View Full Version : Please Beware

msharvey
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I am so frustrated; I contacted an attorney in reference to my husband who is being held at a DOC facility in Louisiana. After discussing my husband situation to the attorney, I was informed by the attorney to bring him $10,000 because he’s friends with the judge and he can get my husband time reduced. I was so upset, that I hung the phone up. Please ladies/gentlemen; be careful of attorney’s like this.

lcbrn
04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately sometimes that's what it takes. I wish more than you know that my fiancé's attorney would say that, I would pay it in a second!

knordyke
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Let me comment on this. I am in and out of the prisons on a daily basis and probably do more prison related legal work than any lawyer in the State. I do NOT handle the types of cases that are being discussed here so please don't think I am commenting because I will profit. I won't profit because I no longer handle these types of cases.

Today I was in a state prison. It doesn't matter which one because I have heard the same story MANY times. Hundreds of times.

Here is what I heard today: If the prisoner would pay the lawyer 15,000, then the lawyer would go to the judge (who he was friends with and play golf with) and file a motion for reconsideration of sentence and get the prisoner out. IT IS TOTALLY A SCAM!

Most lawyers can NOT help you as a result of some magical relationship with the judge or the DA. Judges go to jail if they participate and the great majority of judges are good, honest people who would go ballistic if they know that a lawyer was saying these things about them. Another story I hear often is similar: The lawyer can help because he is 1) friends with the DA 2) plays golf with the DA 3) went to law school with the DA, etc. Again, this isn't going to help. No DA is going to go out on a limb and risk it all over some small fee or a long ago friendship.

The bottom line is that many of the lawyers that deal with prison matters can NOT perform what they say that they can. If they could, the prisons would be empty!

Prisoners and their families are a very vulnerable group of people. Desperation and hope drive folks to do really irrational things in the hope of freedom. 99 times out of 100, you will spend money for nothing and be very lucky of the lawyer ever answers the phone again when you call. I would like to disbar everyone of these folks that prey on my clients and their families.

While I am on a rant, let me also comment on post conviction lawyers. Many of those guys don't know what they are doing and simply re-package what an inmate counsel has prepared and file it for a big fee. Good post conviction work costs money! Again, I don't do this work anymore so I have no axe to grind. I do know some very good post conviction lawyers but they usually either work for a Govt. agency (public defender stuff), are with the innocence project or limit their practice to death penalty stuff. Some of us "older" guys are trying to train a few younger lawyers to do this. If you need a PC attorney make sure it is not someone who will just repackage another's work. Final comment on this: In "real life," post conviction cases succeed when NEW FACTS are developed by the lawyer. That takes hard work and also do not occur in every case. Pure "law" success is less frequent.

I had three calls TODAY for a "motion for reconsideration." It almost NEVER works. Read the law on this! I've seen inmates pay 20,000 and even 30,000 for a reconsideration motion. I think it is close to being theft! The law simply does not back the types of reconsideration that is pushed around by prison rumor. I told all three folks today that it won't work and to not waste their money.

The bottom line is that there are some real scumbags out there who prey on the desperate. We need to put them out of business.

I am so frustrated; I contacted an attorney in reference to my husband who is being held at a DOC facility in Louisiana. After discussing my husband situation to the attorney, I was informed by the attorney to bring him $10,000 because he’s friends with the judge and he can get my husband time reduced. I was so upset, that I hung the phone up. Please ladies/gentlemen; be careful of attorney’s like this.