View Full Version : Parole Violation, New Charges? (What to expect)

kraft008
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
First of all, hello. My name is Meagan. I am new to dealing with having a loved one that is incarcerated so I would appreciate any advice and help that can be provided!

My boyfriend served some time back in 2008 in Centralia after being charged with an aggravated DUI and felony escape. He was let out on parole, and with only 9 months left on his parole, he absconded. He stayed out all night in violation of his movement, so he decided to remove his ankle bracelet and he left the state. After a couple months, and just a few days ago, he decided to turn himself in. He found out that I was pregnant and the pressure was overwhelming him. He wants to be there for the child, and he knows that if he continues to violate his parole, eventually he will get caught.

My question is.. do you think that he will just do the time left on his sentence? (Which he says would be about 4.5 months.) Or do you think he will face charges for leaving the state and removing the ankle bracelet?

I am due on Christmas Day and I want nothing more than my boyfriend to be there for the birth. It is so hard being away from him and the uncertainty is killing me. Everyone I talk to that has done time or been paroled seem to think that he will just do the rest of his sentence, but I am just not sure.

Please help if you have ever had any experience with this or know anyone in a similar situtation! Thank you.

MiniMoose
05-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I have moved your thread to the Illinois Parole, Probation & Release forum where it is a more appropriate fit.

chris idoc
05-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Megan, I am not sure where your boyfriend turned himself in weather it was in Illinois or another state, but if it was another state he needs to waive his extradition to Illinois. Once he is returned to Illinois he will likely be declared a parole violator and have to serve the remainder of his sentence. Yes, he will get day for day good time on the remainder of his sentence, which turns 9 months into 4.5. If he fights the extradtion which I doubt he will since he turned himself in, that time is not counted towards his day for day good time.

chris idoc
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I doubt he will face any charges for cutting off the monitor, forgot to put that in the previous response. It is possible but very unlikely.

KatieM.
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't want to be negative but in our case he was also charged with escape, by his original PO for leaving his placement and turning himself in the next business day. I am guessing from Chris ' response that not all POs would do this though. Our dumb luck.

kraft008
05-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've talked to a lot of lawyers about this and they seem to be pretty split. Some think he will get a new case with new charges, and some think they will not waste their time.

So KatieM., in your case he was charged with escape? How much time did he end up doing then as a result? Did he do the remainder of his sentence plus extra time tacked on?

KatieM.
05-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes remainder of sentence but with day for day and then an additional 2 years for which he is doing a year. Lets hope and pray this isn't the case for you guys. I should think you would know by now if there were new charges. We found out after a few days.

kraft008
05-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Well he is being extradited from another state, so that is why we have not yet found out. (He was in Kansas, and they are not filing new charges against him but Illinois might).

So once he gets to Illinois I'm sure we will find out whether or not they are starting a new case with new charges against him. :(

One of the other boys in the county called me this morning to let me know he is being extradited.. I'm so nervous.. I don't know what to expect. I just know that he told me it could be a month before I hear from him. And I'm not even sure what reception center they will be sending him to.. if they send him to Stateville where he originally went, or to a closer reception center in Illinois. Im so confused and scared. :(

Thanks for the hopes and prayers, I am hoping they won't tack any time on.. I don't want him to miss any of his kid's life..especially the first few years :(