View Full Version : DOC cuts could force prison closures

LifeTraveler
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
BATON ROUGE Budget cuts imposed by the House of Representatives could force the closure of the Avoyelles, Phelps and Rayburn prison facilities, Corrections Secretary James LeBlanc said today.

In testifying before the Senate Finance Committee, Le Blanc said closing the prisons would save his department $25 million, by the time costs of closing a facility employee benefits, inmate transfer and other expenses are paid.

The rest of the article can be found here (http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120521/NEWS01/120521021/DOC-cuts-could-force-prison-closures).

lique
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
BATON ROUGE Budget cuts imposed by the House of Representatives could force the closure of the Avoyelles, Phelps and Rayburn prison facilities, Corrections Secretary James LeBlanc said today.

In testifying before the Senate Finance Committee, Le Blanc said closing the prisons would save his department $25 million, by the time costs of closing a facility employee benefits, inmate transfer and other expenses are paid.

The rest of the article can be found here (http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120521/NEWS01/120521021/DOC-cuts-could-force-prison-closures).

So what will that mean for the inmates that are housed there

knordyke
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
They will all be shipped to a facility that remains open. Double bunking will fill all dorms. The gym and any other space will be filled with bunks. DOC has ZERO authority to release so that is not an option.

So what will that mean for the inmates that are housed there

spiffy-heart
06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
My son says that the Governor uses this scare tactic every year to get his budget passed. My boy was in politics, visiting Baton Rouge legislators/meetings all the time, as his job. I hope he's right.

Spiffy heart

LifeTraveler
06-07-2012, 05:13 AM
This time it isn't a scare tactic. Forcht Wade is actually being closed.

spiffy-heart
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
This time it isn't a scare tactic. Forcht Wade is actually being closed.

Wow! Where will they put them all!

kcwestbr
06-07-2012, 11:35 PM
My boyfriend was in forcht wade and just got transferred to Rayburn 2 weeks ago.

mzwilliams2011
06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
OMG, This is crazy, my husband is currently in Avoyelles.If this facility is closed how long will it be before the family knows where they are going? And Can they put in for a transfer if the facility they are at now is going to be closed.

ms.teedy
06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
My husband is in Avoyelles as well so please keep me inform if it closes. My husband was telling me they r trying to close it.

knordyke
06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
AVC and RCC dodged the bullet again. Neither will be closed.

My husband is in Avoyelles as well so please keep me inform if it closes. My husband was telling me they r trying to close it.

Leyton2002
06-10-2012, 11:51 PM
My boyfriend is at forcht wade. Spoke with him tonight. About 80% of the inmates have been shipped already. He is in the program which he will not complete until August 1st...he was told by the lady who runs the program that they will be going to bossier city correctional. I wish he would be sent to rayburn, way closer to home. About 5hours. That's out of the question I'm sure. He cooks,therefore he will prob. Be one of the last few moved. This will be the last visitation though...(fathers day) hope to make it out there...if not I'm unsure when well see him. 5 hours away for a visit behind glass? No way. Sucks that forcht wade is closing. Its by far been the best place as far as family oriented and what not. To me that is. Also, does anyone know if hb665 was signed by jindal ?

lcbrn
06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
No, HB665 apparently didn't have enough support to make it through a second reading in the legislative session :(

thisfamily
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
If Phelps has a possibility of getting the axe then why did they just move my jailbird there today just to incur the extra expense of moving him once again to a different facility later?