06:58 AM
ouch. $4.80 for 30 min.

Ouch.

I guess if you have an out of state phone number, this is fantastic news though.

One thing that caught my eye:

Forwarded Calls occur any time a call is passed on to another location/number without the original destination remaining actively connected. This includes using phone forwarding features, phone company rerouting, rerouting services provided by outside companies, and similar services provided by VOIP phone providers.

So google voice, while allowed by TelMate, is still not allowed by the OAR, technically speaking.

sonicblasted
06-02-2012, 08:16 PM
I think it's important to confirm if Google Voice is completely unacceptable or only if it's just for people who have their Google Voice number forward to a different number.

I believe that a standard Google Voice service number when answered on your computer using a headset with a mic and is NOT being forwarded to another phone number is not against the rules.

I am not an expert, but that is my understanding.

InmateLover67
06-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Here are the rates: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/PUBAFF/docs/pdf/update_im_telephone_provider.pdf?ga=t

This is such bullcrap! They try and encourage inmates to stay connected with family and friends, but they make it almost impossible to afford it......can't we not do something about this?

Sucks!

GingerM
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
I think it's important to confirm if Google Voice is completely unacceptable or only if it's just for people who have their Google Voice number forward to a different number.

I believe that a standard Google Voice service number when answered on your computer using a headset with a mic and is NOT being forwarded to another phone number is not against the rules.

I am not an expert, but that is my understanding.

Learn something new every day! I didn't know that you could do that with gVoice. I thought that it was only used to forward to other phones.

Thanks for bringing that up! (I mean it seriously). I take it that it's kind of like Skype phone calls then - that you sort of have to know when the person is going to call so you can be at your computer to answer it if it's not being forwarded?

sweetmelissagi
06-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Hi, My name is Sweet Melissa. My BF has 5 more yrs of a 12 year sen. We are now in different states! UGH! I had 2 more back in with my mom bcuz my epilepsy got REALLY bad & I have a 6 yr old I needed help with! He told me about Google talk where I can get a local # that is cheaper, but couldent figure it out! I'm goig crazy NOT TALKING to him! I dont wanna rack up a big bill on my mos phone as im on disability! She understands our relationship, but not TOTALLY, my dad passed but they were married over 50 years & my dad NEVER went to jail or prison (BUT if he did im sure she would back him) Sorry to tell u my story, i just registered & have NO ONE 2 TALK to, I need help to find a way to get a local #, Ive seen some sites on line & do have a debit card, but just want to make sure its a ok site & not loose my $! So if u can help, Id SOO appreciate it!!
Good luck with ur guy!! Looks like ur guys have about the same time..I say when they do time, we do time1
Take care, All my Love to u sweetie, Sweet Melissa இڿڰۣ♥

sweetmelissagi
06-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I called Telmate today and they told me the rates are set. 16 cents a minute anywhere in the Country. The calls are still 30 minutes but if I only talk for 10 minutes then I only pay for 10 minutes. That will be a nice switch.

Hi, Im new to this, can u PLZ tell me how to gett ahold of Telmate? I would SOO appreciate it! I havent been able to talk to my BF, I cant afford it! THX SO MUCH!!!இڿڰۣ♥

SoCalz
06-03-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm willing to pay the .16 if I can see him on my cell (skype, photochat, etc). I don't think the .16 will last for local calls. It's way too high. They got jokes don't they!

Zelda50
06-03-2012, 09:25 PM
sweetmelissa - You cannot set up an account with Telemate for the inmate until after June 15th. Then the phone system will switch to Telemate on July 1st.

If you don't have the call forwarded to another number with Google Voice, it would not be call forwarding.

As for what to do about the high rates, some ideas are posted in the the thread entitled ".16 cents" in the Phones subsection.

(Moderator - can't we get the phone posts all put together in one thread???)

Alexgirl
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
DOC just posted $3.20 a call for 20 minutes on a local number!!

Mrs.Miner
06-08-2012, 10:17 PM
got jokes - lol you must talk to yours on a regular basis. i agree, the price is outrageous, and i also agree that with the uproar we all can raise they may well lower it for local numbers. we live in ontario, but with him on basic and us having kids i dont get out too often anymore, and i dont take the kids. without a phone call, he wouldnt get to continue building a relationship with his kids.
the prison life sure is frustrating.

SoCalz
06-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I remember last summer they increased prices too and that only lasted about a month. And yes, I'm used to at least 4 calls per day. :/ He informed me that a lot of them have already written letters of concern. Question: Are these the rates for all of the other states too? And how the heck are they managing to keep up (the families)? I asked him "who really talks for only 5min?" And his response was "Me, asking someone to put more money so that we can talk more!"

GingerM
06-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Are these the rates for all of the other states too?

Each state (and the feds) negotiate their own contracts with phone service providers. So each state (and the feds) will have different rates. Oregon is changing to a new system with new rates through a new company as a result of a new contract, thus the rate changes here.