View Full Version : Denied Parole 25 Times for Stealing a TV

JerseyMarine
05-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Let me preface my remarks by saying that I absolutely love North Carolina. Although I now live in my native New Jersey, I was fortunate enough--blessed, really--to have lived in NC for many years. The people of North Carolina could not have possibly been nicer or more kind to me. I will go to my grave with very fond memories of both the State and the people who live there.

That said, I respectfully wish to point out that it is in North Carolina that I came across probably the harshest sentence I have ever heard meted out in an American courtroom. What follows is the story of Junior Allen.

In 1970, Junior Allen was convicted of stealing a black and white TV worth approximately $140. Despite having no prior criminal record, Mr. Allen was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. Junior Allen as been denied parole 25 consecutive times. He is now 63 years old; he readily admits his crime(s); and he is remorseful. All Junior Allen hopes for now is not to die in a prison cell.

What follows is a link to an online news story that mentions Mr. Allen and his current legal problems:

http://www.wral.com/news/2662960/detail.html

Prior to posting on this thread, I went to the North Carolina Department of Corrections' website. Like most states, the North Carolina DOC website has an inmate locator feature. Junior Allen is still in prison today for stealing that television set some 34 years ago.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/apps/offender/offend1?DOCNUM=0004604&SENTENCEINFO=no&SHOWPHOTO=yes&numtimesin=1

JerseyMarine
05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
If anyone is interested in writing to Junior Allen, his address is as follows:

Mr. Junior Allen, DOC # 0004604
Carteret Correctional Center
Box 220
Newport, NC 28570

(His date of birth is June 24, 1940.)

If you are interested in writing to the North Carolina Parole Commission on Mr. Allen's behalf, the address to that organization is as follows:

North Carolina Post-Release & Parole Commission
4222 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4222

The e-mail address for the Parole Commission is as follows: Parole@doc.state.nc.us

If you are inclined to support Mr. Allen's parole by writing a letter on Mr. Allen's behalf, I would also respectfully urge you to send a hard copy of your letter to the following Parole Commission employee:

Ms. Leigh Kent
2020 Yonkers Road
Raleigh, NC 27699-4222

When writing to either the Parole Commission and/or to Ms. Kent, please make sure to include/reference Junior Allen's North Carolina DOC Inmate Number. That number is as follows: 0004604.

Thank you.