View Full Version : Are there contact visits for inmates in protective custody?

dmoneyswife
05-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Hello. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but is it true that in any California prison, inmates that are in protective custody do not receive contact visits? I don't mean "family visits" but regular visits.

Also, when they initially go to prison what happens and how long is it before we hear from them or can visit them? Is that initial visit behind glass?

Thank you

Lisa Jeanne
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but is it true that in any California prison, inmates that are in protective custody do not receive contact visits? I don't mean "family visits" but regular visits.

Also, when they initially go to prison what happens and how long is it before we hear from them or can visit them? Is that initial visit behind glass?

Thank you

I am new to PTO, but have been in prison. When I was in AZ. ISO (the same as ad-seg) I was allowed a contact visit with my mother. I might check the California forum. Or, the SO (I think LASO) California threads because many of them are in protective custody.

As far as how long until you can speak and/or visit? Again, it's been awhile. Your loved one needs to fill out a visitation and phone list to get approval. Not sure how long reception and processing takes in California these days. Maybe 4-6 weeks??? Check with other California members as they will know more than I.

Hope this helps and you are able to speak and visit with your Loved one soon.

Frog88
05-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes, you should be able to get contact visits with a pc inmate.

First the inmate will be in reception. There are no calls while here. You communicate through letters, and you can visit only once you are approved for visitation.
A form must be sent to you from the inmate, you fill it out and wait a couple months until you're approved. The inmate should let you know when you've been approved or not.
In reception its an hour visit behind glass.
When mainlined from reception to another prison (permanent housing basically) that's where you get the hours long contact visits and phone calls.