View Full Version : Phone Call Help, Please!

socceraz
04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Can anyone help me with this? I want to get a prepaid phone for my hunnie to call, and I did rate my call on the securus website. I created a number with a 928 prefix (because it's the prefix for the actual prison) and it was still $4.60 total. How do you manage cheaper phone calls than that?

Any help would be appreciated! It would help me save money to actually see him, and of course for when he's home. :)

dana1975
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
The prefix and exchange number have to be the same as the prison. So you need a number from that zipcode basically. I just did this with Net 10 and gave them the prisons zipcode as the area the phone will be used in most. My calls went from 4.60 to 1.60. What prison is your LO at?

socceraz
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
He's in Yuma

socceraz
04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
The prefix and exchange number have to be the same as the prison. So you need a number from that zipcode basically. I just did this with Net 10 and gave them the prisons zipcode as the area the phone will be used in most. My calls went from 4.60 to 1.60. What prison is your LO at?

Would it be easier to add a line to my verizon account? Also, if I am able to figure out all of this would i be able to close my current phone account with securus and/or just transfer funds to the new account.

dana1975
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes you can add a line to Verizon for Yuma as long as Verizon covers that area and if I remember right I think they do. Call customer service and ask if you can have a local Yuma number. And for securus you can add the new phone number to your current account. Just call them and tell them you want to add a line to your account.

BiaP
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I was going back and forth between Net10 and Verizon. I ended up adding another line because in the long run that would be the cheaper option for me.

dana1975
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Glad you got it all worked out.

socceraz
04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Do you have to submit a new visitation form? How long does it take them to approve the new number on average

BiaP
04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
He had to fill out a change of phone number form. They told me that it takes two weeks but I told him the new phone number on a friday and he put in the form and called me the next day.

Paulie'sGirl
04-15-2012, 09:45 AM
YOU MUST request a 928 area code in YUMA, as the 928 area code includes these cites!!

Flagstaff Coconino AZ Prescott Yavapai AZ Yuma Yuma AZ Other Cities By Name Aguila Maricopa AZ Alpine Apache AZ Bagdad Yavapai AZ Bonita Cochise AZ Bullhead City Mohave AZ Bullhead City North Mohave AZ Castle Rock Yavapai AZ Chinle Apache AZ Cibola La Paz AZ Clifton Greenlee AZ Colorado City Mohave AZ Dennehotso Apache AZ Dilkon Navajo AZ Duncan Greenlee AZ Ehrenberg La Paz AZ Fredonia Coconino AZ Ganado Apache AZ Gila Bend Maricopa AZ Globe Gila AZ Grand Canyon Coconino AZ Greasewood Apache AZ Greenehaven Coconino AZ Greer Apache AZ Harquahala Valley Maricopa AZ Heber Coconino
Navajo AZ Hyder Yuma AZ Kaibito Coconino AZ Keams Canyon Navajo AZ Kingman Mohave AZ Lake Havasu City Mohave AZ Le Chee Coconino AZ Leupp Coconino AZ Littlefield Mohave AZ Lukachukai Apache AZ Marble Canyon Coconino AZ Meadview Mohave AZ Mesquite Creek Mohave AZ Mohave Valley Mohave AZ Mormon Lake Coconino AZ Page Coconino AZ Parker La Paz AZ Parker Dam La Paz AZ Payson Gila AZ Peach Springs Mohave AZ Pima Graham AZ Pinetop Navajo AZ Pinon Cottonwood Navajo AZ Polacca Navajo AZ Quartzsite La Paz AZ Red Valley Apache AZ Rock Point Apache AZ Roosevelt Lake Gila AZ Rough Rock Apache AZ Safford Graham AZ Salome La Paz AZ San Carlos Gila AZ Sedona Yavapai AZ Seligman Yavapai AZ Shonto Navajo AZ Show Low Navajo AZ Snowflake Navajo AZ Springerville Apache AZ Supai Coconino AZ Toyei Apache AZ Tsaile Apache AZ White River Navajo AZ Wide Ruins Apache AZ Window Rock Apache AZ Young Gila AZ Yucca Mohave AZ

socceraz
04-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your help I got the phone, chose a Yuma area code right away and its $1.60 now I just need to help him make heads or tails of how to get my number changed.

IS2012OURS
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
He can put in for a phone number change form through DOC. Then I would call to visitation a week after and check up on it. You all should be good.

When I changed my phone number I emailed securus and all you include in your email is your login name (or email) your 4 digit security code and a paragraph explaining what you want to do. But you can always call them and let them know as well. :)

Good luck and glad you got it lowered!

socceraz
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Is he still able to call my cell until my other phone number is approved?

socceraz
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
He can put in for a phone number change form through DOC. Then I would call to visitation a week after and check up on it. You all should be good.

When I changed my phone number I emailed securus and all you include in your email is your login name (or email) your 4 digit security code and a paragraph explaining what you want to do. But you can always call them and let them know as well. :)

Good luck and glad you got it lowered!

Im just curious cause if he can't ill have to go over to his parents house to talk to him and I always feel bad doing that.

dana1975
04-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes he should be able to call the old number till the new number is approved.

msgreenthumb67
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
My boo is in Tucson, I am in Phoenix. I am new to AZ AND all of this. I have a Cricket phone. I just mailed my visitation app w this number on it. Is there going to be a problem with him calling me on this??? If so, maybe we will just keep writing and I will visit as much as I can.

dana1975
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
No there is no problem calling a cell phone once approved. You do have to set up an account with securus they handle all inmate collect calls. 800-844-6591.

msgreenthumb67
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Thank you so much!! Should I go ahead and set it up? Just mailed my app last week. How much does it cost to set up?

socceraz
04-24-2012, 10:12 PM
$25 dollars minimum on the account if you are advance connect

msgreenthumb67
04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
If not advance then what? Just feeling out the options before I move ahead. It would suck to pay then for some unknown reason not be approved for phone calls/visits!!

IS2012OURS
04-25-2012, 01:28 AM
You might want to wait till you know your approved before you set up the account with securus. I think it takes about a week after your visitation is approved before your phone gets on through DOC. (depending on the unit and how fast they work)
you can always go to securus.net and get a rate quote.

Keep in mind that every time you put money on your account through securus there is a 25 minimum dollar amount plus no matter how much you put a 6.95 fee for every time you do.

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks!!! I appreciate the info and advice. I have very little money to waste.

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 05:21 AM
I looked that address up and found Jail Call Solutions and they have $49.95 for 3 months unlimited mins, 1 he same day service and uses your current number connected to their local # your inmate adds to their call list. Has anyone used this???

Paulie'sGirl
04-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Thanks!!! I appreciate the info and advice. I have very little money to waste.

If you have a local Phx number, calls from Tucson will run you $6.44 per call. Ironically, calls from Yuma are cheaper. The Securus account is a pre-paid calling system, where you pay up front to get calls to your cell or land line. Securus has the account with the AZ DOC (and other DOC) across the country. There is NO way around this system in AZ.

Newbies and folks from other states constantly comment on this board that they use google voice, magic jack, cons call home, etc etc. NONE of these systems work in AZ, as they are all forwarding systems and in AZ they will be dropped and your number blocked. The only way that calls can be cheaper is if you get a separate "local" number for the city that your loved on is located in.

My Paulie is in Tucson and I have been carrying around 2 phones for almost a year now. My Virgin Pre-paid phone has 400 min per month and I pay $21.86 PLUS I keep money on my Securus account. Now my calls are $1.84 thru Securus (plus the cost of Virgin). When he was in Yuma, I was paying $125+ a month for 20 calls, now we talk every day 2 -3 times a day, and my cost is around $60 a month.

Welcome to PTO.

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 05:36 AM
That which I mentioned is not a shortcut...it is jail calls web site that putting securus.net in the address bar brought up. I have cricket...pay $72+ a month the rest of my min wage income goes to rent so I am not homeless so I need the cheapest way I can find. May end up not eating so I can talk to my boo, you know??

Paulie'sGirl
04-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Having a loved one in prison is expensive....you have phone calls, visits, etc etc. In the last 2 years, I have driven to Yuma 18 times and to Tucson (i think) 54 times. I have finally lost track!! We are on the down slide and he'll be home this year!! I just miss him and need his butt home.

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Ok...understand that. Just when I went to securus.net on computer not my phone there was that jail time call thing. So they are not legit? This is NEW to me and I need a helping hand finding my way. Thanks!!

Paulie'sGirl
04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Won't work....in AZ! Some newbies try all the options and end up getting blocked and it takes time to change numbers each time. I chose Virgin as it's pre-paid and no contract and have had 2 phones for the last year. But it also depends on how often you want to talk to him. For me and Paulie---NOT talking is NOT an option. We talk every day, I have been visiting every weekend, but lately, it's every other weekend, due to my crazy schedule! I can't imagine not seeing him or not talking to him!! :)

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah exactly why I am asking but my man is only finishing his sentence...5 1/2 months. I'd rather be able to talk to him than not but I am just starting to get really established after being homeless for yrs. We have been writing...may just have to do that and visits. Think it is a 2 hr Greyhound ride each way for about $30 round-trip. Trying to get a better paying job and cheaper rent so I can do all this. But then when he gets home only certain FEW places will even rent to us. I don't care....I love him and he IS worth it to me!!

msgreenthumb67
04-25-2012, 09:12 AM
May have to get a cheap prepay like you...then what?? I just don't want to waste time and money doing it wrong, you know? Like you and your Pauline, my Jamil is very important to me. When does your guy get out?? Sorry for such hardships and long separations!!!

IS2012OURS
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I looked that address up and found Jail Call Solutions and they have $49.95 for 3 months unlimited mins, 1 he same day service and uses your current number connected to their local # your inmate adds to their call list. Has anyone used this???

Dont do that....your best bet is to change your phone to a area code where your man is and get the cheapest rate through securus. The route your talking here is only setting yourself up for wasted money, time and energy.

PTO78678
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Dont do that....your best bet is to change your phone to a area code where your man is and get the cheapest rate through securus. The route your talking here is only setting yourself up for wasted money, time and energy.

Not even cheap jail calls? They told me they will give me a local number with ASPC Lewis and each call will cost me $2.60 with securus, but their service is $17.99 a month for 300 minutes.

So will this option not work out?

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

dana1975
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Absolutely nothing but Securus ladies. Everything else will be considered forwarding. Its best to get Virgin or Net 10 that you can get a number that is in the same zipcode as the prison and put it on your securus account. It cost nothing to set up a Securus account. It only cost when you add the money to start accepting calls.

IS2012OURS
04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Exactly as Dana states...you'll regret it later on :(

But something interesting on their flyer I saw. Wish I had known about this earlier, I would have been more on top of my game.

AdvanceConnect™
Our prepaid AdvanceConnect account puts you in control of your
spending. Simply put money into your account to receive calls.
Add multiple phone numbers to your account
Up to $6.95 transaction on fee to add money to
your account (when you call or go online)
$0 transaction on fee if you submit payment by mail
(check, money order, cashier’s check) or via your online
banking service
180 day refund policy
A $25 minimum funding amount may apply
Up to $2.99 monthly wireless administration on fee may
apply for including cell phone numbers on your account

http://www.securustech.net/requestguide.asp

IS2012OURS
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Not even cheap jail calls? They told me they will give me a local number with ASPC Lewis and each call will cost me $2.60 with securus, but their service is $17.99 a month for 300 minutes.

So will this option not work out?

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Securus has a way of detecting these 3rd party "cheaper" collect call services and when they do they will block your number.

I also saw this on securustech.net

We have several account options for customers to choose from. Our most popular is a prepaid AdvanceConnect™ Account account. Calls will connect to all phone types such as home phone, cell phones, and internet (such as VOiP carrier) with this Account.

msgreenthumb67
04-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Ok now that my lo is at Buckley....the same area code, all I need is approval and Securustech.net? I asked at Cricket about phone calls from prison and they weren't sure cricket does that but I have a Datelining phone...bet that would?!! Anybody know? Also have an old Verizon prepay I could set up if it's off....been months since I used it!!

IS2012OURS
04-29-2012, 09:48 PM
yippie!!!! yes all you need to do is get approved and your calls will be give or take a few cents 1.80 :-)

since securus is prepay its not really accepting collect calls...they are paid for. I have a friend who has cricket and she gets her mans calls fine.

When you get approved set up your account with securus!!!!!

Congrats on him getting moved closer :-)

LeOnJeNN
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I have cricket and my hubby calls my phone :)

msgreenthumb67
04-30-2012, 12:00 AM
I had nothing to do with his bring moved closer that I know of. It happened suddenly Thursday the 26th. Last letter I got was written 25th and no mention of a move or problems so I'm concerned about why though thankful he is closer!!! Don't want to celebrate too early and it be because he is ill or in trouble, you know?

Rosario6-3
04-30-2012, 01:46 AM
hi, i´m in Mexico and last telephone bill was almost US $ 220.00, for collect call. I need save money. the new one is almost 120.00

IS2012OURS
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I had nothing to do with his bring moved closer that I know of. It happened suddenly Thursday the 26th. Last letter I got was written 25th and no mention of a move or problems so I'm concerned about why though thankful he is closer!!! Don't want to celebrate too early and it be because he is ill or in trouble, you know?

well try not to worry your mind tireless with the unknown. i know easier said than done but just hope he contacts you soon and puts your mind at rest.
tucson is a medical yard so if he had any medical issues that were serious they would have kept him there..usually.

were you able to find out where hes at...that way you can get a letter to him. when you call the lewis prison i think they have an option for inmate records..they will be able to tell you where he is at.

msgreenthumb67
05-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah ...that was an overnight stop on the way to Yuma but I haven't heard from him yet. Surely one day this week. I hope he is ok!!

msgreenthumb67
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
He is in Cibola now...a medium yard according to the count sheets.

flyaway
05-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Can anyone help me with this? I want to get a prepaid phone for my hunnie to call, and I did rate my call on the securus website. I created a number with a 928 prefix (because it's the prefix for the actual prison) and it was still $4.60 total. How do you manage cheaper phone calls than that?

Any help would be appreciated! It would help me save money to actually see him, and of course for when he's home. :)

As far as I know if you live in the same state then it is a flat rate and you can't get any cheaper than that. If you live in a different state where you are also paying a per minute rate then something like cons call home might be helpful.
I found that with the fee to make any payment it is cheaper to just accept them straight collect, but as far as I know once you set up prepaid you cannot go back to traditional collect (that was my experience in Idaho). Often however the inmates get a lower rate by buying phone time through commissary than we do.

Paulie'sGirl
05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
As far as I know if you live in the same state then it is a flat rate and you can't get any cheaper than that. If you live in a different state where you are also paying a per minute rate then something like cons call home might be helpful.
I found that with the fee to make any payment it is cheaper to just accept them straight collect, but as far as I know once you set up prepaid you cannot go back to traditional collect (that was my experience in Idaho). Often however the inmates get a lower rate by buying phone time through commissary than we do.

In AZ DOC, you can NOT use any call forwarding services. I greatly appreciate everyone's concern and love to PTO'ers with advice and postings about what "their" state offers. NO GoogleVoice, NO ConCallHome, NO Magic Jack, NO VOIP, NO SKYPE, NO email...just think of it this way...if it requires any sort of new technology, AZ does not participate.

Hell if the AZ DOC could get away with it, they would require all of us to have land lines, plugged into the wall, without digital answering machines!!!

sugey213
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Well my man is in red rock Arizona can some one help me by telling me what's the arecode from their?is cause I want to change my num for the reason that the calls r to expensive I live in LA..n I put 50$ almost each week n he just call me fri-sun for each 15or 30minutes they charge me 9$oh 10$ plus when I put the money for my calls they charge me 11$ damm that's to much money I been waisting..so i will apreciated is some one could help me:)

dana1975
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
The are code is 520 and the prefix is 464. If you can get a number with that area code and prefix it will be the cheapest rate possible.

sugey213
05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Thank u for ur help dana:) am try n get another num with the arecode..

LadeeInWaiting
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
just fyi -- you can avoid the payment fee by snail mailing payment. The only down side is you have plan a little ahead, and it can waste checks or cost of money orders. -- but for me every little penny helps:)

ADVANCE CONNECT TERMS, CONDITIONS & FEES

* When you call or log on; there is no minimum payment if you mail us a check or use your online banking service through your local bank. A payment processing fee of up to $6.95 for credit/debit card and check payments made over the phone or on the web may apply. This fee does not apply to payments made by mail, or using your online banking service through your bank. There is no minimum funding amount if you go to Western Union and MoneyGram; however, a payment processing fee may also apply. Please note that the balance in your Account may not reflect recent call activity. Due to our call processing cycles, it is possible to spend more than the total amount of funds in your Account. Please monitor your Account balance and use Rate-My-Calls (http://www.securustech.net/ratemycall.asp) so you know how much each call costs to ensure you don’t spend more than you intend to, as you will be responsible for payment of any balance due on your Account. You have 180 days from the date of the last call received to request a refund of any unused balance in your Account. For Alaska residents, there is an exception to that closing and refund policy.

If you receive and accept state-to-state or international calls, you may also be charged a Federal Regulatory Recovery Fee of $3.49. You may add multiple phone numbers to your Account to ensure you can be reached wherever you are. If you add one or more cell phone numbers to your Account, you may be charged a monthly Wireless Administration Fee of up to $2.99.

sugey213
05-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Well today I wanna it to change my num cause my calls r coming out really expensive and with this new company GTL more..like I have Metro pcs they tell me I can't change my num to a arecode in Arizona that's is 520 because they don't have any stores over in AZ of metro pcs..Can't somebody plz help me how can I do to get another cellphone that will get the arecode in AZ..

Chio
05-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Im in California and my bf got transfered to Kansas. The calls are like $14 for 15 minutes.I have a prepaid advance account with Securus.I added a Skypeline to a number with his area code, and they blocked the calls because its considerd call forwarding. I went to walmart bought a Net10 prepaid phone as well as purchased minutes. When I called to actívate the phone I gave them the zip code where he is located, and bamn I got a local # to his prison. I also called Securus to add the number.Its a prepaid phone, which means its not call forwarding : p

PTO78678
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Im in California and my bf got transfered to Kansas. The calls are like $14 for 15 minutes.I have a prepaid advance account with Securus.I added a Skypeline to a number with his area code, and they blocked the calls because its considerd call forwarding. I went to walmart bought a Net10 prepaid phone as well as purchased minutes. When I called to actívate the phone I gave them the zip code where he is located, and bamn I got a local # to his prison. I also called Securus to add the number.Its a prepaid phone, which means its not call forwarding : p

How much are your calls now? I plan on doing the same.

Aloha from far away............ Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk. Haim shelli.