View Full Version : Nashville TN CCA prison GTL phone cards

hgearhart11
05-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I am trying to find out if I can buy the phone cards that my fiance bought at the jail in Davidson county somewhere outside the jail so he can call me at a cheaper rate than $3.35 per call. It only costs him $1.85 if he has these cards he bought at the jail but another inmate stole the money off his card. I called Sam's Club because some inmates said you could buy the cards there but they said that they didn't carry them. Does anyone know where I can buy these cards? I have checked the GTL website and there is no option to prepay and get a discounted rate for several months at a time. I can only choose to prepay $25 or $50. I can't afford $3.35 per call, please help!

Random79
06-03-2012, 01:12 AM
My man was in DCSO before he went to prison. That's strange though that you pay a different rate than he does with the phone cards. As far as I remember, it was the same rate when he called me through GTL vs with his phone cards. I don't think you can buy phone cards outside, but you could always put money on his commissary and he could use that to buy phone cards if that is cheaper.

aro
06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
If you get a local to him number (same area code and first 3 digits), calls should cost about 99 cents through GTL. I was paying nearly $4 per call, but now less than $1. Since they now allow them to call cell phones, it was worth it to me to change my number to a local one. Now I put $50 on my GTL account and, after the fees come out, we get about 40 calls. Hope this helps. Good luck!

hgearhart11
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM
My man was in DCSO before he went to prison. That's strange though that you pay a different rate than he does with the phone cards. As far as I remember, it was the same rate when he called me through GTL vs with his phone cards. I don't think you can buy phone cards outside, but you could always put money on his commissary and he could use that to buy phone cards if that is cheaper.

Yeah my man was at DCSO and now is at CCA across the street. He was able to buy the phone cards at the jail but they don't sell them at the prison. Other prisoners told him there is a website, I think it's googletalk, where I can get a local number and the calls will be around $1.85. However, all the other sites I have checked out cost so much per month to get this local number and when you add it to the GTL costs it ends up being about the same before changing my number. I am going to check out googletalk to see...

hgearhart11
06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
If you get a local to him number (same area code and first 3 digits), calls should cost about 99 cents through GTL. I was paying nearly $4 per call, but now less than $1. Since they now allow them to call cell phones, it was worth it to me to change my number to a local one. Now I put $50 on my GTL account and, after the fees come out, we get about 40 calls. Hope this helps. Good luck!

How much does it cost to get a local number and how do I get one? I have seen websites that offer local numbers for $20 a month or more and then I would still have to put money on GTL. I am new to all of this and it's quite frustrating because I want him home. I want to talk to him as much as possible...thanks for your help.

JTJwife
06-05-2012, 07:26 AM
The best way to get a local number is to stop by a walmart or other store in that town and get a pre-paid phone at the store. It may be $40.00 a month for the pre pay, but by the time you figure in how much you are saving on each call, it will be worth it. Instead of a long distance call, he will be charged for a local call.

Tims wife

aro
06-05-2012, 08:31 AM
The best way to get a local number is to stop by a walmart or other store in that town and get a pre-paid phone at the store. It may be $40.00 a month for the pre pay, but by the time you figure in how much you are saving on each call, it will be worth it. Instead of a long distance call, he will be charged for a local call.

Tims wife

I agree. I pay $45 per month for unlimited Straight Talk that is local for him plus anywhere from $100-$125 a month on GTL. But it still costs way less than it would have to keep my same number (still $45 a month) and paying $200-$300 for GTL. It gets somewhat expensive no matter what, but I have to be able to talk to my husband regularly or I'd go crazy! :D If you only talk once a day, the $50 should last over a month if it's local.

D's lady
06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm an hour away from my guy. It's a different area code though. I pay $3.80 per call thru GTL. I have thought about getting a straight talk phone. So...if I get one...I can set the area code to Wartburg tn? So that means I get $1.00 calls?

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

aro
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
It has been working for me! It should work. It has to be same area code and first 3 digits